PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to remove pet odor?

Qadar
10-26-2015, 10:13 AM
Q.1
I am looking for used van and recently i like couple of them but both had pet odor, though they were fully cleaned.
if i buy vehicle with pet odor is it possible to remove it?
or it stays permanent. I have infant and do not want it if cant remove.
Q.2
If i sell my used car what do i do with Plate? Can i keep it for future, is there any cost associated with that?

Thanks all.

G-ZUS
10-26-2015, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Qadar
Q.1
I am looking for used van and recently i like couple of them but both had pet odor, though they were fully cleaned.
if i buy vehicle with pet odor is it possible to remove it?
or it stays permanent. I have infant and do not want it if cant remove.
Q.2
If i sell my used car what do i do with Plate? Can i keep it for future, is there any cost associated with that?

Thanks all.

you transfer your plate to the new vehicle

SkiBum5.0
10-26-2015, 11:01 AM
Keep the plate.

Pet odour is really tough to get out. There are a few remedies like Odour "Bombs" that you can buy at Canadian Tire. Essentially, you start the car, turn fans on high, put the can or "bomb" in the centre of the vehicle and hit the switch. Let the car run with fans on for 10 minutes, then open and air out.

After that, the only other way is to remove the carpet and have it professionally cleaned.

Also, change the cabin air filter after doing the odour treatment.

I did this with a previous car that had smoke odour but it only got 80% of the smell out.

BokCh0y
10-26-2015, 11:05 AM
I had a lot of smoke odor in the truck i bought. I febrezed the crap outta the interior and it did nothing. Even air fresheners only masked the smell for so long. What i ended up doing was ripping out the interior carpet and washing it. That cleared out a majority of the smell. The seats, I took them out and washed them with a pressure washer when we had that streak of +30 and left it out back to dry for days hah.

But year...odors in general are bitch to get out.

killramos
10-26-2015, 11:08 AM
I think ozone treatment pretty well works 100% but $$$

CanmoreOrLess
10-26-2015, 11:21 AM
Ozone treatment professionally done stands the best chance. I know of someone in Vancouver who tipped over (in the rear of a SUV) a large concentrated container of a solution (artificial cougar urine basically) to keep deer off the golf course and it was eliminated with the ozone treatment over a number of days. The vehicle could not be driven it was that bad, they had it towed to the shop for treatment. It was an insurance claim at that point.

BUT to buy a vehicle and get it cleaned without knowing 100% the end result is very risky.

Worth a call: http://www.calgaryozone.com/vehicle-odours/

Qadar
10-26-2015, 11:34 AM
Thank you guys,, seems its not easy!

HiSpec
10-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Another option is find a detailer with a professional grade steamer and extractor. Not the Bissell stuff but a high temperature steamer and suction pressure power.

Seth1968
10-26-2015, 12:18 PM
Unless you take out and replace all of the porous materials in the vehicle, the smell will remain.

nzwasp
10-26-2015, 01:35 PM
Theres this powder that you can get from dollar stores, it can be perfumed or not. It will be sold a a carpet deoderant or something like that. Anyway sprinkle it generously in the trunk or whereever in the car and then wait 2 days or so then vacuum it up - good as new.

We used it in the car when my daughter threw up all over the car and car seats on the way to the hospital. After I used it I could no longer smell anything.

jacky4566
10-26-2015, 02:08 PM
Are we talking about a panel van or minivan? Panel van just replace fabrics and your are done.

All else fails you could take up smoking?

Qadar
10-30-2015, 03:50 PM
Mini Van!

Kloubek
10-30-2015, 04:41 PM
I think only time can take out odor, and even that doesn't always work. I have never discovered any product that properly and permanently removes it.

Seth1968
10-30-2015, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by jacky4566
Are we talking about a panel van or minivan? Panel van just replace fabrics and your are done.

All else fails you could take up smoking?

i don't know who you are, but your sarcasm is brilliant.