PDA

View Full Version : Lewis Hamilton in NASCAR

speedog
11-28-2015, 09:55 AM
Lewis Hamilton in NASCAR - stories are circulating as to Hamilton's interest in NASCAR but I just don't see it happening. Maybe as a couple of NASCAR road course races as a ringer but that practice of teams using a different driver for road courses has pretty much disappeared as well. There have been very few drivers who have successfully transitioned in either direction between open wheel cars and NASCAR - Andretti and Montoya come to mind but neither of them found much success in NASCAR..

Two entirely different forms of racing and it would difficult to say whom might be able to transition and be successful in either - possibly Jeff Gordon or Tony Stewart in their prime maybe but that would be hopeful at best IMHO.. Can't comment on F1 drivers because I just haven't followed those drivers closely enough over the years/decades.

Cos
11-28-2015, 10:15 AM
Can't see why he would. Not like he is struggling in F1 and he doesn't live in the USA. He lives in Monaco.

speedog
11-28-2015, 10:31 AM
I don't think this would be about struggling or financial issues but more of a case of something that Hamilton sees as a challenge. Why would Tony Stewart move on to new racing series after having won championships in other series, the guy has won championships in five different racing series and three of those racing series are vastly different in the challenges they present to a driver.

Then again, maybe, just maybe, Hamilton just wants to have some fun banging some fenders and bumpers.

Cos
11-28-2015, 11:32 AM

Xtrema
11-28-2015, 11:52 AM
Less prestige and less money. Why would anyone make that move unless their F1 career is over?

revelations
11-28-2015, 12:06 PM
Ask Kimi how well that turned out .... :rofl:

01RedDX
11-28-2015, 12:56 PM

speedog
11-28-2015, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Cos
I would expect Hamilton in something like Porsche cup or leman before Nascar or indy. However it isn't like I know the guy. Any links to these rumors?
Just google 'Hamilton NASCAR' and you'll find a number of news reports, not rumours.

Montoya is one that left F1 for NASCAR - why? Was his career done in F1 or were there other reasons perhaps?

speedog
11-28-2015, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
It's like Tony Romo going to the CFL for the "challenge."
Understood, but Hamilton did make the comment so he must have some reason to want to try NASCAR out. I'm not going to bash the NFL or CFL because I enjoy watching both of them, different games, different strategies kind of like F1 and NASCAR. So let's not beat up on one form of auto racing or the other, instead focus on what might spur Hamilton to ponder doing such a thing.

01RedDX
11-28-2015, 01:48 PM

OTown
11-28-2015, 02:25 PM
Didnt Jacques Villeneuve go into Nascar after his F1 stint?

speedog
11-28-2015, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by OTown
Didnt Jacques Villeneuve go into Nascar after his F1 stint?
Not directly, there was a leMans stint in between and he never won a race in any NASCAR series.

03ozwhip
11-28-2015, 04:06 PM
Mmmm hmmmm

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s5/cory_mr2/TN2lrg_zpsxlsxgbhb.jpg (http://s148.photobucket.com/user/cory_mr2/media/TN2lrg_zpsxlsxgbhb.jpg.html)

ExtraSlow
11-28-2015, 04:56 PM
Also Juan Pablo Montoya