PDA

View Full Version : 2014 F-350 blown engine- what would you do?

Proyecto2000
09-17-2015, 12:26 PM
Hey guys, I have an interesting dilemma on my hands.

I have 2014 F-350 that I use for work and last week at 167k the engine blew on me on the way back to Calgary.

I had 2 different Ford dealerships look at the truck and I showed the repair diagnoses to an engine rebuilder and all 3 agree that rebuilding the engine is not an option. So I can either pay for a new engine at $13.5k installed or go with a used engine (80k km) from pick and pull and pay $8,500 installed.

Currently owe $15k on the truck so I have 2 options:

1 - sell the body to a junk yard for a few bucks pay off the balance and buy a new truck.

2 - Go with the used engine for $8,500 and run the truck till the odometer shows 200k and hopefully sell it for $10k in January. However I feel that I will be gambling on the transmission as my last F350 dropped the tranny at 190k

:banghead:

What would you do in my shoes?

and as a side note does anyone want a 2014 F350 XLT crew cab body for parts or does someone have a Ford 6.2L gas engine kicking around?

ercchry
09-17-2015, 12:29 PM
write off the loss, and only lease work trucks going forward? :dunno:

$8500 for a PnP engine, even including labour seems steep for a straight forward same motor swap

HiTempguy1
09-17-2015, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Proyecto2000
Hey guys, I have an interesting dilemma on my hands.

I have 2014 F-350 that I use for work and last week at 167k the engine blew on me on the way back to Calgary.

I had 2 different Ford dealerships look at the truck and I showed the repair diagnoses to an engine rebuilder and all 3 agree that rebuilding the engine is not an option. So I can either pay for a new engine at $13.5k installed or go with a used engine (80k km) from pick and pull and pay $8,500 installed.

Currently owe $15k on the truck so I have 2 options:

1 - sell the body to a junk yard for a few bucks pay off the balance and buy a new truck.

2 - Go with the used engine for $8,500 and run the truck till the odometer shows 200k and hopefully sell it for $10k in January. However I feel that I will be gambling on the transmission as my last F350 dropped the tranny at 190k

:banghead:

What would you do in my shoes?

and as a side note does anyone want a 2014 F350 XLT crew cab body for parts or does someone have a Ford 6.2L gas engine kicking around?

I'll do it for $6500 for the engine swap including labour ;)

JRSC00LUDE
09-17-2015, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1

I'll do it for $6500 for the engine swap including labour ;)

If he'll do it for $8500.00 including a transmission you may have an answer!

AndyL
09-17-2015, 04:33 PM
Swing up to impact auto auctions - see if you can grab a squishy 14 for less than the motor price ;) (stay away from rollovers though).

Cheaper to buy the remains and dispose of excess at PYP.

rage2
09-17-2015, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by ercchry
I'd like to see a lease agreement that allows 167k of mileage in a year. :rofl:

revelations
09-17-2015, 04:54 PM
Unless I am missing something obvious, 2014 F350s are going for $40-60k depending on mileage/options...... without the engine I could still see you coming out with more than $15k if you sold as is. :dunno:

GT.....O?
09-17-2015, 05:31 PM
Have you figured out exactly whats wrong with it?

Seized? Head gasket?.....

167 for a 2014 is a lot of kms, but still only relatively less than half of what a diesel should do....

If there are that many kms, there is also probably a ton of idling hours on it...?

Probably worth it to rebuild, but dont cheap out.. if your going to rebuild, basically going to have to replace a majority of the parts,

Most shops will not offer any kind of warranty unless you replace pistons, all bearings, rebuild heads.... the list goes on.

I would call up Dagger Diesel... i went to another location with my duramax and had a less then stellar experience, (leaking rear main seal within 2000 kms)

i would also use precise engine rebuilders. they did my heads and did an amazing job.

ercchry
09-17-2015, 05:41 PM
are you guys missing the part where its a gasser?

