PDA

View Full Version : Headlight polishing

G-ZUS
03-14-2016, 09:19 PM
Does anyone on here have a polisher and know how to polish headlights? If so, pm me your price

jabjab
03-15-2016, 07:18 AM
I would be interested as well.

mr2mike
03-15-2016, 08:36 AM
How bad is it?
Usually a few treatments of a headlight restoration kit cleans them up. Most are hand polish as you don't want to melt the housing plastic.

revelations
03-15-2016, 09:02 AM
1000-2000 grit wet, hand sanding is all I did. Could go rougher if it was really bad.

G-ZUS
03-15-2016, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by mr2mike
How bad is it?
Usually a few treatments of a headlight restoration kit cleans them up. Most are hand polish as you don't want to melt the housing plastic.

Originally posted by revelations
1000-2000 grit wet, hand sanding is all I did. Could go rougher if it was really bad.

It's not too bad, a little hazy. Ill have to try the hand polishing. Does it work well?

I had a guy on here power polish my headlights on my old car a few years ago and they turned out next to new. (forgot his username)

Swank
03-15-2016, 09:30 AM
^I just did mine with the DIY Meguire's kit from Can Tire in the summer, took maybe 30 mins and they look good as new. Easier with a variable speed drill, but you can do it by hand too.

mr2mike
03-15-2016, 09:39 AM
There's no secret. But if you really want to open your wallet, I can stop by and do it for you for $80. ;)

zipdoa
03-15-2016, 10:11 AM
Everything you need to know.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/443547-DIY-Headlight-restoration-walk-through

DON'T forget to apply UV protectant after you're finished clearing up the lense. They will fog rapidly otherwise.

Zero102
03-15-2016, 10:54 AM
As for the UV protectant - I have tried a couple times using wipe-on coatings and they have all either gone hazy themselves or done nothing to protect the plastic from going all hazy. The last time around I used a clear paint over the headlights and 9 months with a couple car washes later it's still holding up great. The only problem is I didn't clean the lights very well before painting and they have some specks in the paint and it's a little rainbow-ey, but it is so much better than the haze I just don't care. I see that thread recommends Minwax Helmspar Urethane - has anybody on here tried using it?

NoPulp
03-15-2016, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Swank
^I just did mine with the DIY McGuire's kit from Can Tire in the summer, took maybe 30 mins and they look good as new. Easier with a variable speed drill, but you can do it by hand too.

+1 assuming you meant meguiars kit
The one with the drill attachment works very well.

bjstare
03-15-2016, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by zipdoa
Everything you need to know.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/443547-DIY-Headlight-restoration-walk-through

DON'T forget to apply UV protectant after you're finished clearing up the lense. They will fog rapidly otherwise.

Thanks for posting this.

I had success with the meguires kit, but my headlights have since frosted over again. I'm for sure going to try the helmsman spar x mineral spirits coating after this next time. :thumbsup:

revelations
03-15-2016, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

It's not too bad, a little hazy. Ill have to try the hand polishing. Does it work well?

I had a guy on here power polish my headlights on my old car a few years ago and they turned out next to new. (forgot his username)

Worked great for me.

Clean the lenses with a cleaner first; get some water and wet sand paper and go for it. Took an hr I think.

HomespunLobster
03-15-2016, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Worked great for me.

Clean the lenses with a cleaner first; get some water and wet sand paper and go for it. Took an hr I think.

And a good cleaner. I cleaned my one set of headlights that were yellowed (Good ol chevy) and after spraying and rinsing with spray nine they oozed the yellow and where white (foggy, but no longer yellow)

HiSpec
03-15-2016, 01:14 PM
Here's another detailed procedure...

uqOKmZ9mMfc

Swank
03-15-2016, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by NoPulp
assuming you meant meguiars kit Yep, that's just one of those names I can't spell :nut: thx :)