PDA

View Full Version : Did the recent Ubuntu / Android update kill anyone else's computer?

Mar
10-23-2015, 09:54 AM
I updated Ubuntu to 15.10 on both my laptop and desktop last night, it killed both of them, neither will boot. I also upgraded my OnePlus One phone this morning to the newest version of Android and now it just keeps power cycling, all 3 devices died, I'm guessing it has to do with a bug in the kernel since that's the only relation between the 3. Anyone else having issues?

revelations
10-23-2015, 10:50 AM
Thats why I wait 6 months after, or until a LTS version of Ubuntu distro comes out.

G-ZUS
10-23-2015, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by revelations
Thats why I wait 6 months after, or until a LTS version of Ubuntu distro comes out.

Mar is not the type of gal to wait

Mar
10-23-2015, 10:57 AM
I wait on my production servers but anything else I go right away. Everything is on cloud storage so I can just reinstall, which is likely what I'll be spending my weekend doing.

revelations
10-23-2015, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by G-ZUS
Mar is not the type of gal to wait

Truer words have not been spoken (in this thread)

Originally posted by Mar
I I can just reinstall, which is likely what I'll be spending my weekend doing.

Yep, just what every IT person wants to do on a weekend! Undoing something over a day or two that could have been avoided with common sense :dunno:

Mar
10-23-2015, 01:03 PM
Not updating your computer isn't really common sense. Anything that spent 6 months in development and a month into code cut off and quality control shouldn't really fail. I have been upgrading on release day for 7 years without problems.

spike98
10-23-2015, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Mar
I updated Ubuntu to 15.10 on both my laptop and desktop last night, it killed both of them, neither will boot. I also upgraded my OnePlus One phone this morning to the newest version of Android and now it just keeps power cycling, all 3 devices died, I'm guessing it has to do with a bug in the kernel since that's the only relation between the 3. Anyone else having issues?

Linux or any of its distro's have zero to do with android. I can promise you with 100% certainty they have different kernels. The fact that they both failed is purely coincidental or is due to user error.

revelations
10-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Mar
updating your workstations to a new OS THE DAY ITS RELEASED isn't really common sense.

Anything that spent 6 months in development and a month into code cut off and quality control shouldn't really fail..... BUT NO TWO SYSTEMS ARE ALIKE

I have been BUYING HORSESHOES AND LOTTO TICKETS SO THAT upgrading on **release day** for the past 7 years Ive been without problems.

fixed

/ should add that I am a big fan of Ubuntu