PDA

View Full Version : My wife is looking for a really good camera (DSLR), but doesn't know where to start?

ZMan2k2
02-05-2016, 08:29 PM
Like it says, where to begin when looking for a camera. We haven't shopped for anything more than a P/S in years, and camera tech has improved a lot. What I'm going to do is post her questions, desires, and some cameras that she's looking at, and I'd love some advice on where to start. Thanks.

Types of photos:

Low-light photos (i.e. evening, inside restaurants, when I don’t want a flash to wash things out)

Moving subject (i.e. dogs running in backyard, children playing)

Nature shots (i.e. close-up of flowers)

Creative shots (i.e. focus on something in the background with foreground blurry)

Scenery (i.e. buildings, landscapes)

Looking for:

Manual focus option, preferably using lens ring (would love to have a switch on side of camera body for auto or manual)

B&W option (switch would be great – not sure if they do this anymore)

The smaller the better (for travel, sightseeing)

Lots of fancy options not necessary

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/webresource/Images/details_234x234/1331100381_9126B004_1.jpg

Canon EOS Rebel T5 18-55IS II 5,400 reward miles

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/webresource/Images/details_234x234/1330900439_8595B004_1.jpg

Canon EOS Rebel T5i 18-55mm IS STM Kit7,800 reward miles

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/webresource/Images/details_234x234/1331050910_34101.jpg

Nikon 1 AW1 Compact Digital Camera - Silver7,800 reward miles

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/webresource/Images/details_234x234/1331370808_34257_1.jpg

Nikon 1 J5 Mirrorless Digital Camera with 10-30mm Lens - Silver5,925 reward miles

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/webresource/Images/details_234x234/1331370813_32020_1.jpg

Nikon COOLPIX P610 Compact Digital Camera - Black4,850 reward miles

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/webresource/Images/details_234x234/1331050881_33879.jpg

Nikon D3300 DSLR Kit - Black6,200 reward miles

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/webresource/Images/details_234x234/1331420473_33884_1.jpg

Nikon D5300 AF-S DX 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 VR II Kit8,400 reward miles

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/webresource/Images/details_234x234/1331370742_33900_1.jpg

Nikon D5500 with 18-55mm VR II Lens Kit - Black 9,400 reward miles

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/webresource/images/1331050821_ILCE5000LB_325x3.jpg

SONY® a5000 Digital Compact System Camera with 16-50mm Lens4,500 reward miles

https://www.airmiles.ca/arrow/webresource/Images/details_234x234/1331420438_DSCRX100M3_1.jpg

SONY® DSC-RX100M III Cyber-Shot Digital Camera - Black7,600 reward miles

D'z Nutz
02-05-2016, 09:17 PM
INB4 Mitsu's Canon's 7 year old sensor technology comment.

Half of the cameras you've listed aren't even DSLRs. I'd narrow down your selection down to the three Nikon Dxxxx cameras.

ZMan2k2
02-05-2016, 09:37 PM
I guess DSLR isn't top priority, but the things I posted at the top, her wish list, are. Are there any specific reasons the Nikon D series is where we should focus?

msommers
02-05-2016, 10:25 PM
What's your budget? How savvy is she with cameras?

Sony just announced a new camera, the Sony A6300, that would be pretty amazing! Of course there is the Sony A7 series that could work but this really increases the price. These both would require the purchase of a lens to go with it if a kit lens isn't provided (which usually suck anyways).

Since you mentioned small and light (especially for travel), I think this really highlights the move to mirrorless and away from DSLR. I would say something like an RX100 but if manually focusing the lens is something she is wanting, that isn't going to work. If she really doesn't care about manually focusing, RX100 would be my go to. It's a very good general use camera and is small.

blitz
02-05-2016, 10:35 PM
You either need to high grade that requirements list or be prepared to spend 3-4K on a DSLR and 4-5 lenses.

NoPulp
02-05-2016, 11:52 PM
I have the T5, it's a good camera to learn on. Making the jump from "point and shoot" cameras does require learning. Don't use auto and instead practice a lot, it'll take a bit before you get satisfactory pictures.

Your "type of photos" are mostly lens selection and practice of technique. Use the kit lens to get use to the camera. Then you can buy lenses afterwards to achieve your needs. Investing in as best glass as you can reasonably afford is a good idea when you get to that point.

Your "looking for" are pretty achievable. The small and light depends on your definition, dslr won't typically be small or light. My t5 isn't too bad, a bit bulky, it's all my lenses that weigh a lot though.

Mitsu3000gt
02-06-2016, 01:38 AM
We need a budget (or are you set on using airmiles?). Also if you want to do all the things listed well, that means multiple lenses and more $$$. If you try get away with a single "do everything" lens you're probably going to be disappointed in several areas.

Based on your wife's list she sounds like a beginner - without more information, you'll probably want to start with a mid-range body and 1-2 lenses and slowly build off that over time as she learns.

finboy
02-06-2016, 08:02 AM
I picked up a canon sl1 and am happy with it for learning on. It's basically the t5i without the swing out screen, less crosshair focus points, and a few other small things, but it is tiny and takes the same lenses as other canon dslr's. The t5i can do q burst mode of 5fps as opposed to the 4 of the sl1, but it should still meet your needs.

http://static.bhphotovideo.com/explora/explora/sites/default/files/SL1-T5i-top-comp.jpg

Based on your requirements (low light, fast pictures, autofocus/manual) it might be worth budgeting for a couple of lenses as well. Others might have suggestions for Nikon, Sony, etc. Keeping on budget, the newer stm canon 1.8 50mm might be a good fit.

I've heard great things about sony's mirrorless line, so I would definitely look at those too. I believe they are coming out with new lenses this year, which helps as you would need an adapter ring to run some other brands with them otherwise.

ZMan2k2
02-06-2016, 08:31 AM
This is all great info. Thanks. Keep it coming.

As for budget, we were hoping to use Airmiles, we have a ton. Why not use 'em.

Lenses, right. Never considered need for multiple lenses for different shots. I'll mention that to her, but I'll let her read this thread, and she can respond to your questions, and advice using my account, and we can get a little firmer on some of her wants and needs.

RealJimmyJames
02-06-2016, 09:12 AM
For travelling, if you aren't already heavily into photography as a hobby, go mirrorless and get something smaller. Having an entire backpack full of photo gear is something you really need to consider. I hated it. I'm actually looking at a Fuji X100t for this purpose. Excellent sensor.

Ken Rockwell Review of Fuji X100t (http://www.kenrockwell.com/fuji/x100t.htm)

ZMan2k2
02-06-2016, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames
For travelling, if you aren't already heavily into photography as a hobby, go mirrorless and get something smaller. Having an entire backpack full of photo gear is something you really need to consider. I hated it. I'm actually looking at a Fuji X100t for this purpose. Excellent sensor.

Thanks! I'll point her at that review, it's got some great sample photo's, one's that fit her criteria. And not travelling with a big bag of lens' is something I'd like, because I KNOW I'd be the packhorse for the camera bag. We're going to Paris in May, so she's looking now. That review is great.

The_Penguin
02-06-2016, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by RealJimmyJames

That is a great looking mirrorless. I'd definitely read a few ore reviews though, Rockwell can be a little, well just check a few more. :)

msommers
02-06-2016, 12:50 PM
Since The Penguin is being really nice, I'll be an asshole for the sake of the team :D

Rockwell notoriously generates a lot of false claims and statements to drive traffic to his page. If you want to know the dimensions of the camera, it's a great place to look. Otherwise, check elsewhere.

Fuji has been producing some really great stuff as of late - I'm glad someone else mentioned it as I totally forgot!

Also I see that these are your choices for Airmiles if that is the only way you're wanting to go...

msommers
02-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Oops didn't attach...

Personally I'd go the Sony RX100 III way unless she's super gung-ho about manually focusing for some reason.

ExtraSlow
02-06-2016, 01:51 PM
Rockwell for sure sees that page primarily as a way for HIM to make money, not as an unbiased review site. Still, it's much less confusing than other sites, and his editorializing is pretty helpful for a newbie.

EDIT, just checked, that Fuji X100t is $1300 bucks on both amazon.ca and vistek. Does that seem insanely expensive, or is there something wicked about this camera?

msommers
02-06-2016, 02:17 PM
Given our crappy exchange rate right now, that's a pretty decent price lol.

The Olympus OM-D E-M1 is another one to check out.

Nevertheless, all these suggestions are moot if the OP prefers to use Airmiles.

The_Penguin
02-06-2016, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Since The Penguin is being really nice, I'll be an asshole for the sake of the team :D

:rofl: :rofl: Thanks, I've already been enough of an asshole this week. :)

Some gems from the review:

"The X100T's flash system had the uncanny ability to give perfect flash fill in every light, not just in daylight like a DSLR. From daylight to moonlight, the X100T balances its flash perfectly on the first shot and every shot so I can capture life as it unfolds."

He's talking about the tiny built-in flash. Wow, must be some new super technology.

" I never have to futz with a lenscap like an amateur. "
"I use no tripods. They went out with Kodachrome 200 back in 1986."

Hard to take the review seriously with statements like those.
Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the camera is great, just check more reputable reviews.

Mitsu3000gt
02-06-2016, 04:55 PM
Ken's website is a joke, I go there sometimes only because he has the dates for every release if I'm checking a reference. His information beyond specs can all be taken with a grain of salt, and he often says absurd things to get website traffic (people seem to like to make a thread about it every time he makes a ridiculous comment, and it drives traffic to him).

Honestly I would save yourself some hassle and just do one of 2 things:

1) Get the Sony RX100 III and forego your "Moving Subject" requirement. Still a P&S but probably the best P&S there is overall. Very portable, full manual control, etc. Sensor isn't huge but it's very good. Has pretty well every feature you could ever want, and you'll never feel like it's too big to take with you. In the future if you get a DSLR anyway, you will already have the perfect backup/pocket camera.

2) Get the Nikon D5500, learn with the kit lens and work towards a small lens collection to properly satisfy your shooting requirements. By far the best sensor and autofocus out of the available Air miles models, and is the newest. Fairly robust feature set that should keep you going for a while. Nikon has a large selection of fairly cheap, high bang for the buck lenses to grow into as well.

The Nikon J5 and AW1 are the only mirrorless cameras there that have the AF chops to handle motion well, however I wouldn't recommend either as your main camera, especially since neither has a viewfinder and lens selection is limited. Sensor is on the smaller side too (1", like the Sony RX100). They make fantastic backup/secondary cameras but I wouldn't want one as my primary camera.

The Sony A5000 is old, slow, and has no viewfinder. Would not recommend.

Forget the Nikon Coolpix P610 entirely.

The Nikon D7200 and D7100 kits are a rip off for that many miles (Take off a zero to see where they are pricing it in regular dollars), I wouldn't go that route either in this particular situation unless you really have a ton of miles and don't care.

ZMan2k2
02-06-2016, 07:28 PM
It's the wife here. Thanks for the advice so far. I thought I would add some info that might help you tailor your recommendations.

Experience level: Beginner level at digital photography. My father was a photographer, so I learned a lot from him, but he only used film cameras.

Budget: I would love to use our Airmiles since we have so many. However, if none of Airmiles' offerings will fit my needs and keep me happy for at least a couple years, I would purchase a camera.

Expectations: As noted in the OP. One clarification - I'm not looking for a "really good camera" because I realize this will not be in my price range. If I want something "really" good I would look into getting a digital back for one of Dad's Hasselblads, but that's not what I need right now. I need something reasonably portable for siteseeing (i.e. I would not take more than two lenses, and all-in-one would be even better). I could bend on high-speed photo quality, but would really like decent quality low-light photos, and I really want the creative control that manual focusing allows. After seeing the DSLR's & some mirrorless models (the Nikon 1J5 was unfortunately not in stock) in store, I love the smaller size of the mirrorless, but I don't know if the Nikon 1J5 has a lens ring for manual focusing. The idea of "focusing" on a screen doesn't appeal to me. Old school, I guess.

One final note, I didn't pay much attention to the Sony DSC-RX100M III, but it looks interesting. My current camera is a Sony, but it's dying and low MP's by today's standards.

msommers
02-06-2016, 07:34 PM
Hmmm....I think you're better off going outside the Airmiles route, or purchase the Sony RX100 and see how it fairs before going out and spending money?

I like the A7S with Zeiss lenses combo! Beautiful low-light, manual-focus combo :D

Most DSLR lenses from Canon and Nikon are complete shit at manually focusing, to be honest. Especially when comparing old manual-only lenses from the film days and Zeiss lenses.

Mitsu3000gt
02-06-2016, 10:34 PM
Are you really set on manual focusing a lot? I'm not sure how it adds anything at all creatively, the picture is going to be the same whether you MF of AF, except the AF shot is more likely to actually be in focus in many situations. Unless you have some cool old lenses you like or want to use, or are planning on investing in Zeiss or similar, I can't think of many reasons you'd want to be MF'ing too often. Anyways MF isn't bad on most decent DSLRs, but there are some cameras more suited to it if you are going to be relying on MF lenses a lot.

I also think you should go down to The Camera Store (sounds like you may already have?) and handle all these cameras you're thinking about - you might notice something that really stands out one way or the other, or you might be able to narrow it down.

After your description and if you're wanting to use Airmiles, I wouldn't change my recommendation. Grab the RX100 III to fool around with and then use it as a backup camera to whatever you replace it with in a few years, or get the D5500 kit if you want something more substantial that will easily do what you're wanting.

msommers
02-06-2016, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
I'm not sure how it adds anything at all creatively, the picture is going to be the same whether you MF of AF, except the AF shot is more likely to actually be in focus in many situations.

I really disagree with the first part here, Mark. Manually focusing with the proper tools can lead to a lot of different, quick thinking creativity that is not immediately apparent with autofocus. I say this because when I got my first Zeiss lens, I noticed this immediately and still feel the same way. I also find more in-tune with the camera and the experience more enjoyable. The closet analogy I can think of is driving a manual vehicle and it feels more fun/interesting than an automatic - it's overall not as quick as the latest tech but the experience is different. Clearly, a subjective topic.

With fast lenses like 1.4-2.0 lenses, I will agree that on most modern DSLRs that getting absolute focus wide open can be tricky and inconsistent although not impossible by any means. It takes a lot more skill and in some cases, forgiving cameras. Ronny Olson on Flickr can capture moving insects with his D700 with incredible accuracy so it certainly is possible. I can do it every once in awhile and I do find I'm getting better using the VF and the green dot. See here at f/1.4 on a moving subject:

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1469/23508013994_82b9df39ff_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/BPjHy7)20151224-DSC_1625 (https://flic.kr/p/BPjHy7) by msommers00 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/54199117@N03/), on Flickr

The downside of using Zeiss glass is the price difference - it's significant for a manual-only lens. However, I've caught the Zeiss bug and like the experience and what I see straight out of the camera. The photo there is with a Voigt 58 1.4, which I really like but would love to replace with the Nikon variant. It's also about $1,500 more, however!

Mitsu3000gt
02-06-2016, 11:15 PM
A good quality MF lens feels damn amazing (the MF rings on cheap lenses are shit), and I get that it can be a fun element to add, but I still don't see how it adds anything creatively. I can see what it looks like to have different areas of the image in focus/not in focus in a split second with AF as well if that's what you mean. If manually focusing helps you think more creatively somehow, and you simply enjoy it more, then I totally get that, but your image will be the same if you MF or AF (assuming you want it in focus). We probably just have different definitions there - I see it more as a tool, since my creative vision doesn't change whatsoever if I turn my wrist or press a button to focus where I want to.

In my mind that picture would be identical if you used AF, only difference being AF can continually compensate both your movement and the dog's increasing the chance of a keeper. I would think with a person, pet, etc. you would be focusing on the eyes the vast majority of the time, AF is just going to get you there faster and more accurately.

Anyways, just two different ways of thinking I guess. Whatever's more enjoyable, by all means stick to that.

Yeah the Nikon 58/1.4 is a cool lens but it's crazy expensive. It has a very unique look to it. It's not really my thing but the people who have it seem to love it. Lots of guys are using it with the Df producing some pretty awesome stuff.

msommers
02-06-2016, 11:29 PM
:thumbsup: :)

ZMan2k2
02-07-2016, 05:31 PM
Can anyone comment on focusing on a touch screen versus using a viewfinder and lens ring? Maybe I shouldn't knock it til I try it?

