PDA

View Full Version : Should I start running synthetic?

16hypen3sp
01-10-2016, 01:07 PM
My '05 Dodge Neon is coming due for an oil change. It's also really close to 200,000 on the odometer.

Should I start using synthetic oil or keep the conventional?

It gets cold started often.

revelations
01-10-2016, 01:16 PM
(quick list)

pros

- can increase service/change interval (with proper filter)
- better cold start performance
- better performance in extreme conditions

cons

- can cause leaking from shrinking oil seals that have been swelled up by aromatics in dino oil
- cost

Personally, for a non-SRT4 I wouldnt bother.
Get a oil pan heater if thats possible, for where its parked.

16hypen3sp
01-10-2016, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by revelations
(quick list)

pros

- can increase service/change interval (with proper filter)
- better cold start performance
- better performance in extreme conditions

cons

- can cause leaking from shrinking oil seals that have been swelled up by aromatics in dino oil
- cost

Personally, for a non-SRT4 I wouldnt bother.
Get a oil pan heater if thats possible, for where its parked.

The cost doesn't bother me. It's the possibility of leaking that scares me. I have the block heater on when I'm at home but when I go to work it sits in an airport parking lot for at least 7 days unplugged.

On the other hand, I am thinking about selling this car come spring/summer.

revelations
01-10-2016, 02:17 PM
Get a timer for the airport block heater and a battery blanket for the winter.

rx7_turbo2
01-10-2016, 02:31 PM
Is the oil seals leaking on this particular model a known issue when oil is switched from Dino to Syn?

I've always read that but have never experienced it. I've switched an 89 Landcruiser and 91 VW GTI, both with over 200k at the time of the switch, no issues. I've also switched a 97 Civic, two newer Tundras a higher mileage Tacoma and an aircooled 911, none of these vehicles ever experienced additional oil leaks or oil consumption after the swap.

relyt92
01-10-2016, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2
Is the oil seals leaking on this particular model a known issue when oil is switched from Dino to Syn?

I've always read that but have never experienced it. I've switched an 89 Landcruiser and 91 VW GTI, both with over 200k at the time of the switch, no issues. I've also switched a 97 Civic, two newer Tundras a higher mileage Tacoma and an aircooled 911, none of these vehicles ever experienced additional oil leaks or oil consumption after the swap. From what I've seen it's something people always talk about happening, but I've never actually seen anyone say it's happened when they've done the switch. I've also done the switch with 175kon a car and no leaking issues.

ExtraSlow
01-10-2016, 03:09 PM
Why incur the extra expense on a car you are about to sell?

16hypen3sp
01-10-2016, 03:20 PM
Selling just isn't a for sure thing yet. But most likely will happen. I just hate the cold starts. Just sounds like crap.

I work with a guy that only runs synthetic just because of cold starts.

rx7_turbo2
01-10-2016, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
I work with a guy that only runs synthetic just because of cold starts.
That was my reason for the swap. On the new vehicles I waited for the free oil change period to end though ;)

I'm not sure if the Syn actually saves on cold start wear and tear but it sure sounds like it does :thumbsup: