PDA

View Full Version : OFFICIAL: 2016 - 2017 NHL thread

Pages : [1] 2 3

D'z Nutz
06-19-2016, 05:23 PM
Draft day in less then a week so may as well start a new thread.

Rumours are suggesting that Strombo is out and MacLean is back in as host of HNIC:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey/2016/06/19/ron-maclean-to-replace-strombo-on-hockey-night-in-canada-feschuk.html

Ron MacLean to replace Strombo on Hockey Night in Canada: Feschuk

George Stroumboulopoulos was originally hired to draw younger viewers, but his ouster may mark a return to the show’s old ways.

George Stroumboulopoulos won’t return as host of Hockey Night in Canada next season, sources tell the Star.

His replacement will be the man he replaced. Industry insiders say Ron MacLean is expected to return to the show’s No. 1 seat just two seasons after Stroumboulopoulos was hired with much fanfare in the wake of Rogers’ $5.2-billion acquisition of NHL broadcasting rights. Prior to that, MacLean occupied the job from 1986 until 2014. Since then, he has hosted Sunday night Hometown Hockey broadcasts and worked Saturdays alongside Don Cherry on Coach’s Corner. It’s expected he will continue those roles in addition to resuming the main HNIC hosting gig — the highest-profile position in Canadian sports broadcasting.

The ouster of Stroumboulopoulos marks a strategic about-face for Rogers, which sublicenses Hockey Night in Canada to CBC. In 2014, executives remade the iconic Saturday night show while speaking of the need to bring it to a younger demographic.

“We want to get a new breed of Canadian fans that get passionate about the games,” Scott Moore, president of Sportsnet and NHL properties, told reporters after Stroumboulopoulos’s hiring was announced in 2014. “I think George does that.”

Whether or not Stroumboulopoulos succeeded in luring in younger viewers, his presence didn’t do much for the show’s overall ratings, which have been lagging since he arrived. The reasons for that trend, of course, can hardly be laid at the feet of one on-air personality. It hasn’t helped that the ratings-driving Maple Leafs have struggled through a couple of seasons in which they finished 27th and 30th in the 30-team league, nor that this spring marked just the second time in the century-plus history of the NHL a Canadian team didn’t make the playoffs.

“If the Leafs won the Cup this year, would the focus be on George?” wondered one insider.

With his penchant for skinny suits and a resume that included time as a MuchMusic veejay and 10 years as host of a CBC TV talk show, Stroumboulopoulos was different by design. Moore embraced the new host’s uniqueness at his 2014 unveiling: “He’ll sort of be like that Sesame Street thing — one of these things is not like the others — but he’ll bring something different and his own unique take on hockey broadcasting,” Moore said.

But with ratings down, insiders say executives suggested to Stroumboulopoulos that he tweak his appearance to be less jarring to some mainstream eyes. A trip to the tailor for a more conventional wardrobe was on the list of polite requests.

“In George, they bought a well-established brand, and suddenly they wanted to change the brand,” said one insider.

Stroumboulopoulos, who maintains a foothold at CBC with his acclaimed Sunday-night rock radio show and busies himself with a varity of passions that include motorcycling, is admired by supporters for his fiercely independent streak. Sources say he didn’t appear to see the need for a makeover.

The imminent re-emergence of MacLean, an avowed hockey junkie with a seemingly encyclopedic knowledge of NHLers and their various family members, is hardly the broadcaster’s first recommitment to older ways. Earlier this month it was announced that Cherry, the 82-year-old star of Coach’s Corner, had signed a new multi-year contract. In the early days of the Rogers deal, Cherry wasn’t shy about complaining that his show had been marginalized. “You gotta pay attention to me, because I don’t get much time,” he complained on his show in November 2014.

The Rogers takeover brought with it an influx of new talent that also led to a reduction in the prominence of iconic play-by-play man Bob Cole, 82. This past season, though, saw Cole’s role increased to include assignments that continued into the conference finals.

Stroumboulopoulos, 43, did not respond to repeated messages seeking comment. In an email, MacLean, 56, said he remains committed to his roles on Coach’s Corner and Hometown Hockey, but said he could not comment on the upcoming season until his superiors “finalize their 2016-17 plans.”

