View Full Version : OnePlus 3

D'z Nutz
06-15-2016, 11:44 AM
Latest Flagship Killer™ released.

https://oneplus.net/ca_en/3

CA$519.00

Xtrema
06-15-2016, 11:49 AM
Good price, don't like camera bump, wish they give us more battery instead of having a camera bump.

Disoblige
06-15-2016, 11:54 AM
Dual nano sim, nice!

spike98
06-15-2016, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Dual nano sim, nice!

The 6P will also have dual nano sim support soon. The hardware is there and the dev's at xda are working on it (or at least there is a big bounty).

While the OnePlus 3 looks like a killer phone, the software updates and support from oneplus make it a deal breaker for me.

Hero_X
06-15-2016, 12:52 PM
I saw that and was so disappointed by a 1080p screen.

And as always, their cameras under perform.

bjstare
06-15-2016, 01:04 PM
I have a One Plus One still. I will absolutely not be buying another one of these, will be going back to Nexus (had two of them previously).

As mentioned, software updates suck the hind tit. This is a huge deal for me, and one of the reason I loved my nexus phones. Furthermore, while on paper this phone was a flagship killer, in practise it just plain wasn't. Don't know how else to explain it.

Basically my OPO was get-what-you-pay-for. It was less than impressive, but it was 30% cheaper than a new big nexus. I'll be spending the extra money to get the nexus next time.

Xaroxantu Zero
06-15-2016, 01:55 PM
Review:

ycIpOZY03OM

VR/Cardboard is definitely not their priority for this phone, so a 1080p screen is just fine. Uses less battery power, and you won't be able to tell the difference between that and a 2K screen.

Xtrema
06-15-2016, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by cjblair
I have a One Plus One still. I will absolutely not be buying another one of these, will be going back to Nexus (had two of them previously).

As mentioned, software updates suck the hind tit. This is a huge deal for me, and one of the reason I loved my nexus phones. Furthermore, while on paper this phone was a flagship killer, in practise it just plain wasn't. Don't know how else to explain it.

Basically my OPO was get-what-you-pay-for. It was less than impressive, but it was 30% cheaper than a new big nexus. I'll be spending the extra money to get the nexus next time.

Still on OPO as well and 3 has nothing I want to upgrade to. I want 1440p for better VR experience and this doesn't do it.

I really don't mind Cyanogen 13. Patches seems to comes in every 2 months or so. Can't comment on the Oxygen OS that is now shipped with OnePlus. I heard it's shit.

I think the price is fine since it beats all phones that is $300-$500 more than this from benchmarks alone.

May look into next Nexus but problem is it will be built by HTC and not sure they will do a good job. They have hits and misses for the last few years.

schocker
06-15-2016, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Xtrema
May look into next Nexus but problem is it will be built by HTC and not sure they will do a good job. They have hits and misses for the last few years.
Should be two versions though so maybe another manufacturer also. I am looking to upgrade from my GS6 to the next N6 perhaps as I am tired of waiting ten years for each android update. I am still running 5.1.1 since bell put the update on hold. Telus only got it about a month ago though.

SportEL
06-15-2016, 04:38 PM
I have the OP2. They just updated to Marshmallow recently. It's awesome.

By the way, Cyanogenmod did the software updates for the OPO. OnePlus has their own in house software team now.

Mitsu3000gt
06-16-2016, 09:36 AM

Still on OPO as well and 3 has nothing I want to upgrade to. I want 1440p for better VR experience and this doesn't do it.

I really don't mind Cyanogen 13. Patches seems to comes in every 2 months or so. Can't comment on the Oxygen OS that is now shipped with OnePlus. I heard it's shit.

I think the price is fine since it beats all phones that is $300-$500 more than this from benchmarks alone.

Nobody knows who is making the Nexuses this year. Two different Huawei executives have said they are doing it as well, so there has been no confirmation either way. One could also be referring to a tablet. There are also (weak) rumors of a 3-year deal with HTC, with google possibly grooming them for a buyout to take everything in house.

The HTC 10 is easily one of the best phones of 2016, so if there is a Nexus or two based off that it will probably be excellent. HTC has some of the best hardware around, particularly on the audio side, and I don't think Google would allow them to make anything like the M9 again. The One M9 was their low point, and it seems like they quickly learned their lesson.

