PDA

View Full Version : Non-stick pan really isn't. Shit sticks all the time.

Pages : [1] 2

ExtraSlow
12-07-2015, 02:10 PM
So, for my daily cooking, I prefer to use a non-stick pan.

So, a couple of boxing days ago, I bought myself two very nice looking Henkels Non-stick frying pans. I am pretty sure these are the "VistaClad" line, although that's not written on them anywhere, and I don't have any of the packaging. They are heavy and feel really well made. I am careful using these, and don't use metal utensils, and only "non-stick safe" scrubbing sponges. Never been put in the dishwasher.

Now, the problem is that stuff DOES stick to them. the problem was apparently right away, although it seems to be getting worse. Frying eggs, chicken or pork, I'm 100% guaranteed to have the food stick to the pan. Worst of all, they are really hard to clean. This doesn't make sense to me. There are little bits of black stuff that seem to have embedded in the "pores" of the surface. no amount of scrubbing will take them off.

Looks like this:
https://farm1.staticflickr.com/633/23483281502_413ed7a08f_k.jpg

I've started using more oil or butter in my cooking, but that seems like a poor solution, and it has only reduced the problem, not eliminated it.

I've had cheap pans that were extremely non-stick and easy to clean, although I find that the cheaper wal-mart type don't last more than a few years.

Thoughts?

jwslam
12-07-2015, 02:27 PM
Do you season them ever? (no clue about these 'ceramic' ones you have.

Lots of good reviews on Heritage "The Rock" pans for your next one.

revelations
12-07-2015, 02:31 PM
I mostly gave up on these pans UNLESS i am doing something low temperature like crepes (which dont stick).

Otherwise, its stainless steel all the way.

That and less heated plastic gases has to be better overall.

Neil4Speed
12-07-2015, 02:41 PM
I've never had any problems with my T-Fal Non-Sticks (Canadian Tire special). I have one that I have used for the past two years and only recently I've been having issues with sticking, I just use a quick spray of avocado oil and its all good :)

sputnik
12-07-2015, 02:45 PM
Those ceramic non-stick pans are garbage.

My wife bought one and it was only a matter of weeks before we tossed it.

roopi
12-07-2015, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I've never had any problems with my T-Fal Non-Sticks (Canadian Tire special). I have one that I have used for the past two years and only recently I've been having issues with sticking, I just use a quick spray of avocado oil and its all good :)

These are the only ones that ever seem to work for me too. :thumbsup:

killramos
12-07-2015, 03:08 PM
Man the old school style black Teflons are where its at for real non stick. The only thing that actually works.

That being said. Use more oil i guess. At least oil tastes good lol.

I got a set of the lagostina ravenas as a wedding present which are this style and I love them.

I still have my old T fal on a top shelf just in case. Canadian tire special as well lol.

CompletelyNumb
12-07-2015, 03:26 PM
All my non-sticks are tfal, no issues whatsoever with food sticking.

theken
12-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Go to a cast iron and you'll never regret it. Just take care of it

dirtsniffer
12-07-2015, 03:29 PM
I use the generic Williams Sonoma brand no stick pans for things like eggs
SS or cast iron for everything else. Sorry OP, I'm not very helpful.

kaput
12-07-2015, 03:49 PM

carson blocks
12-07-2015, 03:57 PM
I've got a few of the T-Fal pans from Canadian Tire (they're always on sale for 50-75% off, so don't buy at full price). I can't cook worth a shit and have destroyed all my other non-stick cookware (sometimes on the first try), but the T-Fals are holding up for 2 years of abuse now and still look new. Look for the ones with the really thick base and the temperature dot.

SportEL
12-07-2015, 03:58 PM
I have the exact same Henckels Stainless Steel pan with the Ceramic coating. It is awful now. I've only had it a few months, but it sticks so bad. What a waste of money. I thought I'd pay good money for a nice pan but it began sticking after a few uses. Maybe ceramic coatings aren't that great for non-stick? I got this pan because Teflon coating will eventualy peel off and also releases PFOA which has long-term health concerns.

suntan
12-07-2015, 04:02 PM
The ceramic pans are shit. Total scam.

BerserkerCatSplat
12-07-2015, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

We have had a couple of those ones for ages, they are great and pretty darn cheap at CT.