One insider cautioned that, at a time of transition for the broadcaster — in April, Hockey Night in Canada production head Gord Cutler was let go and Rob Corte was put in charge — plans could change. In an email message on Sunday, Moore dismissed talk of next season’s lineup as “simply speculation.”

“(We) have not finalized our plans for next season as the current one is not over,” Moore wrote. “Once we have solidified our plans, I will be happy to comment.”

If true, it's a shame. I've always liked Strombo and think he's a great interviewer. There's more problems with the Rogers production that should be addressed before pressing the abort button on him so quickly.

BerserkerCatSplat
06-19-2016, 05:34 PM
Bad move, Strombo was the least of their problems. He could have been the world's best moderator and still would have ended up with a crap show when saddled with blowhards like Kypreos and Healy. Rogers just doesn't have the faintest idea how to manage HNIC and Strombo is getting scapegoated. I'm sure Friedman will be next on the chopping block so they can make 100% certain nobody on the panel (apart from MacLean) has a fucking clue.

asp integra
06-22-2016, 03:16 PM
And a Vegas team is approved by the NHL board of governors. http://www.tsn.ca/viva-las-vegas-nhl-adds-31st-team-in-2017-18-1.513485

JohnnyHockey
06-22-2016, 03:44 PM
Does this mean they'll get rid of those cringe worthy segments where they stand around with hockey sticks? Strombo looked the most out of place in those. ..looks like he should be running a Starbucks, once I read that he only started playing ice hockey a couple years ago.

dino_martini
06-22-2016, 03:44 PM
I'm excited to add "Watch a Flames Game" to my Vegas agenda! Yeeehaw!

D'z Nutz
06-22-2016, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by JohnnyHockey
once I read that he only started playing ice hockey a couple years ago.

What does that have to do with anything?

max_boost
06-22-2016, 06:14 PM
^

Infer it as Strombo doesn't know anything about the game? I liked him maybe they want more old school lead? :dunno:

JohnnyHockey
06-22-2016, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz

What does that have to do with anything?

Sorry, but I believe professional commentary should come from someone who knows the game and has actually played it on a high level? Wouldn't you agree...I mean it's ok for us fans to just talk amongst ourselves, but an outfit like HNIC should have people who really know what they're talking about...

D'z Nutz
06-22-2016, 10:50 PM

Sorry, but I believe professional commentary should come from someone who knows the game and has actually played it on a high level? Wouldn't you agree...I mean it's ok for us fans to just talk amongst ourselves, but an outfit like HNIC should have people who really know what they're talking about...

No, I don't agree.

Kypreos, Stock, and Healy all played in the NHL (two of which have Stanley cup rings) and they're fucking idiots. Milbury has been a player, coach, and GM and he's one of the worst analysts out there. I'll give Roenick a pass cause I think he's hilarious, but he's not very bright either. Meanwhile, two of the most respectable analysts in Bob McKenzie and Elliotte Friedman never played at a high level.

And what makes you think he doesn't know what he's talking about? He's been a Habs fan all his life, started his broadcasting career in sports radio with Elliotte Friedman and Jeff Marek over 20 years ago, and he's interviewed a lot of high profile hockey personalities in his career prior to HNIC, including Bettman.

And really, his job is to host the show and keep the conversation going. When the expert go-to guy is Kypreos, you're bound to fail.

lasimmon
06-22-2016, 10:55 PM

Yah this is stupid..

Your comment is like when someone starts a conversation "well I played high level hockey so...." Usually means they are an idiot.

JRSC00LUDE
06-23-2016, 06:59 AM
The entire HNIC format is garbage, worthless. I won't miss Strombo, I don't dislike the guy overall but this fit never fit with me. :dunno:

sputnik
06-23-2016, 08:54 AM
once I read that he only started playing ice hockey a couple years ago.

So which pro league did Ron MacLean play for again?

What about Shane Duthie, Darren Dreger, Elliot Friedman, Bob Mackenzie, Jim Hughson, Bob Cole... need I go on?

lasimmon
06-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by sputnik

Shane Duthie

:eek: :rofl:

Glgyrocks
06-24-2016, 09:15 AM
On another note I really like Florida Panthers new Jersey!!!

Inspired by 101st Airborne Division

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=884701

Quizzes
06-24-2016, 09:22 AM
On the same token, Penguins are going back to their old uniforms.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=887098

BerserkerCatSplat
06-24-2016, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by Glgyrocks
On another note I really like Florida Panthers new Jersey!!!

