PDA

View Full Version : New PC not responding as quickly as expected

RedRayneGTI
08-19-2015, 10:49 AM
So I ended up getting a new desktop PC at work as my old laptop was struggling with everyday tasks.

Specs:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K 3.30Ghz
Memory: Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB PC-17000
SSD: Samsung 256GB 850 Pro
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black
Graphics: Asus GTX 970

This system is being used for CAD Drafting (Autocad 2014) and 3D modeling and rendering using Autodesk Inventor 2014.

The OS and the Autodesk Design suite are installed on the SSD and all files projects are saved to the HDD.

I'm finding that the reaction times for simple things, especially in Autocad are incredibly slow. If I select a dimension line on a drawing it is literally taking 3.5-4s after clicking the dimension line (or text box) before I can move my cursor or start typing. Same deal with Inventor.

It's a brand new system built from scratch. Anyone have any ideas why I'd be experiencing such sluggish response?

killramos
08-19-2015, 10:54 AM
GTX 970 isnt an ideal CAD card imo. Should work fine though unles you are doing super crazy stuff. have you looked into installing autodesk approved drivers etc? I assume its setup properly to use hardware acceleration

I think there is value in moving projects onto the SSD as well. Especially in inventor.

Have you looked at what the computer is doing during the hangs with a monitoring tool? High CPU usage? High GPU usage? High disk read/write? that might give some hints?

I miss CAD work :(

RedRayneGTI
08-19-2015, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by killramos
GTX 970 isnt an ideal CAD card imo. Should work fine though unles you are doing super crazy stuff. have you looked into installing autodesk approved drivers etc? I assume its setup properly to use hardware acceleration

I think there is value in moving projects onto the SSD as well. Especially in inventor.

Have you looked at what the computer is doing during the hangs with a monitoring tool? High CPU usage? High GPU usage? High disk read/write? that might give some hints?

I miss CAD work :(

When I was doing my research the GTX 9xx series cards were rated quite well for this sort of stuff, not as well as the GTX Titans or the Quadros cards, but plenty good enough, unless some of the biggest review sites led me astray.

I'll look into autodesk approved drivers, I never used that on my old setup so didn't even think about it with this new pc.

What monitoring tool would you recommend for checking those specific things out?

Thanks.

killramos
08-19-2015, 11:13 AM
Task manager should do fine for checking CPU usage, if you see a big spike then its something processor related ( which you likely cant fix and is a program problem as there is nothing wrong with your CPU choice).

GPU-Z should be able to provide you with useful GPU related info, including a crude "Load %" as well as if the clock frequencies are moving around when you are doing it..

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpuz/

Im drawing a blank on something to check disk info ( i have been running near pure OSX for a while which has a tool built into the OS) in Win7.

I think Autodesk drivers will help you out a lot, i have found them to fix a bunch of weird quirks among mine and my friends computers in school. The approved drivers tend to be hella stable, if a little under performing. Which wont affect you since your card is pretty powerful. I guess also make sure you have your programs fully upgraded and check if auto desk has any bulletins out regarding the issue. Might be worth a quick phone call after you run through some of the other things.

firebane
08-19-2015, 11:33 AM
Should be using a Quadro card as they are more designed with CAD in mind especially with the OpenGL libraries and CUDA.

Also I'd be running both the software AND projects on either the same SSD or both on SSDs.

Our clients who work with VMWare, ArcGIS or CAD software usually run the software from the mechanical drive as there won't be any real speed difference but they say they see more performance from the project files on a SSD.

JustinMCS
08-19-2015, 12:11 PM
Quadro - very important - all I see in workstations for this line of work....

revelations
08-19-2015, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by RedRayneGTI
So I ended up getting a new desktop PC at work as my old laptop was struggling with everyday tasks.

Specs:

CPU: Intel i7 5820K 3.30Ghz
Memory: Ripjaws 4 Series 32GB PC-17000
SSD: Samsung 256GB 850 Pro
HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black
Graphics: Asus GTX 970

This system is being used for CAD Drafting (Autocad 2014) and 3D modeling and rendering using Autodesk Inventor 2014.

The OS and the Autodesk Design suite are installed on the SSD and all files projects are saved to the HDD.

I'm finding that the reaction times for simple things, especially in Autocad are incredibly slow. If I select a dimension line on a drawing it is literally taking 3.5-4s after clicking the dimension line (or text box) before I can move my cursor or start typing. Same deal with Inventor.

It's a brand new system built from scratch. Anyone have any ideas why I'd be experiencing such sluggish response?

That points to more software side of things rather than hardware. Yes a recommended vid card might help more but waiting 4s isnt normal.

Obviously updates should be checked but sometimes DOWNGRADING a driver might server you better - this is a Q best asked on a specific discussion group for AutoCad.

There are a dozen different factors to contend with as well, how AutoCad was installed, where the template files are stored (eg. some on a server_, etc, etc.

RedRayneGTI
08-19-2015, 02:10 PM
Duh... I forgot to install Service Pack 1 for Cad. :banghead: That made a massive a difference.

revelations
08-19-2015, 03:32 PM
:thumbsup:

killramos
08-19-2015, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by revelations
:thumbsup:

+1

ExtraSlow
08-22-2015, 09:03 AM
Hey, since the OP sounds like he resolved his issue, and I have a similar but slightly different question, I'll drop it here and see what happens.

Anyone have recommendations for hardware to run high end GIS software? Wife uses that stuff, and I'm more of a surf beyond kind of guy. Whatever the newest ESRI package is called.

ipeefreely
08-22-2015, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Hey, since the OP sounds like he resolved his issue, and I have a similar but slightly different question, I'll drop it here and see what happens.

Anyone have recommendations for hardware to run high end GIS software? Wife uses that stuff, and I'm more of a surf beyond kind of guy. Whatever the newest ESRI package is called.
Is she using ArcGIS PRO or 10.3.1?

PRO is x64 and more multithreaded so it can theoretically use beefier hardware (http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/get-started/arcgis-pro-system-requirements.htm) depending on what she's doing it may not be worth it.

What is she complaining about being slow? Geoprocessing? How long it takes for the screen to draw? Does she do 3D work? How big are the dataset she's working with?

Buying really powerful hardware (like the OP) doesn't help if the software isn't optimized to use it (always years behind)...