PDA

View Full Version : Portland or San Francisco?

Feruk
05-12-2016, 11:26 AM
What’s better for a trip where you’d fly in Friday AM and fly out Sunday PM? Wife and I are looking to get away for the weekend in a few weeks, and these two are the cheapest.

asp integra
05-12-2016, 11:32 AM
I have never been to Portland, but I have been to San Fran and loved it. Spent one day walking around the entire city, really cool place to check out. Great restaurants, sightseeing, sporting events, hikes, etc.

max_boost
05-12-2016, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by asp integra
I have never been to Portland, but I have been to San Fran and loved it. Spent one day walking around the entire city, really cool place to check out. Great restaurants, sightseeing, sporting events, hikes, etc. :thumbsup:

But have heard/read/seen some great stuff about Portland too. From a pure hipster/trendy/Instagram stand point, SF probably cooler lol

Rocket1k78
05-12-2016, 11:42 AM
Same here, SF is an amazing place and would be perfect for a quickie. Theres lots to see and do there and you dont need a car. Weather is all over the place though, we went in july and the morning was brisk, by lunch it was nice and hot then around 4 it was really cold. My cousin lives there and they said the summers always like that

Strider
05-12-2016, 12:33 PM
I'd do Portland for a weekend trip. There's more to do in the vicinity of SF (Napa, Silicon Valley, PCH) that I'd combine into a longer trip.

riander5
05-12-2016, 12:44 PM
If you like beer - go to portland

Also watch as much portlandia before you go as possible

Feruk
05-12-2016, 01:36 PM
My fear is that 2 days is just too little time for San Francisco and we have no option of adding days.

Escape
05-12-2016, 02:37 PM
Is San Francisco safe? Lots of stories regarding safety/homelessness etc

Kloubek
05-12-2016, 03:00 PM
Went to both last summer/fall. We took a road trip along the coast, ending in San Fran.

Portland: Nice city. If your thing is nature (nice parks) and just a relaxing, mind-off-things, Starbucks-sipping stay, this is the place to go.

San Francisco: Far more a trip for entertainment. Lots to see and do. Older style architecture with crazy streets makes for interesting surroundings. You are not leaving nearly enough time to check out all the different stuff there is to see, mind you, so you will likely leave disappointed.

Depending on what area you are in, there are a lot of weirdos, garbage, tents under overpasses, and these areas literally smell like piss. With the exception of the heavy tourist spots, this city is dirty, dirty, dirty. Even though we walked around these somewhat questionable areas, I never really felt unsafe. While there are tons of homeless, they generally leave you alone.

redblack
05-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Casa diablo in Portland is worth a visit

sabad66
05-12-2016, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Went to both last summer/fall. We took a road trip along the coast, ending in San Fran.

Thinking of doing a similar road trip with the fiance and our dog. How long did you take? Do you think 8-9 days is enough for Calgary->San Fran and back? did you stop in Seattle at all?

bjstare
05-12-2016, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by sabad66

Thinking of doing a similar road trip with the fiance and our dog. How long did you take? Do you think 8-9 days is enough for Calgary->San Fran and back? did you stop in Seattle at all?

Seattle is definitely worth stopping in. Pike Place market, and the rock and roll/music musem is really cool. There are other things, but those would be the things I'd hit if I only had a day or two.

Kloubek
05-12-2016, 04:02 PM

Well, we took two weeks but it really depends on a lot of factors. How much do you want to see along the way? Are you taking the costal drive or cutting straight through? How fast do you drive? How many hours in a row are you comfortable driving? Do you want to see a few sites in San Fran, or do you want to see most of them?

Even at 2 weeks, we felt we were cutting it short. But we did spend an entire day in Seattle (I HATE HATE HATE driving in Seattle), an entire day in Portland, an afternoon at some petting zoo on Oregon I think, afternoon in the redwood forest, and on the way back, an entire day in Olympia. All in, we only spend 3 full days in San Francisco and it wasn't nearly enough time to see everything we wanted to see.

So, can you do it in 8-9 days? You can, but you won't be able to get in nearly what you want to see there, and won't be able to really soak in the amazing coast. (It really is gorgeous, and driving along that route is like no other drive I've experienced) I would advise 2 weeks minimum for the trip if you don't want to feel stressed out and rushed.

Strider
05-12-2016, 04:21 PM

More info in these threads:
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/377788/pacific-coast-highway/
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/396355/-spring-break-road-trip-any-beyond-tips-and-tricks-along-the-route/

Consensus seems to be 2 weeks minimum, 3+ weeks is better

Rocket1k78
05-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Feruk
My fear is that 2 days is just too little time for San Francisco and we have no option of adding days.

