PDA

View Full Version : athabasca university degrees

Akumaz
08-31-2015, 04:18 PM
I am thinking about doing a Bachelor of Science degree (post diploma (MET @ SAIT)) at AU
I work full time, and it would work out ok, since everything is online
i guess that's where the problem lies, it is a online degree
i know what people think, its not a real degree because it is online, and i kind of look down on it as well
but technically it is a real degree

my question then is, how do people in the real world view degrees from AU?
if i can get a few insights from recruiters or people that actually look at the resumes
is a degree from AU an automatic "NOPE"?

loweg
08-31-2015, 04:52 PM
My wife has her masters in nursing through athabasca. Got it while working part time and pumping out a couple children. She just got a masters req'd job now.

Akumaz
08-31-2015, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by loweg
My wife has her masters in nursing through athabasca. Got it while working part time and pumping out a couple children. She just got a masters req'd job now.

that's good to hear, good for her!
thanks for the feed back

Sugarphreak
08-31-2015, 05:06 PM

Cos
08-31-2015, 05:11 PM

03ozwhip
08-31-2015, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I'm currently doing a degree through Athabasca. From what I've witnessed if you were 22 and took it as your only schooling it may look weird. However with doing schooling at night Athabasca seems like a reputable place. My neighbor is doing their EMBA through them as well.

Word of caution, the last 2 courses I completed we an absolute cluster and was extremely frustrating. Tons of us have made complaints to the Business department and I am hoping it is just a one off. Quizzes with incorrect answers being marked as correct. Assignments and tests not getting marked until you email and ask why it is a week late. The wrong final exam prep being uploaded (seriously).

I'm going to keep going for now but I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Honestly that can happen anywhere. The curriculum was changed at SAIT just a few months before my last term(welder) and they had the same issue, they were still dealing with it at least until April of this year.

Scantron was all messed up marking wrong answers correct, the new TQ exams had journeyman questions in first year books, etc etc. Chalk it up to a fuck up, but I'm sure it'll work out after receiving complaints.

Cos
08-31-2015, 06:33 PM

Sugarphreak
09-01-2015, 08:12 AM

Akumaz
09-01-2015, 09:26 AM
what are you guys all taking at UA if you don't mind me asking?

are the final exams at a determined location? or is that online as well?

Sugarphreak
09-01-2015, 10:27 AM

BananaFob
09-01-2015, 10:54 AM
FYI
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/athabasca-university-faces-insolvency-president-reassures-students-1.3111420

Cos
09-01-2015, 12:36 PM

Akumaz
09-01-2015, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by BananaFob
FYI
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/athabasca-university-faces-insolvency-president-reassures-students-1.3111420

hmm... I wonder how this would effect the existing students if things were to go sour...

Sugarphreak
09-01-2015, 01:25 PM

themack89
09-10-2015, 07:33 AM
I've been doing science courses to transfer back to UofC (Chemistry and Biology). I've learned a shit load of things I'm not going to lie, and their labs are pretty streamlined and impressive for what they are, although you have to physically go to Edmonton or Athabasca to do them.

I used to say I'm not a self-study person, but that's also why I have really enjoyed doing these Athabasca courses. It challenges you to learn in a different way and become a self-starter. It's great when there is no pressure hanging over you to get something done, only the pressure you put on yourself.

I think by far the biggest advantage is booking your exams. For all of my courses so far I have booked the mid term and the final on consecutive days--this way I study only to prepare for the Final and a by-product of that is studying for the mid term as well. Plus the online exams are KILLER! I can type 120wpm+ on a computer, but my hand writing sucks. Having access to a computer to answer my written questions was a huge advantage--I don't see how I could have scored that well without the online system to be honest.

Overall Athabasca is what you make it and a bit of luck, sometimes you'll get shitty support (as others are saying), other times you'll learn a lot and be challenged (my experience).

One major note: if you take sciences, they tend to be more rigorous than brick-and-mortar. I was wondering why I was struggling to pump all of this information into my brain for a pair of courses, and found out its actually split into 3 courses at the U of C (which I am now exempt from the 3rd! :poosie: ). It may be an online University, but it's still a University. They expect you to produce high quality work and put in just as much time as you would at a brick and mortar.

duaner
09-10-2015, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

I doubt this will have any real impact on students... the province was already talking about stepping in to make sure this doesn't happen:

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/Province+need+step+save+Athabasca+University+minister+hints/11129290/story.html

IMO it was mostly Athabasca threatening to go insolvent (in 2 years) unless they got more money from the province. I can't see that happening with a government like the NDP in power.
Ha. A brother-in-law of mine is quoted in that article. He's a chemistry prof at AU.