PDA

View Full Version : SUV Purchase: Ideas?

nismodrifter
03-20-2016, 12:25 AM
A slammed VW on stretched tires that has the aroma of diesel fuel and cannot get over speed bumps apparently doesn't work so great when you're married.

I'm hunting for an SUV (for many reasons).

Few concerns/points:

1. Have only driven 3 SUV's in my life
- 95 Pathfinder XE: my first car, rock solid, loved it, wish something like this exists today. if you have one (LHD) and its minty, let me know.
- 08 ML320 CDI: Parents vehicle, I drove it for a year, engine has its issues (swirl port -> carbon clogging intake flaps). SAM module get soaked with water, etc etc. Thankfully we were able to sort all issues out with rare MB intervention. That is after a literal tear down of the engine, stupid design in my opinion. I like MB diesels though.
- RX300: no idea of hands on maintenance as I've only driven it a handful of times, but has nice features.
- Essentially that means I have little experience in this breed of automobile. Should I just jump for a G63 AMG and call it a day?

2. Would prefer it does not eat my wallet at the pump.
I drive a MKIV TDI Jetta, I actually can't remember the last time I filled up.
Any reliable diesels on the market these days?
I haven't been up to date with engines.
I love the CDI base as its before the BLUE generation.
Hell the Liberty interested me at one point because of that.
Note: I'm diesel biased, as have driven one or another for most of my life.

3. Reliable
I am sick of tearing up my knuckles chasing down oil leaks.
Oil + filters I am fine doing.
I am sick of ripping down engines to chase down leaks associated with various turbo issues (I like turbo diesels though.....)

4. Full Size SUV.
Don't care about 6,7, or 8 people. 5 people. Comfortably.
GLK, Q5, etc are too small. (Do they call them compact SUV's now? unsure?).

5. Mods
None planned.

6. Budget:
I am looking at purchasing lightly used.
Approximately 2 years old
Looking at spending approx ~$30k

Really, a difficult decision.

Opinions on newer Nissan engines?
4-runners?
I'd be in a v10 TDI right now if it didn't have issues but thats unfortunately not the case.
Infinity? Lexus?

Looking to open discussion on the topic, and hopefully get some suggestions as I'd like to purchase soon.

rage2
03-20-2016, 01:13 AM
My brother was in the same exact scenario. Slammed VW Golf Wagon TDI, stretched tires, so bad that his wife got high centered on a small dip on a turn driving the damn thing lol. He got airbags, everyone is happy.

nismodrifter
03-20-2016, 01:16 AM
LOL. I did actually bring up his car, bagged wagon, so clean.

I will actually need the height this time around, and almost leaning towards a truck....

Tundra?
Titan?

Again, a difficult decision. Will have go towards an "SUV" for time being.

blitz
03-20-2016, 08:45 AM
Do this!

http://mano.automanas.lt/s/1595

blairtruck
03-20-2016, 09:01 AM
BMW X6 fully loaded except a few things.
its basically a sports car.

i remember reading that on here

Sugarphreak
03-20-2016, 09:06 AM

xrayvsn
03-20-2016, 09:08 AM
Not sure about the price point on these used, but I have been in my friend's 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel. It is very nicely appointed, and will tick off your box for full size SUV and diesel, but I suspect not the budget. I was very impressed with it, so perhaps it can be added to your list of SUV's to look into.

ShermanEF9
03-20-2016, 09:34 AM
I'm a big fan of the Explorer. Nice looking, and ford has come A LONG WAY from the early 2000s for reliability and style.

nismodrifter
03-20-2016, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Q7, MDX, new Honda Pilot is out too... All decent choices. Actually the new MDX finally has SH-AWD, with that it goes 0-60mph in under 6 seconds now. Really competitive price for what it offers.

Will check these out. Q7 is not really on my list right now. Didn't think about the MDX. Will definitely be taking one out for a drive.

Sugarphreak
03-20-2016, 10:05 AM

zhao
03-20-2016, 10:12 AM
i'm confused. You said your budget is 30g and you're looking at 2 year old vehicles, but everyone is telling you to buy new luxury suv's that are all 60g+.

I would avoid domestics, because while they look ok when new and you can get a couple year old miled out one for 30g, they are very expensive for parts, depreciate like ice cream dumped on a sidewalk on a summer day, and not exactly tip top in the reliability department since it sounds like you're going to end up buying something nearing the end of it's warranty. A 10 year old explorer is worth zero dollars for a reason, same with whatever chevy sells, and dodge. I like the grand cherokee personally, you may want to consider one of those, but it still is expensive for parts and will likely have it's quirks someday.

