PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 32 bit ultrabook

atgilchrist
02-01-2016, 10:55 PM
Because reasons, I need to run Windows 7 32 bit for my work comp, and sourcing one thought the company leaves me with a 3 year old Lenovo model at $1200, no thanks.

We can run any computer we want as long as it runs the aforementioned W7 32 bit, so looking for a modern ultrabook that I can install it on. Love my wife's Surface, but that a no go, as the drivers for the type cover don't work, so any other ideas would be appreciated!

firebane
02-01-2016, 10:59 PM
1) Why does it need to be 32bit? Drivers? Software?

2) Check manufacturer site I bet they have 32 bit drivers so a new OS is far cheaper than a new laptop.

atgilchrist
02-02-2016, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the reply!

1- old skool software, that I'm told we'll use until MS actually discontinues W7 support.
2- need a new laptop anyways, power supply on my current ones is shot.

LilDrunkenSmurf
02-02-2016, 08:11 AM
I think he's asking why 32bit over 64bit, as the 64bit version can utilize more RAM, and can run any 32bit software without issue.

BigMass
02-03-2016, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by atgilchrist
Because reasons, I need to run Windows 7 32 bit for my work comp

no you don't. There is no reason

Xtrema
02-03-2016, 06:20 PM
Can you run it as a VM?

Is there a hardware reason?

I know someone whose company will support VMs on their personal (but subsidized) laptops due to hardware/software issue.

But the limitation is VM will only ever connect back to corporate network via VPN. No physical connection at office allowed.

BigDL
02-03-2016, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by LilDrunkenSmurf
I think he's asking why 32bit over 64bit, as the 64bit version can utilize more RAM, and can run any 32bit software without issue.

Not all 32 bit software will run correctly, for example products that are designed to run on top of other software like AutoCAD. 32 bit version won't work with 64 bit version of AutoCAD.

colsankey
02-03-2016, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by BigMass

We have a number of legacy apps that the company wont move to 64bit versions, at this time, that wont run in vm.

Its not unheard of

:dunno:

Xtrema
02-03-2016, 06:48 PM

We tried to modernize but could not on some stuff. Some supplier has provided hardware that are in 20 year depreciation cycle and software provided bricks the hardware if done in any version of Windows but XP.

And no, the vendor is no longer in business. So there is no one is there to redevelop. And it's expensive enough that upgrade ahead of depreciation is prohibitive.

We stockpile XP machines and isolate them just so the hardware can be supported.

BigMass
02-03-2016, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema

We tried to modernize but could not on some stuff. Some supplier has provided hardware that are in 20 year depreciation cycle and software provided bricks the hardware if done in any version of Windows but XP.

And no, the vendor is no longer in business. So there is no one is there to redevelop. And it's expensive enough that upgrade ahead of depreciation is prohibitive.

We stockpile XP machines and isolate them just so the hardware can be supported.

dang, seems to me maintaining hardware that old you're running into antique status and would be more expensive to maintain in the long run than to completely upgrade to new stuff. I cant imagine hardware that's so far out of compatibility range unless it's purely industrial.

pheoxs
02-03-2016, 07:22 PM
Windows keys do not differentiate between 32bit and 64bit. Buy any laptop you want with ultimate 64bit and then reinstall 32bit over it (you'll lose any ram in excess of 4gb though

Best bet is VMware though, we use tons of ancient legacy shit at work and I've never come across anything not working in VMware unless it isn't setup correctly

atgilchrist
02-03-2016, 09:29 PM
Go offline for a day and I miss all this! There's no good reason to have to have old software except the insurance industry is run by actuaries and dinosaurs. We have to run a supplied Windows 7 image on our computers, but can source whatever hardware we want.

This is also a company that still forces us to use Lotus Notes as an email client, and only gave up CDS when the software supporter refused to update it any more, so we finally went to Salesforce.

Blood pressure rising...

Xtrema
02-04-2016, 01:03 AM
unless it's purely industrial.

bingo, good thing is there are less and less everyday and should be all gone in about 5-6 years.