Mitsu3000gt
02-07-2016, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by ZMan2k2
Can anyone comment on focusing on a touch screen versus using a viewfinder and lens ring? Maybe I shouldn't knock it til I try it?

Try it for yourself for sure, but personally I hate it. I much prefer the viewfinder experience to tapping on the screen like a smartphone. Pretty subjective though - if you like it, great.

ZMan2k2
02-07-2016, 05:54 PM
Fair enough. I'll head over to Sanael sometime this week and check them out in person.

msommers
02-07-2016, 06:29 PM
Go to The Camera Store. Saneal blows donkey balls

The_Penguin
02-07-2016, 07:50 PM

Kind of a gimmick, until you need to shoot over a crowd, or you're old and shooting with the camera on the ground, then it's very handy.
Also really great for video.

blitz
02-07-2016, 09:00 PM
Touch screen focusing can be pretty slick, especially on body with fast autofocus.

You should also consider micro four thirds (m43). Olympus and Panasonic make some great bodies and there's a huge selection of glass available that's fairly reasonably priced.

Mitsu3000gt
02-08-2016, 01:12 AM
Saneal is fine if you're just checking out gear but make sure you don't buy anything there - worst camera store in town IMO.

ZMan2k2
02-08-2016, 05:50 PM
I finally saw the Sony in person, and I just don't like how it feels in hand. Unfortunately I still have not found a Nikon 1J5 in store, so I can't really grasp how this manual focus "on screen" works. For something similar to the 1J5, I've had Olympus OM-D em10 recommended ($600). I checked it out in store and I like the feel and lens ring focusing. I also love the size for my current needs. The guy at Sanael says for making prints (4X6 to 8X10), the lower MP & larger sensor would actually make my prints sharper than the higher MP/smaller sensor 1J5. Downside being I pay out of pocket, because Airmiles doesn't carry this. Any thoughts on Nikon 1J5 vs Olympus OM-D em10?

I also was recommended the Pentax K-500 (old model) for a cheap way to get into DSLR's ($400), and apparently old (all the way back to the 60's) Pentax lenses can be used - which I know Dad has in his collection.

Mitsu3000gt
02-08-2016, 07:16 PM
I finally saw the Sony in person, and I just don't like how it feels in hand. Unfortunately I still have not found a Nikon 1J5 in store, so I can't really grasp how this manual focus "on screen" works. For something similar to the 1J5, I've had Olympus OM-D em10 recommended ($600). I checked it out in store and I like the feel and lens ring focusing. I also love the size for my current needs. The guy at Sanael says for making prints (4X6 to 8X10), the lower MP & larger sensor would actually make my prints sharper than the higher MP/smaller sensor 1J5. Downside being I pay out of pocket, because Airmiles doesn't carry this. Any thoughts on Nikon 1J5 vs Olympus OM-D em10?

I also was recommended the Pentax K-500 (old model) for a cheap way to get into DSLR's ($400), and apparently old (all the way back to the 60's) Pentax lenses can be used - which I know Dad has in his collection.

Lower MP is never better, all else being equal, with regard to print quality. Downsizing a high MP image will never be worse than the lower MP image, all else being equal (and can help a lot, especially with hiding noise). On a 4X6 - 8X10 though it's unlikely you'd notice much of a difference regardless of the camera aside from more extreme scenarios. He either explained it poorly or doesn't know what he's talking about. Sensor size also has nothing to do with sharpness of a print. Print "sharpness" will be a function of technique, resolution, processing, print medium, and lens quality.

I'd forget the Pentax unless being able to use some of your dad's old lenses is a huge plus for you. The cameras just aren't great, and the system support on the modern side is average at best.

The OMD EM10 is 2 years old already but is a decent camera if you don't need to shoot action. It uses a M43 sensor (2X crop factor compared to full frame), so it's bigger than the J5 and RX100 (2.7Xcrop factor) but smaller than the D5500 and similar (1.5x crop factor). Never been a huge fan of these cameras as they are way too small to be comfortable in my hands but I love the way they look. Modern lens support isn't at the level of the main DSLR brands, but as long as they have what you need that isn't a big deal.

