PDA

View Full Version : Strut and wheel clearance

NoPulp
01-21-2016, 07:52 PM
What clearance is typically needed between the front strut and wheel?

I found the perfect deal on the wheels I want. But they are wider than current and will require spacers. Currently I have 3/4" clearance. The spacer configuration I want to run would leave 1/4" clearance. I could probably make another spacer configuration work and that would leave 3/8" clearance.

My thinking is that you don't really need much clearance, but it does still seem sketch to be that close...? I've read people having as little as 1mm?

Maxx Mazda
01-21-2016, 08:59 PM
If it's a coil on strut suspension (macpherson style) then the lower part of the strut will move with the wheel, so a very small clearance can be used. On my Protege I think I only have about 3-4mm between the tire and the strut and it's given me no problems.

gregrego
01-21-2016, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
If it's a coil on strut suspension (macpherson style) then the lower part of the strut will move with the wheel, so a very small clearance can be used. On my Protege I think I only have about 3-4mm between the tire and the strut and it's given me no problems.

Yup, as long as there is space you're ok. I was 2-3mm on my MR2.

NoPulp
01-22-2016, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
It's sort of a modified macpherson. It uses the same style strut but spring is separate. But yes the wheel and strut move together.

Did more research and I should be fine... unless I try to squeeze coil overs in there. Not sure what I'll do at that point. How do people put such big wheels/tires on the front of the sn95...

tirebob
01-22-2016, 09:23 AM
If it doesn't touch, it doesn't touch... Roll on sir!

EK 2.0
01-22-2016, 09:58 AM
Originally posted by tirebob

If it doesn't touch, it doesn't touch... Roll on sir!

:thumbsup:

eglove
01-22-2016, 02:33 PM
I've 1mm / 1 piece of paper clearance in the front lol. It's tight but no problems

flipstah
01-23-2016, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by eglove
I've 1mm / 1 piece of paper clearance in the front lol. It's tight but no problems

That's me right now lol.