PDA

View Full Version : Chumpcar 2016 in Edmonton July 30,31

JustinL
11-02-2015, 09:20 AM
Just a heads up in case anyone was thinking about starting a build on a car. The schedule is up and next years race will be a double 12hr on the weekend of July 30th and 31st. This years race was fantastic and there was no major contact throughout the 24 hours between any teams, so it definitely is possible to keep a car pretty through a weekend.
See you guys there next year.

Our chumpcar 944 "Rothman's Cup Tribute" build thread is up on Straightpipe: http://straightpipe.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=2454

EM2FTL
11-02-2015, 11:42 AM
Team RedSuns will be back to defend our class title with the NA FC, and hopefully finish higher than 5th overall. The double 12 format will be a lot easier on drivers and crew as well.

Can't wait to see how the 944 turns out!

zaider
11-03-2015, 08:29 PM
I believe we'll be getting rid of our '75 BMW that we raced in Chumpcar in Calgary a few years ago.

http://www.betacuts.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/5752602764_797c99d926_b.jpg

Penguin_Racecar
11-03-2015, 09:11 PM
The double 12 stint will be sooooo much nicer if I'm pit crewing again. Sleeping in a bed is underrated.

Sentry
11-03-2015, 09:44 PM
Had so much fun driving in the 24 this year!

03ozwhip
11-06-2015, 05:26 PM
What are the rules for building a car and how do you apply to get in? This looks like a lot of fun.

Penguin_Racecar
11-06-2015, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
What are the rules for building a car and how do you apply to get in? This looks like a lot of fun.

The chumpcar website has pretty much everything you need for information. Any specific car regulation questions can probably be posted on NASCC's straightpipe.ca forums.

Zhao Kan
11-07-2015, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by EM2FTL
Team RedSuns will be back to defend our class title with the NA FC, and hopefully finish higher than 5th overall. The double 12 format will be a lot easier on drivers and crew as well.

Can't wait to see how the 944 turns out!

I swear, next year will be the year we do not wear out the outside edge of our tires and have brand new tread on the inside lol.

...and yes, in theory we could slow down and save the tires, however team maximum time attack only knows one speed.

EM2FTL
06-09-2016, 11:18 AM
Bump. Any Calgary people confirmed as bringing up a car/team?

Sentry
06-09-2016, 01:34 PM
I might be driving for the same team I did last year. They're working on putting it together right now.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-09-2016, 05:19 PM
We're all registered, car's running well. Got a few things to do, like install the fire system, but we're pretty well ready to race!

EM2FTL
08-03-2016, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
We're all registered, car's running well. Got a few things to do, like install the fire system, but we're pretty well ready to race!

What car were you in / how'd the weekend go?

RedSuns car never did get finished, but I had a blast driving the Bandit FC. I've never had that much fun in a race car before :D

HiTempguy1
08-03-2016, 10:15 AM

RedSuns car never did get finished, but I had a blast driving the Bandit FC. I've never had that much fun in a race car before :D

I was so confused about why RedSuns wasn't on the timing sheets.

Too bad you guys didn't get ahold of me earlier, I could have helped wrench :cry:

BerserkerCatSplat
08-03-2016, 12:12 PM

We were in the purple Daytona, and since you were next to us in the pits you probably know exactly how badly our weekend went! :rofl: We knew we weren't going to be competitive and were in it for laughs, but still pretty disappointed with how things turned out. Not sure if we'll go to a different engine or a different car entirely, haha. We may be able to get an SRT4 motor in there under the 500 point mark.

D'z Nutz
08-03-2016, 01:46 PM

We were in the purple Daytona, and since you were next to us in the pits you probably know exactly how badly our weekend went! :rofl: We knew we weren't going to be competitive and were in it for laughs, but still pretty disappointed with how things turned out. Not sure if we'll go to a different engine or a different car entirely, haha. We may be able to get an SRT4 motor in there under the 500 point mark.

For those of us not in the pits, what happened?

BerserkerCatSplat
08-03-2016, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

For those of us not in the pits, what happened?

Well, we planned to take it slow and steady as we knew our chassis wasn't nearly as sorted as the faster cars and we were also lower on the horsepower scale. We did everything to make our engines last (rebuild, upgraded cooling, oil cooling, baffled pans, Accusump) and despite all that, our two engines lasted about 25 laps each. Out of a possible 24 hours, we got in maybe 2 hours of actual racing.

We had a huge low-oil-pressure light mounted on the dash, and it never showed as much as a flicker. Both motors ate their bottom ends at full oil pressure. I'm mystified.

EM2FTL
08-04-2016, 10:19 PM

Wow I had no idea that was a group of beyonders, I would have said hello! We were sorry to see that you guys weren't out for day 2 :(

Our engine blew up on day 1 but the car held up well on day 2. I'd seriously consider a more reliable platform to come back with, it's pretty fun when you can start stringing sessions together even if the car isn't lightning fast (this was what I was used to in Chumpcar races). When the car does happen to be fast, it's even better (as I learned this year) :D

*edit - here's a shot of your car if you guys didn't get many in between mechanicals https://www.instagram.com/p/BIfU8dQjl_m/

Sentry
08-05-2016, 12:32 AM
Drove one stint each day in the #47 CRX. Managed a 1:37.0 with double digit horsepower to the wheels. :poosie:

Bandit was fast as always. Sucks the cop mustang wasn't able to turn very many laps. I was looking forward to seeing it in the rearview and running away from it.

JustinL
08-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Our team had a lot of fun... but also a lot of trouble with bolts backing out. The first thing that broke was the exhaust and I think the extra vibration caused a number of mission critical bolts to back out. The car looked pretty when it was out there though!

