PDA

View Full Version : 50mm, which one?

NoPulp
04-02-2016, 05:00 PM
What 50mm would you pick for canon application (6d)?
(Mostly do automotive, but try other topics too)

I'm not terribly happy with my canon 1.4, I find af to be inconsistent.
I'm also not really wanting to pay for the 1.2 at this time.

I've been considering the sigma art 1.4...I keep reading mixed reviews from the "holy grail" next to the Zeiss, all the way to a definitive no. Seems like there can be bad copies and possible af issues too?

Or should I just work with the canon 1.8 and invest in additional glass at this time. (I really really liked my friends 135 F2L, can be difficult to frame due to length though. Looking at other lenses too.)

Found this old thread on the old sigma with mixed reactions:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st2/50mm-f1-4-canon-or-sigma/showthread.php?s=&threadid=340875&perpage=20&highlight=&pagenumber=1

Unknown303
04-02-2016, 07:07 PM
1.8 is the bomb. Best bang for your buck ever.

msommers
04-02-2016, 07:54 PM
As a Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART owner, I can say that a +3 focus adjustment was required and I have the dock already so I changed it for various focal distances. At 1.4 it's pretty sharp but does have slight glow to it, which goes away at f/2. To me it's minor because the overall picture still looks pretty damn sharp and the bokeh is fantastic.

Here's a couple test shots I did around the house, in-camera jpgs:

http://matthewsommers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/DSC_3401.jpg

http://matthewsommers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/DSC_3400.jpg

http://matthewsommers.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/DSC_3399.jpg

The only other lens I would consider potentially replacing it with would be the Zeiss 50mm makro planar. But for now this lens definitely will be hanging around as I really like it.

On the Canon side of lenses I can't really help as I don't have experience. The Nikon side has a 50mm 1.8 as well and it's fantastic. These nifty fifty 1.8 lenses have always been a ridiculous bargain.

finboy
04-02-2016, 08:00 PM
I've heard the new canon stm nifty fifty is a nice step up from the old unit, but I would save for a sigma art, those lenses are crazy nice.

blitz
04-02-2016, 08:22 PM
A used Canon 50mm 1.2 would be about the same cost as a new Sigma ART. That would be my choice.

NoPulp
04-02-2016, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by blitz
A used Canon 50mm 1.2 would be about the same cost as a new Sigma ART. That would be my choice.

That's a big drop, no?
1.2 is like 1950 now.
Sigma is 1200

I've never seen a 1.2 in lethbridge, a couple in Calgary but still expensive.

blitz
04-02-2016, 09:35 PM
There are a few of them on Fredmiranda for $950 US.

NoPulp
04-02-2016, 11:00 PM
I'm not sure I could buy that expensive of a lens without seeing it and testing it.

My next question is, why would someone sell a 1.2?

taemo
04-02-2016, 11:06 PM
i had the old sigma 50mm 1.4 (non Art), ~300-400$ now? and I liked it, better than the canon 1.4 and performance at f2 was really good

smaller than the Art version too

djmr2
04-02-2016, 11:08 PM
had the old sigma 1.4 non-art before too but for a nikon and loved it. they're pretty cheap now so I'd give it a shot before you drop big money on the other ones.

msommers
04-03-2016, 01:34 AM
Totally forgot about the non-art version! Sold it and missed a 50mm prime so got the ART. Great lens overall. Only nit pick is really bad CA wide open but that's easily correctable.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7568/15380361484_3940e9c540_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pr7nCh)20141207-DSC_0499 (https://flic.kr/p/pr7nCh) by msommers00 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/54199117@N03/), on Flickr

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2924/13833500584_68937b4532_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/n5qiLL)Stephanie-Jacob-2 (https://flic.kr/p/n5qiLL) by msommers00 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/54199117@N03/), on Flickr

Wakalimasu
04-03-2016, 05:14 AM
The Sigma 50mm 1.4 Art is an amazing lens. Except for the size!

I had my heart set on getting one but then settled for the Canon 35mm F2 IS. I already had a Canon 50 1.4 so meh. I don't even touch my 50 anymore heh.

NoPulp
04-03-2016, 11:19 AM
There's an old sigma in crowsnest for cheap, but the seller won't reply.
Maybe I should try a mail rental on the sigma art.

msommers
04-03-2016, 11:22 AM
Call The Camera Store or Vistek first. I don't think they actually list everything online that they do rent, or are very slow on doing so.

