PDA

View Full Version : Plastidip wheels - color opinions on my Golf

Skrilla
04-28-2016, 02:49 PM
Hey guys just looking for some opinions on a color to plastidip my wheels on my mk7 golf. Only have the one shitty pic below (Car is pacific blue metallic). Cant decide what color to do. I have done this a few tims with different cars (blaze yellow, blue, white etc) but this color is not so easy to find something that works with it. I like to stand out, so im game for anything, even considered 2-4 different colored wheels.

I was thinking Camo Tan, or even Blaze Orange...my one wheel got damaged the other day so I decided what better time than now :dunno: I don't want to Powdercoat either because I will be going with a different wheel next summer.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc89/Duzzee/20160426_065238_zpsrj29x691.jpg

shakalaka
04-28-2016, 02:55 PM
I find that matte black goes with everything. I personally wouldn't do any colour other than.

darthVWader
04-28-2016, 03:07 PM
I think orange copper would look awesome.

asp integra
04-28-2016, 03:08 PM
white :dunno:

G-ZUS
04-28-2016, 03:13 PM
hot pink

Kloubek
04-28-2016, 03:38 PM
Personally, I'd leave them alone. Plastidip, in my opinion, is better on wheels that need a quick refinish. Your wheels look just fine.

But if you really hate the colour, perhaps refinish properly with Duplicolor coating. I recently refinished a set of wheels that had heavy curb rash and the graphite colour looked pretty sick.

G-ZUS
04-28-2016, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Personally, I'd leave them alone. Plastidip, in my opinion, is better on wheels that need a quick refinish. Your wheels look just fine.

But if you really hate the colour, perhaps refinish properly with Duplicolor coating. I recently refinished a set of wheels that had heavy curb rash and the graphite colour looked pretty sick.

Did you repair the curb rash or just paint as is?

Skrilla
04-28-2016, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by darthVWader
I think orange copper would look awesome.

Looked that up, I agree that would look awesome. Sounds like you need to spray black then the metalizer?

Kloubek
05-05-2016, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

Did you repair the curb rash or just paint as is?

Oh god no. I ground all the rash off by hand. It was actually not THAT bad. Took a while, but the aluminum yields quicker than you'd think.

These are my winter wheels, so no idea how the refinish job is going to stand up - but it looks good for now, and I've read generally good reports of the durability from others. Naturally, scuffing and prep is important.

http://www3.telus.net/kloubek/refinish1.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/kloubek/refinish2.jpg

G-ZUS
05-05-2016, 01:28 PM

Oh god no. I ground all the rash off by hand. It was actually not THAT bad. Took a while, but the aluminum yields quicker than you'd think.

These are my winter wheels, so no idea how the refinish job is going to stand up - but it looks good for now, and I've read generally good reports of the durability from others. Naturally, scuffing and prep is important.

http://www3.telus.net/kloubek/refinish1.jpg
http://www3.telus.net/kloubek/refinish2.jpg

That actually looks good, did you clearcoat them too?

Kloubek
05-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Yeah - 2 coats primer, 3 light and 1 moderate coat colour, 2 light and 1 heavy clear. That last clear gave it a pretty good shine, but I still ended up wet sanding to get rid of the minor orange peel. If I didn't clear, they wouldn't be nearly that smooth looking. Colour alone gave it some gloss, but looked... "dusty". The clear really brought out the depth and shine, and smoothed it all out.

...and when I say it wasn't "that" bad, I meant the work involved to take off the rash... not the rash itself. It was quite bad in areas - previous owner didn't seem to give two fucks.

I found that even though I took off considerable metal, once you sand it down and smooth it out, you really can't tell at all - even if you were looking for it.

Is it a perfect job? Not quite. The first wheel I did ended up with some relatively minor runs. By the time I did the 4th, it damn close to run-free. Considering I did it during the winter inside my dirtier-than-Jenna-Jameson garage, and it was my first ever attempt at refinishing wheels, I think they came out ok.

Pacman
05-09-2016, 01:39 PM
Where are you guys buying the matte black plastidip in Calgary? I went to a few stores and couldn't find it. I want to spray the foglight surrounds on my Outback from silver to matte black to match the matte bumper.

shakalaka
05-09-2016, 02:05 PM
The regular black plastidip gives a matte finish.

n1zm0
05-09-2016, 02:19 PM
^+1

crappy tire has it, I just did my wheels 2 weeks ago, camo shit brown :rofl: because it was $8 a can on sale, plus some gunmetal so they look somewhat bronzeish.

I couldn't find it at first because I was looking in the automotive paint section but they actually shelve it in the home paint area.

Kloubek
05-09-2016, 02:33 PM
Industrial paint and plastic (?) had it too.

n1zm0
05-09-2016, 02:58 PM
Industrial paint and plastic (?) had it too.

Actually I went here before Cdn Tire and they did have it but limited stock, also the guys were on the phone for 15 minutes and didn't even acknowledge me at all, so I left :dunno: They definitely do have some too though, spray cans and pails.

StreetRacerX
05-09-2016, 03:08 PM
+1 for the orange copper, reminds me a bit of Rose gold.