Shax
12-07-2015, 04:10 PM
I used to go through a couple non-sticks a year until I switched to pans with Dupont (Chemours) Teflon Professional coatings on them. One of my chef friends recommended the line to me after I told her about burning through non sticks.

I have no idea how they did it but that stuff is pure magic. By far the best coating I have ever used. Still going strong after 3 years and dishwasher only usage. I have also tried the Teflon Platinum Plus coating and found it to be good but not as long lived (died after 2 years).

Hunting around for pans with these coatings is tough, Ikea does carry a relatively cheap line with them though! I know TFal has a couple offerings with the coating as well.

Amysicle
12-07-2015, 04:25 PM

The_Rural_Juror
12-07-2015, 04:59 PM
My All-Clads have lasted the longest with my pans still working really well after almost 3 years. Le Creuset is pretty good as well.

The rest of the brands that I have used were crappy and things start sticking to them in under a year.

FixedGear
12-07-2015, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed

The T-FAL Professional has been highest rated in several non-stick comparisons on America's Test Kitchen (yea I watched almost a whole season on Netflux haha)

'93 SR-V
12-07-2015, 09:57 PM
I have that exact pan and the exact same problem... The thing was great for the first bit and then quickly went to shit. As mentioned above you need to be careful with your oil selection....something I only figured out after i started trying to figure out why the pan was sucking. I used it to sear short ribs once. The combination of crap oil and high heat super f'd it. It's dissaponting because it wasn't cheap.

I've gone back to my stainless steel pans mostly. Frankly the stainless is easier to clean, at least I can just give it hell when the food sticks vs trying to baby the finish while still trying to remove stuck on food. I just keep a run of the mill Teflon pan for eggs and the like. I'm better off replacing a $20ish pan every few years vs a $100+ pan just as often!

black300
12-08-2015, 08:26 AM
T-FAL ones have been working great for me as well.

Canadian Tire special lol

sputnik
12-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by theken

Unless you have a Ceran/glass non-induction stove. Then you will destroy your stove top.

Seth1968
12-08-2015, 09:19 AM
For those concerned about toxins being released from the Teflon pans:

1) Seriously?

2) Don't tell the NDP

EDIT: 1) There's still some bridges for sale.

Mitsu3000gt
12-08-2015, 09:48 AM
I too have the $9.99 Canadian Tire T-Fal pans and they are great. Best omelet pan I've ever used, and after a couple years now it still looks as-new and nothing ever sticks to it. I can wash it with pressured water from my tap and everything just slides off. If it ever starts wearing out, I'll just go get a new one.

Hopefully I'm not burning any poison into my food though...

carson blocks
12-08-2015, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Unless you have a Ceran/glass non-induction stove. Then you will destroy your stove top.

I didn't know this. What is the problem with glass cooktops and cast iron?

suntan
12-08-2015, 10:48 AM
WS has cookware on sale for 45% off today. Mention that you got the email for an additional 20% off.

The WS house brand is very good. AC is always the best of course.

Get Staub if you're feeling baller.

jwslam
12-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by carson blocks
I didn't know this. What is the problem with glass cooktops and cast iron?
Scratches to hell. Also if you put it down too hard...

dirtsniffer
12-08-2015, 11:52 AM
enamelled cast iron for the win.

sputnik
12-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
enamelled cast iron for the win.

Who makes enameled cast iron pans?

Amysicle
12-08-2015, 01:26 PM

tenth
01-07-2016, 05:06 PM
I just did a ton of research on pans, replacing ours at Christmas.

Non-stick - Pick-up the cheap t-fal's and replace them every 1-3 years. Calphalon at Williams Sonoma/Bed Bath and Beyond/Crate and Barrel is well reviewed and was recommended to me by a chef. Anolon Nouvelle Copper at Canadian Tire is another well-reviewed option.

Cast Iron - If you're okay doing some maintenance to season them, Lodge is the way to go, and crazy cheap. For lower maintenance, and slightly lower performing in regards to stick, the Le-Creuset enameled cast iron seems to be the way to go.

Stainless - All-clad.

