PDA

View Full Version : Double Zero Group Party Review

dirtsniffer
12-13-2015, 05:50 PM
Wanted to share my experience with Double Zero at Chinook Centre. My wife had her Birthday party there last night for a group of 17 people. For large groups they suggested we do a set menu and they bring out a selection of appys and pizzas for everyone.

The appetizers were all good, we had a meatball and a fried ricotta ball for everyone as well as roasted cauliflower and caesar salad to share. For pizza they approximate 3/4 of a pizza for each person and it was more than enough for our group. Pizza selection was varied and covered all of my favorites. The cost of this was $25pp plus tax and tip which is pretty fair considering the normal cost for 2 to go for dinner.

The service was attentive and good with management stopping by several times to check on things. They were even willing to split the bills up for us, but I don't think this was there official policy.

I would definitely go back or recommend to someone else.

rob the knob
12-13-2015, 06:15 PM
nice

:thumbsup:

suntan
12-14-2015, 09:46 AM
I like it here. Gone a few time.

One warning: Their garlic sauce tastes mild, but you will reek of garlic for hours afterwards.

Neil4Speed
12-14-2015, 11:18 AM
Thats great, it wasn't $25 including drinks right?

Mitsu3000gt
12-14-2015, 11:56 AM
Sounds not bad for a party.

I end up going to Double Zero a lot because it's one of the only pizza places in the core if a client wants pizza. I think it's average, and they don't seem to use the same quality ingredients as other places, but pizza is extremely subjective.

When I went to the Chinook location, I had a "prosciutto" pizza, and the "prosciutto" was highly processed deli ham lunch meat like you would use on a sandwich :barf: Have not been back since, hopefully they are using better ingredients these days.

suntan
12-14-2015, 11:59 AM
I've had that pizza multiple times, it's been the real stuff every time.

dirtsniffer
12-14-2015, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
Thats great, it wasn't $25 including drinks right?

the $25 did not include drinks.

Mitsu3000gt
12-14-2015, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by suntan
I've had that pizza multiple times, it's been the real stuff every time.

It was over a year ago, it could very well have changed by now, but I haven't been back.

suntan
12-14-2015, 01:46 PM
Sounds like you had the mortadella pizza. Mortadella is basically bologna.

88CRX
12-14-2015, 01:47 PM
I've been to a couple group gatherings at the Chinook location and it wasn't very good. Thought it was overpriced and none of the food (salads or pizza) were that great :dunno:

Mitsu3000gt
12-14-2015, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by suntan
Sounds like you had the mortadella pizza. Mortadella is basically bologna.

Maybe they put the wrong meat on the pizza, but I definitely ordered the prosciutto and the deli meat was gross. In general I don't find their pizzas to be anything special. Again, subjective, but I prefer places like WOP, Una, Bear St. Tavern, etc. for pizza quality.

INITIALD
12-14-2015, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX
I've been to a couple group gatherings at the Chinook location and it wasn't very good. Thought it was overpriced and none of the food (salads or pizza) were that great :dunno:

suntan
12-14-2015, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Maybe they put the wrong meat on the pizza, but I definitely ordered the prosciutto and the deli meat was gross. In general I don't find their pizzas to be anything special. Again, subjective, but I prefer places like WOP, Una, Bear St. Tavern, etc. for pizza quality. Prosciutto one is a Hawaiian pizza.

Yeah it's only okay there. Bear St Tavern is way better. They make their own meats there.

Try out Bottega if you're around the area. I think he has the best pizza in the city. He certainly uses the best prosciutto.

dirtsniffer
12-14-2015, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Maybe they put the wrong meat on the pizza, but I definitely ordered the prosciutto and the deli meat was gross. In general I don't find their pizzas to be anything special. Again, subjective, but I prefer places like WOP, Una, Bear St. Tavern, etc. for pizza quality.

I can't comment on the prosciutto there but I do know that quality can definitely depend on where you go. Sobey's prosciutto is no good, but go to the Italian Centre and it is the cats ass.

I live in the dirty south so even going to chinook is a trek. But I do agree Una and WOP are better. Can't say I'd ever drive to Banff for pizza.

jsn
12-14-2015, 06:21 PM
I've been to the Chinook location once. I had the mushroom pizza and the gf had some vegetarian sandwich. Both were very mediocre. The pizza at without papers is quite alot better. I probably wouldn't go back by choice.