PDA

View Full Version : Internet cuts out every hour, how do I fix it?

Kobe
05-15-2016, 12:08 AM
So my laptop is connected to an ethernet cable and it's been disconnecting for a few seconds at a time.

I decided to check when it disconnects each time, it seems it disconnects every hour..Exactly every hour...

10:02PM
11:02PM
11:03AM

Any idea why this is happening and how to fix this? It's annoying and very frustrating when I'm trying to work..

revelations
05-15-2016, 12:18 AM
DCHP lease time = 60 minutes ?

HomespunLobster
05-15-2016, 12:18 AM
Have you tried unplugging your router (for 30 seconds or so) and plugging it back in? I do that every few weeks when my router starts acting up

pheoxs
05-15-2016, 08:36 AM
When it's about to disconnect, open a command prompt and ping your router repeatedly (ping X.x.x.x -t ) and see if that connection drops (to see if it's your laptop to the router or if it's router to the Internet)

Star1995
05-15-2016, 11:27 AM
I had the same problem. Find your DHCP lease time in your router settings, I changed mine to be 1000000 and it fixed the problem.

Kobe
05-15-2016, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by revelations
DCHP lease time = 60 minutes ?

it shows it at 0 which is infinity correct? Unless I'm in the wrong section..

http://i.imgur.com/euN45ae.png

Originally posted by HomespunLobster
Have you tried unplugging your router (for 30 seconds or so) and plugging it back in? I do that every few weeks when my router starts acting up

I've tried this no cigar..

Originally posted by pheoxs
When it's about to disconnect, open a command prompt and ping your router repeatedly (ping X.x.x.x -t ) and see if that connection drops (to see if it's your laptop to the router or if it's router to the Internet)

Will try this!

Originally posted by Star1995
I had the same problem. Find your DHCP lease time in your router settings, I changed mine to be 1000000 and it fixed the problem.

It's at zero..

revelations
05-15-2016, 01:11 PM
MTU is not Lease time. It might be located in the Setup section.

Note - these Shaw devices are a joke. Get your own router/WIFI ASAP and turn this POS into a dumb modem. Nothing but issues.

Even if you change a setting now, shaw might perform an OTA upgrade and nullify any changes.

01RedDX
05-15-2016, 01:33 PM

Kobe
05-15-2016, 01:43 PM
MTU is not Lease time. It might be located in the Setup section.

Note - these Shaw devices are a joke. Get your own router/WIFI ASAP and turn this POS into a dumb modem. Nothing but issues.

Even if you change a setting now, shaw might perform an OTA upgrade and nullify any changes.

They sure are, we have a good router upstairs so we have signal in the whole house..

Anyways I've just contacted Shaw and it's packets being lost at the port of entry for the ethernet cable, they are going to fix it with some sort of amplifier next week..

Originally posted by 01RedDX

Especially this Cisco one. Insist on their "advanced modem" which I believe all internet customers qualify for now. Used to be only higher tier customers. It's a better unit.

Try setting the MTU size to 1500 and DHCP lease time is typically 1 week.

I had a worse one before this one actually, I'm going to make them change it when they come, the old one didnt really have issues either..

revelations
05-15-2016, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

They sure are, we have a good router upstairs so we have signal in the whole house..

Um, I assume the upstairs router is acting as a simple bridge/repeater then? (not a dual router situation)

Kobe
05-15-2016, 04:19 PM

Um, I assume the upstairs router is acting as a simple bridge/repeater then? (not a dual router situation)

yah correct that one doesn't go out..