LOL what do you expect for a 2 day holiday :nut: Anywhere you go will feel rushed

bleu
05-12-2016, 09:06 PM

I did this a couple years ago. We went down the west coast to SF and the up through Las Vegas. It took about 10 days with stops in smaller towns. It was fantastic. We will be going to the Oregon Coast in August. The drive is so relaxing...mainly because I'm the co-pilot the entire way.

unkicrackie99
05-13-2016, 06:27 AM
Also did that road trip last year. It was about a 3 week long trip, I stayed in a nicer neighbourhood in Oakland that was basically Berkeley as Oakland is apparently pretty sketchy. :rofl: San Francisco has an additional rental fee in the city but there is a bunch of listings in the Bay Area as Airbnb was founded here.

I cannot say much for Portland as I only stopped there for a greasy Jack in the Box burger. :barf:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskbuSuE4

Feruk
05-13-2016, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by Rocket1k78
LOL what do you expect for a 2 day holiday :nut: Anywhere you go will feel rushed
Untrue. I've been to a few nice cities where 2 days is more than enough. Example: Ljubljana.

dibbz
05-13-2016, 08:19 AM
I did the west coast road trip last summer. My route was

Calgary - Vancouver - Seattle - Portland - Crescent City (rest stop) - San Francisco - Portland - Calgary

You can do Calgary to Portland drive in 13 hours and Portland to San Francisco in 10 hours. That was my straight shot on the return leg only stopping for gas. If you got any questions let me know.

taemo
05-20-2016, 02:49 PM
it all depends on what you want to do.

I've only been to Portland once on our way to Astoria and thought it was meh, just like Seattle.
But if you're a nature lover, there's lots to see around Oregon.

San Francisco IMO is a nicer getaway, better weather, more landmarks than Portland.
Been twice now, 3-4 days each trip, first time in San Francisco only (Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz, Chinatown, etc), second time we stayed 2 nights in Monterey and 2 nights in SF.

We're going back again next weekend and this time we're doing 2 nights in Yosemite and 1 night in SF

Mitsu3000gt
05-20-2016, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Escape
Is San Francisco safe? Lots of stories regarding safety/homelessness etc

That was actually the only thing I didn't like about SF. Homeless people and crack heads EVERYWHERE. On every bus, on every corner, on every street. Some of them were annoying, others kept to themselves. None seemed to be much of a problem though other than they made everyone uneasy, but in broad daylight probably less to worry about. We didn't walk around at night much and when we did it was crowded with so many tourists you felt safe.

bjstare
05-20-2016, 09:18 PM
We didn't feel unsafe at all in SF. Lots of junkies and bums, but I'd much rather spend time around them than the angry drunk natives that walk around in our city sometimes. :dunno:

Feruk
05-31-2016, 03:48 PM
We decided to extend the trip to 6 days and go to San Fran. Any tips on where to stay? I read about Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf. Preference between those two, or somewhere else perhaps? We're food and sightseeing people, not shopping folk.

asp integra
05-31-2016, 04:32 PM
We decided to extend the trip to 6 days and go to San Fran. Any tips on where to stay? I read about Union Square and Fisherman's Wharf. Preference between those two, or somewhere else perhaps? We're food and sightseeing people, not shopping folk.

My wife and I stayed at the Best Western in fisherman's wharf when we were there. Nice hotel and close to everything. One day we did a walk all around san fran that took a few hours but it was a great way to see the city.

suntan
05-31-2016, 04:55 PM
I love SF.

Driving in SF proper is hell. Don't.

taemo
05-31-2016, 09:16 PM

for our last night in SF, we stayed at Grant Plaza hotel, which is just south of Chinatown and Union Square.
not the nicest and comfiest hotel but was convenient and inexpensive since the wife wanted to go shopping at Uniqlo, plus walking distance to dim sum places in the morning for breakfast.

Fishermans Wharf side would be less noiser, can walk by the bay, walking distance to the Pier 39 and Ghirardellis store (hot chocolate and dessert are awesome!), Lombard street. Alcatraz.
Also from up Jones street, you get a really nice view of Alcatraz.
Never been impressed by Pier 39 but you should try Boudin's clam chowder on a bread bowl

also maybe stay walking distance by the cable car lines (Powell st) which is also $7 one way per person.
but it will allow you to go from Fishermans wharf to Union Square very easily.

max_boost
05-31-2016, 11:33 PM
Hyatt union square.

Cabs everywhere. Hop on hop off bus gets you around to all the touristy places and a couple loops will familiarize you wth the city. Your wife will want to shop some too, union square perfect.

nj2Type-S
07-27-2016, 02:00 AM
alright, so my wife and i decided today that we'll take a week off from work in the middle of august to drive around lol. we're going to vancouver, seattle and portland. what are your guys' "must go to" places in portland? i kinda just wanna go on an eating frenzy.

FixedGear
07-27-2016, 05:55 AM
I've been to both cities several times. Both are great, but as I get older, the constant massive crowds in SF are getting to me. Imagine being stuck in the world's busiest shopping mall or airport for your entire trip. It's really bad, there are long lines everywhere and you can hardly walk down the streets. I'll return to SF, but for a relaxing weekend with the wife, I'd choose Portland.

killramos
07-20-2017, 11:16 AM
Decided to bump an old thread, doing a last minute trip into SF for the long weekend. Looks like Alcatraz is all booked already, doubt I am going to stand in line at 5AM to get same day tickets but I suppose that is an option.

