PDA

View Full Version : Range Rover TD6 - A Diesel Model for Canada?!?

killramos
09-14-2015, 01:12 PM
http://driving.ca/land-rover/range-rover/reviews/road-test/first-drive-2016-range-rover-hse-td6

BARCELONA, Spain — It sure looks like a regular Range Rover. Oh, this specific one’s ostentation might be a little subdued by its taupish (“Waitomo” in Land Rover parlance) grey paint, but it is still rocking that whole Incredible Hulk in a tuxedo shtick that has been the Range Rover’s stock in trade since its introduction in 1970.

And, for the most part, it drives pretty much like any Range Rover, which means, in no particular order of importance, that it feels regal on the highway, like a billy goat off-road and positively hedonistic everywhere. There’s power to spare, a ride worthy of, well, royalty, and enough headroom for NBA centers to stretch to their full seven feet. In other words, it’s all the things we have come to expect from a Range Rover.

Except for this: its fuel economy is an incredible-for-a-beast-that-looks-like-it-could-pull-the-Queen-Mary 9.4 L/100 km. That’s 30 Imperial miles per gallon folks, a whopping 66 per cent improvement over the 15.1 L/100 km (18 mpg) that the “regular” 5.0-litre consumes. To put that into better perspective, that’s roughly the same overall average as a Ford Escape, a compact sport-“cute” powered by a piddly 2.5-litre four; a vehicle which could almost fit in the boot of the Td6.

The Td6 stands for turbodiesel, of the 3.0-litre V6 variety. Even enviroweenies, often critical of diesels, have to see its merits; after all, reducing the supercharged V8’s 299 g/km of C02 to the V6’s 182 g/km has got to be worth shouting about. For those looking for further perspective, that’s about the same emissions as a Honda Accord V6. Again, I will remind you we’re talking about a Range Rover HSE here, 2,215 kilograms of the most hedonized sport bruiser a whole lotta money can buy.

The best thing — and more and more Canadians are catching on to this — is that there’s little penalty for this parsimony, though those looking at the most basic of spec sheets may see the Td6’s 254 horsepower and dismiss it outright. That would be a mistake.

Thanks to a tank-like 440 lb.-ft. of torque, this version of the HSE feels more sprightly than its 7.6-second zero to 100 km/h acceleration time might otherwise dictate. Indeed, compared with the supercharged V8, the only time the Td6 feels lacking is when the pedal is matted to the floor; then, the turbodiesel’s maudlin 254 ponies have to bow to the gas engine’s 510 horses. Wide-open throttle, there’s simply no contest.

But, in all other circumstances — taking off from a stoplight, passing on the highway and even towing capacity (both are rated at 3,500 kilograms) — the Td6 is equal to, if not quite better than, the 461 lb.-ft. supercharged HSE.

Nor is Land Rover’s V6 turbodiesel an agricultural beast. Based on a Ford of Europe engine (but extensively modified by Land Rover), the turbodiesel V6 is almost as smooth as the gasoline-fueled V8. Indeed, the only time I really had any idea that there was anything other than a conventional gas engine under the hood was at a stoplight with the window down; then a little high-compression clatter would intrude. But once under way, the Td6 was just as melodic, though on a different octave, as the supercharged V8. From an engine perspective, then, the mission has been accomplished, especially since Jaguar Land Rover Canada is pricing the HSE Td6 at $108,490, some $8,000 below the least expensive supercharged V8 Range Rover. No wonder that Barbara Barrette, JLR Canada’s public relations expert, is confident that the Td6 will soon account for as much as 40 per cent of Range Rover’s nationwide sales and that “we will sell every one we can get our hands on.”

Penalties are few. Every 16,000 kilometres or so, you have to add some Diesel Exhaust Fluid — basically the same urea-based additive that other diesel makers use — to quell nitrous oxide emissions to LEV 3 standards. And, like all diesels, the fuel can be a little slimy and smelly when refueling. The good news, however, is that, for the first time in a while, diesel fuel is cheaper than gasoline, which means even more savings. That might not mean much when you’re spending 110K on a sport-utility vehicle, but it is good for conservation — an especially easy virtue to adopt when there’s no appreciable downside to the Td6’s efficiency.

