PDA

View Full Version : Old Music CD's and DVD's...what to do?

C_Dave45
11-01-2015, 01:57 PM
I was going through the old entertainment centre in my house and all of a sudden realized it's filled with nothing but crap.

Hundreds of CD's and DVD's as well as paperbacks that we haven't used in YEARS!

Does anyone actually listen to or watch CD's/DVD's anymore??

I shudder to think of the money we've spent on these items over the years, and all to what...throw in the garbage? Shelves and shelves of media that is nothing but a dust collector.

Time to purge!!!

Gman.45
11-01-2015, 02:11 PM
Similar boat here.

Back in the early 90s when I moved to Calgary, I spent a lot of $ at Video and Sound downtown, and other vid stores, waiting for the VHS tapes to hit the used bin from new releases. I had 5 of the large IKEA entertainment media holders which took up 2 walls in my basement, nothing but VHS tapes and Laser Disc, about 250 Discs, and 1200 or so tapes.

Then came DVDs - re bought many favorites, and again, had 3 or 4 large units filled with those, well over 1000.

Now all the above are stored in shed #2 at my home. I can carry all that around in my pocket like everyone else thanks to technology.

Books, I have so many epubs and pdfs I can't count, I'd guess ten thousand I've collected over the years - Osprey's entire warfare series which has to be several hundred alone, and many other examples, every Star Trek book and tech manual is another example. I do have a large library of actual books, wife has more, combined our home library/den is jam packed, but I have far, far more on digital, and only read "real" books to re-read sentimental stuff usually, or for artwork books and graphic novels.

Spent a lot, especially in the 90s and early/mid 2000s. Was fun at the time, but I wouldn't go backwards from the tech we have now. Life changed, I spend a lot of time in waiting rooms/hospitals now, and being able to take thousands of books, tv series, and movies with me is a godsend, truly.

I bought an Etaco Jetbook epub reader long before Kindle was a thing, 2008 IIRC - I remember how astonished other people in those waiting rooms were sitting beside me seeing I had dozens of books to choose from, and how it worked, especially for its size. Fast forward only a few years, and now everyone and their dog has better capability on their phone device. It wasn't all that much before that when I had a portable DVD player and carted tons of DVDs with me on frequent flights for work. Same deal now, I haven't even SEEN one in years, it didn't take long for them to be replaced by tech.

I still have no regrets, but I am jealous of kids now, who will have all that access to knowledge and entertainment at the tips of their fingers, without having to spend or work much for it.

OU812
11-01-2015, 02:11 PM
rip em to mp3s.

C_Dave45
11-01-2015, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by OU812
rip em to mp3s.
Already did that years ago. But hardly even listen to hard drive music anymore. Mostly streamed.

revelations
11-01-2015, 02:24 PM
Yea its appalling how much music used to cost. A CD with 1-2 good songs ..... 22$. I ripped my music back in 2003 but like Dave have gone all streaming unless outside of coverage (driving through mountains or on aircraft).

Mixalot27
11-01-2015, 02:28 PM
I got rid of all my DVD's this summer. I had about 150 in total. I listed them on Kiji for $100 and sold them within a day. I was amazed at the amount of messages I got.

C_Dave45
11-01-2015, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by Mixalot27
I got rid of all my DVD's this summer. I had about 150 in total. I listed them on Kiji for $100 and sold them within a day. I was amazed at the amount of messages I got.
Wow, really??

Did you get a lot of those idiotic "will you take 5 cents for iRobot?" type responses?

Or did you find one buyer who forked out the C-note?

Robin Goodfellow
11-01-2015, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Gman.45
Similar boat here.

Back in the early 90s when I moved to Calgary, I spent a lot of $ at Video and Sound downtown, and other vid stores, waiting for the VHS tapes to hit the used bin from new releases. I had 5 of the large IKEA entertainment media holders which took up 2 walls in my basement, nothing but VHS tapes and Laser Disc, about 250 Discs, and 1200 or so tapes.

Then came DVDs - re bought many favorites, and again, had 3 or 4 large units filled with those, well over 1000.

I still have no regrets, but I am jealous of kids now, who will have all that access to knowledge and entertainment at the tips of their fingers, without having to spend or work much for it.

I knew so many who did this. Never understood it with rentals so accessible.

Yeah, I've got a handful of my favorite videos, but never understood the hoarding of items that are mostly single-use and otherwise so readily available.

Mixalot27
11-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45

Wow, really??

Did you get a lot of those idiotic "will you take 5 cents for iRobot?" type responses?

Or did you find one buyer who forked out the C-note?

One buyer bought the whole lot for the hundred bucks. The guy who bought them owned a cabin somewhere remote, and was buying them to watch there.

But I had several other offers of asking price or close to it as well. I probably could have asked a bit more even. Seems to me like it is still pretty easy to sell Dvd's for around $1 each or a bit less.

AndyL
11-01-2015, 03:38 PM
uE-LqccV4yk

Protospace has one that occasionally makes appearances at geek type events :)

SKR
11-01-2015, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Does anyone actually listen to or watch CD's/DVD's anymore??

I buy 40-60 CDs a year, and DVDs of TV shows I like. I like having something I can hold, and while I rip everything onto a computer for portability's sake anyway I feel like this way I have control over quality.