This link seems up your alley:

http://photographystatistics.com/rokinon-50mm-f1-4-lens-review-best-budget-50mm-manual-focus-lens

NoPulp
04-03-2016, 12:46 PM
Used sigma art just came up in lethbridge for a good price.
Hope the seller replies to me...

NoPulp
04-03-2016, 04:20 PM
Bought it.
That made my decision easy.

NoPulp
04-03-2016, 05:53 PM
Pretty happy with results so far.
F/1.4
Had CPL and UV on by accident.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1493/25618219603_b1bc57362d_b.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/F2N5ar)Sigma Art 50mm (https://flic.kr/p/F2N5ar) by Richard Brown (https://www.flickr.com/photos/130531646@N07/), on Flickr

The_Penguin
04-03-2016, 10:11 PM
I don't shoot 50mm often, but I am very happy with my 1.8 nifty fifty plastic fantastic. Good colour, contrast and sharp enough for me,
Ok sometimes the OOF highlights show the aperture blades, but I'm not a bokeh fanatic.

taemo
04-05-2016, 12:25 PM
^I bought the Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 for my 5D haha
http://petapixel.com/2014/12/27/comparing-optics-40-yongnuo-50mm-f1-8-125-canon-50mm-f1-8-ii/

although I primarily use Nikon AI-S on my 5D with EE-S screen

NoPulp
04-11-2016, 06:40 PM
Update:

The Sigma was stolen property.

After I bought the lens I was thinking back and something didn't seem right during the sale. That night I did a search on CPIC and it came up stolen. Contacted police right away. Got my neighbor to do the report in the morning. Was able to give him enough good info and he got the guy shortly afterwards and the guy admitted it.

So now I'm out a lens and a bunch of money. It would be nice to get something back, but money is money I guess. I hope there's some sort of consequence for the guy and the actual owner has the opportunity to get it back.

Really turned off my trust. Really the worst possible time for shit like this to happen to me, life just keeps kicking you while you're down.
I don't think I'll be able to buy used gear again... maybe if it has all the packaging and receipt.

Anyways I still wanted something that I could use similarly to a 50mm, but something I would keep if I got back into a 50mm (either money returned to me or possibly the lens returned to me). So I decided on the 40mm F2.8. Really like it so far! Love the length, I think It'll be the perfect car show lens. Its super tiny and light too :)

D'z Nutz
04-11-2016, 07:14 PM
Holy shit, and here I thought you were overly paranoid about buying used gear. Good on you to return the stolen gear.

That said I've been buying used gear for well over a decade and that won't change. Just buy from a reputable source and do your homework prior to.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-11-2016, 08:27 PM
Man, what a shitty deal. Damn fine of you to return that lens, I wish there was some way for you to be compensated, like through your insurance or something. I wonder if you could sue him in small claims court for the loss you incurred.

In retrospect, ~50% of my used gear has been from KEH or similar. The only time I thought an item was weirdly cheap was from TCS and I doubt they'd be fencing stolen gear.

NoPulp
04-11-2016, 08:57 PM
I signed the restitution form, meaning I'm asking the court to order him to pay me back directly. Unfortunately it doesn't "make" him pay me. I think a lawyer could recommend that he pays me before court to make him look good. I also think the repayment can be apart of a probation condition. But really the restitution is just another blemish on the guys record. No real way to get my money other than I take him myself to court which wouldn't be worth my time IMO. I'm not sure if police seized cash or if they could even return it directly to me.

I asked the police if they'll return the lens to the owner. They said they'll try to. They did mention that if the person doesn't want it (went through insurance already), there's a possibility it can be given to me since it would be a waste to destroy?

So I'm not sure how all this works. I dont even know if i have to go to court or what happens. I guess it'll be an interesting experience...

I guess I should ask, what are good sites I can purchase used equipment from? I know it's more expensive to go through another party, but I'd feel much better purchasing from a business that can insure proper functioning equipment and not stolen...

djmr2
04-11-2016, 09:12 PM
shitty deal but good on you for returning it!

try http://www.fredmiranda.com/ as a good site. User base is worldwide but with everything it's us dominant.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-11-2016, 10:18 PM
Well, really hoping they come through for you, one way or another.