Inspired by 101st Airborne Division

http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=884701

People are complaining it looks too much like a soccer jersey, but I LOVE it. Massive improvement over the old one, which was one of my least favorite NHL jerseys.

JaffX
06-24-2016, 02:52 PM
Interesting find on twitter:

rage2
06-24-2016, 04:25 PM
I feel like I'm retarded reading that. Anyone understand it? Haha

adam c
06-24-2016, 07:21 PM
How the hell does a 27yo become the GM of an NHL team?

Also.. Rick Nash has listed his 12 teams he would go to, none are Canadian
http://fulltiltnyr.com/rick-nash-submitted-12-team-list-no-canadian-teams/

Mibz
06-24-2016, 08:49 PM
"Rick Nash listed the 12 teams he would go to and all of them made the playoffs last season" is a much less dramatic headline :P

D'z Nutz
06-25-2016, 12:03 AM
Jets were so right to get rid of this walking headache.

http://www.tsn.ca/ap-sabres-kane-investigated-for-harassment-1.515024

BUFFALO, N.Y. — A person familiar with the situation tells The Associated Press that Buffalo police are investigating an allegation that Buffalo Sabres forward Evander Kane physically harassed two women at a downtown Buffalo bar.

The person spoke on the condition of anonymity on Friday because police have not revealed any details of their investigation.

The person said Kane allegedly grabbed the woman by the arm or shoulder early Friday morning. The person said no charges have been filed and no one has been arrested.

Buffalo's WIVB-TV first reported the investigation.

This is Kane's second run-in with trouble in six months. In March, a three-month investigation led prosecutors to rule Kane would not face a sexual assault charge because there was no evidence to support the allegation.

SOAB
06-25-2016, 10:05 AM
grabbed a woman by the shoulders? that's it? what did she say or do to cause that sort of reaction from someone that is constantly under the microscope?

not saying that grabbing some random chick is right, but there is more to the story.

D'z Nutz
06-27-2016, 11:26 AM
Not official news yet, but....

And with Damion Cox not returning to the studio, things are looking better at HNIC.

Leah Hextall has also left for ESPN

https://media0.giphy.com/media/BIuuwHRNKs15C/200.gif

D'z Nutz
06-27-2016, 11:33 AM
Ron's return now official

http://media.sportsnet.ca/2016/06/ron-maclean-returns-to-host-hockey-night-in-canada-alongside-david-amber/

Jun 27, 2016
Ron MacLean Returns to Host Hockey Night in Canada, Alongside David Amber
– Panelists Friedman, Hrudey, and Kypreos back in-studio Saturday nights –
– Millard continues hosting Wednesday Night Hockey with panelists Friedman and Doug MacLean –
– MacLean and Slone visit 24 communities for Year 3 of Rogers Hometown Hockey, Sunday nights –

TORONTO (June 27, 2016) For more than 30 years, Ron MacLean has been a cornerstone of Hockey Night in Canada, and today Sportsnet announced he is returning to host hockey’s biggest night alongside David Amber. MacLean will host Game 1 on Saturday nights with Amber hosting Game 2, and together they will guide Canadians through all of Hockey Night in Canada’s memorable moments and greatest stories.

MacLean will continue to host Coach’s Corner with Don Cherry in the first intermission of Game 1. Following his hosting duties on Saturday nights, MacLean will head out to 24 communities across the country to host Rogers Hometown Hockey with Tara Slone on Sundays throughout the season.

“The impact Ron has had on the game and in communities across the country is immeasurable. Hockey fans, young and old, have a deep connection with him,” said Scott Moore, President of Sportsnet & NHL Properties, Rogers. “David is one of the top sports broadcasters in North America, with a long and impressive resume from both sides of the border. He’s earned this coveted role. With Ron and David at the helm, it’s the perfect mix for hockey’s biggest night.”

Amber has been a reporter with Hockey Night in Canada for the past five years. He has nearly 20 years of sports broadcast experience in both Canada and the U.S., including eight years as anchor and reporter with ESPN, as well as covering four Olympic Games and a two-year stint hosting NHL On The Fly.

“Hockey Night in Canada is a tradition unlike anything else in this country. It’s part of our national DNA, and so is Ron. It’s a balance of giving our fans what they want and evolving the broadcasts to keep them fresh,” said Moore.

