PDA

View Full Version : Skype taking up a lot of memory..

Kobe
10-21-2015, 11:05 PM
So I formatted my laptop and my skype has just been taking up soooo much memory since the restart, I have no idea why there is no way it should be taking this much since it never did before.

How Do I fix this problem? I've tried reinstalling and downloading, running not as admin.. etc etc

The only thing I can think of is that I downgraded from Windows 7 64x to 32x, could this be causing the problem?

I tried the skype forums and reinstalled a new version without working.

Could there possibly be some sort of driver I missed that is causing this? It's only skype that is taking so much memory and I need it running!

It starts at around 180,000k when I load up skype and it jumps to 800k+ after an hour or so of running...

http://i.imgur.com/qanymNR.png

eiysa101
10-22-2015, 12:14 AM
It's a indication that you have a virus on your comp and someone is running your webcam when it shouldnt be. Run Malware Bytes in Safemode and look for hyped.exe in your task manager.

Kobe
10-22-2015, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by eiysa101
It's a indication that you have a virus on your comp and someone is running your webcam when it shouldnt be. Run Malware Bytes in Safemode and look for hyped.exe in your task manager.

Not sure if trolling or not since I havent had time to even install an anti-virus yet and this has happened since the 1st time I loaded skype, I can't imagine having a virus already but if this is actually true I will download an anti-virus and search for hyped.exe

Sure hope people are getting free poker coaching from watching my webcam :D

firebane
10-22-2015, 06:08 AM
this is not a virus but instead just simply a shirt program being used.

and why did you downgrade for that is silly.

Kobe
10-22-2015, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by firebane
this is not a virus but instead just simply a shirt program being used.

and why did you downgrade for that is silly.

I downgraded since the 64x windows cd wasnt loading and i got annoyed and installed the 32x..

I Can upgrade back to 64x if this will make skype run more smoothly, if there is nothing else that can fix the problem?

CompletelyNumb
10-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Yes, upgrade it to 64 bit. Then the 800mb memory its using will have less impact.

revelations
10-22-2015, 01:22 PM
Side track a bit, but its pretty obvious that the other items running the background (if you have no programs open) arent helping either.

Just disable these programs from starting up needlessly.

Kobe
10-22-2015, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by revelations
Side track a bit, but its pretty obvious that the other items running the background (if you have no programs open) arent helping either.

Just disable these programs from starting up needlessly.

All programs running must be running (only use this laptop of poker) - I need skype while playing as well or I would just delete it.

Thanks guys guess I'll just upgrade back to 64x

firebane
10-22-2015, 03:02 PM
Upgrade to x64 and throw more memory in it.

CompletelyNumb
10-22-2015, 03:54 PM
Who are you skyping to? Sharing your screen or your face while playing? Lots of options out there for screen sharing.

Kobe
10-22-2015, 05:34 PM
Upgrade to x64 and throw more memory in it.

Any idea where I can buy more memory locally, will memoryexpress sell it? I tried to search but nothing, I can order on Amazon but it will not arrive before I leave...

Thanks

Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Who are you skyping to? Sharing your screen or your face while playing? Lots of options out there for screen sharing.

No, there is never a webcam going on, when im either coaching i'm on voice calls or for all the group chats i'm in. (this is pretty complicated, and everything is legal in regards to poker) Just there is "divisions" and have to be avaliable incase someone is leaving/giving away lobbies and what not..

I'd love to use another program and yes I know there is lots out there but need to use skype..

For Screensharing I'm using Teamviewer always...

firebane
10-22-2015, 06:34 PM
What type of memory is in the machine? Probably just run of the mill DDR3 but you'd have to check.

Kobe
10-22-2015, 07:51 PM
What type of memory is in the machine? Probably just run of the mill DDR3 but you'd have to check.

Not sure but I guess it was 2 X 2GB (4GB) I went to memoryexpress and they checked for me.. will be installing 2 X 4GB now..

Edit: Thanks for the RAM suggestion, got double the ram now, hopefully this allows me to play a bit, will format again and maybe just get windows 8 or 10, I'm not a big fan of change though!

CompletelyNumb
10-23-2015, 12:48 AM
Windows 10 is the cats pajamas, and you'll want to be 64 bit to take advantage of that new RAM.

Kobe
10-24-2015, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
Windows 10 is the cats pajamas, and you'll want to be 64 bit to take advantage of that new RAM.

Just installed 7 again but 64x

I had no idea how much of a difference it would make.. WOW...

CompletelyNumb
10-24-2015, 09:03 AM
Glad you got it figured out

Kobe
10-26-2015, 12:25 PM
Sooo its still hitting 800k+ now a days on 64x and double the ram..

I'm just going 2 say fuck it and live with it :rofl: :rofl:

firebane
10-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

I'm just going 2 say fuck it and live with it :rofl: :rofl:

Its Skype.. Its just a ugly bitch

Seth1968
10-26-2015, 12:38 PM

That's because the ram has NOTHING to do with the issue (common myth).

What is the brand of the laptop, what version of Windows, and what method did you use to "format" your computer?

Kobe
10-26-2015, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

That's because the ram has NOTHING to do with the issue (common myth).

What is the brand of the laptop, what version of Windows, and what method did you use to "format" your computer?

I know the Ram had nothing 2 do with it, but i though having installed windows 7 32x was the difference?

I went back to windows 7 64x (professional) and it's back 2 being a useless POS again.

When I use the web.skype.com it woks fine but the skype.com download sucks, it takes like an hr or two for it to hit 800k+

The laptop is a Asus A53E, skype worked fine till i formatted for the time in years, I formatted by putting in the windows CD - starting from CD.. formatting C drive and reinstalling all of windows again + reinstalling all drivers and programs.

Not really sure what the issue is I have a C and D drive (proportioned..) on the hard drive and an External E drive where I keep 90%+ of my files...

It must be a memory leak? I read about it, but how to fix it I got nooo idea.

Edit: I havent done all the windows updates again since it always takes ages to finish, could this be the issue?

Seth1968
10-26-2015, 07:31 PM

I know the Ram had nothing 2 do with it, but i though having installed windows 7 32x was the difference?

I went back to windows 7 64x (professional) and it's back 2 being a useless POS again.

When I use the web.skype.com it woks fine but the skype.com download sucks, it takes like an hr or two for it to hit 800k+

The laptop is a Asus A53E, skype worked fine till i formatted for the time in years, I formatted by putting in the windows CD - starting from CD.. formatting C drive and reinstalling all of windows again + reinstalling all drivers and programs.

Not really sure what the issue is I have a C and D drive (proportioned..) on the hard drive and an External E drive where I keep 90%+ of my files...

It must be a memory leak? I read about it, but how to fix it I got nooo idea.

Edit: I havent done all the windows updates again since it always takes ages to finish, could this be the issue?

It also has NOTHING to do with 32 or 64 bit.

Your main hard drive is failing.