PDA

View Full Version : 4-ton benchtop press enough to install bushings?

Sykes
08-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Princess Auto will have a 4-ton benchtop press on sale for $99 starting on the 11th - can anybody tell me if it's enough to press out the old rubber bushings and install the new poly ones?

I figure that between getting a shop to do it vs getting one of these, the press is the way to go (if it's strong enough of course). They'll be going into a Civic

Thanks!

nobb
08-09-2015, 09:08 AM
Not to thread hijack, but I'm also wondering if 4 ton is enough to remove pressed in wheel bearings from a hub.

If it's control arm bushings, you can also rent (for free) the ball joint press tool from Partsource which should get them out.

BokCh0y
08-09-2015, 09:37 AM
My opinion is the 4 ton press is enough if you just want to press in bushings.

I looked at the PA 4 ton press but went with the CT 10 ton press for use for future projects. I picked this one up on sale for $149 or $179 iirc:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotive/auto-repair-tools/garage-tools/lifting-equipment/motomaster-10-ton-shop-press-0091096p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=Default&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

In terms of a 4 ton press for use to remove wheel bearings, the 4 ton is not enough to press out/in wheel bearings from a hub, especially for the gen 3 4runners.

Here's a post of some guys using the Harbor Freight 12 ton to press out some wheels bearings from wheel hubs:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-faq-suspension/220866-how-change-your-own-wheel-bearings-hydraulic-press-required.html

I personally don't know though if the 10 or 12 ton press will be strong enough for the 4runners or tacoma's Nobb, I've yet to try though. But when I did some research on replacing the Taco's front wheel bearing, most peeps were using a 20 ton press at or from a shop. The taco and 4runner wheel bearings are pretty big.

Unknown303
08-09-2015, 09:47 AM
Just get a snipe for the handle. Then operate to fail. ;)

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-09-2015, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by BokCh0y
My opinion is the 4 ton press is enough if you just want to press in bushings.

I looked at the PA 4 ton press but went with the CT 10 ton press for use for future projects. I picked this one up on sale for $149 or $179 iirc:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/automotive/auto-repair-tools/garage-tools/lifting-equipment/motomaster-10-ton-shop-press-0091096p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=Default&utm_source=AskAndAnswer&utm_content=Default

In terms of a 4 ton press for use to remove wheel bearings, the 4 ton is not enough to press out/in wheel bearings from a hub, especially for the gen 3 4runners.

Here's a post of some guys using the Harbor Freight 12 ton to press out some wheels bearings from wheel hubs:

http://www.mx6.com/forums/1g-faq-suspension/220866-how-change-your-own-wheel-bearings-hydraulic-press-required.html

I personally don't know though if the 10 or 12 ton press will be strong enough for the 4runners or tacoma's Nobb, I've yet to try though. But when I did some research on replacing the Taco's front wheel bearing, most peeps were using a 20 ton press at or from a shop. The taco and 4runner wheel bearings are pretty big.

I recently had the rear wheel bearings done on my third gen 4Runner and they told me it needed a 20+ton press, and not many places locally had them.

BokCh0y
08-10-2015, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

I recently had the rear wheel bearings done on my third gen 4Runner and they told me it needed a 20+ton press, and not many places locally had them.

Thanks for the info, this is very useful.

Which shop did you have it done at if you don't mind me asking? I need to do the front wheel bearing for a 95.5 Taco, and those wheel bearings are pretty beefy.

Maxx Mazda
08-10-2015, 11:25 PM
I've only got a 12 ton but haven't come across a bearing yet that it wouldn't press out.

Sentry
08-10-2015, 11:29 PM
You can do over 2 tons with just an 8" bench vise, and a vise is much more versatile, faster, easier, reliable, etc. etc.

If you're gonna get a press, may as well get an actual press.

revelations
08-10-2015, 11:49 PM
Just a thought, any chance of heating/cooling the parts to obtain slightly less interference fit .... and the going with a 4 ton.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-11-2015, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

Thanks for the info, this is very useful.

Which shop did you have it done at if you don't mind me asking? I need to do the front wheel bearing for a 95.5 Taco, and those wheel bearings are pretty beefy.

Charlesglen Toyota. I work in the industry so they gave me a bit of a break on labor.

BokCh0y
08-11-2015, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo

Charlesglen Toyota. I work in the industry so they gave me a bit of a break on labor.

Cool, thanks for the info, this is good to know for sure :thumbsup: