PDA

View Full Version : StopTech BBK Rotors Question

Boosted_TL
11-03-2015, 04:41 PM
Ive got a pair that needs to be re machined. Does anyone have experience with a reputable machine shop? This is not a job for Autovalue or Partsource.

Thanks!

ercchry
11-03-2015, 04:53 PM
from stoptech:

Hope you haven't machined your bbk rotors yet.

The big brake rotors are a 2pc rotor design that is held together with a coned spring washer. This keeps tension between the aluminum hat and the iron rotor. With uneven forces from the machines that do the rotor turning, it can apply more pressure to certain spots of the rotor flattening out the washer leaving some places with a deeper cut than others, and possibly creating an uneven surface resulting in steering wheel shake and brake pedal pulsation.

If you have been running the rotors for track days, just keep running the rotors until the cracks become large enough to hook a fingernail onto. Then you know the cracks are too big, and the rotor should be replaced.

http://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-suspension/471120-machining-stoptech-rotors.html

so sounds like a traditional machine wont work, perhaps a cnc where the rotor could lay flat would be okay (like resurfacing a flywheel) try gretz maybe?

Boosted_TL
11-03-2015, 05:08 PM
I did navigate their webpage a little bit and I am thinking mine may be a different story.... Previous owner threw on these brakes with an aggressive track pad and I can assure you they were not used that way. I think brake pad debris has accumulated on the rotor causing the shake. No cracks at all...

I'm ok with buying new ones but wanted to entertain the re machining part as they still are in great shape.

ercchry
11-03-2015, 05:31 PM
Its the two piece design that is the issue, so yeah i'd give gretz a pm and see if he wants to tackle it with the cnc machine... if its just brake pad residue though perhaps there is a solvent that would do the trick?

Boosted_TL
11-03-2015, 06:28 PM
Good call! Awaiting on the brake experts to chime in on the solvent...

revelations
11-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Lots of info about this specific issue on their site :D

http://stoptech.com/technical-support/technical-white-papers/uneven-pad-deposit-removal

crusher777
11-03-2015, 07:27 PM
go to Ravi at Minute Muffler on 32nd. Had my 2 piece rotor machine for $160.

Boosted_TL
11-04-2015, 09:35 AM
I'll contact Ravi and Gretz. Thanks fellas

natty54
11-04-2015, 12:16 PM
I think you sent me an email

mr2mike
11-04-2015, 03:18 PM
Make sure you're within the thickness specs too after the turning.

I would consider, if the grooves aren't too bad, scuffing with emery cloth and taking that top layer off. Then redo the bedding process/heat cycle.

That being said, I can't see the rotors in question.

k1l4m
11-04-2015, 03:45 PM
What kind of pads? Re bedding them might do the trick as posted above.

Boosted_TL
11-04-2015, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by natty54
I think you sent me an email

About new rotors? Yes

Originally posted by mr2mike
Make sure you're within the thickness specs too after the turning.

I would consider, if the grooves aren't too bad, scuffing with emery cloth and taking that top layer off. Then redo the bedding process/heat cycle.

That being said, I can't see the rotors in question.

I did think of this too... I can throw some pictures up.

Originally posted by k1l4m
What kind of pads? Re bedding them might do the trick as posted above.

Stop Tech Track pads.... wrong pads for application> I will be changing to Street Performance pads