PDA

View Full Version : Educate Me on Tonneau Covers

94boosted
11-24-2015, 02:07 PM
Please pardon the newb questions. Looking for a Tonneau cover for the new truck and as I want security I think I'm down to either a hard tri-folding one or a rollup. What are the pro’s & con’s to each? What do people think of the Tonno Pro brand hard Tonneau covers? The pricing is substantially cheaper than the rest <$600 shipped (https://www.partsengine.ca/c-168-hard-tri-fold.aspx). Can't tell if it can be locked in the upright position from the description & pictures. It’s not a work truck so it will be used infrequently.

Also InRich I was thinking of this being the start of a group buy?

dr_jared88
11-24-2015, 02:24 PM
I have a Tonno Pro soft tri-fold that I ordered from Costco. They go on sale occasionally.

It is certainly the cheapest cover I found and I love mine. That said the more expensive ones do look better and usually have heavier duty locking mechanisms. I haven't had an issue with mine although its not something I open and close on a regular basis.

dirtsniffer
11-24-2015, 02:34 PM
I have the undercover flex. Haven't traveled with it in the up position yet but I would recommend it based on my 3 weeks of experience.

spike98
11-24-2015, 02:34 PM
I have a Bakflip F1 on my Ram. It has all the features i need plus its durable as heck. I can stand on it and i am 200lbs.

94boosted
11-24-2015, 02:53 PM
I guess my question would be is something like the Undercover Flex or Bakflip $300-500 better than the Tonno Pro's :dunno:

dirtsniffer
11-24-2015, 03:03 PM
One thing I like about the undercover is that it sits flush with the bed. I'm not a big fan of the look when they stick up inches over the side. Personal preference though.

InRich
11-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Boosted Im going down Auto truck depot to get some retractable running boards and a cover for the bed, wanna meet up and go together? I got a referral there from Jarad and it will be a hook up, he'll educate us both when we get there. PM me your phone number i'll txt you.

andyg16
11-24-2015, 03:13 PM
I've got the extang hard tri-fold cover with the sealing kit. It's a great cover, durable and can be completely removed in less than 1 minute. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't fit flush with the box.

s_havinga
11-24-2015, 03:15 PM
Whatever you do, buy one with the 3rd flip (up against the back window). If you ever need to load a bike/quad/couch/ anything tall and long you'll need it. My old truck had only two folds and it was annoying as I had to remove it anytime I wanted to move something big. The new truck has 3rd flip and I haven't removed it since I bought the cover 1.5 years ago.

94boosted
11-24-2015, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
One thing I like about the undercover is that it sits flush with the bed. I'm not a big fan of the look when they stick up inches over the side. Personal preference though.

Never thought of that but now that you mention it it's a great point, it would look much better flush.

Originally posted by InRich
Boosted Im going down Auto truck depot to get some retractable running boards and a cover for the bed, wanna meet up and go together? I got a referral there from Jarad and it will be a hook up, he'll educate us both when we get there. PM me your phone number i'll txt you.

PM sent, lets get some #'s and see if we can get a group buy going.

Originally posted by s_havinga
Whatever you do, buy one with the 3rd flip (up against the back window). If you ever need to load a bike/quad/couch/ anything tall and long you'll need it. My old truck had only two folds and it was annoying as I had to remove it anytime I wanted to move something big. The new truck has 3rd flip and I haven't removed it since I bought the cover 1.5 years ago.

Another good point.

OU812
11-24-2015, 04:08 PM
FWIW when I went through this the best prices by far were at Raven.

I went one piece. I like the security they provide better.

Like mentioned above it is all personal preference.

spike98
11-24-2015, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by OU812
FWIW when I went through this the best prices by far were at Raven.

I went one piece. I like the security they provide better.

Like mentioned above it is all personal preference.

Speaking of security, it depends on if you have an OEM tailgate lock or not.

In fact, the flip type i would argue are more secure as they have to be opened from the inside so the tail gate needs to be open for access. If you have a locking tailgate (bonus for electric) it is a lot harder to forget to lock it.

spikerS
11-24-2015, 04:58 PM
if you can, get a hard one.

I have seen too many friends come out of their house to find that someone put a knife through a soft one to see what is in the box.

and yes, mine folds into thirds, but rests on the last third. If I had to do it all over again, i would get one that would rest vertically against the back of the cab.

additionally, I don't think I could ever buy another truck and not put one on it.

roopi
11-24-2015, 05:27 PM
Just an FYI these are not that secure. It's just a deterrent. If someone really wants to get into the back and knows how the tri-fold ones work it can be done with a coathanger in a few seconds.

