PDA

View Full Version : Rice Cooker Suggestions

msommers
11-10-2015, 11:03 PM
So I went into T&T today and saw there was half an aisle full of rice cookers. I asked the stock guy what he would suggest and basically told me that because I'm white and not a "rice eating people" that I won't be able to tell the difference, but maybe I will and here's one kind of in the middle.

http://shop.panasonic.com/home-and-office/kitchen-appliances/rice-cookers/home-rice-cookers/SR-DF181.html

So we got this thing for $120, which compared to most of the stuff there I thought was a decent deal. Then I mentioned to someone else and she said that was a massive rip-off lol.

So basically we just want it for jasmine rice and brown rice occasionally. I hear some can do quinoa too which would be sweet.

Any suggestions for this (apparently) non-rice eater?

Sorath
11-10-2015, 11:05 PM
tiger brand is the best imo :dunno:

dj_rice
11-10-2015, 11:08 PM
Tiger Brand is what I have. I bought it from Costco.

I think its this one

http://www.bestbuy.ca/multimedia/products/500x500/102/10278/10278011.jpg

But most of my fobby friends have the Zojirushi brands. So pricey but they all have it so it must cook some mean rice

Amysicle
11-10-2015, 11:15 PM

BokCh0y
11-11-2015, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by dj_rice
Tiger Brand is what I have. I bought it from Costco.

I think its this one

http://www.bestbuy.ca/multimedia/products/500x500/102/10278/10278011.jpg

But most of my fobby friends have the Zojirushi brands. So pricey but they all have it so it must cook some mean rice

I'm not sire if that's the same model of Tiger rice cooker we have, but we got the Tiger rice cooker from costco too:

$139.99 (I got mine on sale for like $109.99 or something on those lines)
3 in 1 function
multi-menu rice cooker
slow cookker setting
steamer setting
10 cup dry rice capacity

A bit much to be honest, i never cook 10 cups of rice. But it's nice to have all the features for that price and the no-bullshit costco warranty. Can't go wrong.

Here's a link to costco, they have a good selction:

http://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?storeId=10302&catalogId=11201&langId=-24&refine=&keyword=rice+cooker

If the 10 cup is too much for you, get the smaller 5.5 cup :dunno:

never
11-11-2015, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by BokCh0y

I'm not sire if that's the same model of Tiger rice cooker we have, but we got the Tiger rice cooker from costco too:

$139.99 (I got mine on sale for like $109.99 or something on those lines)
3 in 1 function
multi-menu rice cooker
slow cookker setting
steamer setting
10 cup dry rice capacity

A bit much to be honest, i never cook 10 cups of rice. But it's nice to have all the features for that price and the no-bullshit costco warranty. Can't go wrong.

Here's a link to costco, they have a good selction:

http://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?storeId=10302&catalogId=11201&langId=-24&refine=&keyword=rice+cooker

If the 10 cup is too much for you, get the smaller 5.5 cup :dunno:

WTF?? You don't make rice the old fashioned way? So disappointed now.

TYMSMNY
11-11-2015, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by Sorath
tiger brand is the best imo :dunno:

Zojirushi is favored among restaurant use. Tiger is a cheaper alternative.

msommers
11-11-2015, 12:56 AM
Took your guys' suggestions and decided on this since it was on sale and reviewed well enough for this whitey.

http://www.londondrugs.com/tiger-electric-rice-cooker%2Fsteamer-5.5-cup---white---jaz-a10u/L8314676.html

dj_rice
11-11-2015, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Took your guys' suggestions and decided on this since it was on sale and reviewed well enough for this whitey.

http://www.londondrugs.com/tiger-electric-rice-cooker%2Fsteamer-5.5-cup---white---jaz-a10u/L8314676.html

We had that style rice cooker when I was growing up. So simple. :thumbsup:

jwslam
11-11-2015, 08:18 AM
I don't think Asian rice cookers are designed for brown rice? :dunno:

edit: guess I'm wrong http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/26/brown-rice-rice-cooker_n_5883360.html

chongkee_
11-11-2015, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by jwslam
I don't think Asian rice cookers are designed for brown rice? :dunno:

edit: guess I'm wrong http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/26/brown-rice-rice-cooker_n_5883360.html

Have a tiger rice cooker and our rice is 50/50 brown/white and it cooks it just fine. Just have to add a little bit more water.