You're not finding a 2 year old anything in the 30g range in the luxury department if you call a GLK too big. This eliminates everything from merc, land, bmw, audi, volvo, lexus, infiniti. Even vw is out. The cheapest 2014 RX or touareg is 45g. Not happening, move on.

You could get a 2 year old acura RDX in the 30g range. You can also probably still get a new one for under 40g after tax. They are boring, but they're in your price range and will be reliable, and the current RDX is as big as the last gen MDX.

Realistically you're probably stuck with toyota, nissan, honda, kia, hyundai... and maybe domestic if you like throwing caution to the wind. That or increase your budget or change how new you want it to be.

dirtsniffer
03-20-2016, 10:22 AM
maybe a domestic if you feel like throwing caution to the wind... :nut:

nismodrifter
03-20-2016, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by zhao

Realistically you're probably stuck with toyota, nissan, honda.....

Which is exactly what I posted in terms of vehicles to look for....

Should have mentioned point number 7

7. No domestics.

dirtsniffer
03-20-2016, 10:50 AM
highlander? I'm assuming a cross over is what your looking for and not actually something off road capable like a 4runner?

Brent.ff
03-20-2016, 11:11 AM
Based on your requirements, a used 4runner is what I'd be looking at. Pretty well the only SUV that is still an SUV. Can't believe what they've done with the pathfinders (i.e., a van)

If you want a proper SUV, and not a crossover, expect to feel the pain at the pump. You're moving a hell of a lot more mass and using a bigger engine then your Vdub.

tch7
03-20-2016, 11:20 AM
Jeep Grand Cherokee for sure. Depending on the trim, a used 2012-2015 fits your budget. Great interiors, good performance on & off road, and I've driven dozens of them and never had an issue. I've even had as low as 8L/100km highway driving with the Pentastar engine. I wouldn't touch any other Jeep models though.

I've driven plenty of different rental SUVs, and I've also been really impressed with the Kia Sorento (previous gen with the V6) and Lincoln MKX / Ford Edge. The worst one I've had was easily a Jeep Liberty, followed closely by a Toyota Rav4.

I really like the pre-2010 4Runners. Then they went and made the interiors really cheap, and made them feel/perform like a much bigger SUV. Not sure if they've improved it much in the last couple years.

snowcat
03-20-2016, 11:53 AM
Volvo XC90, the new ones are sexy

zhao
03-20-2016, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
maybe a domestic if you feel like throwing caution to the wind... :nut:

Maybe you want to list some of the advantages to buying a domestic. I'd love to hear what you come up with for say, Cadillac

vengie
03-20-2016, 12:46 PM
Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 > the rest

xrayvsn
03-20-2016, 12:46 PM
Does it count as a domestic if the eco diesel 3.0 engine is made in Italy? That's almost like buying a fully loaded exotic.

msommers
03-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Love my 4Runner. Isn't the best in gas but not bad either and loads of room in the back for people and car seats.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
03-20-2016, 01:58 PM
The 4Runner is probably close to the top for reliability over time too. Only downsides I find with the newer ones are lack of power/drive train options and fuel economy.

BerserkerCatSplat
03-20-2016, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by tch7
Jeep Grand Cherokee for sure. Depending on the trim, a used 2012-2015 fits your budget. Great interiors, good performance on & off road, and I've driven dozens of them and never had an issue.

X2, the current Grand Cherokees are really nice, and both the gassers (Pentastar, Hemi) are solid motors. No experience with the diesel.

theken
03-20-2016, 03:30 PM
I have had an escalade since 08. Never had a single issue with it

nismodrifter
03-20-2016, 04:13 PM
4-runner size is definitely what I'm after. Really like it vw the pathfinder, which as a user above said, it's turned into a van.

Interesting about the grand Cherokee, I have never been in one or driven, will check it out.

relyt92
03-20-2016, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
4-runner size is definitely what I'm after. Really like it vw the pathfinder, which as a user above said, it's turned into a van.

Interesting about the grand Cherokee, I have never been in one or driven, will check it out. I haven't spent a ton of time in them, but the new GC seems to be really well put together and has quite a nice interior with some excellent engine options. If I was looking at this market it would be near the top of the considerations for sure.

GQBalla
03-20-2016, 10:17 PM
'16 4Runner.
Averaging
12.7 litres/100 km

Nothing to complain about
Meets your needs. ive seen some '10-12 for 30 k

msommers
03-20-2016, 11:01 PM
Nismo, you in Edmonton or Calgary? I'm tossing idea around of selling again since I drive it once every other week these days.

r3ccOs
03-20-2016, 11:07 PM
I was kinda in the same dilemma and I bought a full sized truck.