As far as websites go, keh.com is the most popular seller of used camera goods that I know of, and I have purchased from them a number of times with good results.

NoPulp
04-12-2016, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Well, really hoping they come through for you, one way or another.

As far as websites go, keh.com is the most popular seller of used camera goods that I know of, and I have purchased from them a number of times with good results.

That looks like a decent site. Prices aren't horrible, seems like its basically just to USD to CAD conversion for what I could buy off facebook/kijiji. You've had good luck with them?

Have you purchased anything below grade LN-? Like are EX+ and EX still acceptable grades? Not sure how picky places are with their grading system. If the glass is in great shape, but the exterior has a couple scratches, that would be okay. Don't want equipment that has significant blemishes someone would notice without specifically look for them.

msommers
04-12-2016, 08:34 AM
KEH is really great (I've bought and sold to them) and it's about as safe and easy as it comes to dealing with used equipment. However, they are in the US and as such our prices are brutal. They're also a little more expensive than what you'd find privately, which isn't really shocking. Condition wise, I think they rate things pretty conservatively. Like a Bargain piece isn't a hunk of junk - probably in better condition than some 'mint, barely used' things I see on Kijiji lol.

ga16i
04-12-2016, 08:35 AM
I've had good luck with eBay only dealing with sellers with 100+ reviews who sells mostly photography related items.

As for 50mm'ish range lens. I'm using my old Contax 50mm 1.7 on Kindai adapter when I'm wanting to slow down. More of a 35mm guy myself and am quite happy with the Canon 35mm f2 IS USM. If they made a 50mm with IS, I probably would buy that too.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-12-2016, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by NoPulp

That looks like a decent site. Prices aren't horrible, seems like its basically just to USD to CAD conversion for what I could buy off facebook/kijiji. You've had good luck with them?

Have you purchased anything below grade LN-? Like are EX+ and EX still acceptable grades? Not sure how picky places are with their grading system. If the glass is in great shape, but the exterior has a couple scratches, that would be okay. Don't want equipment that has significant blemishes someone would notice without specifically look for them.

Yep, most of my large format lenses were bought through KEH at very good prices, and I also purchased a couple of SLR lenses from them.

Their grading system is known for being very conservative. I bought two "Bargain" grade lenses that probably would have been described as "excellent condition" on Kijiji or Ebay, haha. The only problem I ever had was a bargain-grade zoom I bought turned out to have a jammed focusing helicoid. I called them up, had them pay to ship it back and they refunded me in full.

taemo
04-12-2016, 12:03 PM
be wary of the shipping charges with KEH though, to Canada IIRC was around 50-60 US$

I havent had any experience with stolen gear on kijiji yet, although I rarely buy lens locally, other than a 70-300 IS lens that I bought years ago that was mis-focusing.

I try to avoid buying lenses from the US on ebay because of the potential import tax, Japan ebay though I buy all the time (just bought a lens few minutes ago as a matter of fact).
Although be wary of Japan sellers saying EX++ or excellent condition but then on description the lens has scratches, haze or fungus :rofl:

Fred Miranda and RFF are my go to shopping place.

blitz
04-12-2016, 01:33 PM
I'd much rather deal with people on Fred Miranda than Kijiji. I've done 100+ deals on there with only one shitty experience, and that was with me as the seller.

KEH is good, but usually not the best prices and shipping is high. BH Photo used department is in the same boat.

I'm with Earl on ebay from Japan, just read the descriptions. I've never been charged taxes or fees from an ebay purchase from Japan so that's a bonus. The only time I've paid fees on an item from Japan is when I bought my old Noctilux on Fred Miranda. Canadian customs misplaced the decimal point when calculating tax and I paid 10% of what I should have :rofl:

taemo
04-12-2016, 02:01 PM
what, they thought it was 8000 Yen instead of 8000$? lol :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
04-12-2016, 02:02 PM
I've never purchased anything off of Kijiji in my life and this is just one reason why. If I did, I would be checking the serial number and receipt before exchanging any money that's for sure. If the sellers are anything like the buyers I deal with, I wouldn't be able to trust a single one of them haha. Dealing with people on forums with lots of positive feedback and places like KEH are almost always the best ways to go for camera gear. KEH won't be very good right now though because our dollar is trash and shipping is also in USD. I don't trust anyone on eBay either unless it's a known store.

