PDA

View Full Version : EXTREME ROAD NOISE! 2005 Mazda 3

cidley69
10-16-2015, 11:12 AM
My older Mazda 3 has really loud road noise. The noise increases with speed, and not affected by engine RPMs.

I switched tires and noise is the same.

Anyone else encounter similar problem?

How did you fix it?

G-ZUS
10-16-2015, 11:17 AM
What does it sound like? Louder the faster you go? Sounds like wheel bearings

revelations
10-16-2015, 11:21 AM
Have you hit something hard enough to bend a wheel rim?

Skidro
10-16-2015, 11:31 AM
If it's getting louder by speed it might be the transmission. How does it drive still? Just noise no harshness?

quick_scar
10-16-2015, 11:35 AM
Is it coming from one specific corner? Could be wheel bearing if so. Had that happen on an accord before.

jaylo
10-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Extreme wheel noise calls for wheel bearing replacement!

lowryder99
10-16-2015, 03:27 PM
If you turn the car left to right does the sound go away or get quieter at all? If so that would point to a wheel bearing.

cidley69
10-16-2015, 03:29 PM
The rims are mint and haven't hit anything.

when I turn left or right the noise quiets.

based on your comments sounds like wheel bearings.

any guess how much it would cost to replace both front bearings at mechanic shop?

revelations
10-16-2015, 03:31 PM
I would say that its highly unlikely to be a transmission problem - esp if its independent of RPMs. Not impossible, just not probable.

If putting the car in neutral at speed makes no difference I'd start at the bearings.

cidley69
10-16-2015, 03:34 PM
it doesn't change based on engine RPMs, but does seem to go directly with wheel RPMs.

although, the noise seems loudest in front right, and around the gear shift centre cowling areas.

some of the noise is likely just due to thin metal'ed cheap build. but some sounds louder than any design would allow for.

Thaco
10-16-2015, 03:36 PM
call and ask, doesn't hurt.

cidley69
10-16-2015, 03:38 PM
I don't have a regular mechanic, do most small stuff myself.

anyone have recommended mechanic?

Thaco
10-16-2015, 03:42 PM
give Beyond transmission a call, the owner is my inlaws neighbour, very honest guy, wont sell you anything you dont need... (they do full mechanical)

http://beyondtransmissions.com/

eglove
10-16-2015, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by cidley69
I don't have a regular mechanic, do most small stuff myself.

anyone have recommended mechanic?

Garagebox

Kloubek
10-16-2015, 04:30 PM
I will almost guarantee this is due to wheel bearings. Sometimes only one side goes out, but it is not uncommon for them both to start failing around the same time - hence making it sound like a general front end noise.

If it wasn't already likely, the fact it quiets down when you turn makes it almost a no-brainer. When you turn (I swerve back and forth down the road when I want to check for bearings) you load up the weight on one wheel... which is why the noise goes away to a degree.

If you do most stuff yourself, you might want to tackle the bearings. It isn't terribly complicated - though many designs require press-in bearings, and most people don't have a shop.

Thaco
10-16-2015, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I will almost guarantee this is due to wheel bearings. Sometimes only one side goes out, but it is not uncommon for them both to start failing around the same time - hence making it sound like a general front end noise.

If it wasn't already likely, the fact it quiets down when you turn makes it almost a no-brainer. When you turn (I swerve back and forth down the road when I want to check for bearings) you load up the weight on one wheel... which is why the noise goes away to a degree.

If you do most stuff yourself, you might want to tackle the bearings. It isn't terribly complicated - though many designs require press-in bearings, and most people don't have a shop. yeah this specific car uses press in, if they were just stand alone hub assemblies like a lot of vehicles i'd have suggested doing it themselves, it's not a hard job if it's not press in.

Canucks3322
10-16-2015, 09:31 PM
Nobody's mentioned a stuck caliper? He hasn't really described the noise....

iron_man888
10-16-2015, 09:33 PM
we just got a replacement wheel bearing on my gf's mazda 3. shop quoted us $350 plus a wheel alignment $99

easy way to check if its a wheel bearing is to jack the car up and then see if there is any rattle/movement when you shake the wheel.
OqFSRXA_RQA

cidley69
10-17-2015, 11:55 AM
So that was for just one side?

Don't they want you to do them as pairs? Or not necessary?

iron_man888
10-17-2015, 12:13 PM
yes. here is the breakdown for my estimate. $163parts, 160 labour, 95 alignment.

What makes this job a pain in the ass this particular wheel bearing is the press-in type. If you know someone with a shop press; its not a hard project to do.

eglove
10-17-2015, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by Canucks3322
Nobody's mentioned a stuck caliper? He hasn't really described the noise....

But he hasn't mentioned any smells. Stuck caliper you will smell it. Nor has he described a pulling or dragging effect and it won't be affected by speed

Graham_A_M
10-17-2015, 02:19 PM
All you need is just an arbor press, although most of the time here at the farm I just use a punch (obviously you'd want to alternate where your punching out the old bearings and then later installing the new ones, as you don't want the bearings being cockeyed in the recess for them). Then possibly a piece of pipe to evenly distribute the pressure along the race of the bearing when installing the new ones.

bikeaddict
10-21-2015, 06:36 PM
that generation of mazda 3's are notorious for wheel bearings, and poor suspension causing feathered tires. most pass the wheel shake test but are still the cause of the noise. check your tire wear, and get the wheel bearings done.

03ozwhip
10-23-2015, 11:56 AM
FYI I just got my wheel bearing replaced today because of extreme road noise and now it's weird that it's so quiet lol get that thing replaced, the mechanic will figure out which side need replacing, but unless both are gone, which is rare, you only need to replace one side.

Hope this helps.

cidley69
10-23-2015, 12:05 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions. Because the noise increzsed gradually over months I was getting immune to it.

Wife drove with me and said I was crazy for driving in car so loud......

I got passenger side replaced, driver's was fine.

WOW, its like driving a stealth car now, sooooooooo quite.

Thanks for all the help on this one!

Beyond you rock!

03ozwhip
10-23-2015, 12:48 PM
Quick question, did they do an alignment after?

cidley69
10-23-2015, 12:50 PM
alignment was checked and didn't seem to need adjusting, so wasn't done.

Thaco
10-23-2015, 03:55 PM
realistically an alignment should not be necessary, all they do it pop the 2 ball joints, remove the knuckle and replace the bearing and reassemble... unless an alignment was done when the bearing was bad (which should never happen because they should check that before the alignment)

90_Shelby
10-24-2015, 09:01 AM
I recently replaced my wheel bearing on my C30, same pressed in style as the Mazda 3 and I did it without using a press.

I put the new bearing and hub in the freezer, removed the steering knuckle and hammered out the old bearing without damaging the knuckle. Once the old bearing was out, I put the knuckle in the BBQ to heat it up a bit. Once the knuckle was warm, I dropped the bearing in place and immediately cooled everything down with my air compressor.