PDA

View Full Version : Mazda's Tokyo sports car concept features a rotary engine - SkyActiv-R

pheoxs
10-27-2015, 12:26 PM
Mazda has confirmed that its sports car concept headed to this week's Tokyo motor show will feature a new generation of rotary engine, and will have a two-door, two-seat design.

The new engine, which has been dubbed SkyActiv-R, was confirmed by the company's head of research and development Kiyoshi Fujiwara on the eve of the Tokyo show.

Speaking to Autocar, Fujiwara said: "People think rotary can not meet modern Eco demands. The SkyActiv engineers worked on rotary and have it cutting edge tech. It is an essential part of our DNA and it just be passed onto future engineers. It is synonymous with the brand. Some time in the future it will return and be called SkyActiv-R"

Mazda president and CEO Masamichi Kogai said: "It is a two-door, two-seater. It is a pure sports car design. We have MX-5 and another icon is a rotary sports car. We haven't talked about market reach but this would be in that segment." Mazda design boss Ikuo Maeda added that the concept "represents our dream, but we don't want it to be a dream too long."

Further hints as to concept's rotary power source came earlier this month when Mazda released details of other cars that will be shown on its stand, including the 967 Mazda Cosmo Sport 110S, the company’s first rotary powered mass-production model.

It was also confirmed earlier this year that Mazda still had a dedicated engineering team focussed on rotary engine development. Kogai said: "Initial targets for rotary were set higher than gasoline. I said before it would be difficult for mass production, and this encouraged our engineers to work harder to acheive these targets. I believe one day our engineers can overcome those challenges and meet targets.

"We want to have good communication with our fans on the concept. I'd like to know how great their expectations are. R&D are working very hard - the targets are strict, rotary engines have lots of issues, and we need to solve each of them. It's not just emissions, it's performance as well, and making it easy to maintain. A rotary engine is a difficult engine to solve all these problems.

"If I say anything about [launch] dates I put too much pressure on our engineers. I want to avoid putting pressure on them. I would like to hear feedback on the design of the vehicle. This is the design of a sports car that really encapsulates a front-engined rear-wheel drive car. It embodies a Mazda sports car."

While Kogai hasn't outlined a timeline for the return of the RX brand, it’s feasible that a successor to the RX-8 could appear by 2018, to coincide with the 40th anniversary of the original RX-7.

Mazda has also experimented with using rotary engines for different applications beyond being the sole powertrain for a vehicle. It has applied for patents using a rotary engine as a range extender on a hybrid system and even demonstrated a prototype based on the previous generation of its 2 supermini back in 2013.

The Japanese manufacturer killed off its last rotary-engined sports car, the RX-8, back in 2012 as its motor faced ever-tightening emissions regulations. The firm did build a prototype turbocharged RX-8, but that car would have failed to meet European requirements too, and its further development could not be justified on Japanese sales alone.

In fact, rumours of Mazda's return to rotary engines stretch back to 2010, when insiders hinted that a successor the RX-7, potentially to be dubbed RX-9, was planned.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-tokyo-motor-show/mazda-confirms-new-rotary-engined-sports-car-concept

Ca_Silvia13
10-27-2015, 12:40 PM
Just thinking out loud on this one. If Mazda goes with a rotary hybrid sports car, primarily run off electric motors and use the Wankel as a generator/supplemental power. Does it still have to hit target ICE emissions standards? Or could the back door the emissions with "combined" numbers?

Mibz
10-27-2015, 12:50 PM
People think rotary can not meet modern Eco demands. I don't think rotary engines can hit emissions demands from the 80s.
Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
Just thinking out loud on this one. If Mazda goes with a rotary hybrid sports car, primarily run off electric motors and use the Wankel as a generator/supplemental power. Does it still have to hit target ICE emissions standards? Or could they back door the emissions with "combined" numbers? I think it could only do that if the rotary never directly powered the wheels, but I don't see that being the case. I mean, they can still use the combined numbers though, which are likely to be way better than ICE alone, so it's still a win.

Ca_Silvia13
10-27-2015, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
I don't think rotary engines can hit emissions demands from the 80s.

My thought's exactly. I followed a RX7 build thread from the states, even with a high flow cat the NO numbers at idle where 8 times the limit. Those engineers have a hell of a challenge.

rage2
10-27-2015, 01:56 PM
Mibz is right, the key is that the motor doesn't power the vehicle, and only charges the battery. That's how the BMW i3 with the range extender is still classified as a ZEV.

A3GTiVR6SC
10-27-2015, 06:27 PM
LT1 SWAP!!!:rofl: :poosie:

sr20s14zenki
10-27-2015, 06:58 PM
They solved alot of other hurtles when the engine was first developed. Maybe they can solve the emissions problem. Just by doing the side port exhaust (and higher compression), NA power numbers jumped from approx 150 to 236. Thats a pretty stout improvement. Im sure they have something up their sleeve yet.