Glad the POS got caught, but he'll get a slap on the wrist and back at it again in no time.

BerserkerCatSplat
04-12-2016, 02:21 PM
Originally posted by taemo

The opposite of that happened to another Beyonder - he ordered something from Japan and they accidentally listed the value in Yen instead of CAD. When I went to the post office to pick it up for him as he was out of the country, they wanted ~$300 in GST. :rofl:

NoPulp
04-12-2016, 02:54 PM
I've been dealing on kijiji for years and have had nothing but positive experiences. I'll be avoiding ebay too...
I think I'll sign up for Fred, but more for info. Might buy if from a very experienced member.

Keh is looking pretty good. I'd rather spend some extra money for the piece of mind of warranty/knowledge/paper trail.

Mitsu3000gt
04-12-2016, 03:23 PM
I've been dealing on kijiji for years and have had nothing but positive experiences. I'll be avoiding ebay too...
I think I'll sign up for Fred, but more for info. Might buy if from a very experienced member.

Keh is looking pretty good. I'd rather spend some extra money for the piece of mind of warranty/knowledge/paper trail.

You don't have to pay to join FM unless you want to use the buy/sell for feedback purposes. You can still browse it for free and use the forums and contact people freely. Good forum though, probably the best of the camera ones out there. Very little trolling.

D'z Nutz
04-12-2016, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

You don't have to pay to join FM unless you want to use the buy/sell for feedback purposes. You can still browse it for free and use the forums and contact people freely. Good forum though, probably the best of the camera ones out there. Very little trolling.

You only have to pay to post ads.

blitz
04-12-2016, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by taemo

It was less than that. They valued it at $900 CAD instead of $9000. The paperwork was filled out properly in Japan too, it was a total fuckup on Canadian Customs part.

The Canadapost guy gave me a bill for like $50 :rofl:

D'z Nutz
04-13-2016, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat

The opposite of that happened to another Beyonder - he ordered something from Japan and they accidentally listed the value in Yen instead of CAD. When I went to the post office to pick it up for him as he was out of the country, they wanted ~$300 in GST. :rofl:

So what happens in situations like that? Can you re-submit it for the correct declaration with some supporting documents and hope to be reimbursed?

BerserkerCatSplat
04-13-2016, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

So what happens in situations like that? Can you re-submit it for the correct declaration with some supporting documents and hope to be reimbursed?

I knew something was fishy, so I didn't pay the $300 and left the package at the post office for him to deal with. I believe he refused the package and had them re-ship it with correct info rather than try to get money back after the fact.

NoPulp
05-05-2016, 12:04 PM
Court date was yesterday. Just got a call he didn't show. Arrest warrant on his head now.
Good thing I was expecting to get anything back. I just hope the justice system does something.

soupey
05-15-2016, 06:09 PM
that sucks :(

in my experience, good trader ratings on fredmiranda indicate a reliable seller that won't screw u over, sometimes its worth dealing with the shipment from the states (or get someone to bring it up for you).

I've had some hits and misses on kijiji, for the most part no big problems, u can usually tell when you have ac onversation with someone if they're just selling a lens they know nothing about vs a photographer trading their equipment...

I wish i could help you with the 50mm department, but ive been using an old pentax k-mount 50mm f1.4 manual focus with an AF confirm chip. super cheap with great results if you're patient... it's been my go to lens for fun, otherwise i stick to the longer primes for proper shoots...135L and 85L

NoPulp
05-15-2016, 07:09 PM
The guy was arrested a few days later! Court date in June.

I ended up buying a 40mm pancake. I wanted something similar to a 50mm but something I'd keep if things ever get sorted out. I'm super impressed with its performance for the cost. I love how small and light it is too. It's ends up being the perfect car show lens since I can get close to vehicles but not distort the vehicles too much.

NoPulp
09-15-2016, 08:07 PM
Court finally finished up. God the justice system is a joke.

Guy got some jail time and ordered to pay me back. Sounded like there's another person that got screwed by him too. It was unclear what I'm getting back, but something is coming my way finally.

Mitsu3000gt
09-16-2016, 09:09 AM
People don't actually get paid in these instances, do they? Because it's up to the criminal to pay you?

darthVWader
09-16-2016, 09:12 AM
NoPulp will be paid with a lot of good Karma one day. Bravo for reporting it.