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-r8Hg04I3SNY/V6C3W1tjw7I/AAAAAAAAERU/BmahjC5b9RwEMX0z5ZC1Oi5UAhLy_0_ZwCCo/s912/13680448_10153558207211895_2760975514563724972_o.jpg

Joe-G
08-05-2016, 11:31 AM
Are 94-01 Acura Integras okay to use for chump car? Is that platform frowned upon?

EM2FTL
08-05-2016, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Joe-G
Are 94-01 Acura Integras okay to use for chump car? Is that platform frowned upon?

There were ... 4 in this year's field IIRC.

EM2FTL
08-05-2016, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Sentry
Drove one stint each day in the #47 CRX. Managed a 1:37.0 with double digit horsepower to the wheels. :poosie:

Bandit was fast as always. Sucks the cop mustang wasn't able to turn very many laps. I was looking forward to seeing it in the rearview and running away from it.

Getting the point-by from them was enjoyable, I was hoping they'd be able to turn more laps as well tho. Bandit was an awesome ride, got me into the 1:32s by .01 lol (1:32.99), looking forward to next year's setup!

BerserkerCatSplat
08-05-2016, 09:37 PM

Wow I had no idea that was a group of beyonders, I would have said hello! We were sorry to see that you guys weren't out for day 2 :(

Our engine blew up on day 1 but the car held up well on day 2. I'd seriously consider a more reliable platform to come back with, it's pretty fun when you can start stringing sessions together even if the car isn't lightning fast (this was what I was used to in Chumpcar races). When the car does happen to be fast, it's even better (as I learned this year) :D

*edit - here's a shot of your car if you guys didn't get many in between mechanicals https://www.instagram.com/p/BIfU8dQjl_m/

Well, we were out for Day 2, just not for very long, haha. We'll see what happens, I suspect our bottom end tolerances are just too tight and are closing up under race temperatures. When we loaded the car on the trailer after Day 2, the engine was seized solid - 100+ ftlb on the crank bolt wouldn't even move it. Yet a few days later, I hit the starter on a lark and it fired right up. It may be OK to race as-is if I open up the bearing clearances. Tough to convince us to not to change platforms though, haha!

We were super stoked to see you guys had done an overnight rebuild, the Bandit is an awesome car!

Thanks for the pic!

Zhao Kan
08-08-2016, 12:29 PM
Why no chance of changing platforms from the Daytona to something more suited to racing?

I'm guessing that thing is going to take a lot of work to make a well sorted race car.

JustinL
08-08-2016, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Zhao Kan
Why no chance of changing platforms from the Daytona to something more suited to racing?

I'm guessing that thing is going to take a lot of work to make a well sorted race car.

I think he's saying they are ready to abandon the platform. If I'm reading it right.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-08-2016, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by JustinL

I think he's saying they are ready to abandon the platform. If I'm reading it right.

Indeed, after that debacle we are definitely considering something, anything else, haha. Although if we handled our AIV carefully we could get an SRT4 motor in there...

BTW, it was nice to meet you, Justin!

zhao
08-14-2016, 01:58 PM

Indeed, after that debacle we are definitely considering something, anything else, haha. Although if we handled our AIV carefully we could get an SRT4 motor in there...

yes you probably could, but I'd avoid anything turbo for an endurance race. You'd be looking at a lot of heat production which kills your reliability and will send you on a endless journey trying to cure heat soak and overheating issues with a limited budget. Plus if nothing else there is just more parts to go wrong, and you're still saddled with a chassis that was never made to turn a corner

IMO my experience says run a 2nd gen RX7 non turbo. We've had good and bad luck with ours, but we keep getting on the podium regardless... it's just the overall win keeps eluding us, probably because while ours has been fairly reliable, it isn't ported (which is legal) and the suspension is crap.

The advantages to that car is besides being able to be fast enough with power and handling and reliable enough to win, it's rwd and actually enjoyable to drive, has a lot of support around here from peopel who are not tight lipped about race secrets, and can be classed well in other forms of racing if you want to broaden your experiences there.

BerserkerCatSplat
08-16-2016, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by zhao

yes you probably could, but I'd avoid anything turbo for an endurance race. You'd be looking at a lot of heat production which kills your reliability and will send you on a endless journey trying to cure heat soak and overheating issues with a limited budget. Plus if nothing else there is just more parts to go wrong, and you're still saddled with a chassis that was never made to turn a corner

IMO my experience says run a 2nd gen RX7 non turbo. We've had good and bad luck with ours, but we keep getting on the podium regardless... it's just the overall win keeps eluding us, probably because while ours has been fairly reliable, it isn't ported (which is legal) and the suspension is crap.

The advantages to that car is besides being able to be fast enough with power and handling and reliable enough to win, it's rwd and actually enjoyable to drive, has a lot of support around here from peopel who are not tight lipped about race secrets, and can be classed well in other forms of racing if you want to broaden your experiences there.

Yeah the Daytona predates my involvement in the team, I'm not really attached to it. Cooling wasn't an issue (surprisingly), we had an oversized OEM rad and oil cooling, it was just not enough rod bearing clearance for racing. I built the bottom end 0.001 over factory for clearance and apparently it needed 0.002. How she goes.

I love the FCs, but unfortunately I don't know a rotary engine from a hole in the ground, so we'll probably stick to something with a standard engine for now as I wouldn't want to race something I couldn't fix. We were kicking around the idea of an early MX-5 but haven't really given it a ton of thought yet.