NoPulp
11-11-2015, 08:31 AM
The guy at the store tells the truth :rofl:

I eat a ton of rice and the cheap little rice cook has always done the trick.

My Asian friends however have these intense machines that have a million options and play songs and shit. I'm not Asian enough for that.

ExtraSlow
11-11-2015, 08:44 AM

http://www.londondrugs.com/tiger-electric-rice-cooker%2Fsteamer-5.5-cup---white---jaz-a10u/L8314676.html I have had that exact one for years, and I really like it. Only issue is that it's started to slightly overcook the bottom layer, so it comes out a bit chewy. No big deal when i'm cooking two cups, but a real waste when I am making half a cup.

killramos
11-11-2015, 08:53 AM
I bought my first rice cooker ever yesterday as well. Black and decker for 16 dollars, on sale at Canadian tire.

The rice was perfectly cooked and it even came with a steamer basket lol

What do the 100+ dollar ones do that I am missing? Lol

jwslam
11-11-2015, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by killramos
They sing

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
it's started to slightly overcook the bottom layer
Time to make rice cooker Mac & Cheese. mmmm crispy mac and cheese :drool: :drool:

rage2
11-11-2015, 09:22 AM
It's to trick white people. :rofl:

All you need is a single cook button, which does keep warm when it's not cooking. As long as you nail how much water you need, you'll be able to make hard/soft rice, congee, anything else perfectly.

Figuring out how much water to use is the toughest part, which isn't really that tough. Throw in 2 measuring cups of rice, get the water level to "2", and you get your default standard hard texture rice. Get water level to "2.2" and you'll get soft texture rice. Get water level to 1.5 and you'll get a nice layer of burnt rice (fan jiu). Get the water level to 3 or 4 and you'll have congee.

Strider
11-11-2015, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by rage2
It's to trick white people. :rofl:

You mean the $400 Induction heated Fuzzy Logic AI Pressure rice cooker with Umami Mode (http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NP-NVC10-Induction-Pressure-1-0-Liter/dp/B009QYC60S) is a sham?

Pretty sure it's Asians that buy the high dollar rice cookers rather than white people lol

bleu
11-11-2015, 10:14 AM
I bought my first rice cooker ever yesterday as well. Black and decker for 16 dollars, on sale at Canadian tire.

I had a cheap one as well until I filled it with water and rice with no pot. (Super tired, not thinking!) I wasn't too upset about losing the $16!

Since then, the odd time I make rice, it is courtesy of Uncle Ben.

killramos
11-11-2015, 10:23 AM
:rofl:

msommers
11-11-2015, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Strider

You mean the $400 Induction heated Fuzzy Logic AI Pressure rice cooker with Umami Mode (http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NP-NVC10-Induction-Pressure-1-0-Liter/dp/B009QYC60S) is a sham?

Pretty sure it's Asians that buy the high dollar rice cookers rather than white people lol

84qfdRg7UjI

Originally posted by NoPulp
My Asian friends however have these intense machines that have a million options and play songs and shit. I'm not Asian enough for that.

----

This is what I was expecting when going to T&T. A bunch that were like $30! Then I get there and most are $200+ :rofl:

npham
11-11-2015, 11:40 AM
We've got one of those Zojirushi rice cookers, not the 400 dollar ones, but it was 2-300 bucks. The only reason we bought it, was because it does all different kinds of rice with a push of a button. It can do sushi rice, white rice, sweet/glutenous rice, etc and comes out perfect every time. No soaking rice for "X" amount of time, and then cooking it. We don't even have rice weekly, but it's nice knowing that if you do, you don't have to worry about it.

Once you get used to it, it's pretty hard going back.

msommers
11-11-2015, 11:43 AM
Which one did you go with?

ffmf
11-11-2015, 11:45 AM
http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-rice-cooker/

lint
11-11-2015, 11:47 AM
I've had a Tiger rice cooker for almost 20 years that was recently replaced with an Instant Pot. Pressure cooking rice is so fast, though you do need to figure out the water ratio since you lose no water to evap. presets for stews, soups, congee etc. hard to beat for $130

D'z Nutz
11-11-2015, 11:48 AM
84qfdRg7UjI

I fail to see how that's a desirable feature. I'm sure you can turn it off, but that's annoying.