Any word on the original owner and if he got a replacement?

NoPulp
09-16-2016, 09:35 AM
The lady I talked to didn't really know what was happening on the money side. It sounded like to me that they already had $500 something and he was ordered to pay the additional $130 over some period of time. He's serving his sentence on weekends, so it sounds like he's working and they can actually force him to pay money apparently.

No idea when I'll get money, if I ever do. Its a start though. I totally forgot about the money, so if I end up receiving a cheque from the court that would be cool.

No idea what happened to the lens at this point. It did sound like someone else was involved in this too, possibly another stolen property. I think they're suppose to receive money as well, so i might have helped someone else too.

I have a phone number that I can try to ask more questions, not sure if its worth the effort though. Seems like its such a mess and I'll just have to see how it plays out. Nice to see something finally happened. Has been an interesting experiencing, all I know is I never want to be involved with the court system again... not that I regret reporting, but I'll make sure to never put myself in that possible situation again.

finboy
09-16-2016, 06:31 PM
The 40 is good, it was my first lems and for being such a weird focal length on apsc it's surprisingly flexible. With the new m5 announced, canon might actually try more pancakes, thought likely only in ef-m mount

NoPulp
09-16-2016, 06:46 PM
I love the 40mm on my 6d. It's an odd little lens, but I love it for automotive. Really nice for car shows as it doesn't distort too much but it's wide. I like the bit of vignette it has too. Fantastic lens for the money.

NoPulp
10-14-2016, 10:22 AM
Received my order of restitution for $700! Had to wait a month after the court date to file/enforce the order, which is today. I also just got called by the police station and they have $183.41 for me that they confiscated, so $516.59 remaining. Not sure if I'll ever see the rest of the money, but I got something back at least.

Mitsu3000gt
10-14-2016, 10:40 AM
Haha nice, at least it's something. I would write off the remaining amount though.

NoPulp
11-30-2016, 03:05 PM
Not getting my money for sure enough.
After struggling with all the paper work I finally went into the court house and asked a bunch of questions.

Apparently its my responsibility to track this low life down (of no fixed address) to get his employment information and banking information. FFFFFFFUUUUUCKK that

What a joke.

finboy
11-30-2016, 03:14 PM
Rough! I think canon rumours has rumblings of a new 50mm if that helps?

msommers
11-30-2016, 03:21 PM
That's fucking brutal dude!

How does one even acquire someone else's banking info lol. The police require a warrant to do that, maybe a court ruling will help you?

Or break some knees lol.

NoPulp
11-30-2016, 05:01 PM
Apparently it's my responsibility to enforce the restitution order. When I was originally told that I asked the lady what that meant since I didn't want to ever meet the person again, they told me that I just had to file the documents and I wouldn't have to see the person unless I was ordered to appear in court. Well apparently that's not true, unless you happen to know all their information then you basically have to shake them down for money.

I knew I was unlikely to get my money, but I wanted to put the order through. This is an absolute joke though. The best I can do is file the document I was able to partially complete, it would screw up his financial abilities in the case he wanted to straighten out his life. It wouldn't get my money back though and I have to pay to file the document... so yeah I'm done.

Fuck the legal system. I knew it was broken before, but now I have no confidence in it at all. Unless you have a lot to gain and deep pockets, it's not worth going through the system.

finboy
12-01-2016, 08:22 AM
Apparently it's my responsibility to enforce the restitution order. When I was originally told that I asked the lady what that meant since I didn't want to ever meet the person again, they told me that I just had to file the documents and I wouldn't have to see the person unless I was ordered to appear in court. Well apparently that's not true, unless you happen to know all their information then you basically have to shake them down for money.

I knew I was unlikely to get my money, but I wanted to put the order through. This is an absolute joke though. The best I can do is file the document I was able to partially complete, it would screw up his financial abilities in the case he wanted to straighten out his life. It wouldn't get my money back though and I have to pay to file the document... so yeah I'm done.

Fuck the legal system. I knew it was broken before, but now I have no confidence in it at all. Unless you have a lot to gain and deep pockets, it's not worth going through the system.

It's an important lesson to learn, we all get there at some point (see: thread where my house was broken into).