PDA

View Full Version : Help me with tonneau cover.

16hypen3sp
08-02-2015, 10:34 PM
Hey guys.

I recently bought a 2014 Ram with the 5'7" box. I'm wondering about a tonneau cover.

Firstly, this truck has a wooden box liner. While I'm happy it came with some sort of box protection, I'm thinking I may go to Line-X and get a spray-in.

The next step is the T. cover. I think I may get a roll up instead of a fold up. But I'm not really sure which is better for specific reasons...

What do you guys have?

My concern with a fold up is fitting a quad in the box. Unless I just remove the whole cover.

Which type of cover is better and why?

roopi
08-03-2015, 01:40 AM
I've had a bakflip on my last 2 trucks and have no complaints. Never leak and easy to open. I can flip it up against the back window so I can use the entire box. The roll up ones seem as though you lose a few inches of box space

16hypen3sp
08-03-2015, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by roopi
I've had a bakflip on my last 2 trucks and have no complaints. Never leak and easy to open. I can flip it up against the back window so I can use the entire box. The roll up ones seem as though you lose a few inches of box space

Thanks for the brand name. I'm looking at those right now on their website. These flip up covers seem pretty good. I like how you can flip it all right up against the rear of the cab.

The one that is catching my eye is the bakflip HD.
http://bakfliptonneaucover.com/photo_gallery2

Darell_n
08-03-2015, 08:24 AM
I've had an Undercover and bedrug on my last two trucks, including the same truck you have. It is inexpensive, pressure washer proof and light. But if you are regularly loading a quad it will get tiring. Stop at the Truck Outfitters on Blackfoot Trail and the manager there is great to deal with. (Very, very few retail places get any praise at all from me)

bjstare
08-03-2015, 08:44 AM
+1 for backflip, my dad has it on one of his trucks. Thing is awesome, never leaks, easy to use.

codetrap
08-03-2015, 08:52 AM

r3ccOs
08-03-2015, 08:55 AM
overkills... but you could:

bedline to prevent corrosion
plastic liner to prevent dents
rubber mat to keep items from moving
and get a tonneau cover like the Bakflip or Undercover flip... which I suggest paying extra for the HD so that hail won't dent it.

haggis88
08-03-2015, 10:05 AM
How much markup do dealers usually put on Tonneaus as accessories?

Would be looking for one for the new truck when we pull the trigger, but I also like the idea of a cap!

OTown
08-03-2015, 12:49 PM
I have the undercover flex. Highly recommended. Got mine from the Auto Truck Depot on 42 Av/Macleod Tr great guys and easy to deal with

schurchill39
08-03-2015, 01:18 PM
I have had the Truxedo lo-pro on two of my trucks now and I love it. I prefer the soft roll because its super easy to manage and it doesn't rest against my truck when its up.

I bought my last one from partsengine.ca because they would match any canadian online retailer for price. Dealing with them was super easy and it delivered in under a week.

leftwing
08-03-2015, 06:27 PM
+1 For Backflip

Have had it over for 3 years and no problems, leaks or anything.

In regards to price, when I was shopping around for mine every store was within $5-$10 of each other, and lots of places price matched if I did find a lower price (I didnt).

16hypen3sp
08-03-2015, 07:04 PM
Do these places you guys are naming have these covers in stock or do they have to order them in?

Darell_n
08-03-2015, 08:43 PM
Truck Outfitters stocks the best sellers, a couple of days wait for the rest.

16hypen3sp
08-03-2015, 10:31 PM
How about Cap-it? They have a T. Cover than seems comparable. Plus they are close to my place.

http://cap-it.com/products-by-type/tonneau-covers/cap-it-premium-solid-fold/cap-it-truck-cover

They also sell BakFlip, Truxedo.
http://cap-it.com/products-by-type/tonneau-covers

OTown
08-03-2015, 10:54 PM
I paid hundreds less than cap it for my model at Auto Truck Depot and that included install. I would def check them out.

http://autotruckdepot.ca/

Nufy
08-04-2015, 09:02 AM
I bought mine at auto truck depot as well.