If you aren't into heavy hauling or massive payload, you can get into probably a new Ram 1500 pentastar w/ a 4x4 and the 3.55 gears, which should yield good gas milage, lots of cab space, ground clearance, a 5.5 foot box to fill with all sorts of kids crap and bikes... and still have enough to tow like 7k worth of stuff (I'd reckon?) like a small trailer or boat.

If I were looking for a "new" statement SUV, i'd go XC90 by a long shot

if I were looking for a truck platform... I'd probably go domestic just because they can be had cheaper than the Infinity QX80 or Sequoia

my neighbors have had the 5.3 and 6.0 Suburbans 2500, Yukon XL, and a 6.0 Escalade and have never had any issues.
Fuel economy isn't going to be great with any half/ 3/4 ton V8 that has 8 seats.

I'd stay away from the 5.4 expeditions, just because of the aforementioned phaser issues with that engine.

the value of the Yukon/Suburban seems to be just that much better than the cherokees, and with added better reliability, yet without the seemly high residual of the Sequoia or Armada.

HiTempguy1
03-20-2016, 11:15 PM
As mentioned by another poster, the price range and vehicle suggestions being made in this thread make no sense.

What the OP said he wants:

Would prefer it does not eat my wallet at the pump.
Reliable
Full Size SUV (5 people COMFORTABLY)
Budget ~$30k
No domestics

So I take it he has a max budget of $35k tops.

First thing, is this for you or the wife? If it's for the wife, consider the fact that lots of gas stations don't have diesel pumps. You'd be surprised how often I notice I need fuel and I'll pull into a station only to see it does not have diesel. Not a big deal, but a pain in the ass. Your wife also may not care for the smell, messiness (diesel pumps are always covered in shit), etc.

In any case, all SUV's that are big enough to fit 5 people comfortably are going to get shit mpg unless diesel, and if they are diesel and newer than 2012, they are going to be above your price range.

OP needs a minivan is basically the point I am getting at. :rofl:

InRich
03-20-2016, 11:54 PM
What do you guys think of the Toyota 4Runner?

GQBalla
03-21-2016, 07:30 AM
Originally posted by InRich

Love them - definitely not fast or has the power of a V8 but it does the job.

good gas mileage IMO
4wd
Body on frame

Built in Japan.

r3ccOs
03-21-2016, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by InRich

for the price, I wouldn't take it over a half ton... and I feel there are plenty of other offerings now that best the older Taco, FJ and 4runner platforms.

r3ccOs
03-21-2016, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by HiTempguy1
As mentioned by another poster, the price range and vehicle suggestions being made in this thread make no sense.

What the OP said he wants:

Would prefer it does not eat my wallet at the pump.
Reliable
Full Size SUV (5 people COMFORTABLY)
Budget ~$30k
No domestics

So I take it he has a max budget of $35k tops.

First thing, is this for you or the wife? If it's for the wife, consider the fact that lots of gas stations don't have diesel pumps. You'd be surprised how often I notice I need fuel and I'll pull into a station only to see it does not have diesel. Not a big deal, but a pain in the ass. Your wife also may not care for the smell, messiness (diesel pumps are always covered in shit), etc.

In any case, all SUV's that are big enough to fit 5 people comfortably are going to get shit mpg unless diesel, and if they are diesel and newer than 2012, they are going to be above your price range.

OP needs a minivan is basically the point I am getting at. :rofl:

honestly its wishful thinking to write off domestic SUV's you want "Space"

there are only a handfuls of "full sized" non-domestic SUVs, which would be only be the QX80/Armada, LX/Landcruiser, or the Sequoia.. both made for the NA market
All of which, just like their domestic equivalents, are never going to be "easy" at the pumps.

Outside of that, sure there are Pathfinders, 4runners, Xterras,(awful on gas)
then the sucutes Rav4, CRV, Pilot etc... but those compete more with the Acadia/Terrain market, which YES the Japanese dominate

then you have the larger luxury offerings from Merc/BMW (X5 and ML/RL) which are going to be pricier, and overall a higher cost of ownership, and definitely no easier on the pump

however if you want full sized, reliable and "cheap" (dependent on the order) you'd be foolish not to look at the used domestic truck based vehicles.
Or as I had suggested... look at a truck.

