PDA

View Full Version : Lower Back Pain

chathamf
12-31-2015, 05:11 PM
Been having some major lower back pain lately. I spent the 2 months before Christmas in school at SAIT doing my apprenticeship schooling. I think it got triggered by sitting in desks and at tables studying and whatnot.

I did nothing physical basically for 2 months and took that time off the gym as well. About 2 weeks ago it got a little sore, and then extremely sore after that. Sharp pains. Went to the doc (basically first time since being a kid) and got a checkup. He said it wasn't sciatica, which surprised me because I was convinced it was. Figured it was just a muscle strain. It got a lot better since seeing him, but aggravated it again couple days ago shoveling my sidewalk.

Today it is killing me and starting to worry me a little. My company wants me to come back to work within a week or 2 and I'm worried I'll be too injured to go back. With this economy that could be the end of my job.

I want to see a chiropractor or get a massage or something to maybe get it to heal a bit quicker. Anyone have any experience with these injuries? Any recommendations for certain chiros or massage therapist that did some good work?

I got an x-ray yesterday so should get a better idea of what exactly it is after the weekend.

Any info would be great guys. Thanks.

shtock99
12-31-2015, 06:40 PM
I've been going to see Scott Purdy who recently opened his own practice called pt kinetics in the SE. I had pretty much the exact same thing you're explaining a few months ago after building my fence and after 3 visits I was set. Warning you might cry a little but it will feel so good haha

chathamf
12-31-2015, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by shtock99
I've been going to see Scott Purdy who recently opened his own practice called pt kinetics in the SE. I had pretty much the exact same thing you're explaining a few months ago after building my fence and after 3 visits I was set. Warning you might cry a little but it will feel so good haha

Any idea what the sessions cost? No benefits at the moment. Willing to pay to get it fixed though I need this healed up asap haha.

Dumbass17
12-31-2015, 09:41 PM
Activate release therapy. Aka back acupuncture where they tweak the needles. About the only thing that helped me when I was bed ridden for 3 weeks+

ExtraSlow
12-31-2015, 11:02 PM
First key is to stop sitting so much and start stretching. Stretch glutes, quads and hip flexor for sure.
I had very similar issue.
The needleing helps, but you will have to do much work at home to get back to normal.
Fifth ave physio in the shell building can help with this. Heather or Leah are booth awesome with the needles.

chathamf
01-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Did a little stretching yesterday and feels a little better today. Will continue on with the stretches and see how it goes. So hard to not be sitting when I'm in pain and there is nothing I can do that is productive while standing up. It's funny I do a somewhat labour intensive job (electrician) and lift weights quite regularly and never have much for back issues. I get to sitting on my ass and fall off the gym wagon and my body all goes to shit. Goes to show how important keeping active is.

Seth1968
01-01-2016, 10:29 AM
Provided that it's a muscle / tendon issue, then keep up the stretching.

Lie on your back, grab your knees, and slowly pull them up to your face. And no, you won't be able to stretch enough to give yourself a BJ:)

Also, get one of those ass donuts to avoid spinal stress.

A790
01-01-2016, 10:34 AM
Strengthen your back and core.

Seth1968
01-01-2016, 10:41 AM
And address your posture when sitting.

Don't bother with the inflatable ass donuts, they just leak. Get one of these and ignore the giggles:

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hula-cushion/6000040394705

shtock99
01-01-2016, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by chathamf

Any idea what the sessions cost? No benefits at the moment. Willing to pay to get it fixed though I need this healed up asap haha.

I believe the first appointment is somewhere around $85 then $70 after that

chathamf
01-01-2016, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by A790
Strengthen your back and core.

Yea I'm starting to believe this is what I need to do. I will admit that I neglected my core while weight training at the gym. I haven't gone to the gym in months after 2 years of steady training. I believe this mixed with being in school and eating like crap (packed on a few lbs) all helped in creating this super sore back.

