PDA

View Full Version : Mayan Riviera - Cenote tours?

Masked Bandit
03-10-2016, 09:41 AM
Hola Beyond, the wife and I are doing a week at a resort just North of Playa Del Carmen and we've stumbled across a couple of different cenote spots. I've never heard of this before so I'm wondering if anyone has been to a few different ones around the PDC area? Was there any place you went that you wouldn't bother going to again? Anything you wish you had spent more time at?

Since we're at it, I'm interested in hearing opinions on other random tourist things to do anywhere between Cancun & Tulum.

TIA

A790
03-10-2016, 09:46 AM
Xplor is pretty fun if you can get there early enough. :)

austic
03-10-2016, 10:12 AM
Dos ojos cenote is worth checking out. Its a good one for Snorkeling and swimming.

Xel Ha is a lot of fun as well with the lazy river and lagoon.

RealJimmyJames
03-10-2016, 10:58 AM
Did Hubiku as part of a tour to Chetchen-itza. Long-ass day in the bus, but was pleased with Hubiku. We had our lunch there, and the food was good, which was about all I cared about.

Haven't been to other cenotes to compare. But it looked like this when I was there:
http://www.caracolsuitehotels.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/hubiku-cenote-hr.jpg

Depending who you buy your tour from you should be able to negotiate a pretty decent discount if you have multiple people. We bought from a guy who was in the "La Isla" shopping centre.

Mibz
03-10-2016, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by austic
Xel Ha is a lot of fun as well with the lazy river and lagoon. I really liked Xel Ha as well.

lasimmon
03-10-2016, 11:12 AM
I did this one trip where it was repelling, zip-lining and snorkeling in a cenote. You start off at a little building on the side of the highway, then you load up into these 1940 type Army Jeep things that burn fuel at a crazy rate haha. And you rip through the Jungle and go the Cenotes and ziplining.

So fun.

01RedDX
03-10-2016, 12:57 PM

Masked Bandit
03-28-2016, 08:03 AM
So we're back and we ended up going to a place by the name of Aktun Chen as part of a multi-location all day tour (also included Tulum and snorkeling at Turtle Bay, Akumal).

I have no idea how this particular cenote compares to others but in my opinion, no trip to this part of the world would be complete without swimming / snorkeling in a cenote. This was easily the highlight of the trip for me. The water was refreshing (not cold, it was 23 degrees) and crystal clear. Our guides were fantastic and I would recommend it in an instant. Our next trip will definitely have at least one cenote excursion planned it. I did something similar in Cuba years ago but it wasn't nearly as good.

95EG6P
03-28-2016, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by 01RedDX
Our tour of Chichen Itza included a stop a Cenote Xkeken.

http://i.imgur.com/eAsq5qL.jpg

damn that looks sick