I recommend the tri fold such as bakflip as well. As long as it goes up against the back window as mentioned.

CompletelyNumb
11-24-2015, 06:14 PM
BakFlip all the way. Ford makes a knock off version that's just as good for a couple hundred less.

They are hard, durable, fold against the cab, sit flush. I've seen dozens of types in person, nothing beats them.

The "cheap" trifolds are usually an all in one system where the folder cover rests on the box and clamps itself to the rails, then unfolds. The good trifolds have separate rails that are clamped to the box prior and then the cover is bolted to those rails.

revelations
11-24-2015, 06:28 PM
I had a simple bed roll cover on my truck for years and I lived in crackhead-Vancouver. It was just velcro and the crackheads would lift it a bit to see inside, never issues with knife cutting etc.

Keeping $$$ of tools in the truck while parked on a street overnight is asking for theft anyway, IMO.

NoPulp
11-24-2015, 06:43 PM
I would not recommend a roll or velcro or snap one. On my current truck and the one before I've had the inexpensive 3 fold. Very easy to use. They stick up a bit but it's not the end of the world. They're not ultra secure, someone could cut into it if they really wanted. Well worth the money though as they always go on sale.

I've never had the third flip up against the window. Usually you're planning ahead of time to haul something. Though I did have to run out to pick up a massive crate and needed to remove it. What size is your box? My current truck has a 5.5 box and the cover does not fit nicely in the box when removed. My old truck had a 6 and it worked awesome to remove and slide on the side.

OU812
11-24-2015, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by spike98

Speaking of security, it depends on if you have an OEM tailgate lock or not.

In fact, the flip type i would argue are more secure as they have to be opened from the inside so the tail gate needs to be open for access. If you have a locking tailgate (bonus for electric) it is a lot harder to forget to lock it.

Thats where the one pc is actullay better. They usuaally extend over top of the tailgate as well meaning there is no way to remove the tailgate.

I have seen a few trifolds where they have wedged a prybar between the cover and used the tailgate to pry off.

The only thing thats sucks is the fact you have to pull it off at times depending on load etc.

Another pro is that they are weather tight never have a wet box. I know some trifolds actually come with drain tubes etc to assist with "limiting" the liquad that creeps in.

Again all personal preference.

OTown
11-24-2015, 07:20 PM

This is what I prefer as well. Looks flush, clean, and is still very much useful.

I have the Undercover Flex and absolutely love it. No issues with it whatsoever so far, works like a charm, and reasonably protects the goods inside the box (no tonneau cover will protect it 100% unless you get the huge fibreglass ones).

I got my tonneau cover bought/installed from the Auto Truck Depot located on 42 Ave near Macleod Tr. http://autotruckdepot.ca/

They have 'miniature models' in their showroom if you want to check out the differences between the products. To me the undercover is actually better than the Bakflip, and for less. But thats just my opinion

Kavy
11-25-2015, 12:26 AM
I have bought my last 3 from partsengine.ca and have zero complaints

Normally arrive in about 2-3 days and "have been" about $200 less then the same covers local.

I have to mirror whats been said. Go with a multifold hard top, I personally got the Backflip G2 on all 3 because of the window fold flat for loading drywall, quads and large items as well as the fact that I could stand on the cover with zero issues.

codetrap
11-25-2015, 12:38 AM

Aleks
11-25-2015, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by andyg16
I've got the extang hard tri-fold cover with the sealing kit. It's a great cover, durable and can be completely removed in less than 1 minute. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't fit flush with the box.

I have this one too. It's really strong. I can stand on it. Mine sits pretty flush but it's not 100% water proof. I have a few drops in the box after a wash. Norman snow and rain is fine. One thing I found is that it freezes to the tailgate in the winter when it's really cold out.

s_havinga
11-25-2015, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by OTown

This is what I prefer as well. Looks flush, clean, and is still very much useful.

I have the Undercover Flex and absolutely love it. No issues with it whatsoever so far, works like a charm, and reasonably protects the goods inside the box (no tonneau cover will protect it 100% unless you get the huge fibreglass ones).