Have been doing some different stretches the last two days and am grabbing a book called fix your own back that has some good reviews. Got to get this shit under control. Kids got a new toboggan for xmas and I can't even take them.

A790
01-01-2016, 02:20 PM

Yea I'm starting to believe this is what I need to do. I will admit that I neglected my core while weight training at the gym. I haven't gone to the gym in months after 2 years of steady training. I believe this mixed with being in school and eating like crap (packed on a few lbs) all helped in creating this super sore back.

Have been doing some different stretches the last two days and am grabbing a book called fix your own back that has some good reviews. Got to get this shit under control. Kids got a new toboggan for xmas and I can't even take them.
When I herniated my L5/S1 lumbar I tried physio, acupuncture, etc. I found that core conditioning, cardio, and (eventually) stretching were what brought me back to normality.

That was 2010. Today I deadlift/etc. and do all the things I used to do (with some modifications here and there). Core conditioning is an important part of my training :)

ExtraSlow
01-01-2016, 03:11 PM
Absolutely core strength and posture are super important to protect the back, but those are longer term goals. Short term, physio and stretching will be the way to go.

Also, if anyone goes to a physiotherapist for something like this and they aren't giving you exercise and stretching homework, get a better physiotherapist.

InRich
01-01-2016, 03:25 PM
One of my clients went to a chiropractor. ended up with a stroke, so... be careful with some of these chiropractors in the city. he is the same age as me, 35

theken
01-01-2016, 04:20 PM
what? ^

chathamf
01-01-2016, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by theken
what? ^

LOL

rob the knob
01-01-2016, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by InRich
One of my clients went to a chiropractor. ended up with a stroke, so... be careful with some of these chiropractors in the city. he is the same age as me, 35

i hear this too. google says it happens, stroke after chiropractor works your neck.

Four large studies have established an association between neck manipulation and stroke in patients 45 and younger, although the evidence does not prove that the practice can directly cause strokes, the paper stated.

Nonetheless, chiropractors and osteopathic physicians ought to warn patients of this link, the statement added.

"We strongly believe that patients should be informed of this association before undergoing neck manipulation," Biller said.

C_Dave45
01-01-2016, 07:39 PM
God....lower back pain is my life. 34 years of lifting small weights and twisting while on my knees.
If I'm bent over for more than a minute or so (picture cleaning out a paint bucket), it takes real careful movement and plenty of pain to straighten up.
Sit on the couch for awhile and to get up again almost brings me to tears.

max_boost
01-01-2016, 07:51 PM
It's been on and off for me these past 10 years. The worst was when I was on crutches for a few weeks and the doctor prescribed me some anti-inflammatory pills. Other than that it comes and goes. Sometimes from sports, other times it just flares up outta nowhere. Usually it'll be gone after 3-4 days of soreness. I find the more I sit the more it kicks in but luckily for me I stand most of the time. :nut: :dunno:

riander5
01-01-2016, 08:24 PM
Limber 11

RealJimmyJames
01-03-2016, 07:27 AM
Greatest stretching and strengthening exercise for people with the classic "office body" pains and dysfunction is the Bulgarian Split Squat. I would suggest doing at with body weight only until you have the form perfect and stable, and have a decent range of motion. Good stretch of Hip Flexor, which is important.

http://www.clubfym.com/public/images/gallery/bulgarF26EAFBBB88C1B.jpg

T-Nation Article on Bulgarian Split Squats (https://www.t-nation.com/training/bulgarian-split-squats)

Recommend getting front leg as far forward as possible, keep a wide stance, at least when you are doing this for mobility reasons. You may want a narrower stance if you are including notable weight. If you are doing it without weight, you can do this in your living room at home without any special equipment.