Through a series of sales and promotions, I picked-up All-clad stainless and Staub enameled cast-iron pans from shop.ca. It seems like both should be for life purchases. Picked up cheap non-stick pans for eggs, but we're trying to move away from them as much as possible, given they're short-lifed and disposable.

chathamf
01-07-2016, 05:13 PM
We have switched to all cast iron. Not the enameled kind just regular old fashion cast. It's cheap and will last us forever. It takes a little bit of maintenance, but I don't mind it at all. Love them. I do still have a T-Fal pan for eggs, but pretty much everything else we use the cast. Even have a large pizza pan.

It's nice knowing that we will literally never have to buy pans again, and that when we are old and grey we will have the same stuff we were cooking with when we were young. Well..when we are old and grey I guess we will have to pass it on to the kids because the shits heavy as hell - the wife will not be lifting that in her 60s. Haha.

Xtrema
01-07-2016, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Seth1968

1) Seriously?

2) Don't tell the NDP

I don't worry about the chemical being released.

I am more worried about wear and tear and coating flakes off. I usually go thru one whenever there is sign of scratches. Usually that's about 4-6 month of use.

I use little to no oil cooking, so that may be why I tend to get more scratches.

Yeah, Canadian Tire as well, usually load up 3-4 whenever they have 70% off.

theken
01-07-2016, 09:10 PM
I do my eggs in my cast, i just spray a little cooking spray down and low low heat them, I like mine sunny side, with no crispy bottom so this way works perfect for me

flipstah
01-07-2016, 09:25 PM
Make your own and season a cast iron pan/wok.

WhippWhapp
01-08-2016, 02:08 AM
All clad stainless- bring pan to right temp(a bead of water should dance around the pan), add oil, then food... food doesn't stick.

People make the mistake of having the pan too cold or hot or adding food to hot oil.

Hot pan/cold oil= no stick. :dunno:

ZenOps
01-08-2016, 07:41 AM
Yup, $9.99 T-fals for me too. I also buy the supercheap fiberglass furnace filters.

Every year or so the pans get chucked, every month in the winter the furnace filters get chucked.

Sometime you spend extra money to get good quality, pans and furnace filters are better on the disposeable/recycleable side imo.

msommers
01-08-2016, 08:20 AM
Got a 12" Lodge skillet for Christmas. Says it's ready to go from the factory (ie: pre seasoned) but after using it a couple times now I have my doubts how good it is. Definitely needs more bacon cooked on it first :D

taemo
01-08-2016, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by msommers
Got a 12" Lodge skillet for Christmas. Says it's ready to go from the factory (ie: pre seasoned) but after using it a couple times now I have my doubts how good it is. Definitely needs more bacon cooked on it first :D
season it right away, although be ready for your kitchen to smell metal for a while

bought a 10" Lodge skillet as well over the Xmas holidays w/ lid for $60 on amazon, tried cooking an egg but it stuck on the pan so I immediately seasoned it afterwards, vegetable oil all over and in the oven for 1 hour at 350F.
my boss suggested using peanut oil so I might give that a try the next re-season.

Cooked me a steak few days ago and one of the best I've had
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1690/24143426062_ea9d71f957_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/CMtnqA)IMG_5532 (https://flic.kr/p/CMtnqA) by Earl Dieta (https://www.flickr.com/photos/itaemo/), on Flickr

Staying on topic, I bought this lagostina non-stick skillet back in march at the bay and have had good luck with food not sticking in it.
http://www.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/thebay/home/woks---fry-pans/ambiente-30cm-non-stick-skillet-0066-d853-0401-30--24
little bit of olive oil and then eggs sunny side up.
I also don't use soap to clean it very often either, just wipe it with paper tower and a little bit of water.

msommers
01-08-2016, 09:13 AM
Good call, Earl. Have you cooked any eggs since?

taemo
01-08-2016, 09:23 AM
Good call, Earl. Have you cooked any eggs since?

haven't yet as I prefer using my lagostina pan for it since the lodge takes forever to heat up :rofl:
but after seasoning my lodge skillet, it definitely looks and feel more coated than out of the box, might give it a try this weekend along some bacon and will let you know.

Royle9
01-08-2016, 10:25 AM
Best Pan I've found - Nothing sticks

Heritage The Rock Non-Stick Frypan, 12-in

Picked it up at C-Tire around xmas, its my go to for everything now.

suntan
01-08-2016, 11:53 AM
Got a 12" Lodge skillet for Christmas. Says it's ready to go from the factory (ie: pre seasoned) but after using it a couple times now I have my doubts how good it is. Definitely needs more bacon cooked on it first :D They say they're preseasoned but according to Cooks' Illustrated they find it's not enough seasoning, so they recommend you season it yourself too.

Seth1968
01-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
I usually go thru one whenever there is sign of scratches. Usually that's about 4-6 month of use.

I use little to no oil cooking, so that may be why I tend to get more scratches.

Scratches?

So I guess a compliment to the thread would be the type of utensils used on various pans.

ExtraSlow
01-08-2016, 12:21 PM
Prefer wood or bamboo utensils for all types of pans. Can't stand silicone, just feels weird. Have metal and plastic spatulas, but don't need them often.

Seth1968
01-08-2016, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Prefer wood or bamboo utensils for all types of pans.

Any concern of bacterial absorption and cross contamination?

sputnik
01-08-2016, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Royle9
Best Pan I've found - Nothing sticks

Heritage The Rock Non-Stick Frypan, 12-in

Picked it up at C-Tire around xmas, its my go to for everything now.

I have heard that they start to get sticky after about 6 months of use.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-08-2016, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

I have heard that they start to get sticky after about 6 months of use.

We've had ours for at least 2 years, used basically every day, no complaints about food sticking.

cdnsir
01-08-2016, 02:23 PM
My biggest gripe about non-sticks is not food sticking it's warping. From thin T-Fals to thick Calphalons, the base keeps bending so it can't sit flat.

And I'm only using it for eggs, I use stainless 98% of the time and they are still as good as new.

Might be best to buy the cheapest non-sticks and toss as needed.

msommers
01-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by suntan
They say they're preseasoned but according to Cooks' Illustrated they find it's not enough seasoning, so they recommend you season it yourself too.

Given taemo's experience as well, that sounds good.

I wonder if just using it more often or doing a couple rounds of vegetable oil + baking would expedite the process.

This might be a stupid question regarding cast iron but I'll ask anyways since I'm curious lol.....

Once a cast iron skillet gets seasoned really well, do I need to keep adding oil/butter while cooking? Or does it ever reach a point where it's no longer required?

redsrt4
01-08-2016, 03:21 PM
Saladmaster ftw

suntan
01-08-2016, 04:31 PM

Given taemo's experience as well, that sounds good.

I wonder if just using it more often or doing a couple rounds of vegetable oil + baking would expedite the process.

This might be a stupid question regarding cast iron but I'll ask anyways since I'm curious lol.....

Once a cast iron skillet gets seasoned really well, do I need to keep adding oil/butter while cooking? Or does it ever reach a point where it's no longer required?
With this method you may not need oil to fry eggs on it.

From Cooks Illustrated:

We'd seasoned our cast iron the same way for years. But when we heard about a new method that creates a slick surface so indestructible that touch-ups are almost never necessary, we were intrigued.

For years we’ve seasoned cast-iron cookware in the test kitchen by placing it over medium heat and wiping out the pan with coats of vegetable oil until its surface turns dark and shiny. When a pan starts to look patchy, we simply repeat the process. But when we heard about a new method that creates a slick surface so indestructible that touch-ups are almost never necessary, we were intrigued. Developed by blogger Sheryl Canter, the approach calls for treating the pan with multiple coats of flaxseed oil between hour-long stints in the oven.

We carried out Canter’s approach on new, unseasoned cast-iron skillets and compared them with pans treated with vegetable oil—and the results amazed us. The flaxseed oil so effectively bonded to the skillets, forming a sheer, stick-resistant veneer, that even a run through our commercial dishwasher with a squirt of degreaser left them totally unscathed. But the vegetable oil-treated skillets showed rusty spots and patchiness when they emerged from the dishwasher, requiring reseasoning before use.

Why did the new treatment work so well? Flaxseed oil is the food-grade equivalent of linseed oil, used by artists to give their paintings a hard, polished finish, and it boasts six times the amount of omega-3 fatty acids as vegetable oil. Over prolonged exposure to high heat, these fatty acids combine to form a strong, solid matrix that polymerizes to the pan’s surface.

Although lengthy, seasoning with flaxseed oil is a mainly hands-off undertaking. We highly recommend the treatment:

1. Warm an unseasoned pan (either new or stripped of seasoning*) for 15 minutes in a 200-degree oven to open its pores.

2. Remove the pan from the oven. Place 1 tablespoon flaxseed oil in the pan and, using tongs, rub the oil into the surface with paper towels. With fresh paper towels, thoroughly wipe out the pan to remove excess oil.

