PDA

View Full Version : I welcome this technology for teens on cruise night in mom's minivan...auto braking

Gripenfelter
09-11-2015, 06:27 PM
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hy-iihs-nhtsa-automatic-braking-20150911-story.html

blah blah blah clickbait title edited for you whiners. :poosie:

xnvy
09-11-2015, 09:54 PM
Clickbait post title :thumbsdow

Article was half-decent though. Automatic braking is a good safety feature in theory but that one guy's complaints about it freaking out in parking lots shows there is a lot of kinks yet to work out. I think they should hold off until the systems are fully developed before implementing them as standard in cars, although I personally do not think I would want it anyways.

blairtruck
09-12-2015, 09:48 AM
what happens when sensors get snow on them are we going full brakes cause it thinks your too close to another vehicle?
sounds great for warm dry climate

01RedDX
09-12-2015, 10:07 AM

Seth1968
09-12-2015, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by blairtruck
what happens when sensors get snow on them are we going full brakes cause it thinks your too close to another vehicle?

So true on many levels:clap:

All of these so called "features" that try to provide an escape for shitty drivers.

Teach yourself about defensive driving. If you don't know anything about that, then hang up your car keys until you do.

Gripenfelter
09-12-2015, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by blairtruck

Same thing that happens with adaptive cruise control.

I had it in our previous FX45. Doesn't turn on if the sensor is obstructed or dirty.

Tik-Tok
09-12-2015, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by xnvy
Clickbait post title :thumbsdow

:werd:

This isn't for teens on cruise night anyways, it's for minivan driving mom who's eyes are in her lap while she's driving.

killramos
09-12-2015, 07:14 PM
I think my car has that. Can stop the car for an obstacle ( car or pedestrian) when travelling anywhere below 50km/h if it thinks the driver cannot react in time.

Its never slammed on my brakes while snowing as it uses a combination of the camera in the windshield and the ultrasonic sensors.

Most of the time the system just tells you if you are following to close.

When it gets overwhelmed by fog or snow it gives me a warning message on the dash and iDrive screen. It then stays off with no way of manually re enabling for a period of time until it deems its working again.

I welcome the feature being on if it should ever be needed. but is able to be turned off with a click of a switch under my steering wheel.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/technology/connecteddrive/2013/driver_assistance/intelligent_driving.html#driving_assistant

The Approach and Pedestrian Warning with City Brake Activation warns of collisions with vehicles or pedestrians at speeds of between 10 and 60 km/h and brakes in an emergency.