theken
01-03-2016, 06:00 PM
sciatic pain is generally not in the lower back, it is generally in the legs, ie hamstring area, calf, even the foot. Your back muscles are probably strained, time to strengthen. Sciatic is THE WORST pain you will ever have, there is no other way to describe that, I still have limited feeling on the left side of my entire leg and my foot is numb and only have partial movement in the toes. That was a year and a half ago, so the recovery is a long and painful thing.
If your back hurts accompanied with leg pains (like a fully blown hamstring) and you literally cry like a small child, then you probably have a blown out disc causing the nerve to be compressed, if it is just lower back pain strengthening core and other muscle groups (legs, back) will help tremendously, as well as stretching. Posture plays the biggest role i have found, i stand, walk, sit, drive like the way black people make fun of white people, but i have noticed an impact on my pain. If while i am driving i slouch a bit, i will start to feel a tingle in my hamstring and i will immediately correct my posture, i do not want 10 seconds of that pain again ever.

A790
01-03-2016, 06:50 PM
i do not want 10 seconds of that pain again ever.
a-fucking-men to that.

Seth1968
01-03-2016, 11:32 PM
http://news.images.itv.com/image/file/478279/stream_img.jpg

God's love.

And again, no word from the religious crew.

theken
01-03-2016, 11:59 PM
^ great add-on i was wondering if back pain had a face, i guess this is it?

ercchry
01-04-2016, 01:45 AM
Foam roller and the tennis ball/lacrosse ball spine roller ftw... And core strengthening like mentioned above

funkedelic2
01-04-2016, 02:34 AM
I'm on the same boat as you right now and feel your pain. I've also had back issues for about 10 years now with mostly just occasional pain that I feel in the moment and goes away. I've had a few stints where I've had my back be sore for a few days and it goes back to normal. I had a slipped disc 2 years ago and it took about a month before I could walk, stand and move with proper posture and without pain. My back would seize up after sitting for extended periods of time. After a few minutes, it would loosen up. I did physio and went to the chiropractor for treatment. I found that the adjustments that chiropractor made and electro acupuncture helped the most. I did stretches daily and tried to walk as much as possible even just inside the house.

This holiday break I ended up slipping and falling on my ass which brought on some pain while sitting. It went away the following day. A few days later I was working out and felt a tremendous amount of pain while doing dead lifts. I had proper form but something just didn't agree with my back. I had to go to the ER, couldn't walk, was in a lot of pain and long story short, I'm off work for a few weeks. My progress has been very slow and I'm sure my disc is out of whack again. I haven't had a chance to see professional help as everyone has been off until this week but my suggestion is to be patient. You can't work doing a physical job if you are injured. You'll do more harm in the long run. Instead of sitting, when you are resting your back, try to lay down. I find being in bed is way more beneficial for your back then sitting on a couch. Try to walk and stretch as much as you can. This will increase your mobility. A massage wouldn't hurt. My fiancé is a RMT and she has made my back feel much better with a massage and cupping therapy. Take care of your back (you only get one) and good luck!

theken
01-04-2016, 02:51 AM
Also I may add, accupuncture helped me a too. I don't know how it works but I had a great deal of pain relief for a few days after

RealJimmyJames
01-04-2016, 07:06 AM
Dry Neeling - Wiki Article (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_needling)

chathamf
01-04-2016, 09:08 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. This has been a battle and started to feel a little better but worried I will not be able to go back to work when the call comes in to go back. This may sound kind of odd but has anyone experienced back pain due to constipation? I never really thought of this until a couple days ago but when I went to school I completely fell off the healthy wagon. Stopped working out, eating like crap, etc. I noticed I wasn't going to the bathroom quite as often as usual. Kind of forgot about it and just kept on eating like crap and doing my thing. Did a little googling and apparently this is a thing. Kind of thinking this may have contributed or been a major factor. Still waiting on my X-ray results.

RealJimmyJames
01-04-2016, 09:18 AM
quick and easy way to fix the constipation issue to to hit the veggies for a day.
Or Benefibre

BlueHaloGirl
01-04-2016, 10:39 AM
Same boat, I've had issues with my back for years since I threw it out at work years ago.
It goes out every now and then and the only thing I've found to make it better is acupuncture with electro stim
Sitting for a period then getting up is the most painful of all, but I always find once I get moving and walking it feels better. Also watch your posture standing, sitting and walking.
Believe it or not I found horseback riding helps when my back goes out as you have to keep really good posture when in the saddle.

