PDA

View Full Version : Mechanical Engineers - HVAC/Building Services

Hero_X
04-20-2016, 10:01 PM
Hey everyone,

So I was formerly working in Oil & Gas as a junior level mechanical engineer. As with everyone else, I've been laid off, and for quite some time too now.

I've been looking across Canada and it seems another big industry for mechanical engineers is HVAC/Building services. The thing is, I don't know anything about this industry, in that I have no experience.

In university I had the required thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics courses. I'm not sure if this would be sufficient to enter into this industry.

If I wanted to get a step into this field, how would I do it? Is there any course(s) that you recommend I should take? And where could I take said courses?

I want to do anything I can to get out of this rut and start working again. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Maxt
04-20-2016, 10:11 PM
I knew of 2 engineers that signed up and went through the apprenticeship program for Refrigeration to get a handle on what the industry really was about. The decent part is that you can work through the education, but don't expect to get paid engineers wages through the early years of the program.

dirtsniffer
04-20-2016, 10:51 PM
A buddy of mine is school (mechanical) got a job at engineered air straight out of uni. Pretty straightforward work. I don't think you would need additional schooling, unless competition is driving up qualifications.

killramos
04-21-2016, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Hero_X

In university I had the required thermodynamics, heat transfer, and fluid dynamics courses. I'm not sure if this would be sufficient to enter into this industry.

Did you feel like you had a good grasp on all the technical details of Oil & Gas before you started that?

You just need to find a new grad / EIT level position and apply for it. They will train you up and you will start with grunt work like anywhere else. Don't expect your O&G experience to count for much though.

I think if you do a career 180 it may delay your P.Eng past 4 years as a note.

R154
04-21-2016, 07:42 AM
No you don't need additional schooling. I am in electrical. I'm a mechanical.

You are still looking at a mechanical group to do chillers/towers.

Your best untapped option is looking at positions that require some working knowledge of fluid dynamics, pumps & valves.

Its quite easy to justify your o&g experience from a general POV. you'd be surprised how sympathetic mechanical groups are to former o&g.

A lot of our work is tied to yours. Especially here in Alberta.

You could always spend some time doing some courses to transition into an electrical role. They are always the last to go.

Your last bet might be sales engineering. There are a great deal of equipment positions out there. Finning did a massive layoff but as of last week they lifted their hiring freeze.

Cummins is always hiring.

bjstare
04-21-2016, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by killramos

*snip*

I think if you do a career 180 it may delay your P.Eng past 4 years as a note.

This shouldn't matter. Unless he loses touch with all of his references. But as I've stated before, any EIT should make an effort to do a coffee or something once every few months with their previous supervisors so they know where to find them when it comes time to complete your application.

dandia89
04-21-2016, 08:41 AM

You just need to find a new grad / EIT level position and apply for it.

do these even exist in this market? Especially to people who have more than 1-2 years exp?

I think this is a great idea, i just don't think this is as attainable right now

lasimmon
04-21-2016, 08:44 AM
I have a buddy who does HVAC/Building services as a Mec E for Stantec.

He just transferred to Yellowknife for some bizarre reason haha.

killramos
04-21-2016, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by cjblair

This shouldn't matter. Unless he loses touch with all of his references. But as I've stated before, any EIT should make an effort to do a coffee or something once every few months with their previous supervisors so they know where to find them when it comes time to complete your application.

I'm not thinking so much on references as defining scope of practice. I am no expert but I thought you have to declare your practice ( O&G, HVAC, Software, Civil Infrastructure, whatever) and if a big chunk of your EIT time was outside of your declared scope then they make you get some more experience?

Correct me if I am wrong :dunno:

As for do EIT positions exist? Maybe not in O&G but we aren't the only industry in the world who hires engineers. We tend to have a very myopic view of the world here in Calgary but in most of north america people are pretty stoked that oil is so low and industries are booming.

NoPulp
04-21-2016, 09:13 AM
I don't think you'd need any additional education.
We had a HVAC class in MET, if you have a good grasp on thermo and fluids you should be fine. HVAC you can go into a lot of detail, but there are solid tables put into place to shortcut everything. Pick up a ASHRAE handbook and that's pretty much all the info you need. Most places should only care that you're an EIT.

bjstare
04-21-2016, 11:48 AM

I'm not thinking so much on references as defining scope of practice. I am no expert but I thought you have to declare your practice ( O&G, HVAC, Software, Civil Infrastructure, whatever) and if a big chunk of your EIT time was outside of your declared scope then they make you get some more experience?

I don't think it matters. I switched to project management for the last 25% of my eligible experience (I have a background in Electrical). They like to see progression/well rounded engineers. This, to me, menas working in a variety and or progression of roles. :dunno:

I'm currently in the final stages of approval, if I get screwed over, I'll be sure to let you know. haha

Darkane
04-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Hey everyone,

So I was formerly working in Oil & Gas as a junior level mechanical engineer. As with everyone else, I've been laid off, and for quite some time too now.

