PDA

View Full Version : Lima, Peru

Kjonus
08-30-2015, 10:18 PM
We're heading to Peru next week and we've got the first two weeks pretty much all lined up with all the big and normal stuff. For our last weekend we're in Lima and wondering what things people who've been there would suggest to do in the area.

Thanks in advance.

Isaiah
08-30-2015, 11:35 PM
Miraflores is probably the nicest district in town and is right off the beach with lots of restaurants and trendy shops. They have paragliding off these high bluffs by the beach where they strap you into a parachute and you just glide for a while using the warm ocean air currents.

http://nirvanadmc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Paragliding-in-Mira-flores-Lima-Peru.jpg

https://hasselmann.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/dsc01935.jpg

g-m
08-31-2015, 07:12 PM
Lima is a shithole. Miraflores is literally the only marginally nice place and there is only one small part that's worth spending any time at. ^ pictured above.

Edit: And don't expect to see the sun. Or the sky.

eblend
08-31-2015, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by g-m
Lima is a shithole. Miraflores is literally the only marginally nice place and there is only one small part that's worth spending any time at. ^ pictured above.

I heard this from others as well...but when I went I thought it was alright? Miraflores is where we stayed and I do like that part of town as well on the cliff edge, there is a cool mall there as well. I never saw paragliding and was only there for one full day, but I actually liked it. Not sure why everone has so much hate for it.

We did the city tour there, can just ask them about it and they will take you to main places. It was pretty cheap.

Check your PM

killramos
09-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by g-m

+1

For most tourists Lima is just a place to grab some sleep for the night before driving or flying somewhere else.

It was dirty, cloudy, didn't feel particularly safe wandering near the hotel. Even the bus ride from the airport to the hotel was sketch.

:dunno:

Kjonus
09-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Wow there are some hard opinions on the place. We're not staying there the whole time, planing on seeing the Nazca Lines, going to sand board just to say I've done it, doing a food and cultural tour within Lima the rest is still in the works.

C_Dave45
09-01-2015, 07:09 PM
Haha...I was there in, wait for it...1979 :eek: And I got the same impression. A shit hole. Stunk almost everywhere you went.
I stayed with friends in Lima for a few weeks, but then went to other cool places. Machu Pichu, Araquipa, sacsayhuaman, Nazca Lines, etc. Even at the beach in Lima...completely brown water. It was an experience, but I would never consider Lima a destination.