C_Dave45
11-01-2015, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by SKR

I buy 40-60 CDs a year, and DVDs of TV shows I like. I like having something I can hold, and while I rip everything onto a computer for portability's sake anyway I feel like this way I have control over quality.
Have I got a deal for YOU then!! :rofl:

Really??? You still buy hard media? I don't even have anything to play discs on anymore.

rage2
11-01-2015, 04:57 PM
I've got garbage bags of DVDs to get rid off here too. So much less clutter not buying physical media for the last few years.

blairtruck
11-01-2015, 05:01 PM
Someone gave DVD the other day I had no way to play it in my home.

Proyecto2000
11-01-2015, 09:58 PM
I listen to cds all the time in my truck even though I have XM :rofl:

Moonracer
11-02-2015, 12:47 PM
I still have all my dvd's and cd's along with a couple of dvd players and two nice single disc cd players. Although I have bought many movies, tv shows and music online, I still prefer to have a physical copy that I can basically do with as I please. Don't have to worry about using up my monthly bandwidth by streaming or get pissed off on occasion when the connection is slow or the wi fi fucks up. As for music, a high end cd player has a far better DA converter than a smart phone or apple tv and such. This last year and a half I have put together a nice hi fi system and it's been awesome. CD's are cheap these days and a lot of what I buy is greatest hits compilations so I get more for the money.

killramos
11-02-2015, 12:53 PM
I say RIP them all and long term Store. CD's, DVD's. I have even thought of buying an External BD drive to make some BD rips.

Long term I have always wanted to have myself a home media server with all of these things on there. More as a hobby/pet project than anything haha.

BD i still buy all the time for movies i know i will want to have long term. BD quality is noticably better than streaming or downloads anyways so :dunno:

rage2
11-02-2015, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by killramos
BD i still buy all the time for movies i know i will want to have long term. BD quality is noticably better than streaming or downloads anyways so :dunno:
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/39-networking-media-servers-content-streaming/1977785-interstellar-blu-ray-vs-itunes-vs-vudu-vs-amazon.html

Coles notes: BD is slightly better than streaming, while the gap between BD and film print is ginormous. Basically, if you REALLY care about quality, go to the theater. :rofl:

killramos
11-02-2015, 01:36 PM
lol i do that as well. But aren't damn near all theaters ( aside from imax) now fully digital?

Above 1080P sure. But digital.

C_Dave45
11-02-2015, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by killramos
I say RIP them all and long term Store. CD's, DVD's. I have even thought of buying an External BD drive to make some BD rips.

Long term I have always wanted to have myself a home media server with all of these things on there. More as a hobby/pet project than anything haha.

I've already ripped everything to my hard drives and backup drives. I use XBMC as my media player/server. Great user interface, with trailers, info, thumbnails etc.

Any new music or movies that I want, I just download via torrents. A 1080p, ~10 GB MKV file is just as clear as any BD movie I've watched from disc.
That's on a 60" LED TV with a decent surround sound amp.

example screenshot of XBMC on TV:

http://soft.sibnet.ru/data/screenshot/screenshot005.jpg

killramos
11-02-2015, 02:14 PM
^ My current plan is Plex server and Plex app for Xbox

https://plex.tv/xbox

Same difference.

As for torrents i don't use them :dunno:

Inzane
11-02-2015, 03:01 PM
CDs - I will still buy the occasional physical albums of artists I've followed. On the odd occasion I've broken from tradition and bought an album off itunes I've later regreted the gap in my physical collection when i have them laid out in front of me. (My itunes purchases have primarily been singles not albums from misc. artists where I'm only interested in a track or two).

DVDs - these purchases now are either bargin bin kids stuff for the kids and their travel players, etc., OR some old retro TV show seasons I pick up off of amazon for cheap.

Blu-Rays - blu-rays to me are still the gold standard for my home theater setup. I am much more particular to what I will buy now compared to my DVD heyday, but for certain types of movies which I know I will watch more than once I will buy the BRs. (I've avoided the temptation of trying to upgrade everything I had on DVD to BR).

We have netflix now so that helps to catch up on a lot of recent or semi-recent releases. My overall amount of purchases of movies is definitely down.

I don't pirate.

rage2
11-02-2015, 03:09 PM
This is me "buying" music. Oh look, HMV. Iron Maiden has a new album out? I should get it:

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/3392B489-3002-4285-93C3-93D0C3BF0777_zpssit8cpqu.jpg

Hey Siri, play The book of souls:

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/207E6B8F-E28F-4010-806A-F249A3332C93_zpsu884tbli.png

Click!

http://i1213.photobucket.com/albums/cc475/rage2amg/6508034E-F2C5-4A86-82BD-B41C45897908_zpsq0fmilf3.png

Inzane
11-02-2015, 03:17 PM
^^ Funny you mention Iron Maiden. That is one of the bands that I do collect physical albums. I love the artwork.

So, how is the new album? I haven't heard any of it yet.

rage2
11-02-2015, 03:48 PM
Sounds great. Typical Maiden. Will have to listen to it for 20 years before it's as engrained as their older stuff haha.

I had sent that sequence of pics 2 months ago to some friends to question what's the point of HMV these days.