3. Place the oiled pan upside down in a cold oven, then set the oven to its maximum baking temperature. Once the oven reaches its maximum temperature, heat the pan for one hour. Turn off the oven; cool the pan in the oven for at least two hours.

4. Repeat the process five more times, or until the pan develops a dark, semi-matte surface.

*The best way to strip a cast-iron pan of seasoning is to run the pan through your oven's self-cleaning cycle.

schurchill39
01-08-2016, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by WhippWhapp
All clad stainless- bring pan to right temp(a bead of water should dance around the pan), add oil, then food... food doesn't stick.

People make the mistake of having the pan too cold or hot or adding food to hot oil.

Holy shit, this was a game changer. I have a stainless clad Lagostina frying pan that wasn't exactly cheap but I assumed it was a piece of shit because food ALWAYS stuck to it. Turns out I was using it wrong. I tried this method tonight for eggs and although it was a little smokey (I used butter instead of oil) it worked perfectly.

Thanks!

WhippWhapp
01-09-2016, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by schurchill39

Holy shit, this was a game changer. I have a stainless clad Lagostina frying pan that wasn't exactly cheap but I assumed it was a piece of shit because food ALWAYS stuck to it. Turns out I was using it wrong. I tried this method tonight for eggs and although it was a little smokey (I used butter instead of oil) it worked perfectly.

Thanks!

You are welcome!

One other thing to watch for is not to add too much food at once, you'll take heat out of the pan and drop it enough that food will start sticking.

dj_rice
01-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Currently using the Green Pan Non-Stick I got from Costco. Shit's legit

gwill
01-09-2016, 10:06 PM
Pretty random to see this thread today as i saw an infomercial tonight for a frying pan that wont stick. They show them using utensils and a mixer in the pan itself with a money back guarantee.

It actually had me wanting to order one.

https://www.gothamsteel.com/

Xtrema
01-10-2016, 11:38 AM

Scratches?

So I guess a compliment to the thread would be the type of utensils used on various pans.

Bamboo and plastic both scratches over time. Especially you do stir fry. So it's just cheaper to change it out.

Wood look horrible after a month or two.

This is my work horse since I stir fry a lot:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/kitchen/cookware/pots-frypans/lagostina-ticino-wok-11-in-0420247p.html?utm_campaign=bazaarvoice&utm_medium=SearchVoice&utm_source=RatingsAndReviews&utm_content=Default

Only $22 when it goes on sale. I loaded up 3-4 every time it does and last me about 1 to 1.5 years. Unfortunately, exchange warranty doesn't cover fine hair scratches.

wintonyk
01-11-2016, 09:15 PM
does no one use a wok to fry things? i have mine well seasoned and never have anything stick. a straight up carbon steel wok, just have to make sure you wash(no soap) and dry immediately after (prevent rust) and its perfect.

RealJimmyJames
01-11-2016, 09:20 PM
Wok no work for pork chops or over easy eggs mang.

whiskas
01-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwJKDD6E7M0

TLDR:

Non-stick coatings do not last forever, all pans at some point will need to be replaced.

AllClad brand if you're willing to pay more and are OK with using their lifetime warranty to replace.

TFAL Professional if you're on a budget and don't mind buying another pan a few years later.

Dumbass17
01-12-2016, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
Do you season them ever? (no clue about these 'ceramic' ones you have.

+1. Gf picked up this set on sale at CT for like 300$ off and love them

Tezzating
01-13-2016, 12:29 PM
I've been using Starfrit Rock cookware for a few years now, works well and the coating stands up well to continual use. Just make sure you dont "cook dry" with it and you'll get years of service from them.
If you want to cook dry get some raw cast iron units, season them properly and away you go.

Strider
01-13-2016, 01:02 PM
Anyone use carbon steel pans like these?
http://www.costco.ca/CatalogSearch?storeId=10302&catalogId=11201&langId=-24&refine=&keyword=debuyer

My Ecopan and Greenpan lasted less than 6 months before food started sticking to them. Messed up my omelette this morning :(

I want to be able to make a proper french omelette and not sure if the carbon steel pan will be appropriate - even Pepin uses a non-stick.
s10etP1p2bU

My Berndes non-stick pan from Homesense has lasted me years (not daily use though). Would recommend the brand for those seeking a teflon non-stick pan.