SKR
01-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Yoga will probably help.

Swank
01-04-2016, 11:29 AM
My first bout with back pain was in my early 20's when I ruptured a disc which caused pressure on the sciatic nerve. Crippling agony, ambulance to the emergency room, off work for 2 weeks, hobbling with a numb leg for ~8 months. Fortunately I healed up and got fit so I was fine for at least a decade. Last year I started getting lower back pain that just kept getting worse, always worst in the morning, I could barely get out of bed. This was the same bed that I was laying in to heal up from my back injury ~15 years prior - time for a new bed! The bed didn't slouch or feel 'off' in any way, but somehow it was no longer suitable for me. Found myself sleeping on the couch a lot as I'd be pain free after 1-2 sleeps, and hotel beds were heavenly. The new bed had fixed me up like 95%, the other 5% was to stop using an exercise ball as a computer desk chair. Every time I'd sit on that for an extended period I be crippled up again for an hour or 2.

This may not be the case/cause for you, but if it helps anybody relieve the pain I went through then it's worth it.

funkedelic2
01-04-2016, 12:52 PM
If you are on pain killers, that may be the reason you are constipated. I was taking percocets and they backed me up a few days on top of also making me drowsy, having dry mouth and overall feeling tired. Take some stool softener and drink lots of water and food high in fiber. I wouldn't be too surprised to find nothing wrong with your X-rays. It won't show anything but your bones and will only be useful if you broke your tail bone. It won't show anything like your discs in the spine, only the space in between them.

theken
01-05-2016, 03:18 PM
xrays are a joke for back injuries, unless its broken or fractured.

Sean7
01-05-2016, 05:07 PM
Acupuncture, Chiro and pain meds are only a temporary solution. They don't want to fix your pain, as you will stop giving them money every week.
For most people with back pain, it is as simple as doing lower back and core stretches\exercises everyday. One of my relatives lived with chronic back pain for over 15 years, he started doing Foundation Training exercises everyday and was pain free in a week. There are free tutorial videos on YouTube, and you can do the exercises almost anywhere. It just requires a bit of effort, there is no magical easy button....

A790
01-05-2016, 05:16 PM
xrays are a joke for back injuries, unless its broken or fractured.
MRI or bust.

Also, OP, if the pain is really bad look into medicinal marijuana. Seriously.

It changed my life after my injury :)

chathamf
01-05-2016, 05:53 PM

MRI or bust.

Also, OP, if the pain is really bad look into medicinal marijuana. Seriously.

It changed my life after my injury :)

Haha. The medical stuff pretty good, eh? Pain is okay. I got to keep at the stretching and start to strengthen up. Sucks though wonder how long it's going to have me out. I know as soon as I do any actual work it will flare up again pretty good. Seems to be more isolated and acting like normal back pain now though. Before it was debilitating and shooting down my legs and stuff.

As shitty as it is being without work, I'm hoping my company doesn't need me for another couple weeks so I can see if I can kick this issue.

theken
01-05-2016, 06:32 PM
i asked for the weed, didnt get it

chathamf
01-07-2016, 02:20 PM
So I've got a minor degenerative disc change at L5-S1. Doc just recommends some chiro. I've got no benefits and was laid off before Xmas so not a ton of flow at the moment. Place I got recommended to is 100 for initial assessment and 80 each visit after. I really am willing to only pay for 2-3 sessions right about now. Is it worth it if I can't commit to many sessions? Does this pricing sound reasonable?

theken
01-07-2016, 02:26 PM
that seems standard, but i would wait until you have coverage, i was going two to three times a week for chiro/physio. and every body has degenerating discs

ExtraSlow
01-07-2016, 03:02 PM
My situation was different, but I found Physio much more effective when I had lower back pain compared to chiro.