EM2FTL
10-28-2015, 09:46 AM
*SWOON*

http://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/mazda-news/mazda-new-sports-car-concept/

Even after discontinuing production of the RX-8 in 2012, Mazda continued research and development to further evolve the rotary engine. This next-generation rotary engine has been christened SKYACTIV-R, a name intended to represent the company’s firm resolve in applying the most advanced technologies and the same high aspirations that yielded SKYACTIV TECHNOLOGY towards achieving a breakthrough in addressing the three key issues with rotary engines — fuel economy, emissions performance and reliability.

Mazda will never stop challenging to deliver new rotary engines that provide its unique brand of driving pleasure.

http://cdn-0.motor1.com/p/static/img/mglr/500000/590000/598000/598600/598646/s8/mazda-rx-vision-concept.jpg

Mibz
10-28-2015, 10:00 AM
The way people are fawning over this, we may have another "Fuck this car" candidate.

Kloubek
10-28-2015, 10:07 AM
It's been nearly half a century that Mazda has offered the rotary in their vehicles. And for those near 50 years, the rotary has never been as reliable or efficient (displacement aside) as their piston counterparts.

I think it would be unrealistic to expect that Mazda finally solved both issues. Unless they've made serious tech breakthroughs with this engine, I think it might be time to drop the rotary experiment.

Signed, former (3X) RX7 owner.

Pacman
10-28-2015, 10:21 AM
more apex seals please.

EM2FTL
10-28-2015, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by Mibz
The way people are fawning over this, we may have another "Fuck this car" candidate.

Not familiar with this meme, is this a beyond thing? I was excited for the 86 concept and massively disappointed with the final product, perhaps that's where you're going with that.

Lots of hate ITT - I assume it would be well loved here if the car featured AWD, some sort of DCT, weighed 4,000lbs and had an AMG or M badge.

I'll continue fawning in anticipation of specs and technical details :)

b_t
10-28-2015, 10:50 AM
My only problem with it right now is it looks boring boring boring, and very derivative too. Like, we get it, car designers ... the Aston Martin DB9 was a very pretty car. Ripping it off doesn't do you any favors though, especially in this case, where it makes the Mazda M stuck in the grille look very cheap.

Lex350
10-28-2015, 11:20 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
It's been nearly half a century that Mazda has offered the rotary in their vehicles. And for those near 50 years, the rotary has never been as reliable or efficient (displacement aside) as their piston counterparts.

I think it would be unrealistic to expect that Mazda finally solved both issues. Unless they've made serious tech breakthroughs with this engine, I think it might be time to drop the rotary experiment.

Signed, former (3X) RX7 owner.

As a former RX8 owner...I agree fully with your statement.

Lex350
10-28-2015, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by EM2FTL

Not familiar with this meme, is this a beyond thing? I was excited for the 86 concept and massively disappointed with the final product, perhaps that's where you're going with that.

Lots of hate ITT - I assume it would be well loved here if the car featured AWD, some sort of DCT, weighed 4,000lbs and had an AMG or M badge.

I'll continue fawning in anticipation of specs and technical details :)

Can't speak for the others but my hate is directly targeted at the horrible reliability of the rotary.....next is my hatred of mazda dealership service managers.

Mibz
10-28-2015, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by EM2FTL
Not familiar with this meme, is this a beyond thing? "Fuck this car" is for vehicles which are hyped in concept form and then either take 5 years to get released or never go into production at all.

The BRZ/FRS was the first of its kind. We got random bits of hype and rumours for YEARS. People would create thread after thread talking about this nonexistent car. So fuck that car. The BRZ STI, NSX, Nissan ILX or whatever concept, Canadian CTR, etc. all fell into the same category.

Cars like the Q60 Eau Rouge don't fall into the "Fuck this car" category because their hype was short lived. "Fuck this car" is reserved for cars that don't exist, but are talked about so much as to become annoying.

People are going nuts over this very conceptual concept. If Mazda brings out another version of the concept without announcing a firm production date, fuck this car.

EM2FTL
10-28-2015, 11:46 AM
^lol, thank you for the explanation. The 86 definitely fits the bill. I'd forgotten all about the ILX datsun-looking thing.

Toyota's new S-FR concept might fit the bill as well, thought it hasn't been hyped that much.

http://www.topgear.com/car-news/tokyo-motor-show/toyotas-s-fr-concept-tiny-rwd-sports-car-we-want-and-need

redline
10-28-2015, 12:13 PM
^ no one is talking about that cause its fugly and everyone wants it die a quick death

b_t
10-28-2015, 02:05 PM
I think it's actually pretty neat looking and they should totally build it. but they shouldn't have used that crappy photoshop of it on the road as a promo pic... that's the opposite of a myspace angle. very very unflattering

EM2FTL
10-28-2015, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by redline
^ no one is talking about that cause its fugly and everyone wants it die a quick death

Huh.. I thought it was fucking awesome that an automaker is contemplating bringing affordable RWD fun to the masses. There are a ton of shitbox FWD cars in this price range, why not a shitbox RWD for 12-15K? I'd have bought that in a heartbeat over the Civic I ended buying during uni.