The J5 trades a viewfinder and a bit of sensor size for speed. It will shoot at 20 FPS with full AF between frames, and it actually works really well - not even the latest $8,500 DSLR's can do that. Obviously it's not an apples to apples comparison, but it's extremely impressive for what it is, especially at such a low price. Downsides are lens selection unless you want an all-in-one solution, possibly ergonomics(subjective), and no viewfinder. You can, however, use most Nikon F-mount lenses on it with an adapter (FT-1) and a 2.7x crop factor making for some interesting combinations. Again, I probably wouldn't want it as my only camera, but it does some very impressive things and makes a great secondary camera.

If you're going to look at mirrorless, one thing that I think you should get comfortable with is if you are ok with electronic viewfinders. Some people love them, some people hate them. Since they do not have anywhere near the dynamic range of your eye, they start to look awful when the light gets dim or in high contrast situations. They also have noticeable lag, so shooting fast subjects can be more difficult. On the plus side, you can get things like focus peaking with an EVF, and you always see 100% of what the sensor sees. When you're in the store, take it to a dark area and see what happens, and point it at a bright window and see what happens.

The D5500 is still a more capable camera overall than all of the above IMHO, great lens selection (especially in the "bang for the buck" range), largest & best sensor, it's a current model, and you can use your Airmiles. It also meets every one of your expectations along with the latest tech. It's primary disadvantage compared to other things you're looking at is physical size (though still very compact by DSLR standards), but often that means better ergonomics (subjective).

If you go down to The Camera Store you can probably get all of these side by side except maybe the J5. Most importantly you need to like the way it handles, and some of the other points might be moot if you don't find it comfortable to use.

Just my thoughts anyway.

msommers
02-08-2016, 09:36 PM
Which Sony did you look at?

The Olympus is a great camera, and I see (just now) that they have a newer version out. Not sure what the differences are for an extra $300.

http://www.thecamerastore.com/8862-Olympus-OM-D-E-M10-Mark-with-M-Zuiko-14-42mm-EZ-f3-5-5-6.aspx

http://www.thecamerastore.com/6608-Olympus-OM-D-E-10-with-M-Zuiko-14-42mm-f3-5-5-6.aspx

Curiosity got the better of me lol. Their comments seem quite applicable to your search however.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/bang-for-the-buck-olympus-om-d-e-m10-ii-review/6

The continuous focus is a concern if sports or faster moving subjects is a must.

As I'm writing this, I think you need to be honest about your actual priorities. To get nail all the things on your list, it's just gonna get expensive. No free lunches here.

1) Does size matter? :D (ergonomics, carrying around in a touristy area, insert how it feels in the hand joke)
2) Are you mainly shooting landscapes or your kids playing sports?
3) Are you inside a lot or mostly outside?
4) Do you want to bother with a tripod ever?
5) Is manually focusing a really big want?

I will say this much about the travel aspect. I've travelled a fair amount and where I go will dictate what I bring from now on. My last trip to NYC, I brought my DSLR because I didn't want to miss anything. What I didn't appreciate was that any street or subway shots I was either too worried about having it out or too lazy to take it out of my backpack. When I went to Iceland? Totally different environment. If I go back to Europe, I likely wouldn't take it and go with a smaller setup like mirrorless or even an RX100 because it's mostly street or churches or landscape stuff. Another thing? Nightlife. I mean most people use their phones now but it's another thing to consider. Do you want to take your big camera when you go to the pub or having a nice dinner? Hell no.

taemo
02-09-2016, 05:12 AM
hasnt been mentioned yet but look into the Fuji X interchangeable system as well.

The X-E2 with the latest FW4.0 is alot faster and snappier than when it came out 2 years ago.
It has a RF style body and if you prefer a SLR style then Fuji has the X-T10.
The 18-55 kit lens is a great performer and if you want primes then there's the 35mm 1.4 or 2 or 27mm 2.8, later being a pancake lens.

best thing I like about Fuji is 90% of the time, JPEG files out of the camera is good enough for me, whether B&W, Classic Chrome or Velvia.

blitz
02-09-2016, 08:50 AM
The guy at Sanael says for making prints (4X6 to 8X10), the lower MP & larger sensor would actually make my prints sharper than the higher MP/smaller sensor 1J5.

