PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip - USA in the Westy

BavarianBeast
06-13-2016, 01:56 PM
Hey guys,

After some hard thinking I decided to put in my notice at my job on Friday. I was working in a career where I was getting up everyday for a job I was not enjoying and working with people I hated. I am very excited about what the future holds..

Now, my fiancée and I have been talking and we've decided that now will be an excellent time to travel. We are kicking it off with a trip down to Chicago, Route 66 to LA, up the Oregon Coast and back home to potentially go to Europe/Africa.

I am just wondering how many other people have done this trip or something similar? We are planning to be on the road for roughly 4-5 weeks.

What's worth while stopping for? Anything we should bring? What's the camping like in the USA as we plan to spend about 80% of our nights in the Westfalia.

Thanks for all the advice, and if anybody has any other great travel ideas for the next 3-4 months, we are certainly open to ideas!

Cheers,
BB

lasimmon
06-13-2016, 02:07 PM
I have done the PCH from San Fran to Seaside. We did it over about 10 days. We had surf boards and did a lot of surfing and stuff.

Camping we just stayed in state parks for like 15 bucks a night I think.

ExtraSlow
06-13-2016, 04:25 PM
National Forests have good cheap camping too, much cheaper than national parks. I know Washington has a ton of those, and other states on your way probably do as well.

kaput
06-13-2016, 05:32 PM

BavarianBeast
06-14-2016, 09:20 AM
Thanks for the tips so far.

Yeah, it is a huge u-turn but I am incredibly relieved and I can look at buying another sports car when I am back and employed :). The M3 is still providing daily joy anyways!

mzdspd
06-14-2016, 09:28 AM
I am definitely jealous.. I have always wanted to do a trip across america and up the coast.
How long are taking this road trip for? What kind of car are you taking?
I am doing a smaller scale road trip, doing Edmonton-Portland-Seattle-Vancouver-Whistler. Probably going to do the highway to the sun.

Also, Airbnb has saved me a ton of money from staying at hotels so check that out

hurrdurr
06-14-2016, 10:42 AM
^ Did you even read the OP?

BavarianBeast
06-14-2016, 11:27 AM
We plan to be on the road for 4-5 weeks but we are not in any rush so if it takes us longer, no problem.

We are taking a 1989 Westfalia Vanagon I just purchased. Should be a fun journey!

mzdspd
06-14-2016, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by hurrdurr
^ Did you even read the OP?
read it.. wrote response.. reread it and found answer :nut: