PDA

View Full Version : Camera Insurance

msommers
02-20-2016, 12:31 AM
Curious who you guys use to insure your camera gear. I'm 99% sure I was told at some point my home insurance will not cover it because I use it for business purposes and need a separate policy.

Just wondering what is all out there for Canadians.

D'z Nutz
02-20-2016, 12:46 AM
My stuff is insured through my home insurance (Aviva).

Maybe it's time to shop around for a home insurance company that will cover your equipment. My last home insurer would only cover my gear as long as it didn't leave my place, but what good would that do me?

Home insurance is actually what made me switch over to Touchstone (auto insurance came a couple years later). Bill said my gear would be covered under my regular home insurance, regardless of whether I was using it for business or vacation or whatever, because I wasn't making enough money off of it to necessitate a separate policy. It might be a different story if most of your income is coming from it, but not in my case. Of course, good guy that Bill is, he tried to talk me out of switching cause the rate he was getting me was a whopping $10/year more than my previous insurer who wouldn't give me any useful coverage on my gear :rofl:

msommers
02-20-2016, 12:56 AM
Hmm it may seem confusion may be on my end as I'm also with Touchstone! I actually have been trying to set this up there under the impression it was some special scheduled policy addition but unfortunately have been unanswered. Perhaps it's worth trying again, especially if your business stuff is appropriately covered.

D'z Nutz
02-20-2016, 01:01 AM
Hmm... Well, this was a conversation I had with him 4 or 5 years ago. I don't know if anything has changed, but it was the only real important thing I wanted addressed. He asked me how much I made with my gear and when I told him, he promptly said don't worry about it. It might be worth bringing that conversation back up to see if it is still applicable.

blitz
02-20-2016, 09:30 AM
I've been looking into switching mine to business use, some good Canadian info here: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1410741

msommers
02-20-2016, 08:21 PM
Thanks, Ryan, this one sounds quite promising so far, I'll have to go through with a comb on it but really my coverage needs are very basic - I likely don't even need commercial liability.

https://photographer.frontrowinsurance.com/?__hssc=205234063.1.1456020949664&__hstc=205234063.7b57cceb2d16455e38c10137dd36ebf4.1456020949661.1456020949661.1456020949661.1&__hsfp=&hsCtaTracking=da977df3-2053-4f9b-a0ee-517f796d4463%7Cbf1f2f1c-dfbb-4f55-9ed6-2e10bdc5c7ab

gogreen
02-23-2016, 12:05 PM
^The price on that looks really good. I've been paying around $1,000 a year for a commercial policy but it looks like Front Row could get me something similar for less than half that.

Originally posted by D'z Nutz
My last home insurer would only cover my gear as long as it didn't leave my place, but what good would that do me?

I had heard the same, which is why we originally went with a separate commercial policy.

Go4Long
02-23-2016, 02:03 PM
My issue was actually with value, I told Bill's staff how much stuff I was traveling with and it suddenly became a HUGE premium...like $3000 a year.

I also found the front row policy and have used them since (haven't had to make a claim yet thankfully). Especially with how often I fly, and how much I fly with from a camera gear perspective, having the proper insurance is a small price to pay for the peace of mind.

msommers
02-23-2016, 02:05 PM
Sounds like I'll just go with that.

Do you guys carry liability? Given that any work I do is signed using a release form, I don't know how things could go sideways.

blitz
02-23-2016, 02:37 PM
I signed up for Frontrow, $400 for $40k in equipment coverage is way better than I'm getting as a rider on my house policy (for personal use).

gogreen
02-23-2016, 02:37 PM
My policy includes $2 million liability. Main concerns were third party injury, or damage to someone else's property.

I took a lighting course a few years ago and while shooting in an alley behind a business, the owner came out to ask what we were up to. I remember that the photographer teaching the course had to show proof that he had $2 million in liability coverage before the owner would let us proceed.

msommers
02-23-2016, 02:50 PM
I can't seem to find anywhere that specifies what exactly it covers with replacement costs. Theft, drops etc?

Sounds like coverage is worldwide but where they are prohibited to insure. I wonder where these places are?

Also this one for anyone wondering:

Property used underwater, in the air, or for stunts or pyrotechnics activities

There is NO coverage under this policy for equipment being used for pyrotechnic activities, stunts, while attached to an aircraft or watercraft unless declared and approved. This includes the use of UAV/Drones.

I should just contact them to get specifics about my needs as really, it's theft and dropping my stuff of a cliff, locally and abroad. But it sounds like if my camera goes for a swim, it won't be covered.

Go4Long
02-23-2016, 03:37 PM
if it goes for a swim while not physically attached to a watercraft or being used underwater it seems like it wouldn't fall under those exclusions.

msommers
02-23-2016, 05:43 PM
Front Row's customer service is excellent, they have responded quite quickly. I've cut a bunch of stuff out but essentially:

Accidentally dropping your equipment is not excluded under the policy

For any theft claims, a police report would need to be filed... Theft coverage is provided on a worldwide basis.

Chubb Canada (the Insurer) can't insure you in countries such Iran, North Korea, Sudan, Cuba and Syria.

With regards to the equipment coverage relating to the stunts, aircraft and watercraft, these would need to be reviewed and further underwritten by the Insurer on a case by case basis, depending on the type of activity and the severity of it...Depending on the type of activity and the severity, the Insurer may insist on an Additional Premium, higher deductible and/or offer a lower limit of insurance to cover the property in that case.

A stunt would be considered to be an activity with increased chance of physical loss or danger over everyday activities...rock and ice climbing activities would be considered stunts... need to review the activities on a case by case basis in order to approve and they may insist on an Additional Premium, higher deductible and/or offer a lower limit of insurance to cover the property in that case.

I followed up about specifics regarding the watercraft stuff, as I'd love to bring my gear on a kayaking trip! Sounds like it would be extra but I'm hoping it's at least an option (within reason).

Plus I don't need to submit all my serial numbers and such, just have a personal library of things, which I have already. Not bad!

Edit: Went ahead and started a policy too.