BokCh0y
11-11-2015, 11:59 AM

Sweet!!! Can't go wrong for that price. Minimal electronics, minimal issues :D

Exactly what npham states below is why we got a fancier one. We've also used ours to make red bean dessert and blah blah.

Originally posted by npham
We've got one of those Zojirushi rice cookers, not the 400 dollar ones, but it was 2-300 bucks. The only reason we bought it, was because it does all different kinds of rice with a push of a button. It can do sushi rice, white rice, sweet/glutenous rice, etc and comes out perfect every time. No soaking rice for "X" amount of time, and then cooking it. We don't even have rice weekly, but it's nice knowing that if you do, you don't have to worry about it.

Once you get used to it, it's pretty hard going back.

Originally posted by never

WTF?? You don't make rice the old fashioned way? So disappointed now.

Come over for some flied lice and you won't be disappointed my fine feathered friend.

killramos
11-11-2015, 12:11 PM
Mine came with a little laminated card telling me how to adjust the recipe and cook time for different rices lol.

I just think this thread is a hilarious coincidence.

lilmira
11-11-2015, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by bleu

I had a cheap one as well until I filled it with water and rice with no pot. (Super tired, not thinking!) I wasn't too upset about losing the $16!

Since then, the odd time I make rice, it is courtesy of Uncle Ben.

:rofl: That's something new.

I just use a regular pot. Bring the water to boil, turn it down and wait. The amount of water part can get tricky. It varies between types. It's an experiment every time when we switch.

Xtrema
11-11-2015, 02:02 PM
I think the expensive vs cheap is all about burning the bottom. But what do I know, I had that Tiger for almost 15 years now. Never needed another one. I heard non Japanese made ones (Tiger is now mostly China/SE Asia made) don't last very long but could just be a myth.

flipstah
11-11-2015, 03:10 PM
Mine is a Panasonic with just cook. It works well.

Grains like quinoa or brown rice is just double the water lol.

flipstah
11-11-2015, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

I fail to see how that's a desirable feature. I'm sure you can turn it off, but that's annoying.

BPLrNWAsBWU

Robin Goodfellow
11-11-2015, 03:29 PM
Get one of these to cook your rice.

You can order them on the internet.

The_Penguin
11-11-2015, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by flipstah

BPLrNWAsBWU

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

One of my all time faves.

"Gang way, gotta poop" -- Bart :)

Swank
11-12-2015, 11:37 AM
I got the B&D 10-12 cup one like 10 years ago for ~$40, it either cooks or warms. Still works great for all kinds of rice and quinoa :)

nzwasp
11-12-2015, 11:47 AM
We bought an instant pot from amazon canada - designed in Canada. Its a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker sous vide machine in one. Works really well. I can have fresh white rice in 5 mins.

Maxx Mazda
11-12-2015, 12:59 PM
I have a little sunbeam that I got at the Bay or something can't remember. Works well enough but I always seem to be left with a burnt layer on the bottom? Not burnt I should say but it's just caked onto the pot. I don't know why, because the rest of the rice comes out absolutely perfect.

jwslam
11-12-2015, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp
We bought an instant pot from amazon canada - designed in Canada. Its a pressure cooker, slow cooker, rice cooker sous vide machine in one. Works really well. I can have fresh white rice in 5 mins.
Didn't know that. Maybe I should read the manual lol.

taemo
02-06-2018, 11:11 AM
bumping this as I've finally decided to upgrade our rice cooker (4-cup Cuisinart)

Was originally set on getting a Zojirushi NS-ZCC18 or NP-HCC10XH but was unsure if the price was worth it so for now we are going with the Tiger JNP-S15U-HU, could always return it we change our mind.

Anyone with experience with this Tiger model?
Main reason I went for this is that it is made in Japan but I'm wondering if the Zojirushi makes better rice.
Will be cooking mostly brown and short grain white rice.

Strider
02-06-2018, 11:44 AM
bumping this as I've finally decided to upgrade our rice cooker (4-cup Cuisinart)

Was originally set on getting a Zojirushi NS-ZCC18 or NP-HCC10XH but was unsure if the price was worth it so for now we are going with the Tiger JNP-S15U-HU, could always return it we change our mind.