WhippWhapp
01-13-2016, 01:50 PM
My Ecopan and Greenpan lasted less than 6 months before food started sticking to them. Messed up my omelette this morning :([/B]

Cookware is a tool like any other- use it incorrectly and you get subpar results, see my earlier post.

Strider
01-13-2016, 02:08 PM
Cookware is a tool like any other- use it incorrectly and you get subpar results, see my earlier post.

Saw your post, which is what inspired me to try an omelette on my ecopan again. I should clarify by saying that I can cook things like fried eggs and most proteins without sticking if I heat the pan sufficiently, use enough oil, and wait until it's cooked before flipping - same principles as if I were using a stainless steel pan.

But if I stir the eggs as in the video (necessary to prevent large curds), it starts to stick horribly - I'm guessing it displaces the oil and exposes egg to a now cooled portion of the pan.

Also sauces (added after proteins and veggies are almost fully cooked) stick terribly in my greenpan wok with stir frys - not sure how I would use the "hot wok, cold oil" principle to mitigate that.

Neither of the above would stick when the pans were new - really no point in having non-stick if it's as finicky using stainless.

WhippWhapp
01-13-2016, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Strider

Saw your post, which is what inspired me to try an omelette on my ecopan again. I should clarify by saying that I can cook things like fried eggs and most proteins without sticking if I heat the pan sufficiently, use enough oil, and wait until it's cooked before flipping - same principles as if I were using a stainless steel pan.

But if I stir the eggs as in the video (necessary to prevent large curds), it starts to stick horribly - I'm guessing it displaces the oil and exposes egg to a now cooled portion of the pan.

Also sauces (added after proteins and veggies are almost fully cooked) stick terribly in my greenpan wok with stir frys - not sure how I would use the "hot wok, cold oil" principle to mitigate that.

Neither of the above would stick when the pans were new - really no point in having non-stick if it's as finicky using stainless.

Without seeing you cook, my guess would be that you are losing too much heat out of the pan after adding ingredients.

Another reason heavy all clad and cast iron are great is that they don't lose as much heat as cheap, single ply aluminum pans.

firebane
01-13-2016, 03:55 PM
One of the best sets I've ever used for non-stick is a set of Starfrit pans I picked up on Superstore like 4 years ago. They may not be high quality but they cook well and shit don't stick.

jwslam
01-13-2016, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by firebane
One of the best sets I've ever used for non-stick is a set of Starfrit pans I picked up on Superstore like 4 years ago. They may not be high quality but they cook well and shit don't stick.
Starfrit is the manufacturer of "The Rock" as I mentioned and has been reviewed well as per other beyonders above.

Mitsu3000gt
01-13-2016, 04:24 PM
If you use as much butter as that guy in the video I imagine any pan becomes non-stick haha.

Seriously though I was looking at the Eco Pans from Costco, seemed good but not everyone likes them here.

SportEL
01-13-2016, 04:38 PM
I thought some of you ballers would own a Gastrolux pan. I heard these are the best non-stick pans, but really pricey. Starting at $200 per pan.

--->http://www.gastrolux-cookware.com/

R154
01-13-2016, 05:33 PM
Le creuset is what I use. 11" variant.

Neil4Speed
01-17-2016, 12:12 PM

I want to be able to make a proper french omelette and not sure if the carbon steel pan will be appropriate - even Pepin uses a non-stick.
s10etP1p2bU

My Berndes non-stick pan from Homesense has lasted me years (not daily use though). Would recommend the brand for those seeking a teflon non-stick pan.

Thanks for posting this, I never knew the difference between the two, just tried making a french omelette, and even though it didn't look like Pepins exactly, the "movement" of the egg around the pan was just as good. I used a little less butter than him though and gave a 1 second spray with avocado oil to evenly coat the pan.

This is on my two year old well used T-Fal Canadian Tire Special Non-Stick.

Now I'm hooked on Pepin videos on youtube haha.

speedog
01-17-2016, 12:47 PM
Well, about a week ago I decided to use one of two stainless steel pans we have had hidden away in the kitchen for probably 10 years now. We never used them because we had other pans in use and figured these would stick like crazy

Never the less, I threw in a little butter and fried up an egg and no sticking at all, so amazed and now they're my go to pans. No Teflon, no seasoning, just plain old stainless steel - who'd have thunk that?

98brg2d
01-22-2016, 09:53 AM
OPs pan looks to be ceramic, variously called "eco" or "green" by different manufacturers. It is claimed to be stronger than Teflon and more environmentally friendly. What some manufacturers do not tell you is that most of these ceramic coatings are damaged by spray oils (like Pam) which are very commonly used with non-stick. I personally only use spray oils for the convenience, with pans. Boiling water for pasta I use regular oil.

I have wrecked my parent's Paderno eco pan using spray oil and also by not following some stupid cooking procedure that does not work well at our altitude. I have also seen it scratch while using the Paderno flipper that is recommended for use with this type of pan and while using the Paderno scrubber that is recommended.

My conclusion is that for me, ceramic is the worst option for a pan (coated or non-coated) especially when you consider that ceramic pans often cost 3 or 4 times more than regular Teflon coated pans. Basically, I think they are garbage.

Strider
02-01-2016, 11:10 AM
Picked up a set of 2 Heritage The Rock Plus pans from Costco for $50. Seems to work great so far and I get the benefit of Costco's return policy if they start to fail prematurely.

Disoblige
02-01-2016, 11:13 AM
I purchased a Heritage Rock Pan, but what pisses me off is the packaging specifically says do not use on high heat, only on medium. What a way to protect themselves lol... Who the hell only uses a pan on medium heat?

.. and I get the benefit of Costco's return policy if they start to fail prematurely.
Good call on buying from Costco.

WhippWhapp
02-01-2016, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I purchased a Heritage Rock Pan, but what pisses me off is the packaging specifically says do not use on high heat, only on medium. What a way to protect themselves lol... Who the hell only uses a pan on medium heat?

A good pan will almost never require high heat...

SportEL
02-01-2016, 03:02 PM
For the Heritage Rock, Do you guys use the Ceramic "White" version or Regular "Black" version?

The_Rural_Juror
02-01-2016, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige

It's true. Good pans don't require high heat. One exception is my carbon steel wok. That style of cooking requires high heat and the steel doesn't hold enough heat.

googe
02-05-2016, 11:31 AM

1) Seriously?

2) Don't tell the NDP

Beyond's resident doctor and scientist :rofl:

The toxins they release do kill birds easily. Most bird owners are quite aware of this. The fumes only are only emitted above normal cooking temperatures, but it doesn't take much to hit those if you leave the pan on the stove.

It gets a little interesting when you think about how birds were used as canaries in mines, because if there were toxic gases, the human has advanced warning to get out of there when the bird dies first ;)

msommers
02-05-2016, 12:11 PM
In Pepin's video, wouldn't using a fork like that scratch the shit out of your pan and gouge any non-stick coating off in no time?

suntan
02-05-2016, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by googe

Beyond's resident doctor and scientist :rofl:

The toxins they release do kill birds easily. Most bird owners are quite aware of this. The fumes only are only emitted above normal cooking temperatures, but it doesn't take much to hit those if you leave the pan on the stove.

It gets a little interesting when you think about how birds were used as canaries in mines, because if there were toxic gases, the human has advanced warning to get out of there when the bird dies first ;) If you feed dogs grapes, they can die.

Neil4Speed
02-05-2016, 05:02 PM
In Pepin's video, wouldn't using a fork like that scratch the shit out of your pan and gouge any non-stick coating off in no time?

I thought the same, so I decided to use a silicone spatula.

Also... I totally f'ed my T-Fal pan, left it to preheat and started surfing on the computer and totally forgot until the fire alarm went off...

It was a good 2 year run, can someone PM me if you see the Canadian tire deal again? :rofl:

jwslam
02-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Found Starfrit The Rock pans 9" and 11" combos on clearance at Walmart $20 (northland)
(I think only the ceramic ones though. Which are induction capable)

SportEL
02-05-2016, 06:17 PM
Costco sells The Rock Plus. Any difference between that and the Regular Rock that Canadian Tire sells?

Strider
02-09-2016, 03:40 PM
Originally posted by SportEL
Costco sells The Rock Plus. Any difference between that and the Regular Rock that Canadian Tire sells?