So for a trip skipping Alcatraz what are peoples next best things to do and see? Double Decker bus type tour etc. Think we will stick the the city of SF itself for such a short trip.

Any restaurant reservations that I should make in advance that are must do's?

Staying in Union Square, Friday night to Monday night.

TIA

88CRX
07-20-2017, 11:42 AM
Decided to bump an old thread, doing a last minute trip into SF for the long weekend. Looks like Alcatraz is all booked already, doubt I am going to stand in line at 5AM to get same day tickets but I suppose that is an option.

So for a trip skipping Alcatraz what are peoples next best things to do and see? Double Decker bus type tour etc. Think we will stick the the city of SF itself for such a short trip.

Any restaurant reservations that I should make in advance that are must do's?

Staying in Union Square, Friday night to Monday night.

TIA

San Fran is an amazing city!

- Go to a baseball game (dress warm its freezing in that stadium on the water). Go early and do a lap around the entire stadium. Get the garlic fries. Beers are super expensive!
- Hop on/off buss tour is great for seeing all the touristy places (wharf, golden gate bridge, etc). We also used it for getting around for a couple days as its relatively quick, you can get multi day passes. Take the buss tour as soon as you get there as they’ll have restaurant recommendations and ideas on what to do, helps plan remaining days there as you get to see so many areas and check stuff out.
- Weather is crazy, can go from freezing to hot, back to freezing quicker then the temperature swings here.
- Wear comfy shoes, you will walk a lot!
- The Wharf should be checked out but its super touristy. Get the clam chowder in the bread bowl, eat the bowl when you’re done. Hate yourself after.
- There is a ton of shopping around union square. Tons.
- Alcatraz was cool, we did the night tour which is suppose to be the better one. If you can get same day tickets for regular tour or night tour do it.
- We didn’t eat in China town but its walking distance from union square if that’s your thing.
- Bus tours don’t go to the ‘painted ladies’ anymore. If you want to see those you need to get off and walk to see them.
- The lines to ride the street cars are massive! Specifically the line/stop in union square will be a mile long and it takes for ever. People were lining up hours before they start running in the morning. Avoid that station at all costs. We took the hop on/off buss to the wharf, walked around for the day and then took the trolley car from the wharf back to union square one night, we still waited over an hour at the Wharf. Also you need cash to pay to ride the trolley.
- Eat at In & Out, its near the Wharf as well. Animal style highly recommended.
- There’s an area a couple blocks away from union square that is supposedly super ghetto, the ‘tenderloin’ which I think we stumbled through, didn’t seem that bad.

killramos
07-20-2017, 12:01 PM
Sweet, I'm getting excited for sure.

Its just going to be great to get out of town and relax seeing some new sights for a couple days. Should be pretty fun!

BavarianBeast
07-20-2017, 01:22 PM
I've spent a fair bit of time in both Portland and San Francisco. Portland is a cool city, but there really isn't that much to see there.

SF on the other hand.. Too much to do!

If you could do one thing, and one thing only..

I would rent bicycles from Basically Free Bicycle rentals which is downtown. Ride the bikes over the golden gate bridge to Sausalito and spend sometime exploring and eating lunch there. From Sausalito you can either ride the bike up the gruelling hill (about 41km return, not too bad for anybody in decent shape) and back over into SF, or you can take the ferry directly from Sausalito back to the downtown bay area.

They call it Basically Free Bicycle rentals because the $50 that you spend on the rental can go directly toward buying something from their store.

Maxx Mazda
07-20-2017, 02:36 PM
I'm in Portland a few times a month on overnights. It's one of my
Favourite layovers. Cheapest beer I've found in the USA. Lots of weird and friendly people!

Sentry
07-21-2017, 02:08 PM
When I was in SF I snapped a pic of myself in front of the pyramid with my "triangles" shirt.

Selfie game on point. Ha! Get it?

http://i.imgur.com/neynAmO.jpg

timdog
07-24-2017, 09:19 AM
i've been to portland many times - and one time was for just a 2 day trip like you are doing. It's great. I would recommend you rent a car right at the airport. With the little time you have, a rental car will just make things a lot easier in my opinion. There isnt one place in portland you'll want to stay, you'll want to venture around a bit. here's my recommendation. stay in the Alberta district at an airbnb, or at the Kennedy School nearby (amazing experience you'll never forget). in the morning, go get some amazing breakfast at Tin Shed or some of the other awesome spots on Alberta, then go to Forest Park, or drive 25 mins out of the city to some of the waterfalls/hikes and spend a couple hours doing that, then come back early afternoon and have lunch and start drinking beer (pearl, downtown, hawthorne, overlook, and other areas all have great pubs and restaurants - PM me if you are a beer nerd and want specifics). get some ice cream at salt and straw back near where you are staying on Alberta in the evening and repeat on day 2. you'll have a great time and you'll feel like you had a long 2 days.

P.s. the above recommendations assume you are ok with hipster culture and weird vegan hippies.