Anyone with experience with this Tiger model?
Main reason I went for this is that it is made in Japan but I'm wondering if the Zojirushi makes better rice.
Will be cooking mostly brown and short grain white rice.
If you eat brown rice, look into the Zoji's with GABA brown rice mode.

Mitsu3000gt
02-06-2018, 12:03 PM
What about just using an Instant Pot? Most rice cooks in 10 mins. Or do the dedicated rice cookers still do a better job?

Disoblige
02-06-2018, 12:09 PM
What about just using an Instant Pot? Most rice cooks in 10 mins. Or do the dedicated rice cookers still do a better job?
The Instant Pot doesn't have a nonstick coating. So have fun trying to scrape rice out of that.
You'd have to buy a separate non-stick one.

Tiger FTW.

dj_rice
02-06-2018, 12:14 PM
h8FkbFoRCzc

I myself, have the Tiger 3 in 1, I got it at Costco. Cant justify spending that much on the fancy one even if it makes the rice tasty.

Mitsu3000gt
02-06-2018, 12:36 PM
The Instant Pot doesn't have a nonstick coating. So have fun trying to scrape rice out of that.

Tiger FTW.

Only done it a couple times but so far no rice (brown and white) has stuck to our instant pot :dunno: I wonder if they sell non-stick pots as well.

taemo
02-06-2018, 12:43 PM
If you eat brown rice, look into the Zoji's with GABA brown rice mode.
just started hearing about GABA this morning and was wondering about that, might try the tiger first if still not happy then might go with the Zoji NP-HCC10

last year we were set on buying an instant pot as it is pretty versatile (we'll probably get one eventually) but haven't found any reviews that state it makes better rice than the Zoji or Tiger.
But then we are comparing a multi-cooker vs a dedicated rice cooker.

h8FkbFoRCzc
I myself, have the Tiger 3 in 1, I got it at Costco. Cant justify spending that much on the fancy one even if it makes the rice tasty.

that's one of the videos that made me curious about the Zoji.
I take you're happy with your Tiger?

msommers
02-06-2018, 12:55 PM
Mark, getting a real rice cooker changed how I look at rice -- it's so much better. And I'm not even a rice-eating people.

GF made stovetop again one time and I could tell right away.

Adding some stock instead of straight water amps up the flavour too :thumbsup:

RX_EVOLV
02-06-2018, 01:11 PM
We've been using our Instant Pot to make white rice and it's been as good as anything we've tried before... but in less than half the time. Highly recommended.

RX_EVOLV
02-06-2018, 01:17 PM

Tiger FTW.

We have no issue w/ cleaning the rice in our Instant Pot after cooking. We just let it soak in water for ~ 5 mins and everything comes off with a standard kitchen brush.

taemo
02-06-2018, 01:19 PM
Mark, getting a real rice cooker changed how I look at rice -- it's so much better. And I'm not even a rice-eating people.

coconut rice is pretty good too.

Matt, I take yo still like your Tiger rice cooker?
I think I'm getting the same model as yours. Are you cooking brown or white rice?

dj_rice
02-06-2018, 01:36 PM
just started hearing about GABA this morning and was wondering about that, might try the tiger first if still not happy then might go with the Zoji NP-HCC10

last year we were set on buying an instant pot as it is pretty versatile (we'll probably get one eventually) but haven't found any reviews that state it makes better rice than the Zoji or Tiger.
But then we are comparing a multi-cooker vs a dedicated rice cooker.

that's one of the videos that made me curious about the Zoji.
I take you're happy with your Tiger?

I like it. Does the job and more. I've cooked congee in it as well.
http://costcocouple.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Tiger-10-cup-Rice-Cooker-Costco-2-640x480.jpg

But I've never tried rice from the Zoji before. Maybe I'm missing out

Mitsu3000gt
02-06-2018, 02:04 PM

Interesting - maybe I should look into one. My parents have one from Zojirushi and it makes phenomenal rice.

msommers
02-06-2018, 03:15 PM
Yeah at the time it was like $90 or something from London Drugs.

Mostly white rices and the odd time quinoa. I found brown rice took a really long time to cook and was kinda dry, maybe I need more water...

I also don't like brown rice that much haha

captain134
02-06-2018, 05:54 PM
+1 for Instant Pot. For rice of course but also so much more.

