PDA

View Full Version : failing a course twice

ahmadg
02-01-2016, 02:47 PM
I have a failed a course twice in the program that I am trying to transfer into. Would I be able to take that course again? The course in question is a prerequisite for my fourth year courses. I checked the UofC website and it says " A student attaining an "F" grade in a course may be granted supplemental privileges only once for that course. Any student who fails a course once, then attains an "F" grade after repeating the same course, will be required to withdraw from the DVM program." Has anyone failed a course twice and was allowed to retake it?

killramos
02-01-2016, 02:55 PM
Sounds pretty cut and dry to me.

You know, there are people in the school who can answer this question for you definitively.

However after bombing a course twice in a row i doubt you will be granted much leniency.

Neil4Speed
02-01-2016, 03:00 PM
I disagree, I think if you go through the due process, plead your case, explain what went wrong, sob story etc, respect for the people your talking to - they will probably let you do it again.

Schools are in the business of making money, students dropping out doesn't make them any money.

D'z Nutz
02-01-2016, 03:08 PM
MIvQjNfBpG8

rage2
02-01-2016, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Neil4Speed
I disagree, I think if you go through the due process, plead your case, explain what went wrong, sob story etc, respect for the people your talking to - they will probably let you do it again.

Schools are in the business of making money, students dropping out doesn't make them any money.
This. I withdrew from Math 271 twice, didn't go to class or study at all, and was going to fail. Needed to talk to the faculty and give them a sob story to get permission to take it a 3rd time where I paid attention.

theken
02-01-2016, 03:46 PM
I take it you aren't paying for your own schooling?

dirtsniffer
02-01-2016, 04:04 PM
ya, they will likely allow you take a course a third time, but you will need to talk to the registrar and department head.

How do you fail a course twice?

Mibz
02-01-2016, 04:13 PM
Schools are in the business of making money, students dropping out doesn't make them any money. Bingo.

ExtraSlow
02-01-2016, 05:48 PM
The department or faculty office can help you with these questions. It'll probably take some kind of sob story or grovelling.

Street_Soldier
02-01-2016, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by rage2

This. I withdrew from Math 271 twice, didn't go to class or study at all, and was going to fail. Needed to talk to the faculty and give them a sob story to get permission to take it a 3rd time where I paid attention.

This. It seems to be a pretty common story in cpsc so they are pretty understanding. In Haskyne I heard similar stories about Fin 317 but it was much much harder to to get approval but it's been done.

gqmw
02-01-2016, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Street_Soldier

This. It seems to be a pretty common story in cpsc so they are pretty understanding. In Haskyne I heard similar stories about Fin 317 but it was much much harder to to get approval but it's been done.

Agree with this. I heard of so many people retake cpsc courses multiple times.

For Haskayne, I believe if you fail any class twice they kick you out of Haskayne for a year. Then after a year you can get back in and retake the course.

But both require talking to Dean and such.

Jlude
02-01-2016, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
MIvQjNfBpG8

:rofl: This is all I could picture in my head when I read the OP. Of course it would be posted.

dandia89
02-02-2016, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
ya, they will likely allow you take a course a third time, but you will need to talk to the registrar and department head.

How do you fail a course twice?

one of my buddies had to retake fluids 2, both times with bauwens. felt bad for the guy, he failed twice. luckily there was another prof teaching it on his third try and he got an A :nut:

cycosis
02-02-2016, 03:24 PM
I had to redo intro stats a 3rd time. Never failed but got C- the first, then D the 2nd. Never went to class or did homework. Go figure. Most people fuck up a bit in their first couple of years. Went to the Dean, explained that I recognize I made some poor choices, and I am requesting a 3rd shot. It also helped that I put a semester of straight A`s under my belt before I went to talk to her to show her proof that I was serious.

Pacman
02-02-2016, 04:24 PM

Was that discrete math? I hated that class.

asp integra
02-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by theken
I take it you aren't paying for your own schooling?

I lol'd

BigDL
02-05-2016, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Pacman

Was that discrete math? I hated that class.

Took it once with another prof, dropped it half way though. Took it with Thi and everything made sense.

bart
02-06-2016, 08:21 AM

only twice? haha i win

T Dinh, REPEAT AGAIN

hahahahahahaha

botox
02-06-2016, 12:58 PM
Like other guys have mentioned, if you get a third shot try to get a different instructor. Different teaching styles can make a huge difference. Or if you are just being lazy and not paying attention, kick yourself in the ass and try to do better.

FixedGear
02-06-2016, 03:13 PM
Look, university courses are a cakewalk, you almost have to TRY to fail. If you've failed twice, you're simply not applying yourself. Either get your shit together or stop wasting everyone's time. :dunno:

dandia89
02-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by FixedGear
Look, university courses are a cakewalk, you almost have to TRY to fail. If you've failed twice, you're simply not applying yourself. Either get your shit together or stop wasting everyone's time. :dunno:

impress me more with your intelligence

Swank
02-08-2016, 12:17 PM
Students being allowed to retry until they get it done wouldn't bode well for the school's reputation though, even a blind squirrel eventually finds a nut. Regardless, I wouldn't expect there are many that would try a course more than twice.

rx7_turbo2
02-09-2016, 09:13 PM
Confirmed. Fixedgear = Thales :rofl:

03ozwhip
02-19-2016, 04:57 PM
I'm gonna have to side with fixedthales on this one. I think that if you just didn't try and you made poor choices, Buck the fuck up. If you are just not getting it, move on and try something else.

rx7_turbo2
02-20-2016, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
I'm gonna have to side with fixedthales on this one. I think that if you just didn't try and you made poor choices, Buck the fuck up. If you are just not getting it, move on and try something else.

I know a coulple pretty smart people who had to retake a class before they finished. Sometimes it's just that particular content, or the instructor, or shit outside of school. I don't think you should be allowed to just keep taking a class till you pass, but I don't have an issue with there being some type of procedure in place for the Dean to allow a third attempt if a student pleads their case.

Now if your constantly struggling more than you're thriving, sure time to change paths. And yes if you need a 3rd because you failed your 2nd by not learning from the poor choices and lack of effort on your 1st, zero fucks given.

dirtsniffer
02-20-2016, 09:02 AM
Fixed gear formerly known as non linear.

Do you think thales would make a new name about a former of excersize?