Sport to get in on the diesel action, too
The Range Rover Sport will be similarly blessed with a Td6 option for 2016. In the Sport’s case, the turbodiesel will be slotted in just above the V6 model, the $82,990 HSE 3.0-litre turbodiesel requiring a $1,500 premium over the $81,490 supercharged 3.0-litre V6 gas version. As well, both models get an upgrade to their rock-crawling ability — as if they needed to further burnish their off-road bona fides — in the form of All-Terrain Progress Control (ATPC). A further development of Hill Descent Control, ATPC allows even greater control of downhill velocities and, for the first time, allows the Range Rovers to crawl up the slippiest slopes without requiring the driver to apply the throttle. Just set the desired speed and ATPC automatically adjusts the AWD, engine, transmission and traction control system to crawl up even the steepest incline without throttle input. The driver just has to steer around the various ditches, trees and giant boulders that might otherwise hinder progress.

Just read this in the herald over lunch and thought i would post it up, surprised not to see it already really.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

New Land Rover models in a diesel? SIGN ME UP. Hopefully we see this trickle into into the LR4 as well. Which if the sport is getting diesel treatment as the article suggests seems likely.

Luxury and size of a full sized range with 9.6 l/100km fuel economy ( the same as a Ford Escape!) ? YES. 440 lb-ft of torque to boot as well, meaning it is more than capable of towing a boat etc.

As people know I am not much of a fan of race trucks so i think its refreshing to see SUV's going back to their roots of what they should be. When I am driving a truck I couldn't give a flying rats ass about 0-60's etc. I want to get there with me and my friends in comfort. And not break the bank in the process.

Kudos to LR, :thumbsup:

Mercedes G, I hope you are listening.

Anyone elses thoughts?

roll_over
09-18-2015, 06:53 PM
The 2016 model year full size and sport will have a diesel. There are already a few on the lot. The evoque and discovery will also get this treatment later next year. The LR4 will not get a diesel until its replacement is released.

CanmoreOrLess
09-18-2015, 09:08 PM
If RR/LR could knit together a three year quality score close to any Japanese maker, I'd be a customer. The LR4 is such a sweet vehicle, add in a diesel it is all win/win.

killramos
09-19-2015, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
If RR/LR could knit together a three year quality score close to any Japanese maker, I'd be a customer. The LR4 is such a sweet vehicle, add in a diesel it is all win/win.

Yup the LR4 is really cool. It's on my shortlist to replace my FJ cruiser. A diesel just sweatens the deal.

I used to really like the Touareg until the second gen softened it into a soccer mom mobile.

The pricing of the LR4 is great to. I mean even a Ford Explorer can be speced higher than one. And those have lost all capability as well in the drive for fuel economy. But not everyone who wants a capable vehicle wants to buy a full size.

JRSC00LUDE
09-19-2015, 08:22 AM
Now I haven't looked into LR for ages but do they still live up to their reputation as junk money pits at the end of the day? I haven't known anyone to keep one out of warranty if they've purchased.

I've always thought they're awesome minus the reputation.

killramos
09-19-2015, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Now I haven't looked into LR for ages but do they still live up to their reputation as junk money pits at the end of the day? I haven't known anyone to keep one out of warranty if they've purchased.

I've always thought they're awesome minus the reputation.

One big plus is the 5.0 V8 is gone from the trucks, supercharged V6's all around now. I think ALOT of the problems came from that engine.

LR is pretty ubiquitous in the UK as well. I think it was mostly just the old discovery that we got that was such a piece of shit. Reputation never recovered.

One potential issue I see is almost all of them have air suspension. Which we know is a money pit to repair and service. But at the same time it's an awesome feature.

flipstah
09-19-2015, 05:59 PM
YES.