BokCh0y
02-06-2018, 06:36 PM
I don’t know djrice, but I have the same tiger 3 in 1 from Costco and it’s pretty slick. We use it for white, brown, grains,and congee. She may have used it to make red or green bean dessert too but i am not sure about that. We had a tiger one before that last 10+ years and is still working, we just upgraded because she wanted something that could do more. I upgrade cars, she upgrades rice cookers, cool with me.

The_Penguin
02-06-2018, 07:00 PM

Our cheap rice cooker makes great rice as long as you cook at least 2 cups, otherwise hard crunchies on the bottom.
Our Instant Pot makes a lot of good things, rice ain't one. So far I've tried about 5 times. Always really wet. 1:1 water to Jasmine rice, tried the rice setting, and various techniques other people use, so far not happy with the result. Recently bought a bag of cheap white rice to experiment with, see if I can get the technique.

jwslam
02-07-2018, 09:15 AM
Our cheap rice cooker makes great rice as long as you cook at least 2 cups, otherwise hard crunchies on the bottom.
Our Instant Pot makes a lot of good things, rice ain't one. So far I've tried about 5 times. Always really wet. 1:1 water to Jasmine rice, tried the rice setting, and various techniques other people use, so far not happy with the result. Recently bought a bag of cheap white rice to experiment with, see if I can get the technique.
I have to work on adjusting my water ratio on a lot of recipes too because there's no steam venting during pressure cooking in the instant pot.

I'm currently using an elephant brand for rice.

taemo
02-07-2018, 10:01 AM
I have to work on adjusting my water ratio on a lot of recipes too because there's no steam venting during pressure cooking in the instant pot.

I'm currently using an elephant brand for rice.

elephant brand, i think you have a zojirushi then.

sneek
02-07-2018, 10:11 AM

This. I have a proper rice cooker but I find myself just using instant pot for everything.

K3RMiTdot
02-07-2018, 12:07 PM
i got the cheapo panasonic one at walmart for $100 bucks, got really annyoing when it kept burning the bottom of the rice. So i returned it and i'm looking at this one

https://www.crateandbarrel.com/zojirushi-3-cup-rice-cooker/s194213

its tough finding a smaller rice cooker as I don't need much than 3 cups.

flipstah
02-07-2018, 03:54 PM
coconut rice is pretty good too.

Matt, I take yo still like your Tiger rice cooker?
I think I'm getting the same model as yours. Are you cooking brown or white rice?

Coconut rice iz da bombz. Alternatively, you can add a splash of vinegar when cooking rice. Helps balance out dishes that have a rich/fatty taste.

A working rice cooker does make a difference. You can tell that one is about to die because it doesn't regulate heat well and burns the bottom.

EDIT: If you buy a cheap Japanese rice cooker, I don't see the need to go Tiger. What am I not seeing lmao. Panasonic FTW.

HHURICANE1
02-07-2018, 04:11 PM
I've had the cheap B&D and now have a Zojiruchi https://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-NS-LGC05XB-Cooker-Warmer-Stainless/dp/B01EVHWNVG/ref=dp_ob_image_kitchen . No comparison, the Zoji blows the B&D out of the water. Worth every penny as far as I am concerned. Never scorched the bottom. So nice to set it up in the AM and have the rice ready when I get home.

bigboom
02-07-2018, 04:33 PM

Instant pots work as rice cooker but they are definitely not as refined. My rice cooker shit the bed last year and I've been using our instant pot to do rice but you need to adjust the water levels and cooking time. Even then the product comes isn't as good as a rice cooker, the bottom always comes out a little mushier unless you over cook it a little bit after letting the steam out.

taemo
02-07-2018, 04:36 PM
Coconut rice iz da bombz. Alternatively, you can add a splash of vinegar when cooking rice. Helps balance out dishes that have a rich/fatty taste.

A working rice cooker does make a difference. You can tell that one is about to die because it doesn't regulate heat well and burns the bottom.