If you are looking for a Pilot/Acadia/XC90 sized vehicle, that is reliable, easier on gas, and affordable non-domestic... but is not a "full-sized" SUV that happens to be cheap new, and even cheaper used

Hyundai SantaFE XL turbo

freshprince1
03-21-2016, 09:58 AM
A slammed VW on stretched tires that has the aroma of diesel fuel and cannot get over speed bumps apparently doesn't work so great when you're married.

Consider a newer/used Ford Edge Sport. I just moved to one from my Subaru Legacy GT and am very happy. A 2013 would be the right price and you can get an ecoboost as well. Very sporty and strong.

The only compromise you're making is that it's not an offroad SUV like a 4runner... though there aren't many of those left anyways. The AWD in the Edge works great on the roads, I have winter tires for mine as well and it does very well.

I like my 2011 a lot so far, 3.7L V6, fully loaded, higher km's, got it for $18K.

Sugarphreak
03-21-2016, 10:05 AM

bjstare
03-21-2016, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by freshprince1

Consider a newer/used Ford Edge Sport. I just moved to one from my Subaru Legacy GT and am very happy. A 2013 would be the right price and you can get an ecoboost as well. Very sporty and strong.

The only compromise you're making is that it's not an offroad SUV like a 4runner... though there aren't many of those left anyways. The AWD in the Edge works great on the roads, I have winter tires for mine as well and it does very well.

I like my 2011 a lot so far, 3.7L V6, fully loaded, higher km's, got it for $18K.

The sport must be quite a departure from the normal Edge if you like the driving dynamics coming from a turbo subaru. My mom has a 09 (or 10?) Forester XT, and my wifes mom has a 2011 edge (non sport). The Forester feels like a dedicated track car in comparison; the Edge is way slower and it handles like a sofa :rofl:

killramos
03-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Didn't read every post in the thread but what about a CPO Touareg either TDI or V6 ( whichever floats your boat).

I believe nicely equipped examples can be had for around 30k.

I also think their interiors are much nicer than similar offerings from BMW, and not much off of audi.

Bonus is you are already a VW fan lol.

40k example ( a bit over price range but I feel like I have seen them a lot lower than this
http://www.fifthavevw.com/vehicle-details/2013-volkswagen-touareg-3-0-quattro-tdi-comfortline---sunroof---277-04-b-w-calgary-ab-id-12491529

Brent.ff
03-21-2016, 11:19 AM
Annoying ad, but pretty much what i'd be looking at with your requirements

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2012-toyota-4runner-limitednavigationsunroof4x4/1129142797

jwslam
03-21-2016, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Kia Borrego!!!

Korean V8 POWER!! :rofl:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/edmonton/2009-kia-borrego-v8-awd-luxury-suv-95k-km-mint/1149014712?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
TIL this exists.
Hmm... seems like the replacement Sorrentos only come in V6/i4. So this is definitely one of a kind.

Aleks
03-21-2016, 01:21 PM

Few concerns/points:

1. Have only driven 3 SUV's in my life
- 95 Pathfinder XE: my first car, rock solid, loved it, wish something like this exists today. if you have one (LHD) and its minty, let me know.

If you liked the old Pathfinders, Nissan still makes something very similar, the Xterra:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/2009-NIssan-Xterra-2.jpg

I made the transition from smaller low(ish) cars to a Tundra a year and a half ago. It's refreshing not having to scan the road for bumps and potholes anymore.

freshprince1
03-21-2016, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

The sport must be quite a departure from the normal Edge if you like the driving dynamics coming from a turbo subaru. My mom has a 09 (or 10?) Forester XT, and my wifes mom has a 2011 edge (non sport). The Forester feels like a dedicated track car in comparison; the Edge is way slower and it handles like a sofa :rofl:

There is a compromise...I went from a Legacy GT to an Edge Sport. It has the 22' rims, as well as the larger 3.7L V6. It's definitely not as nimble as the Legacy, but the trade offs were being much more smooth and quiet, as well as more room and more power when you've got 3-4 people in the car. For an SUV it handles great (with the 22's...not so much on my 17" winters! haha).

I have the 2nd Generation model, whose standard engine was a 3.5L V6...and the 2011 Sport moved to a 3.7...tons of power. Just last week I drove a 2016 Edge Sport EcoBoost and it blew me away with how agressively it accelerated and handled. In the end it's still a mid sized SUV...but it is surprisingly fast and nice to drive.