Those rates sound about normal for either however.

chathamf
01-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
My situation was different, but I found Physio much more effective when I had lower back pain compared to chiro.

Those rates sound about normal for either however.

Physio is what I am getting didn't mean to write chiro.

Pacman
01-07-2016, 04:03 PM
Core strength,stretching and not being a dingbat and lifting heavy weights.

Once you go to physio a few times, you can replicate the exercises at home. YOu can buy the same medical grade, EMS 2000 electronic neuromuscular stimulation machine they use for around $120 from a Canadian medical distributor if you feel it works well. Buy a lacross ball and a foam roller and roll out your tight muscles at home when you are doing your stretches.

I had a massive herniation at L4/L5 and had all the symptoms listed on this thread (foot drop, leg numbness, sciatica, loss of bladder control, low back pain etc) and ended up having to get a lumbar fusion with titanium rods/screws/bolts etc, but I know lots of people who have manged to avoid surgery by stretching and exercises.

I'm not fond of chiros for this type of thing. From a science point of view, I'm not sure I understand how they can "fix" an issue like this.

mr2mike
01-07-2016, 05:45 PM
I'm pro on strengthen the muscles but first you need to get the pain under control.
Ice, heat and rest till you feel better. Then progress with a tennis ball first to get to the muscles. Then go to lacrosse or harder ball. Some try a hard squash ball too.
Foam roller too. They're not cheap but if you use it everyday it's well worth it. Also good for whole body, legs, arms, upper back, shoulders, etc.

chathamf
01-07-2016, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
I'm pro on strengthen the muscles but first you need to get the pain under control.
Ice, heat and rest till you feel better. Then progress with a tennis ball first to get to the muscles. Then go to lacrosse or harder ball. Some try a hard squash ball too.
Foam roller too. They're not cheap but if you use it everyday it's well worth it. Also good for whole body, legs, arms, upper back, shoulders, etc.

Pain is under control but I certainly can't get back to weight training or strenuous work. I'm fine roaming around the house doing odd jobs and whatnot. I'm really starting to feel Ill just be wasting my time if I can only afford a couple sessions with the physiotherapist. Thinking maybe just see if I can get it under control myself.

I did 25 mins on the elliptical and 20 on the bike yesterday and no terrible pain. Normal back muscle pain but nothing awful. Might start at some Yoga here shortly too. Was looking at the foam rollers at Winners yesterday. Are the smooth ones as good as the ones with tread like things on them? Ended up not getting one but I think I will pick one up.

A790
01-07-2016, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Generally with back pain the last thing you want to do is rest... after a point. A few days to let inflammation die down/etc. and then stretching/strengthening should begin.

Also, you can get foam rollers for like $15 at Fitness Depot.

Pain is under control but I certainly can't get back to weight training or strenuous work. I'm fine roaming around the house doing odd jobs and whatnot. I'm really starting to feel Ill just be wasting my time if I can only afford a couple sessions with the physiotherapist. Thinking maybe just see if I can get it under control myself.

I did 25 mins on the elliptical and 20 on the bike yesterday and no terrible pain. Normal back muscle pain but nothing awful. Might start at some Yoga here shortly too. Was looking at the foam rollers at Winners yesterday. Are the smooth ones as good as the ones with tread like things on them? Ended up not getting one but I think I will pick one up.
DO NOT DO YOGA YET. Wait until you are not getting pain when doing stretches/etc.

Ask me how I know... lol

mr2mike
01-07-2016, 09:55 PM
The foam ones without knobs are just fine. Get one that isn't too soft or too hard. The foam vs the hollow ones are the foam ones will degrade over time but that's with a lot of use.

I wouldn't do any sort of twisting exercises or even any twisting with lifts, even light things, aka no snow shoveling.

When you start feeling good, do the stretching and rolling. Maybe get planking involved if you feel stronger but that's close to a yoga thing.