I got my tonneau cover bought/installed from the Auto Truck Depot located on 42 Ave near Macleod Tr. http://autotruckdepot.ca/

They have 'miniature models' in their showroom if you want to check out the differences between the products. To me the undercover is actually better than the Bakflip, and for less. But thats just my opinion

The only thing I liked about my first one (that sat on the box) was that it allowed that extra inch of clearance, we use a lot of totes when we go camping, some of the big ones that used to fit in my old truck don't any more. Not a huge issue, just had to buy new totes. I cant say the "not flush" look ever bugged me, but thinking about it now, the flush does look better.

94boosted
11-25-2015, 09:56 AM
Looks like a lot of love for the Undercover Flex.

codetrap
11-28-2015, 10:53 AM

94boosted
11-29-2015, 05:43 PM
InRich and I ended up going to see Tom @ Auto Truck Depot and he gave us a great deal on covers. InRich went with the BAK Revolver X2 and I went with the Undercover Flex. Install was a breeze and it does really look good.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/IMG_0920_zpsyrlkpyw4.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/IMG_0923_zpsulo0kavw.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/IMG_0929_zpsxhuhabou.jpg

OTown
11-29-2015, 08:56 PM
Great choice! Looking good. The guys at Auto Truck Depot are awesome to deal with

B69
11-29-2015, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by 94boosted
InRich and I ended up going to see Tom @ Auto Truck Depot and he gave us a great deal on covers. InRich went with the BAK Revolver X2 and I went with the Undercover Flex. Install was a breeze and it does really look good.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/IMG_0920_zpsyrlkpyw4.jpg

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j174/94boosted/IMG_0929_zpsxhuhabou.jpg

How much was it for the cover?

94boosted
11-29-2015, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by B69

How much was it for the cover?

$915, most places sell it for $1060ish

InRich
11-29-2015, 10:52 PM

$915, most places sell it for $1060ish

Dont forget the best part! You got to meet the infamous INRICH! :thumbsup: lol

Bladeh
12-01-2015, 11:55 AM
I ordered a Tonno Pro lo roll from Parts Engine, came in about 3-4 days but they didn't include the utility track brackets as I have the Pro 4x rail system, says on the box it was included and when I contacted them they had to order me some in special order, which took 3 weeks. I got 4 brackets a couple of weeks later in the post, didn't fit right so I sent the whole thing back to Parts Engine and got a refund by cheque even though I paid by visa. (I had to pay $30 to ship it back)

I ordered a BakFlip G2 for a touch over $800 from the automotive parts guy here at the college.

never
12-01-2015, 03:26 PM

Looks good but you need to start hauling shit...that bed is WAY too clean!

never
12-01-2015, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by OU812

...never have a wet box...

You're missing out.

94boosted
12-02-2015, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by never

Looks good but you need to start hauling shit...that bed is WAY too clean!

haha the first thing (and only thing so far) I hauled was the tonneau cover in it's box, I was so proud of myself using the truck for truck stuff :rofl: But really it's only got 400km on it give me a break haha

dirtsniffer
12-02-2015, 10:50 AM
Where did you get the bed liner? I know you mentioned it somewhere but I couldn't find it.

94boosted
12-02-2015, 11:26 AM
^ I went to Tyro Coatings off of Deerfoot & McNight, I got their silver (40lbs of Polyurethane) liner. Website says $650 but if you call I'm sure you can get a better price than that. I thought they did good work, no overspray (that I can see) and they did a good job masking everything off.

http://www.tyrocoatings.com/

codetrap
12-06-2015, 10:12 AM

Maxt
12-06-2015, 11:07 AM
I use to have a RollnLock on my old cummins, I had to keep a propane torch behind the seat to thaw it in winter, any kind of ice build up rendered it useless.

dirtsniffer
12-06-2015, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
So, with the undercover.. if you're gonna lean it against the truck, there are 3 little screw heads on the cover. You might want to put some rubber pads over them to prevent them from marking the truck.

There are some members that secure the cover upright but not leaning against the truck right?

codetrap
12-06-2015, 11:38 AM

16hypen3sp
12-06-2015, 12:18 PM
I'm going with the Cap-it F-Type Cover.

Exact same as the BakFlip flagship F1 model but better warranty.

http://cap-it.com/products-by-type/tonneau-covers/cap-it-premium-solid-fold/cap-it-truck-cover

never
12-06-2015, 01:15 PM

haha the first thing (and only thing so far) I hauled was the tonneau cover in it's box, I was so proud of myself using the truck for truck stuff :rofl: But really it's only got 400km on it give me a break haha

I'll check back in a few thousand km then!