Every review I've seen so far on the OP3 basically says it's a good phone for $399 (USD) but still a long ways from the best phones in several areas. I think they dropped their "flagship killer" marketing this time around.

Phones are actually pretty boring these days, the basic formula for a great phone is so obvious that the market shits on your for doing anything else (SD 820, QHD screen, 3-6GB ram, quick charge, metal/glass build, good camera). The main areas of competition these days are in things like camera quality, battery life, waterproofing, styling, audio, etc.

Manhattan
06-16-2016, 10:40 AM
Sometimes it's worth upgrading just so your phone doesn't become completely obsolete and unwanted when it comes to resale time. You only pay a small marginal cost for the latest phone with added features.

GTR_Auto
06-16-2016, 02:18 PM
Nexus 5 broke last night so I ordered one of these. Originally I was waiting for the new Nexus (I have heard launch in August), so hopefully this is will be just as good!

Mitsu3000gt
06-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Looks like the OP3 is throttling the RAM, and it gets beaten pretty handily by a GS7 in those "real world speed tests" despite the GS7 having to deal with both TouchWiz and over 50% more pixels:

http://www.slashgear.com/oneplus-3-throttles-its-6-gb-ram-in-favor-of-battery-life-19444896/

It's of course cheaper, but it seems to support some earlier comments that they don't live up to their specs on paper.

Xtrema
06-20-2016, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Looks like the OP3 is throttling the RAM, and it gets beaten pretty handily by a GS7 in those "real world speed tests" despite the GS7 having to deal with both TouchWiz and over 50% more pixels:

http://www.slashgear.com/oneplus-3-throttles-its-6-gb-ram-in-favor-of-battery-life-19444896/

It's of course cheaper, but it seems to support some earlier comments that they don't live up to their specs on paper.

Give me more battery and more pixels. That's why OP3 never sold on me. 3GB is plenty for me. I don't need 6GB.

Mitsu3000gt
06-20-2016, 01:51 PM

Give me more battery and more pixels. That's why OP3 never sold on me. 3GB is plenty for me. I don't need 6GB.

Battery life is apparently why they throttle it, but it still doesn't have the greatest battery life either.

The regular 2.5 - 3 day battery life on the 6P has turned out to be one of my favorite features by far. I think it would be hard to go back to any less after living with this for a while. I didn't think I'd care that much but I love it. That also means I'm probably going to be tied to 5.5-5.7" phones from now on too haha.

Disoblige
06-20-2016, 03:02 PM
I wish Samsung just made a bulky S7 active with a 10,000 mAh battery. I don't care if it's bulkier. It would be the most practical phone ever haha. I already put an ottercase on my phone, how big could it be.

Mitsu3000gt
06-20-2016, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by Disoblige
I wish Samsung just made a bulky S7 active with a 10,000 mAh battery. I don't care if it's bulkier. It would be the most practical phone ever haha. I already put an ottercase on my phone, how big could it be.

They do but it's exclusive to AT&T in the states and has a 4,000 mAh battery (which is still huge by any standard for a phone). I agree with you, but it seems most people prefer to gain minimal ruggedness, zero battery increase, and use a case to make their phone just as large instead. I think "rugged" editions are awesome ideas and I know numerous people who would benefit from owning them haha. Samsung is one of the only companies (if not the only one) making a rugged version of a flagship device.

Kobe
06-21-2016, 01:39 AM
Damn I just got the OnePlustwo about a month ago, I didn't even think about a new model coming out...

spike98
06-21-2016, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Limiting the amount of ram used is not the whole picture. XDA seems to think the performance overall is quite good and the best one plus phone to date.

http://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3-performance-throttling-and-thermals-analysis-redeeming-the-oneplus-2/

GoChris
06-21-2016, 02:53 PM
I was pretty excited about this by reading this review, however the display kills the deal.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10411/the-oneplus-3-review

Mitsu3000gt
06-21-2016, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by spike98

Limiting the amount of ram used is not the whole picture. XDA seems to think the performance overall is quite good and the best one plus phone to date.

http://www.xda-developers.com/oneplus-3-performance-throttling-and-thermals-analysis-redeeming-the-oneplus-2/

That does look better, thanks for the link. The "real world" tests (where they open/close/multitask,etc.) still shows it's quite a bit slower though which is odd considering it has more RAM, less resolution to push, and no TouchWiz to deal with.

The screen seems to measure pretty terrible though - that's the wrong area to cheap out on IMHO.