EDIT: If you buy a cheap Japanese rice cooker, I don't see the need to go Tiger. What am I not seeing lmao. Panasonic FTW.

you're going to Japan in a couple of months right?
care to smuggle some Zojirushi back to Canada? haha

I've had the cheap B&D and now have a Zojiruchi https://www.amazon.ca/Zojirushi-NS-LGC05XB-Cooker-Warmer-Stainless/dp/B01EVHWNVG/ref=dp_ob_image_kitchen . No comparison, the Zoji blows the B&D out of the water. Worth every penny as far as I am concerned. Never scorched the bottom. So nice to set it up in the AM and have the rice ready when I get home.

thanks for the link, I just ordered the Zojirushi NS-YAC10 from it.
The Tiger cooker is arriving tomorrow but I will be returning it.
I rushed the Zojirushi for an extra 4$ and should be here on Friday.
Cant wait to try GABA and Umami :rofl:

know1edge
02-07-2018, 06:35 PM

flipstah
02-08-2018, 12:32 AM
I'm now a rice cooker mule for taemo

taemo
02-08-2018, 10:51 AM
I'm now a rice cooker mule for taemo

actually scratch that, looks like the text on the cooker are in japanese :rofl:
http://www.yodobashi.com/product/100000001003606413/
http://image.yodobashi.com/product/100/000/001/003/781/724/100000001003781724_10204.jpg

flipstah
02-08-2018, 11:29 AM
There are probably some gaijin-friendly cookers. I'll see.

suntan
02-08-2018, 12:04 PM
I have a Zojirushi. Bought off of Amazon when they had a crazy sale on them years ago. It gives you the final 10% of the awesomeness curve. A Tiger, National or Panasonic work almost as well.

dj_rice
02-08-2018, 03:29 PM
I kinda miss the burnt crunchy rice layer from the older one-click Tiger rice cookers from back in the days. Grab a lil peanut butter, good eats. Or even some soy sauce.

taemo
02-12-2018, 01:42 PM
Received both Tiger and Zoji on Friday, did a 1-cup test of white rice on the Tiger and turned out great, nice texture and no burnt/sticky rice on the bottom.
Next was the Zoji and cooked a 2-cup of GABA brown rice. Took over 3 hours (we left for some errands anyway) and arrived just in time for the rice to be ready. again nice rice texture and flavor, nothing burnt or sticking on the bottom.

All in all, I've decided to keep the Zoji as I can cook rice in more different ways than the Tiger, will be giving the Umami setting next.
I also noticed that the same Zoji I bought (NS-YAC10) is on sale in T&T for 50$ cheaper until Feb 16 :banghead:

msommers
02-12-2018, 01:48 PM
$225 at T&T?

Damn 3 hours for rice? I assume it must have some timer/clock on it?

taemo
02-12-2018, 02:02 PM
$225 at T&T?

Damn 3 hours for rice? I assume it must have some timer/clock on it?

yup around 225$.
3 hours was the GABA brown rice which basically warms the brown rice for around 2 hours then actually cooks it afterwards.
Otherwise 30-40min for typical brown or white rice.

flipstah
02-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Fuck brown rice. I ain't got time for dat.

taemo
02-12-2018, 02:29 PM
Fuck brown rice. I ain't got time for dat.

you can set the Zoji on a timer so that when you get home it's freshly cooked too, hoping to try this feature later this week.

dj_rice
02-12-2018, 02:49 PM
I've always wondered how the texture is of rice that sits in the water all day long till the timer you set cooks it. Doesn't it adsorb so much of the water and then become mushy once cooked?

taemo
02-12-2018, 03:35 PM
I've always wondered how the texture is of rice that sits in the water all day long till the timer you set cooks it. Doesn't it adsorb so much of the water and then become mushy once cooked?

I find that it cooks rice more evenly, this is more noticeable with brown or multi-grain rice, or short or medium grain rice in general.
The Umami setting from what I read basically soaks or cook the rice longer than typical white rice.
Will let you know how that taste later this week.

Has anyone tried cooking rice with dashi stock by any chance?

dj_rice
02-12-2018, 04:27 PM
I find that it cooks rice more evenly, this is more noticeable with brown or multi-grain rice, or short or medium grain rice in general.
The Umami setting from what I read basically soaks or cook the rice longer than typical white rice.
Will let you know how that taste later this week.

Has anyone tried cooking rice with dashi stock by any chance?

Never tried seasoned stock before, but I have tried throwing in a a couple tomatos after seeing a Youtube video. Flavored rice is da bomb. Makes sense using flavored stock = flavorful rice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EgO8AoMUos