Called and they had one in stock.

Picked it up that afternoon and had it installed in less than an hour.

Bakflip...

I didn't get the HD but its been 5 years and while if you look close you can see a few hail marks, it has held up very well.

YMMV.

roopi
08-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
How about Cap-it? They have a T. Cover than seems comparable. Plus they are close to my place.

http://cap-it.com/products-by-type/tonneau-covers/cap-it-premium-solid-fold/cap-it-truck-cover

They also sell BakFlip, Truxedo.
http://cap-it.com/products-by-type/tonneau-covers

$1299? Seems expensive. For a 2014 GMC I paid in the $800-$900 range for a Bakflip from the dealer.

Abeo
08-04-2015, 09:25 AM
I have an Extang Revolution soft fold

Pros:
Rolls up easy, can be taken off when rolled up
Simple to install
Great warranty and customer support

Cons:
Uses weak latches, a little fragile
Needs tweaking and adjustment to work as described
Doesn't seal great

SkiBum5.0
08-04-2015, 10:10 AM
I've had two: Bak Roll-X on my Ford and now an Undercover Flex for the GMC.

The Roll X had some teething problems but were sorted by the retailer. It's now been around for a few years and a new one is out - Revolver X. I didn't get it again because it's now $1500. Too much for a tonneau.

The Flex is great. Just used it on the long weekend with lots of flipping up and propping to hold mountain bikes etc. It does leak at the cab because I have a shitty plastic drop-in liner which prevents it from sealing. Line-X is the next step.

I used Auto Truck Depot as well and their guys are great.

You can get the Flex for $939 plus install if you sign up for their Buyers Club.

cet
08-04-2015, 11:36 AM
I have a BedRug and Backflip VP. No complaints so far. Got them both from here http://autopartsoutlet.ca/ as it was the cheapest place I could find at the time.

16hypen3sp
08-04-2015, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by roopi

$1299? Seems expensive. For a 2014 GMC I paid in the $800-$900 range for a Bakflip from the dealer.

Yah. The Cap-it T Cover is literally the same thing as the BakFlip F1 model. The only difference is warranty length. 5 years for the Cap-it model and 3 years for the F1 model.

Here is where it gets interesting. If I order the F1 model directly from BakFlip, the cost is $1000.00 USD ($1320.00 CAD) plus shipping.

The Cap-it model is $1300 CAD. And better warranty. Seems like the better buy.

I will have to go in to Cap-it and confirm all this.

hampstor
08-04-2015, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39
I have had the Truxedo lo-pro on two of my trucks now and I love it. I prefer the soft roll because its super easy to manage and it doesn't rest against my truck when its up.

I bought my last one from partsengine.ca because they would match any canadian online retailer for price. Dealing with them was super easy and it delivered in under a week.

+1 for Truxedo Lo-pro QT (roll up).

I've also had it on 2 of my trucks. I paid ~$500 installed at the dealer.

codetrap
08-04-2015, 11:00 PM

turbo'dGSR
08-06-2015, 09:02 PM
I got the undercover flex on my tundra at auto truck depot. I have not had good luck with it. The track at the back does not have drain tubes, only at the front are the tubes...the track is just open at the end so any water that gets in there drains out the track and onto the bottom of the box. This unit is not water tight.

The section nearest the cab also just separated or delaminated or something. It looks like a big air bubble.

They said they are going to warranty it, but its now a pain in the ass and I would not recommend it.

My experience at auto truck depot has been...ok. They also tried to install my trailer brake controller but were using the wrong harness for a 2014 truck, not my 2015. After tearing the whole dash apart and unplugging a bunch of shit before realizing it was the wrong harness they went to pull the truck out of the shop but it would not come out of park. I had to leave it overnight and drive their beater home. They figured it out the next day that something was still unplugged for the ABS and I was on my way.

Overall, just a pain in the ass experience. There's my .02c