After hosting Hockey Night in Canada for the past two seasons, George Stroumboulopoulos will depart the company to explore new creative opportunities.

“George is an extremely versatile and creative broadcaster and we value the contributions he made to Hockey Night in Canada. We look forward to seeing what his next great project will be,” said Moore. “We are continually evaluating and evolving our broadcasts to deliver the best experience for fans.”

Panelists Elliotte Friedman, Kelly Hrudey, and Nick Kypreos join MacLean and Amber in-studio Saturday nights. Daren Millard continues to host Scotiabank Wednesday Night Hockey, alongside panelists Friedman and Doug MacLean.

“As part of our evolution, we will deliver more consistency each night of the week for our national NHL broadcasts. When fans tune in, they will know who they are going to see,” said Moore.

More details regarding Sportsnet’s 2016-17 NHL coverage will be announced in the coming weeks.

max_boost
06-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by SOAB
grabbed a woman by the shoulders? that's it? what did she say or do to cause that sort of reaction from someone that is constantly under the microscope?

not saying that grabbing some random chick is right, but there is more to the story. he was probably being a douche and dropped the do you know who I am line while drunk etc. :rofl:

Excited to see who gets in for the 2016 HHOF class!

rage2
06-27-2016, 12:36 PM
Leah Hextall has also left for ESPN
Really sad about that. She knows her shit, really enjoyed her on the broadcasts, especially when she ripped the Oilers live earlier this year.

Team_Mclaren
06-27-2016, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Really sad about that. She knows her shit, really enjoyed her on the broadcasts, especially when she ripped the Oilers live earlier this year.

WERD.

Jlude
06-27-2016, 03:07 PM
Jets were so right to get rid of this walking headache.

http://www.tsn.ca/ap-sabres-kane-investigated-for-harassment-1.515024

Chevy has only made one player for player trade and it was a good one.

JaffX
06-27-2016, 04:50 PM
I'm glad they removed useless people like Healy and PJ Stock. We don't have to hear them any more :clap: :clap: :clap:

btimbit
06-27-2016, 06:42 PM
Thrilled Healy and Stock are gone.

Upset about Hextall.

JaffX
06-29-2016, 01:31 PM

Lol @ Edmonton

max_boost
06-29-2016, 01:40 PM
holy fuk for real?

:eek:

they couldn't trade Yak for Larsson? Larsson better be close to Karlsson in the next couple years :eek:

BerserkerCatSplat
06-29-2016, 01:46 PM
Hahaha holy shit. Oilers already starting another rebuild! :rofl:

Quizzes
06-29-2016, 01:51 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Chiarelli is the BEST!!

Quizzes
06-29-2016, 01:54 PM
Larsson has been pretty underwhelming for such a high draft pick. Hamonic would've definitely been better than him.

colinxx235
06-29-2016, 01:56 PM
^

Hamonic rescinded his trade request a good month or two ago already. And no way would the islanders want to trade him given his value/contract

ThePlaymaker
06-29-2016, 02:05 PM
Subban for Weber!

Quizzes
06-29-2016, 02:08 PM
What is going on?? It's even better than Trade Deadline Day!!

NRGie
06-29-2016, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by JaffX

Lol @ Edmonton

Fuckkkkkkkk :banghead: :

max_boost
06-29-2016, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Quizzes
What is going on?? It's even better than Trade Deadline Day!! just madness lol

403ep3
06-29-2016, 02:28 PM
TSN and SN must be so choked. Their FA day will be garbage :rofl:

colinxx235
06-29-2016, 02:40 PM
TSN/SN be like

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/r2d/images/8/8c/This-is-madness.gif/revision/latest?cb=20150104194600

Kloubek
06-29-2016, 02:46 PM
Crazy.

Hall for Larsson? Edmonton gets absolutely fleeced on that deal.

Weber for PK? Almost a wash for the players, as PK is a more dynamic scorer, but Weber brings more physicality. But Weber's salary is higher, and he's older. Win for the Preds.

As far as the Stamkos signing goes, I immediately thought - good for him. Hometown discount when he could have got double digits elsewhere. But now I'm hearing rumblings of a possible sign-and-trade scenario....

colinxx235
06-29-2016, 02:53 PM
Yah Edmonton got plugged, I'm surprised they couldn't get a better Dman than that. Shoulda made the hamonic trade last season when they had the chance :rofl:
Gotta love being a flames fan watching that shit show up north.

