PDA

View Full Version : New new tires: what brand

ee2k
05-06-2016, 04:54 PM
I need a new set of summer/performance tires for a two door coupe, on 19" wheels. Options in order of cost are:

- B.F.Goodrich g-Force™ Comp 2™ A/S
- Nitto Motivo
- Yokohama S.Drive

Anyone with experience with any of these? I read a couple of places that the Nitto wear fast.

jacky4566
05-06-2016, 06:30 PM
People will bash them but I loved the S.Drives. Cheap summer tires that perform well for the price. That said they dont last long if you drive aggressive.
Comp 2 would be your best choice for long lasting performance tire.
Never tried the Nitto.

What car is this going on?

FullFledgedYYC
05-07-2016, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by ee2k
I need a new set of summer/performance tires for a two door coupe, on 19" wheels. Options in order of cost are:

- B.F.Goodrich g-Force™ Comp 2™ A/S

Well it seems you eliminated one option...

tch7
05-07-2016, 11:32 AM
I got the BFG g-Force Comp 2 last month, replacing S-drives. So far I'd say the Comp 2s are better in every way than the S-drives ever were.

Only got 2 summers out of the S-drives before one blew out on me at the end of last summer, though the tread was practically gone on all of them. Even when they were new, they were louder than my winters, and not especially grippy.

Minimalist
05-07-2016, 11:53 AM
Two summers out of my S-Drives in 2012 as well, louder than my winter studded tires near the end of the second summer. Switched to a more tour type tire and regret the move every time I'm driving, I'd like to try an S-Drive like tire again but not under the Yokohama brand.

Had I listened to TireBob, I'd have bought the correct tire but I thought I knew better. Listen to the experienced guru next time.

heavyD
05-09-2016, 08:24 AM
Man S-Drives are old tires. OP are Continental Extremecontact DW an option? Better tire than all the tires you listed and can be had usually at an affordable price.

rage2
05-09-2016, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by FullFledgedYYC
Well it seems you eliminated one option...
I wouldn't discount it based on the all season moniker. The new breed of high performance all season tires have grip levels equal to the average summer performance tire. While I haven't tried the comp2 a/s, I've driven cars with Michelin's Pilot Sport AS3 which is in the same category, and the grip is amazing for an all season, just a small step below the PSS's.

bjstare
05-09-2016, 09:09 AM
Is there a reason you're not looking at Hankook Ventus V12 Evo? They wore fast, but I liked them.

tirebob
05-09-2016, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by rage2

I wouldn't discount it based on the all season moniker. The new breed of high performance all season tires have grip levels equal to the average summer performance tire. While I haven't tried the comp2 a/s, I've driven cars with Michelin's Pilot Sport AS3 which is in the same category, and the grip is amazing for an all season, just a small step below the PSS's.

Bang on rage2... Many of the modern all season tires are still very good performance tires. Yes you do sacrifice a bit of pure, hardcore cornering traction, but you improve in most every other way such as road noise, wet traction, durability and cost. Most people think they drive harder than they actually do, and they really do not need these crazy levels of sport tire they think they do. That said, some do absolutely benefit from the more hardcore summer tires. It just depends what you need individually.

Originally posted by heavyD
Man S-Drives are old tires. OP are Continental Extremecontact DW an option? Better tire than all the tires you listed and can be had usually at an affordable price.

Great tire if you want a summer tire that is directly comparable to something like a Michelin Pilot SuperSport, but usually a bit better value...

Originally posted by cjblair
Is there a reason you're not looking at Hankook Ventus V12 Evo? They wore fast, but I liked them.

Disco'd now unfortunately, but they were well liked by their followers...

D'z Nutz
05-09-2016, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by rage2
I've driven cars with Michelin's Pilot Sport AS3 which is in the same category, and the grip is amazing for an all season, just a small step below the PSS's.

Yup. I bought a set of AS3's just prior to the Ghost Lake Winter Driver Training event a couple winters ago and the organizers were shocked at how grippy they were for an all-season.