01RedDX
03-21-2016, 04:38 PM

Strider
03-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Up the budget and Kijiji lowball this guy - he's been flogging the same ad across 2 provinces for months.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/calgary/2013-porsche-cayenne-diesel-awd-warranty-160000km-2019-no-gst/1149229335?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

asp integra
03-21-2016, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by killramos
Didn't read every post in the thread but what about a CPO Touareg either TDI or V6 ( whichever floats your boat).

I believe nicely equipped examples can be had for around 30k.

I also think their interiors are much nicer than similar offerings from BMW, and not much off of audi.

Bonus is you are already a VW fan lol.

40k example ( a bit over price range but I feel like I have seen them a lot lower than this
http://www.fifthavevw.com/vehicle-details/2013-volkswagen-touareg-3-0-quattro-tdi-comfortline---sunroof---277-04-b-w-calgary-ab-id-12491529

The Touareg is really nice, plus it can haul a lot for its size

nismodrifter
04-16-2016, 11:10 PM
Well, finally ended up checking a few dealerships out today. Was really struck by how huge some of the available options are.

Went with a smaller sized vehicle....a 2013 Infiniti EX37.....loaded with ALL the options ( ;) )

Loved the styling, features, and realized that the size is exactly what I need right now.

Thanks for all the advise Beyond!

http://i65.tinypic.com/55o1sp.jpg

Darkane
04-17-2016, 09:43 AM
Those are decent. Reliable engines.

Pretty small in the back though with the sloping roofline.

Not that it matters but the Santa Fe sport would be my vote. They're surprisingly well equipped, decent power and slightly larger than the midsize units. There was a post way earlier about the Santa Fe XL which is the extended wheelbase and comes with the 3.3L V6 290hp.

R-Audi
04-18-2016, 12:54 PM
I had similar guidelines.. I ended up with a 2007 Lexus GX470. quite a bit larger than some of the others, but reliable, fully loaded and the ability to fit 7 is needed.
Plus they surprise a lot of people offroad!

Kloubek
04-18-2016, 01:44 PM
Surprised you went with an EX, Drifter. With well under 50 cubic feet of cargo capacity, there's certainly not a lot of space aft of the front seats. Nice enough vehicles though - and they drive very well. And as far as the brand, well... no need to mention I rather like Infiniti.

I was actually going to suggest the Mazda CX9. Pretty much on par with full size SUVs for space, 3rd row if you ever need it, relatively sporting driving dynamics, a surprisingly nice (though simple) interior, and a good reliability record. Only thing I didn't like mine was the fuel economy wasn't on par with other modern engines. The MDX is an even better choice, though to get a newer one you're looking at a fair amount more - especially if you wanted the updated 2014 model.

Anyway, hope you like the new whip!

bjstare
04-18-2016, 02:00 PM
Well, finally ended up checking a few dealerships out today. Was really struck by how huge some of the available options are.

Went with a smaller sized vehicle....a 2013 Infiniti EX37.....loaded with ALL the options ( ;) )

Loved the styling, features, and realized that the size is exactly what I need right now.

Thanks for all the advise Beyond!

Ah, the G37 hatchback.

Those are great. As mentioned, a little surprised you went with something that small, but I really like them.

nismodrifter
04-18-2016, 03:52 PM
Honestly, I am surprised that I would get something like this. I was so set on an "SUV" but when I saw what an SUV has become it just grossed me out. A 4-runner now has like 8 passenger seating, wtf? I have no need for that currently, and I don't think I will require that ever. Just unnecessary hugeness.

We were planning on going to Lexus but I really wanted to check Infinit. With a casual loop around on the lot in our car this particular one caught my eye. I wanted it.

And get this....first time ever purchasing from a dealership. :nut:

dirtsniffer
04-18-2016, 04:09 PM
apparently we have different ideas as to what fits 5 comfortably.

asp integra
04-18-2016, 05:02 PM
just picked up a 2012 Q5 and it is amazing. Quick, great on gas, amazing build quality. Have easily fit 5 for trips to the mountains. Would highly suggest checking one out. They are bigger than they look

spike98
04-19-2016, 08:16 AM
Honestly, I am surprised that I would get something like this. I was so set on an "SUV" but when I saw what an SUV has become it just grossed me out. A 4-runner now has like 8 passenger seating, wtf? I have no need for that currently, and I don't think I will require that ever. Just unnecessary hugeness.

We were planning on going to Lexus but I really wanted to check Infinit. With a casual loop around on the lot in our car this particular one caught my eye. I wanted it.

And get this....first time ever purchasing from a dealership. :nut:

The 4runner comes in both 5 and 7 seating configurations. That being said, its slow.