Maybe this?
http://www.orthop.washington.edu/orthodev/drupal/sites/default/files/Portals/21/LiveContent/7329/Images/figure5.gif

chathamf
01-14-2016, 06:43 PM
Backs starting to mend pretty good. Not sore anymore, but I can tell that at any moment I could re aggregate it. I've been stretching sometimes at home, and have been doing cardio at the gym. Looking for a nice core strengthening routine I could do at home, and another for the gym.

Any suggestions? What worked well for you guys?

scboss
01-31-2016, 09:50 PM
Backs starting to mend pretty good. Not sore anymore, but I can tell that at any moment I could re aggregate it. I've been stretching sometimes at home, and have been doing cardio at the gym. Looking for a nice core strengthening routine I could do at home, and another for the gym.

Any suggestions? What worked well for you guys?

Start with getting good at bodyweight movements. Squats, lunges etc. Alot of my research lately (im a trainer) has been going into FRC training and the benefits for your hips and back. Doing things like the 90/90 stretch and making sure your body can do things with full range of motion and control.

Even if you look at my thread "All Show No Go" I used to be obsessed with setting PRs and smashing heavy weights. Now although I do lift heavy nearly 40% of each session is spent progressing how my body moves and preventing injuries.

I had a very serious injury roughly 6 years ago at my old job and my best advice? If your hurt dont sit around and wait for it to get better. Unless you require surgery the best option willl always be physio and strengthening. Take it one step at a time and always think prehab first!

I think I posted this in another thread but the usual culprit for modern day back pain is the psoas muscle. It is responsible for hip flexion and is shortened by long periods of sitting causing it to compress your spine. Tons of mobility work and info on youtube!

Just dont confuse Mobility and Flexibility. Flexibility will make your injuries feel better but mobility will strengthen them and prevent them from coming back

chathamf
07-28-2016, 03:07 PM
So it's been quite a while since I started this thread and wanted to check back in as I have another question. Back has been generally pretty good I've been working 12 hour days steadily since Apeil and no real issues at work. When I get my week off though it starts to get sore again. Mostly sitting around all week on the couch and it starts acting up again. Go back to work and I'm fine. I wear bib overalls at work and I find having no tension around my waist really helps.

My question is has anyone experienced this type of thing? It doesn't seem like a huge issue as I can do whatever I have to do on a regular basis but it's obvious my back isn't the same as it used to be. What started this issue was sitting on my ass for two months in school last winter and sitting on my ass aggrevates it again. I have benefits now and can start seeing a chiro or physio therapist but I wonder if it's worthwhile if I'm away working for two weeks at a time.

A790
07-28-2016, 03:38 PM
So it's been quite a while since I started this thread and wanted to check back in as I have another question. Back has been generally pretty good I've been working 12 hour days steadily since Apeil and no real issues at work. When I get my week off though it starts to get sore again. Mostly sitting around all week on the couch and it starts acting up again. Go back to work and I'm fine. I wear bib overalls at work and I find having no tension around my waist really helps.

My question is has anyone experienced this type of thing? It doesn't seem like a huge issue as I can do whatever I have to do on a regular basis but it's obvious my back isn't the same as it used to be. What started this issue was sitting on my ass for two months in school last winter and sitting on my ass aggrevates it again. I have benefits now and can start seeing a chiro or physio therapist but I wonder if it's worthwhile if I'm away working for two weeks at a time.
Dude you need to strengthen you core.

chathamf
07-28-2016, 04:53 PM

Maybe you are right. Come to think of it I had stopped working out regularly around the time of my back pain as well. My core would have only gotten weaker since as I never got back to the gym regularly.

A790
07-28-2016, 05:14 PM

Maybe you are right. Come to think of it I had stopped working out regularly around the time of my back pain as well. My core would have only gotten weaker since as I never got back to the gym regularly.
There's no maybe about it. If you have a back injury, you need to make sure your core is tight and strong. Keeping it strong allows it to properly address the loads you place on it, keeping pressure off of your lower lumbar and allowing weight and momentum to better travel through the midsection.

