PDA

View Full Version : "First unread post" idle timer

TurboMedic
03-19-2016, 03:15 PM
I assume this is a vbulletin setting, but its a huge annoyance that detracts from browsing. The best way I can describe it is an idle timer, before the "first unread post" button goes away beside the thread title. Its just too short of an interval, if I step away from my laptop, or if I am typing a long reply, or if I click a link in a thread and read for a short bit, when I return to Beyond, all of the remaining threads no longer have a first unread post link, leaving me to click last reply, or go through the whole thread finding out what I read last. Can that be increased? This is the only board I'm on that does this!

jwslam
03-20-2016, 08:18 AM
I'm the opposite, I come back too soon!
There's a solution to my problems by marking posts as read before I leave though, not sure what your solution is.

TurboMedic
03-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by jwslam
I'm the opposite, I come back too soon!
There's a solution to my problems by marking posts as read before I leave though, not sure what your solution is.

You're thinking a different problem though. I'm saying I read a thread, click a link out of the thread, leaving it open in a tab, be idle on beyond for 15-20 min, return to beyond and all the subsequent "new thread" search pages no longer have the first unread quick link. like they've all expired. I have no issue with it generating new unread post searches

relyt92
03-20-2016, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by TurboMedic

You're thinking a different problem though. I'm saying I read a thread, click a link out of the thread, leaving it open in a tab, be idle on beyond for 15-20 min, return to beyond and all the subsequent "new thread" search pages no longer have the first unread quick link. like they've all expired. I have no issue with it generating new unread post searches I had this issue before too, what I do now seems kinda dumb but works for me. Open up new posts, and then open up everything that I want to read in a new tab, then go about reading/doing other stuff. Sometimes I end up with like 50 Beyond tabs open at once but it's fine by me.

rage2
03-20-2016, 03:47 PM
It's set to default 20 mins right now. This is the first time I've heard anyone think this is too low. I'll take a look at adjusting it on Monday.

ExtraSlow
03-20-2016, 04:11 PM
Is there reason that timer needs to exist at all? It's not like after 20 minutes those posts are any less "unread".

I have run into this a couple of times, but it's not a common problem for me or anything.

rage2
03-20-2016, 04:26 PM
It does. It's a global unread counter here, meaning even if you read a thread, it still shows unread. The unread is based on this timer that resets your last visit time, making future unread from that point up to current time.

Some forums use an actual unread indicator meaning it keeps track of what threads you've actually read. Not many people use this as it's very DB intensive and leads to poor performance during high loads. So in these cases, there's no need to base unreads on your last visit time.

TurboMedic
03-20-2016, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by rage2
It's set to default 20 mins right now. This is the first time I've heard anyone think this is too low. I'll take a look at adjusting it on Monday.

Thank you! Its not like i leave it idle for hours and want to return....