PDA

View Full Version : Field tech jobs

Boosted131
08-06-2015, 04:18 AM
I'm currently laid off from working in IT oil and gas. Applying for tons of jobs it's hard to even get an interview anymore.

That being said, how do you get into one of the positions like what "clean harbors exploration " offers? I'd be interested in any of those field tech /surveyor / etc, where the use atvs, side by sides for the job. Anyone work in this type of position, and what did you need to get into it?

It's been 7 months now, so I've been thinking of a few options if the IT industry doesn't pick up soon.

codetrap
08-06-2015, 06:44 AM

revelations
08-06-2015, 09:23 AM
Having come from that position (land surveyor) - to now IT contracting, I can say that you will raise a few eyebrows if you have no previous field experience. Its certainly not for the weak or timid - nor the person who walks around the bush with an iPod all day. Having said that, there are positions that are less physically and mentally challenging (eg line locating, gas detecting).

Boosted131
08-06-2015, 12:45 PM
Not too worried about that part of it as my biggest hobby is atvs and dirtbikes. Spent a couple nights in the bush not by choice, another time 7 hours to winch my Atv up 1 long hill in 2 feet of snow. Etc etc.

How did you get into the surveyor position to begin with?

revelations
08-06-2015, 03:46 PM
School - 2 year Diploma.

Its not a case of riding around Quads, sleds and Argos all day either - For one job I had to hike around with 50lbs of survey gear on my back in the dead of winter. No machines in the forest as we were trail blazing.

You can start-out as an assistant though without formal training but in this market green crews may not be much sought after (not 100% sure though).