I've been looking across Canada and it seems another big industry for mechanical engineers is HVAC/Building services. The thing is, I don't know anything about this industry, in that I have no experience.

If I wanted to get a step into this field, how would I do it? Is there any course(s) that you recommend I should take? And where could I take said courses?

I want to do anything I can to get out of this rut and start working again. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

I think ABSA might still give mechanical engineers credit for 4th class firing time.

If I were you, call ABSA and see if they'll let you write your 4th class power engineering exams (2). All the material in those books will give you EXACTLY what you're looking for, you just won't necessarily have to take the course.

deee_wreck
04-21-2016, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by cjblair

I don't think it matters. I switched to project management for the last 25% of my eligible experience (I have a background in Electrical). They like to see progression/well rounded engineers. This, to me, menas working in a variety and or progression of roles. :dunno:

I'm currently in the final stages of approval, if I get screwed over, I'll be sure to let you know. haha

You'll be fine, they are looking at engineering mentality and comprehension, and does not need to be 100% technical

I started as a mech eng. designer, and jumped into Project Management. Got my P.Eng no issues.

The referee has a "How much Percentage of their work is engineering related" ranking they have to fill out, so if your references are familiar with your work, and you would have picked people to help you it'll be fine.

littledan
04-21-2016, 01:29 PM
unless something has changed since I registered, as long as your experience is eligible you should be good to go. I don't think it matters if the experience comes in a variety of fields.

lasimmon
04-21-2016, 01:38 PM

As for do EIT positions exist? Maybe not in O&G but we aren't the only industry in the world who hires engineers. We tend to have a very myopic view of the world here in Calgary but in most of north america people are pretty stoked that oil is so low and industries are booming.

As far as I know the defined scope is a Tech thing.

I had 2 very different jobs on my Peng application and got it no problem.

legendboy
04-21-2016, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Darkane

I think ABSA might still give mechanical engineers credit for 4th class firing time.

If I were you, call ABSA and see if they'll let you write your 4th class power engineering exams (2). All the material in those books will give you EXACTLY what you're looking for, you just won't necessarily have to take the course.

From ABSA

Qualification for 4th Class Examination

To qualify to take a 4th Class Power Engineer’s Certificate of Competency examination, a candidate must

(a) have successfully completed a 4th class course in power engineering satisfactory to the Administrator,

(b) have successfully completed the first full term of a 2-year power engineering technology program satisfactory to the Administrator, or

(c) hold a degree in mechanical engineering from a university satisfactory to the Administrator,

Despite (a) and (b) above, a candidate who has successfully completed part A of a 4th class course in power engineering satisfactory to the Administrator is qualified to take part A of the examination, and a candidate who has successfully completed part B of a 4th class course in power engineering satisfactory to the Administrator is qualified to take part B of the examination."

I have been in hvac (design, epc packages, pm) for 15+ years, the company i am currently with is hiring and are still crazy busy

Hero_X
04-21-2016, 03:51 PM
Hey guys,

I'm sorry I should've mentioned this before but I've already received my P.Eng. All my required experience has been from O&G.

Sorry I didn't quite understand, so what would be the advantage of the Power Engineering exam? Does that pretty much give me qualifications in HVAC?

Darkane
04-21-2016, 04:24 PM
Hey guys,

I'm sorry I should've mentioned this before but I've already received my P.Eng. All my required experience has been from O&G.

Sorry I didn't quite understand, so what would be the advantage of the Power Engineering exam? Does that pretty much give me qualifications in HVAC?

Yeah somewhat. The books will give you introductory information on the topics you'd need for the building side of things.

You'll blow through the exams no problem. And having a 4th class ticket would even allow you to operate the boiler house and all ancillary equipment in the building.

Maxt
04-23-2016, 07:37 AM
Originally posted by NoPulp
I don't think you'd need any additional education.
We had a HVAC class in MET, if you have a good grasp on thermo and fluids you should be fine. HVAC you can go into a lot of detail, but there are solid tables put into place to shortcut everything. Pick up a ASHRAE handbook and that's pretty much all the info you need. Most places should only care that you're an EIT.

This explains a lot of installs... :rofl:

Darell_n
04-23-2016, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Maxt

This explains a lot of installs... :rofl:

That's why the guys that can make it work properly, afterwards, make the big bucks.

Maxt
04-23-2016, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by Darell_n

That's why the guys that can make it work properly, afterwards, make the big bucks.
Yeah, I am not complaining...lol... Its my bread and butter.

Darell_n
04-23-2016, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Maxt

Yeah, I am not complaining...lol... Its my bread and butter.

Same here.

Darell_n
04-23-2016, 06:21 PM
True for HVAC as well.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/156775/Photo%202015-10-28%2C%205%2013%2041%20PM.jpg

Maxt
04-23-2016, 06:30 PM
Ever think you sound like this guy talking to customers? Refrigeration jargon just makes people's eyes glaze over. After 2 minutes, they throw their hands up and say, "just fix it".
rLDgQg6bq7o