I don't mean sit ups. I mean engaging your core in compound motions, such as planks, good mornings, leg raises, hanging twists, etc. Slow, controlled motions where you can focus on engaging the muscle and removing the stress from the lower lumbar.

Man I went through that a long time ago - there's a beyond diary about it in the archives I think lol - and the only way it got better was when I made core conditioning a priority.

Sorry for the lecture. Take care of your back. :)

chathamf
07-28-2016, 05:41 PM

There's no maybe about it. If you have a back injury, you need to make sure your core is tight and strong. Keeping it strong allows it to properly address the loads you place on it, keeping pressure off of your lower lumbar and allowing weight and momentum to better travel through the midsection.

I don't mean sit ups. I mean engaging your core in compound motions, such as planks, good mornings, leg raises, hanging twists, etc. Slow, controlled motions where you can focus on engaging the muscle and removing the stress from the lower lumbar.

Man I went through that a long time ago - there's a beyond diary about it in the archives I think lol - and the only way it got better was when I made core conditioning a priority.

Sorry for the lecture. Take care of your back. :)

Appreciate it man. I've really got to get back to this. It's to the point I can't wear regular pants only elasticized waists lol.

theken
07-28-2016, 07:02 PM
My leg started going numb again a few weeks ago after a nasty bump on Stoney....terrified me, I went to the gym later that evening did a disgustingly long back workout including good mornings, and everything I could throw at my back. Woke up the next day feeling great. Back started hurting yesterday, did the same thing again feel amazing today. Going to go tonight work core and a few other things and keep that back from hurting again.

ExtraSlow
07-28-2016, 10:21 PM
Core strength is key. If you don't have any idea what that is, try yoga.

HuMz
07-29-2016, 08:17 AM
My symptoms are the same as yours OP. Like already mentioned stretching and strengthening your core will be the best thing. After 3 months in school last year my back was in rough Shape having to go back to work. I picked up one of those back braces from shoppers for the first bit and took Robaxin almost everyday for the first few weeks. The more I worked and stretched, it slowly went away and has been good for the last 6 months. Also I bought a thumper massager which works really well.

scboss
07-29-2016, 12:27 PM
Did you go see a athletic or physio therapist yet?
I legit just switched my benefits so I can see a at 1x per month for free. For all the shit we put our bodies through it just good to have even when your not injured.

After my assessment I was told that because of my previous psoas injury my left leg was sitting half an inch shorter then my right.

After 3 treatments of active release therapy I literally have not had a flare up. I still go for maintenance and to make sure everything is aligned and such.

The best advice I've ever got is to always remember pain is the last part of an injury. You have actually been injured a long time way before you started feeling it. Same if the pain goes a way your not better.

Also don't see chiropractic until your muscles have loosened up. All they do is try to put things into place and your tight muscles pull it back.

austic
07-29-2016, 12:49 PM
I got to a sadist for Neuromuscular Therapy. Its 30mins of the worst pain you will experience but it works.

bigbadboss101
07-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Good thread! My hip is out of alignment and hence my left shoulder is quite a bit higher than my right. Couple of you have seen me with a bar on my shoulders and said WTF is up with that!!

I went to chiro back in June and at $48 a pop, 2-3x a week for a month I decided to stop since I have to pay out of pocket. I do have my own policy which reduces the cost but still I pay most of it.

Wednesday night I was sitting on the floor with my daughter and I tweaked something. Night time I could barely move, or get out of bed. I went and used my friend's inversion table today and thought hey not much is going on. However, I got off and my lower back felt better. Pain is still there but it's better.

I will go see a physio therapist soon.

max_boost
07-29-2016, 02:13 PM
We can all relate to this. Mine still flares up randomly, sometimes once every few months for a few days or the longest was 9 months pain free.

I gotta keep my posture straight first thing in the morning but luckily I don't have a desk job and always on my feet.

Working out definitely helps. See what works for you. Listen to your body.

