PDA

View Full Version : Improving cellphone reception?

Mista Bob
06-07-2016, 03:11 AM
Was wondering if there was any way to get better reception, as it's pretty on and off in my house and often have no reception at all.
I've seen some things online that are basically a sticker with some wires in it or something that can be placed in the phone behind the battery. But do they actually work? Any other options out there?

Zhariak
06-07-2016, 05:53 AM
Originally posted by Mista Bob
Was wondering if there was any way to get better reception, as it's pretty on and off in my house and often have no reception at all.
I've seen some things online that are basically a sticker with some wires in it or something that can be placed in the phone behind the battery. But do they actually work? Any other options out there?

What type of phone?

Most providers provide Wifi Calling for iPhones now. Routes calls through you're own WiFi and Internet connection.

I've got crap reception at my house, and I've been waiting for Rogers to enable this for non-iPhones.

CompletelyNumb
06-07-2016, 06:36 AM
https://www.wilsonamplifiers.com/building-kits/

They work.

Mista Bob
06-08-2016, 09:05 AM
Dang tad pricey, not sure if I use my cellphone enough for one of those to be worth it.

Originally posted by Zhariak

What type of phone?

Most providers provide Wifi Calling for iPhones now. Routes calls through you're own WiFi and Internet connection.

I've got crap reception at my house, and I've been waiting for Rogers to enable this for non-iPhones.

It's a Sony Xperia with Bell, forget the exact model but it's one of the lower ones.

sabad66
06-08-2016, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Zhariak

What type of phone?

:werd:

Upgrading to a wifi-calling enabled iphone will be a quick fix for you assuming your provider supports it

roopi
06-08-2016, 09:39 AM
I've seen some things online that are basically a sticker with some wires in it or something that can be placed in the phone behind the battery. But do they actually work? [/B]

These definitely don't work.

Mitsu3000gt
06-08-2016, 09:46 AM
Pretty much everyone has WhatsApp these days, you can make free WiFi calls through that if you need a workaround every now and then. If your reception is consistently crap though, maybe look at a different provider.

rage2
06-08-2016, 09:49 AM
I don't get wifi calling at all from telcos. They charge you to make calls on your network which is retarded. If I was to make a wifi call, I'd just use FaceTime audio or Hangouts or something else that's free.

Thaco
06-08-2016, 09:51 AM
i just dont use my phone, and use facebook messenger over wifi for IM'ing and the odd call to family.

sabad66
06-08-2016, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by rage2
I don't get wifi calling at all from telcos. They charge you to make calls on your network which is retarded. If I was to make a wifi call, I'd just use FaceTime audio or Hangouts or something else that's free.
to me it's a stability improvement. Even with the big providers and latest phones i always had shitty reception (even for text messages) in basements/random dead spots. With wifi calling/texting it's no longer an issue.

rage2
06-08-2016, 10:40 AM
Glad I don't use text messages anymore. It's so unreliable, always has been always will be. Still remember the good old days of Telus SMS servers fucking up and losing 3 days worth of texts, or a massive flood of texts when they recover. :rofl:

Mitsu3000gt
06-08-2016, 10:49 AM
I don't think many people text at all anymore, do they? WhatsApp, Hangouts, and similar programs have made texting pretty obsolete, especially now that it's encrypted. Media sharing is vastly superior as well.

The only time I have seen the data-based chat programs fail is on company WiFi, must be blocked somehow internally, but on LTE it's flawless.

sabad66
06-08-2016, 11:01 AM
i still text my android friends if it's just to 1 person. any media/group messages is imessage/whatsapp for sure.

reason being is that a lot of people i know kind of treat whatsapp as a lower priority because it's mostly group messages/non urgent banter.