PDA

View Full Version : Brake job question

snoop101
01-18-2016, 12:22 PM
Good day all

I need to get a brake job done soon on my 2013 Hyundai Santa fe.

Couple of questions.

I really dont trust any of the Hyundai dealerships, but is there any advantages of getting it done through them compared to lets say another dealership?

The other option is having it done by a private shop, but not sure if I will save any money that way.

A side question. Is it worth buying all the parts online and then having either a dealership or private shop install them?

RealJimmyJames
01-18-2016, 12:32 PM
Very few shops will accept your parts. Be sure to double check first.

Most brake jobs aren't rocket science, could do it yourself maybe?

iron_man888
01-18-2016, 01:18 PM
^ what James said .... a brake replacement is pretty straight forward process provided you own the tools needed to perform the job.

if you want to attempt it yourself; feel free to contact me and I can guide you through the process if you run into issues. Hell.. I will even do it for you if you want to make worth my while haha :bigpimp:

but yah most shops like to install their own parts as they make money on the parts and likely provide warranty.. but if you are doing it yourself you are better off ordering parts off Rockauto or the like...

'93 SR-V
01-18-2016, 01:33 PM
Any competent mechanic should be fine. If you go to a dealer you get OEM parts that are generally good quality/ a good match to your vehicle. Private shops generally would use after market parts. Some of these are better than others so just ensure that they are offering parts from a reputable manufacturer would be my only suggestion. As far as going to another non-Hyundai dealer this would result in dealer labour costs but probably aftermarket parts so why pay that premium?

403civic
01-18-2016, 06:46 PM
PM me if you want to get them done for a reasonable price
5 years dealership experience; been wrenching since i was 14

cancer man
01-19-2016, 07:43 AM
PM your year of vehicle and if it's front or rear. My shop flooded out and i still have excessive inventory.

88jbody
01-29-2016, 10:04 PM
I work for a huyndai dealer as a tech. if you choose that route and book an appointment I can make sure they are treating you right and not taking you for a ride. or you can request me as the tech directly to avoid all that to begin with ( there is only one tech where i work who I would say is questionable) feel free to message me personally if that is something you want to do

MushiSushi
02-05-2016, 05:06 PM
So are there any reasonable shops to take your vehicle to get the brakes done?

I was told i need my pads replaced and roters machined. (2010 Rav4)

RealJimmyJames
02-05-2016, 05:31 PM
if you are even slightly handy, on many cars it's easier and cheaper to just replace the rotors instead of machining them.

J.M.
02-05-2016, 06:10 PM
:werd: way easier to just replace the rotor in some cases

AE92_TreunoSC
02-05-2016, 08:37 PM
Suggest an impact driver for the screws on the rotors if you chose to do it yourself.

3 year old cars can have seized screws.