94boosted
12-07-2015, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by codetrap
So, with the undercover.. if you're gonna lean it against the truck, there are 3 little screw heads on the cover. You might want to put some rubber pads over them to prevent them from marking the truck.

On my truck I find in the flipped up position the only thing it contacts is the high center mount brake light. I put a couple of the rubber pads on the cover in that spot and nothing comes even close to touching the painted areas.

redline
12-07-2015, 07:31 PM
I would be interested to know from you guys that have these things if they are flipped up most of the time or you leave the box covered most of the time....

When I camp my gen set goes in the box which is taller then the box so it would need to be flipped or ... Or hauling bikes ... I want one on one hand but I think I would not use it much ....

SkiBum5.0
12-07-2015, 07:35 PM
It's covered 95% of the time.

Only flipped up when hauling something as the covers obscures the rear view.

94boosted
12-07-2015, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by redline
I would be interested to know from you guys that have these things if they are flipped up most of the time or you leave the box covered most of the time....

When I camp my gen set goes in the box which is taller then the box so it would need to be flipped or ... Or hauling bikes ... I want one on one hand but I think I would not use it much ....

From what I've learned you sound like the prime candidate for a roll up type cover :thumbsup:

ExtraSlow
12-07-2015, 10:14 PM
Or a real topper. I'm selling one . . .

16hypen3sp
01-03-2016, 02:23 PM
I did end up with a Cap-it F-Type T. Cover. (BakFlip F1)

So far it's great. Perfect fit, easy peasy install, great to use.

Overall, really nice.

Clever
07-15-2016, 10:14 PM
Bump!

I went to ATD and picked up an Undercover Flex as well, for those of you that has been using it for awhile, how did it do during the winter? Any issues with opening/closing?

B20EF
07-16-2016, 08:01 AM
I had a Retraxone roll up cover on my last truck bed. It was awesome that it takes 2 seconds to close/open and didn't ever freeze up in the winter for me but I park in a garage. It was also really nice to lock at any point on the bed - so if you have some 2x4's up against he tailgate you can still slide the cover to within inches of the tailgate. That's definitely helps when hauling stuff in rainy weather or keeping loose items mostly secure on the highway.
It was pretty weak though. Mine cracked and I would be hesitant to put more than a 10 lb item on top of it. The unit also takes up a ton of space IMO. It turns a 5'5" bed into just less than 5'. That actually pissed me of a lot when hauling certain things.

r3ccOs
07-18-2016, 03:07 PM
I have had a couple... and now a bakflip HD...

Bakflip is nice in comparison to Vinyl because that it can fold completely back, but in comparison... it leaks more, is subject to hail damage and requires the tailgate to be closed first.

IMO the Vinyl one was more than adequate.

I think the Revolver X2 is the best compromise of the two.

dirtsniffer
07-19-2016, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Clever
Bump!

I went to ATD and picked up an Undercover Flex as well, for those of you that has been using it for awhile, how did it do during the winter? Any issues with opening/closing?

I park in a heated parkade so I cant really comment on ice build up over time but I did not have any issues.

Originally posted by r3ccOs
I have had a couple... and now a bakflip HD...

Bakflip is nice in comparison to Vinyl because that it can fold completely back, but in comparison... it leaks more, is subject to hail damage and requires the tailgate to be closed first.

IMO the Vinyl one was more than adequate.

I think the Revolver X2 is the best compromise of the two.

Unfortunately my truck just got $5K in hail damage. Undercover flex survived with none.

r3ccOs
07-19-2016, 09:42 AM

I park in a heated parkade so I cant really comment on ice build up over time but I did not have any issues.

Unfortunately my truck just got $5K in hail damage. Undercover flex survived with none.

very interesting... guessing the undercover flex is a better product than bakflip then?

but I like the concept of the revolver... nothing to dent, adjust to what you need and you don't have to keep lifting up the darn tailgate...

mzdspd
07-19-2016, 09:59 AM
We have 3 UC flex's at work and they all freeze up in the winter from ice, especially on the tail gate, happens mostly from washing.

If you wash the truck, flip open the cover and let the truck dry. Then after a few hours, put the cover back down and its good to go!

SOAB
07-19-2016, 10:00 AM

very interesting... guessing the undercover flex is a better product than bakflip then?

but I like the concept of the revolver... nothing to dent, adjust to what you need and you don't have to keep lifting up the darn tailgate...

I think I've settled on the Revolver X2 for my tonneau cover.

