PDA

View Full Version : Desktop Suggestions

NoPulp
09-10-2015, 08:03 PM
Hello,
Looking for suggestions on a new desktop. My Asus R500A is starting to have issues, well its always had issues. IIRC it was diagnosed with a faulty harddrive? Never got around to fixing it since I didn't have the time. Anyways I think I want to go back to a desktop since I typically don't use my laptop as a laptop. Also my Asus is still alive so I could continue using it the odd time I need a laptop.

I'm not very computer savvy, I've just never had an interest until now since a basic computer worked for me. So I need a bit of help because everything is a bit overwhelming and I'm not sure what I actually need.

So first off I need to be able to run some things for photography. I use lightroom mostly and will probably do some more photoshop in the future. My computer really bogs when I do work on lightroom.

Also, I have been thinking about upgrading my gaming console (Still have a 360). So I was wondering if it would be much more money to get a decent gaming computer? My current computer has difficulty running the few games I have on Steam. Would be cool to play games like grand theft auto on a computer. Is it possible to buy an affordable gaming computer? I have no issue with consoles if it will greatly increase the price.

Also, i would prefer windows 10 but it seems there are lots of windows 8 with free update. Would that be a good decision?

I'm not sure what to look for and how much to spend. I would preferably like to spend as little as possible because any sort of technology becomes outdated very fast now. But I also don't want to piss away money on junk...help.

schocker
09-11-2015, 09:26 AM
Depends on how much you are willing to spend. You can check out www.pcpartpicker.com (Make sure you set it to Canada) and check out some of the builds on there to get a starting idea. You can make the computer a gaming computer by just adding a decent video card and windows 10 I believe is now around the same price as windows 8 for the OEM version when you build a computer so might be worth it just to buy 10. I am assuming you also have monitor/keyboard/mouse to carry over then that saves money too.

revelations
09-11-2015, 09:49 AM
There was a thread not too long ago here about similar requirements. The OP did buy parts from Mem express and built it himself but I recommended an off-the-shelf unit from Mem Ex as sometimes they are priced pretty good.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/thoughts-on-pc-build/showthread.php?s=&postid=4488750#post4488750

NoPulp
09-11-2015, 02:51 PM
Yeah I'm defintely not savvy enough to consider building my own. Looking for suggestions on prebuilt.

NoPulp
09-11-2015, 03:06 PM
I was looking at this one, though I dont think it's in stock in lethbridge...

http://m.bestbuy.ca/?lang=en#/catalog/productdetails.aspx?ajax=true&sku=10364437&lang=en-CA

Mitsu3000gt
09-11-2015, 03:39 PM
Pick out parts based on recommendations & research, and then get Memex to build it for you. They only charge $40, and they also test all you hardware for you and organize the cables in the case.

dirtsniffer
09-11-2015, 03:59 PM
If you can build a car you can build a computer..

msommers
09-11-2015, 04:26 PM
Having built a computer myself, where previously I knew sweet fuck-all about the process, it was a frustrating experience but rewarding at the same time because I still am using it no problem 4 years later. Any upgrades are easy to do.

But if it's only $40 for Memory Express to built it and test it, I'd be all over that. How much is your time worth haha.

revelations
09-11-2015, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
Yeah I'm defintely not savvy enough to consider building my own. Looking for suggestions on prebuilt.

As mentioned in the above quoted thread:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX58724

know1edge
09-11-2015, 06:50 PM

NoPulp
09-11-2015, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by know1edge

Why don't you just get it shipped to Lethbridge?
The video card on this is pretty shitty though, you'll want something better for editing/gaming.
The 2 most important things you'll want are an SSD and a decent video card.

To everyone suggesting he get MemEx to just build him one, it's actually $30 extra to have ME build it + load the OS.
If OP doesn't know shit about computers, can any of you tell him exactly which parts he needs to have something better than the $800 computer he posted? Your working budget is $630 after OS + assembly.

Anyways, need more details from you, what your budget is and what you currently have. There's just too many options
Well I sort of wanted something this weekend since I have time for once and could really use a decent computer sooner rather than later. I also didn't really want to order a computer online.

I went to every store in lethbridge, there was nothing for selection.
Only real option was an Asus ROG G20AJ for $950. Not sure if thats a great option. The reviews seem pretty good, with the only main negative is no real solidstate. Could I put a solidstate in down the road?

edit: Looked more into it.... its the US023S so it just the i5. Its waaaaay overpriced is appears. wth.

To answer your questions I would like to stay under $1000... Probably not much of a budget for beyond ballers. I currently have a ASUS R500A. I think these are the specs:

Intel Core i5 3210M (2.50GHz)
4GB Memory 500GB HDD
Intel HD Graphics 4000, LCD 1366 x 768
Windows 8, 64-Bit

Or would I be able to get a half decent desktop for like <$600 that would run lightroom and photoshop decently and then I'll just get a xbox one or ps4?

NoPulp
09-11-2015, 10:07 PM
What do we think about this one?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/dell-dell-xps-pc-intel-core-i7-4790-2tb-sata-hdd-16gb-ram-windows-8-1-x8700-4391blk/10380605.aspx?path=e4c23633817271b799b83b6f179bdc73en02

Bladeh
09-11-2015, 10:22 PM
If I was going to buy something off the shelf tomorrow it would be the dell xps, I got the wifey one about 5 years ago and it's still running today, the only thing I have replaced is the hard drive with a 2gb hybrid drive.

The video in the xps your are looking at is mid range but it should play grand theft auto and most steam games. You could easily add a ssd drive and have the 2gb drive for storage and pimp it out with win 10 on the ssd for free.

Mitsu3000gt
09-11-2015, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
If you can build a car you can build a computer..

If you can read a manual you can build a computer haha. It's surprisingly easy, most people are just intimidated.

know1edge
09-12-2015, 11:34 AM

NoPulp
09-12-2015, 11:59 AM
Bought the dell.

I think I'll eventually add a SSD and upgrade a few things. I'll learn that way rather than building my own PC right away.