PDA

View Full Version : SAIT: Applied Management Certificate

vengie
04-12-2016, 11:50 AM
Given the current economic times, I have been asked to take a month off work (unpaid). Rather than sitting home or visiting the mountains repeatedly, I have chosen to enhance my skills by taking some sort of short term certificate program.

Has anyone taken this Certificate, or similar?
Was it beneficial to you?

The courses I have enrolled in are as follows:
Presentation Skills
Mental Toughness
Mentoring
Leadership Skills
Negotiation Skills
Assertiveness for personal and business success
Supervisory Skills
Conflict Management
Problem Solving and Decision Making
Communicating Effectively
Team Building

And currently waiting for availability for Accounting and Finance for Non Accountants.

Here is a link to the program:
Applied Management Certificate (http://www.sait.ca/programs-and-courses/continuing-education/courses-and-certificates/applied-management-certificate-of-achievement.php)

carson blocks
04-13-2016, 12:41 PM
I have started towards the SAIT management certificates a couple of times and haven't been impressed. The first time I started, I took a prerequisite computing course (BCPT282) and the content was super dated and mostly irrelevant. I was so disappointed I took a break and when I came back, they had changed all course requirements, so I started again with MNGT200 Business Management and again wasn't impressed. It was very entry level, the online learning platform was garbage, and I learned very little. Again, the course turned me off chasing the certificate. After two tries and two bad courses, I'm going to try Athabasca next time.

Edit: I have to point out I took both courses online through distance learning. I would be interested in seeing if the in-class experience is better.

B69
04-13-2016, 08:25 PM
I'd be curious what anyone else has to say about it. It looks pretty basic but would look good on the resume as well.

Joe-G
04-14-2016, 03:23 PM
What do you guys think about the Project Management Certificate offered at MRU? Worth it?

Xtrema
04-21-2016, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Joe-G
What do you guys think about the Project Management Certificate offered at MRU? Worth it?

If you think PM is the route, I think certs from PMI probably more recognized worldwide than something from MRU.

schocker
04-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
If you think PM is the route, I think certs from PMI probably more recognized worldwide than something from MRU.

I did this one, I think it is recognized by PMI and is supposed to be a stepping stone towards the PMP.

https://mtroyal.ca/ProgramsCourses/ContinuingEducation/projectmanagement/projmanonline/index.htm#chart

Joe-G
04-25-2016, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by schocker

I did this one, I think it is recognized by PMI and is supposed to be a stepping stone towards the PMP.

https://mtroyal.ca/ProgramsCourses/ContinuingEducation/projectmanagement/projmanonline/index.htm#chart

How's it working for you so far? Was it a decent course?

Any plans on working towards your PMP?

schocker
04-25-2016, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by Joe-G
How's it working for you so far? Was it a decent course?

Any plans on working towards your PMP?
I did the course inbetween sait and finding a job so I had no prior experience. It has helped a bit as I currently do a handful of scheduling and cost tracking on projects. I can see myself working towards a PMP in the future, but not currently due to my lack of experience.

l/l/rX
04-30-2016, 10:49 AM
I'm almost done my applied project mgmt cert via sait, then doing my PMP after, great certificate to do if you haven't done your undergrad. I have 6 yrs PM experience but soo much stuff I haven't learned, I find it super valuable (but costly)

finboy
05-01-2016, 09:26 PM
my sister did the mru pmp course as a setup for the test, she didn't find it very helpful as the main group of people there were from a construction background (she is in consulting) and they kept steering the classtime to their specific industry. Online might be a bit better if you can learn that way, it definitely takes more focus than an in class course.

phreezee
05-09-2016, 08:00 AM
Don't waste your money on a course for a PMP. Just buy a PMBOK and Rita's Exam Prep.
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=sr_kk_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apmp+rita+mulcahy+8th+edition&keywords=pmp+rita+mulcahy+8th+edition&ie=UTF8&qid=1462802302