I was debating on the X2 or the MX4. they both allow you to close the tailgate without opening the cover which is pretty important to me. they both allow the tail gate to open remotely without any issues.

the big difference to me is that the MX4 covers up the whole back glass when open. I'm not sure I like that.

my concern about the X2 is longevity with the vinyl top. how long will it last? is it durable enough for our winters?

SKR
07-19-2016, 12:52 PM
I've got a Truxedo Deuce on mine. I wasn't into a soft cover, but there's no seams to let dust or water in and that was the biggest thing for me. I get a little bit of dust in around the tailgate but that's it. I bought plugs for the stake pockets too to try to keep some dirt and water out.

I don't know what it would be like if you wanted to use it half open though. It's just velcro down the sides so it might flap behind you like a cape driving down the highway if you don't roll it up all the way. I don't think that will be a problem for me, but I guess we'll see. $660 installed.

cloud7
08-06-2016, 03:58 PM
The wife wanted me to get a tonneau cover for my truck for our upcoming road trip. I was originally going to wait a bit to see if we need it since good ones are not cheap, but it seems my hand is kind of forced now. I have spent the afternoon doing some research and I think I am set on the Undercover Flex. However, there seems to be a wide range of prices listed on local retailers' websites ($999-1200). Are the retailers usually open to moving their list prices? or do you really need to know someone there in order for them to give you a better price?

spikerS
08-06-2016, 05:21 PM
hey gaiz!

So with the hail storm, I am getting a buyout on my damages, and I am looking to get a new tonneau cover. Looks like I am getting the Bakflip G2.

Best price for it that I can find is on Amazon for $1130 to my door.

Anyone know a cheaper place? Seems like a lot of money...

Clever
08-07-2016, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by cloud7
The wife wanted me to get a tonneau cover for my truck for our upcoming road trip. I was originally going to wait a bit to see if we need it since good ones are not cheap, but it seems my hand is kind of forced now. I have spent the afternoon doing some research and I think I am set on the Undercover Flex. However, there seems to be a wide range of prices listed on local retailers' websites ($999-1200). Are the retailers usually open to moving their list prices? or do you really need to know someone there in order for them to give you a better price?

Originally posted by spikerS
hey gaiz!

So with the hail storm, I am getting a buyout on my damages, and I am looking to get a new tonneau cover. Looks like I am getting the Bakflip G2.

Did you guys try Auto Truck Depot? Speak to Alex and i'm sure he can match prices. They are selling the Bakflip G2 for $1106 right now, and I paid 1025 for my Undercover Flex. Some guys have posted cheaper prices for the exact 2 tonneau covers in page 1 or 2 of this thread.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
08-07-2016, 06:25 PM
+1 for Alex at Auto Truck Depot, he's s good guy to deal with.

r3ccOs
08-07-2016, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by spikerS
hey gaiz!

its alot of money for IMO a non-water tight and hail damage prone cover... have a look at that X2 for the same price

Clever
08-07-2016, 08:36 PM

its alot of money for IMO a non-water tight and hail damage prone cover... have a look at that X2 for the same price

I decided to go with the Undercover Flex for that reason based on reviews and comments about hail damage.

Clever
08-07-2016, 09:59 PM
I'm looking into leveling kits for my truck and I just saw that Truckcessories is selling the Undercover Flex for $999.00 and the X2 for $1199.00, I've never dealt with Truckcessories before and there are some mixed reviews online, but at least it gives you a better idea for what price you should be looking at paying.

codetrap
08-07-2016, 11:03 PM

mzdspd
08-08-2016, 07:48 AM
I paid 900 installed for a flex about 2 years ago... Edmonton though at silverzinc motors.

No issues since.

SOAB
08-08-2016, 08:39 AM
after having my Revolver X2 for a few weeks, I think I made the right choice. not completely waterproof but it only lets in a little bit at the corners of the bed which is fine by me. I love the fact that I don't have to open up the cover in order to open or close my tailgate. and my remote tailgate release still works great!

jonnycat
08-12-2016, 10:37 PM
I went with the x2 revolver hard roll up too. It seemed the least likely to piss me off in the open configuration. So far no complaints, while as SOAB mentioned not water tite, but in a heavy downpour on the highway just a bit of water, not enough to make me move my suitcases though

spikerS
08-12-2016, 10:54 PM
Well, huge shout out to Bob at Urban X. Hooked me up with a brand new Bakflip G2 for a way better price than anyone could touch, including Amazon.

It's not a normal stock item for him, but it only took a day to get it...