PDA

View Full Version : For anyone that has quit Nicotine?

Kobe
07-31-2015, 03:57 PM
Soo I'm going to run out of snus (Tabacco in a packet) and I'm going to try and quit now that you cant buy it in Alberta and I've just wanted to quit since it was sooo expensive. I havent ordered any online but I do have like 10 tins of nicotine free snus for the time being.

Considering I invest pretty high amounts of money in poker for a living, I feel like it's going to make me pretty stressed and angry on a regular basis for a bit, and I'm debating playing lower stakes or just taking some time off..

I've read you never really get over it completely but I just want to be at a semi-normal state again before I do anything semi-stressful afterwards.

Has anyone had any experience quitting Snus or smoking? How long did it take till you felt normal afterwards without it, how angry were you on a regular basis till you got over it? How long did it take?

R154
07-31-2015, 04:28 PM
12 weeks before I didnt feel the desire to smash other humans and non humans in the face because I needed a smoke.

I have been smoke free for 1.5 years. Did it cold turkey.

I found that chewing on gum was more harmful then helpful because I would angry chew and make my face muscles sore.

The best way to mitigate the stress from quitting is to get a straw and fill it with cotton buds. I found that the action of smoking tricked me into thinking I had smoked and it alleviated the shock of not smoking.

I still crave to this day. Not nearly as much as I used to. But I do still crave, especially when I am around people who I used to smoke or drink with.

Its not so bad when I see randoms smoking because I didnt share an experience with them, so it doesnt seem to affect me at all.

Good luck. It is difficult. Dont give up.

A790
07-31-2015, 04:46 PM
Woke up one day, said "fuck this", and tossed the smokes in the garbage.

Had some weird dreams for a bit. Took a break off of coffee and beer until I knew I wasn't going back to it.

Biggest change was changing my routine. Used to get up, grab a coffee before work, and have a smoke outside the warehouse I was working at. Not much better than a coffee and a smoke.

I didn't start drinking coffee regularly again until a couple of years ago... and I quite probably six years ago now.

Best advice I can give is to take some time to form a new routine. It'll make it easier.

jdmXSI
07-31-2015, 05:26 PM
Haven't had a smoke in 7ish years.

Same as A790, just said fuck it one day and quit cold turkey with the exception that I would drink beer because that was when I craved it the most. If I could go without smoking while drinking, I knew I would quit for good. Haven't looked back and probably one of the best life decisions I have made.

All together, It took a couple months before I felt semi normal and a couple years before the dreams were normal again.

Good luck:thumbsup:

adam c
07-31-2015, 06:24 PM
I quit when my daughter was born, 6 years ago

If you have a reason it's super easy to do, I don't have any cravings for cigarettes/smoking so I would say that statement is somewhat false

The_1
07-31-2015, 08:51 PM
I smoked for about 9 years and tried pretty much everything out there and always went back
I got a prescription for champix and stopped smoking and taking champix in about 2 weeks
I've been smoke free for about 8 years now

JVR1
07-31-2015, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by adam c
I quit when my daughter was born, 6 years ago

If you have a reason it's super easy to do, I don't have any cravings for cigarettes/smoking so I would say that statement is somewhat false

^^this!! If you have a reason its easier. I never really had a reason till kids. Don't want them seeing me smoke or exposing them to it

All the health stuff makes sense but you need something that motivates youyou beyond that.

CompletelyNumb
08-01-2015, 12:05 AM
Chewed for almost a decade. Quit last November. Still crave it like mad.

Kobe
08-03-2015, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the replies...

I ended up having half a pack of snus left today woke up and said fuck it, ill start today.

Went the whole day with gum and a couple non-nicotine snus in my mouth and had 1 snus after i had a big meal.

Felt I was going pretty crazy all day and a 10min drive felt like i was driving 30minutes.

I feel it was killing me more knowing that I still have some and I can't use it than if I didnt have any.

Ended up taking the whole day off and not doing anything and just went and chilled with some friends in the afternoon afterwards. I'll most likely take tomorrow off as well or possibly take 1 when I want to play pokerz since it really calmed me down haha..

I sound like a degen but I feel it's good to speak the truth! I was never expecting it to be difficult to quit as I've never had an addicting personality.