I've read that it's thicker and should thus resist warping and hold heat better, but haven't actually compared them myself. But Costco's return policy sealed the deal for me

nonofyobiz
03-11-2016, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by theken

+1 for cast Iron. our 2 main cooking pans are cast. Once seasoned we have no trouble with sticking food. it's important your oil or whatever is hot enough to start with.

We also have one of those Marble pans, ours is almost like a wok style but not quite. just like a deep fry pan. We got that from TnT supermarket in Pacific Place across from marlborough mall. I highly recommend this pan as well

nonofyobiz
03-11-2016, 09:54 PM

I did not know this, this is a life hack. I always heated the oil with the pan.

msommers
03-12-2016, 01:20 AM
Yeah I'm interested in trying that now. I thought the golden rule of using oil in a frying pan was up: heat pan, add oil, heat oil, add food.

lint
03-12-2016, 01:33 AM
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/04/ask-the-food-lab-do-i-need-to-preheat-my-oil.html

ercchry
03-12-2016, 01:40 AM
Cast iron, no oil, med temp, don't play with your food... Let it sit and cook, flip halfway when it's been browned enough to release from pan... Continue with life instead of a 5 page thread about food sticking to metal :rofl:

If you want for easy cleaning take meat out and deglaze pan with some water... Or perhaps some wine and some flour for a nice sauce

Also flax seed oil is the shit for seasoning the pan

The exception to the no oil thing would be if you have a very lean cut of meat... Like chicken breast, for this just give the meat a coating of oil with some spices, not the pan

Wrinkly
03-13-2016, 12:32 AM
Oh wow! How beyond has "grown up" :rofl: all this talk of things domestic.....

The best ceramic non-stick pan I have was an impulse buy - in a hurry and needed one so grabbed one in Sobeys. Only $20 and their own brand, "Compliments".....didn't expect much, but it's the best, and has become my "go to" pan :dunno:

I have several of the "Green Pan" brand, but found the non-stick to be somewhat short lived. Worth noting that they're not to be used at high temperatures. Maybe that's a contributing factor?...

ExtraSlow
09-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Bump for one of the best infomercials I've seen in a while.
https://www.gothamsteel.ca
Online reviews aren't great, so not like I'm buying one, but watching that stuff slide around gave me a strong chef-boner.

Still hate my "fancy" Zwilling nonstick frying pans. Haven't done much about it. Probably should, since the coating is flaking off in spots . .:eek:

dj_rice
09-19-2016, 12:54 PM
Speaking of eggs and omelettes

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Uu5zGHjRaMo

Strider
09-19-2016, 01:21 PM
Since someone else bumped this anyways

The 2-pack of Heritage The Rock Plus pans are back at Costco after disappearing for 7 months
http://i.imgur.com/tRhleIq.jpg

Mine are still holding up perfectly whether it's crispy fried eggs on high heat serious eats (http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/06/how-to-make-crispy-browned-fried-eggs.html)
http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2016/06/20160605-crispy-fried-egg-5.jpg

or slow scrambled eggs, Gordon Ramsay style
PUP7U5vTMM0

I tried making slow scrambled in a stainless steel saucepan once and it was hell to clean after :banghead:

firebane
09-19-2016, 02:04 PM
LOL those eggs look nasty!

phreezee
09-19-2016, 02:32 PM
Since someone else bumped this anyways

The 2-pack of Heritage The Rock Plus pans are back at Costco after disappearing for 7 months
http://i.imgur.com/tRhleIq.jpg

Bought this over the weekend and used them for sunnyside eggs twice already. Works great!

msommers
09-19-2016, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by firebane
LOL those eggs look nasty!

This is exactly what I thought when the gf tried making them but I'll never make scrambled eggs any way else again.

Julia Child's old recipe book we have calls it French scrambled eggs. Put some brie in there then add some avocado spread on toast...heaven on earth man! But you gotta use butter!

Ended up getting a Lodge pan as a Christmas gift and it's amazing. Season it a few times with flax seed oil even when it's brand new. It's pre-seasoned but pretty shitty compared to what it needs to be.

flipstah
09-20-2016, 08:56 AM
I do the Gordon Ramsay scrambled eggs and they're awesome!

For stainless steel pans: Boil water with slight dish soap and then drain. Scrub while it's relatively warm.

01RedDX
09-20-2016, 10:57 AM