Complete lie. Saneal Sucks. It's the camera equivalent of a sleezy used car dealer.

A side note, if you go with any mirrorless camera you can buy a cheap adapter to use your old Pentax Lenses on it, and you'll get better focus accuracy than using an actual Pentax DSLR.

Edit: I've shot almost exclusively manual focus lenses for years and I can't stress enough how shitty it is to use manual focus on an autofocus lens. Manual focus should honestly be 3rd or 4th tier priorities for anyone stepping into an advanced camera system for the first time.

blitz
02-09-2016, 08:53 AM
Shit.

ZMan2k2
02-10-2016, 02:40 PM
As I'm writing this, I think you need to be honest about your actual priorities. To get nail all the things on your list, it's just gonna get expensive. No free lunches here.

1) Does size matter? :D (ergonomics, carrying around in a touristy area, insert how it feels in the hand joke)
2) Are you mainly shooting landscapes or your kids playing sports?
3) Are you inside a lot or mostly outside?
4) Do you want to bother with a tripod ever?
5) Is manually focusing a really big want?

I will say this much about the travel aspect. I've travelled a fair amount and where I go will dictate what I bring from now on. My last trip to NYC, I brought my DSLR because I didn't want to miss anything. What I didn't appreciate was that any street or subway shots I was either too worried about having it out or too lazy to take it out of my backpack. When I went to Iceland? Totally different environment. If I go back to Europe, I likely wouldn't take it and go with a smaller setup like mirrorless or even an RX100 because it's mostly street or churches or landscape stuff. Another thing? Nightlife. I mean most people use their phones now but it's another thing to consider. Do you want to take your big camera when you go to the pub or having a nice dinner? Hell no. [/B][/QUOTE]

(Wife here) I totally agree.

1) Yes, size does matter.
;) Travel photos are the main thing I`ll be using this camera for, and like you, I want the ease of not needing to pull a big camera out for street shots and inside restaurants. Portability and ease of use is a must.

2) More landscapes
3) Both, but a bit more inside than out
4) No
5) Yes, but if it`s just not in the under $1K price range I`m okay without it as long as the AF is excellent.

Lots of options do not matter much to me. I tend to keep it simple.

At this point I`m primarily debating between these 2 mirrorless cameras:

Nikon 1J5 (free with Airmiles) - Pros: Free! More $ for Paris in a couple months. Good for action shots. Small. Cons: Manual focus might not be to my liking because it`s done on a screen (foreign concept to me).

Olympus OM-D E-M10 ($600) - Pros: Has a viewfinder, can manual focus with lens ring, larger sensor (presumably sharper prints). Cons: Mediocre action shots. Not free!

Not sure how they compare in low light settings, and I take a lot of low-light pics.

Mitsu3000gt
02-10-2016, 03:04 PM
If you've decided against a DSLR, I'd just grab one of the free cameras like the J5 (or RX100 III but sounds like you've ruled it out). If you don't like it after a while, no loss, you can sell it and put the money towards something different or use it as a backup. Being free is a pretty big plus, and Airmiles expire. There is a 10-100 lens (27-270mm equivalent) if you're looking for an all in one solution. It's also the only non-DSLR on the list with excellent AF in all situations, but no viewfinder is definitely a consideration.

How big do you want to print? I don't think you would notice any significant difference between the camera's you're looking at under most conditions. Again, sensor size does not determine print sharpness - forget everything the Saneal guy told you haha.

msommers
02-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Ok now we're getting somewhere!

I think it boils down to a couple attributes for your needs:

- Good high ISO performance
- Wide to standard focal lengths (full frame equiv. ~20mm-50mm - ish)
- Small
- Possibility to manual focus

If I were in your shoes, I would just get the Nikon with Airmiles as it sounds like you guys have lots. End of the day if that camera doesn't do what you want, just sell it and put that money towards something else.

What is that something else? Well my gut feeling is that a Fuji camera from their X-series lineup will be the best balance of things, including budget.

blitz
02-10-2016, 03:21 PM
Yup, just get the free J5 now and see if you like it before your trip. If not, throw it on kijiji and go with the Olympus.