Originally posted by rage2

commercial outfit like driving force? :dunno:

corsvette
09-17-2015, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by AndyL
Swing up to impact auto auctions - see if you can grab a squishy 14 for less than the motor price ;) (stay away from rollovers though).

Cheaper to buy the remains and dispose of excess at PYP.

That new of truck the value is too high for wreckers. Even rolled to shit gas Super-Dutys are still bringing well north of 5K. If it's a diesel they go for 10K +, rolled, smashed to crap beyond repair.

One company I deal with has six 2008-2010 Super Dutys with blown up 6.4's. I can't buy a wrecked truck cheap enough to justify buying their units to swap motors.

If its a 6.2 gas you need I may know of one availabe, I'll have to look into it. It'll be way less than $8500.

CanmoreOrLess
09-17-2015, 05:55 PM
Throw a rebuilt engine in it and avoid the transmission ticking time bomb by trading for a diesel ASAP. Why you don't have a diesel to begin with is a head scratcher. You are a milage king.

AndyL
09-17-2015, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by corsvette

One company I deal with has six 2008-2010 Super Dutys with blown up 6.4's. I can't buy a wrecked truck cheap enough to justify buying their units to swap motors.

If its a 6.2 gas you need I may know of one availabe, I'll have to look into it. It'll be way less than $8500.

prices must have recovered from last years hail - some were going dirt cheap last year - probably because you had 100 to choose from.

carson blocks
09-17-2015, 08:01 PM
To me, a '14 Super Duty with a bad engine is just screaming for a Cummins swap. Spend~$25k to have a reputable shop swap a low mileage Cummins in there, and run the truck for at least another 300k. To me, a Super Duty with a Cummins is the best of both worlds.

Proyecto2000
09-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

Originally posted by rage2

This is actually my first lease and it was 24 months and 160k with no extra mileage charges.

My 24 months are up at the end of October which sucks cuz I was only 7 weeks away from washing my hands of this thing and thanks to rig count sucking it would have probably had 180k kms instead of 200k+ which wouldn't have mattered as I wasn't going to be penalized for going over the mileage :clap:

The lease was setup was with minimal down payment, large monthly payments and a residual of $15k which would be paid by the leasing company selling the truck at auction and if it sold for $15k I would owe them nothing but if it sold for $10k I would write them a cheque for $5k. Seemed weird as hell to me but we went for it as I was the cost of purchasing out right vs. 24 lease payments & residual was about $2000 more than finance payments which required a larger down payment.

Any how after talking with leasing company they convinced me to have them auction the truck as is as they are sure that they can get a few grand and put that towards my residual/balance owing. so if I can get anywhere between $5-$9k for this thing that would be alright in books.

Thanks HiTempguy1 & AndyL

Originally posted by revelations
Unless I am missing something obvious, 2014 F350s are going for $40-60k depending on mileage/options...... without the engine I could still see you coming out with more than $15k if you sold as is. :dunno:

It's a field truck, she ain't pretty after 10,000km/month in Edson and GP :cry:

Proyecto2000
09-17-2015, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by GT.....O?
Have you figured out exactly whats wrong with it?

both shops came back with dropped valves and damaged pistons. Basically was cruising on the highway oil pressure drops to 0 cant pull over safely out of traffic so drove another 1 minute or 2 till I could get on the shoulder and boom cloud of black smoke just as I start to pull over :guns:

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
Throw a rebuilt engine in it and avoid the transmission ticking time bomb by trading for a diesel ASAP. Why you don't have a diesel to begin with is a head scratcher. You are a milage king.

Looking at diesels F350's tomorrow. I guess rebates are good for the last of the 2015's right now but colors and options are getting pretty slim.

Rat Fink
09-17-2015, 10:54 PM

finboy
09-18-2015, 03:28 PM
http://memecrunch.com/meme/2NJ4M/ls1-swap-meme/image.jpg