2000Accord
07-30-2016, 10:10 AM
A few years ago I developed a bad back pain that was quite bad, saw Physio and Chiro for several months with some slow progress… then was told about this book by a physiotherapist, "Treat your own back pain" by Robin Mckenzie... Spent $20 on the book on Friday, felt way better by Monday!

Seth1968
07-30-2016, 10:20 AM

Maybe you are right.

No maybe, he's right.

Other than the exercises as suggested, then once more, correct your posture when sitting.

On a side note, I'm surprised no one has commented on my ass donut suggestion :cry:

ricosuave
07-30-2016, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by austic
I got to a sadist for Neuromuscular Therapy. Its 30mins of the worst pain you will experience but it works.

just wondering who/where you go for that

austic
12-02-2016, 10:14 AM
Figured I would add the response to the thread as well

http://www.threepeaksclinic.com/

Adamo is the guy you want to go see.

its not something you go 2 or 3 times a week. When you meet him his goal is to fix you in as little sessions as possible. its going to hurt like hell but it works.

I had some really bad shoulder issues that he fixed in 3 sessions.

Dumbass17
12-02-2016, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by 2000Accord
A few years ago I developed a bad back pain that was quite bad, saw Physio and Chiro for several months with some slow progress… then was told about this book by a physiotherapist, "Treat your own back pain" by Robin Mckenzie... Spent $20 on the book on Friday, felt way better by Monday!

I got referred this book too, well worth the $8 from amazon for the copy.
I just need to finish reading it but like what I've read so far.
My back is a mess

ercchry
12-02-2016, 04:37 PM
Since the creation of this thread I have had my atlas vertebrae adjusted (one time, painless noninvasive procedure) and the results have been wild. Crazy, crazy shit. You can do some simple tests at home to see how far out yours is, basically 95% of people are born unaligned but there isn't much change in the mild cases. Head injuries and whiplash and whatnot will make it worse over time and with my extensive high impact sport history it's been a huge change.

So the test that really stood out to me was a strength test. Basically you lay on your back with your right leg bent and left straight. Get someone to put pressure on the left leg and looking straight ahead raise that leg. Then turn your head to the left and your eyes to the right as far as you can and try to raise your leg again

For me I couldn't... he did the procedure then we did the tests again and boom... full strength

C_Dave45
12-02-2016, 06:22 PM
I live with back pain every single day. Whenever I bend over to clean my buckets for more than 30 seconds, I can't stand up. It takes me a few minutes before I can stand straight and walk. Same with getting up from the couch. Intense pain for the first few minutes of standing up.
People always ask about my knees in this trade. My knees are fine. My back is shot.
I haven't gone to a chiropractor in over 30 years.

AE92_TreunoSC
12-02-2016, 10:39 PM
Stress flares my back pain the worst. Ever since I started as a mechanic I've always experienced the worst pain when I'm stressed out of my mind.

I use icey hot and a heated bean bag at night when its really bad.

muffzz
02-13-2017, 01:17 PM
I had chronic lower back pain for almost a month where the pain was so bad I could barely walk. Thank God it wasn't a herniated disc.

Not sure if this is due to years of doing heavy dead-lifting (bad form/ego lifting) but it did take a big toll. Some days when I lay down, it would take me 10-15 mins just to roll over to one side or to get up..it was that bad. I used to get muscle spasms as well.

Fast forward to today, I am completely fine now due to many chiropractor/massage sessions and daily stretching. For those who are still in pain, GO to a chiropractor ASAP before it gets worse. It will not get fixed in 1 day but it will with time and you will feel a lot better. Also it is a good idea to do yoga. Invest in your health.

jwslam
02-13-2017, 01:48 PM
Not that I have horrible back pain but I bought this yesterday and it'll probably help y'all too. Pending snowfall to test it out.

http://www.homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm/Outdoor-Living/Yard-Maintenance/Snow-Removal-Aids/Tools/Poly-Shovels/Auxiliary-Ergonomic-Handle-for-Snow-Shovel/_/N-2pqfZ67l/Ne-67n/Ntk-All_EN/R-I5551430?Ntt=the+heft