Weber for PK is a shocker. I'm guessing PK was not happy with everything going on and something didn't sit well in the relationship. Nashville sheds salary and 3 years, gets a pretty good offensive dman.

And I'm stunned Stamkos signed and for 2-2.5 mil less than I expected. But I didn't heard the sign and trade rumor, if so I'm curious to where and what for. If so that is classy on Stamkos part to let the lightning get something back for losing a perennial talent like him.

austic
06-29-2016, 03:06 PM
Tampa has also very favorable tax treatment, so 8 there is like getting 10 in New York

SOAB
06-29-2016, 03:09 PM
better weather as well. Tampa is still pretty competitive as well so it makes sense for him to stay.

asp integra
06-29-2016, 03:15 PM
Yeah, the tax thing is big for Stamkos, 8.5 in tampa you made the same as you would for 10.5 in toronto or newyork. The fact they are a favourite to make eastern finals with a shot at the cup helps

colinxx235
06-29-2016, 03:33 PM
If he wanted money the discussion on his endorsement value increase in toronto is undeniable. He would have been able to do so much more promotions/deals etc if he realllly wanted to push for money. I don't think he has ever given off that vibe, hence the great respect for him as a player. Seems to mostly want to win and be a big contributor wherever he is

Quizzes
06-29-2016, 03:41 PM
I think the sign and trade option with Stamkos is still viable for a potential suitor. If he signed with Tampa, it would be for max term of 8 years, but if he signed as a UFA elsewhere, it would only be for 7 years. Also, Tampa can still get a very nice return for him with a trade.

leftwing
06-29-2016, 06:39 PM
I think the sign and trade option with Stamkos is still viable for a potential suitor. If he signed with Tampa, it would be for max term of 8 years, but if he signed as a UFA elsewhere, it would only be for 7 years. Also, Tampa can still get a very nice return for him with a trade.

If it was a sign and trade why would he not have asked for more money? Makes no sense for Stamkos to take a hometown discount if he was agreeing to be traded upon signing. He left upwards of 15mil on the table, regardless of that extra year.

95EG6P
06-29-2016, 07:51 PM
Can't believe Edmonton got rid of hall

leftwing
06-29-2016, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by 95EG6P
Can't believe Edmonton got rid of hall

Taking a big gamble on this Larsson fella.

max_boost
06-29-2016, 09:02 PM
Winning > Money. Good call Steven

Hakkola
06-30-2016, 08:52 AM
I think some stuff may come out in the future that makes the hall trade less surprising, also Larsson is one of the best defensive defenseman in the league. I agree that they should have received a bit more for Hall but this trade actually makes Edmonton a better team and clears up cap space.

JRSC00LUDE
06-30-2016, 01:33 PM
Edmonton has a big deal in the works, they had to free up money.

pheoxs
06-30-2016, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
Edmonton has a big deal in the works, they had to free up money.

I dunno, 1.8 mill isn't much for a salary dump. Rumour is Shattenkirk wouldn't sign an extension which is why that trade fell through. I wonder if there just weren't any better options and Chia needed to do something for the D this year.

Will be interesting to see if we sign Lucic for 6.5mill x 7 years like the rumours are.

The only way I can see this Larsson deal being slightly positive is if he can play top pair #'s effectively, he's signed for fairly cheap for quite a few years left.

95EG6P
06-30-2016, 02:07 PM
[i]
Will be interesting to see if we sign Lucic for 6.5mill x 7 years like the rumours are.
[/B]

that is alot for lucic or am i out to lunch

asp integra
06-30-2016, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by 95EG6P

that is alot for lucic or am i out to lunch

That is a lot, and I think he will decline yearly as well. His style of play is a hard one to keep going for years.

anarchy
06-30-2016, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by pheoxs

I dunno, 1.8 mill isn't much for a salary dump. Rumour is Shattenkirk wouldn't sign an extension which is why that trade fell through. I wonder if there just weren't any better options and Chia needed to do something for the D this year.

The only way I can see this Larsson deal being slightly positive is if he can play top pair #'s effectively, he's signed for fairly cheap for quite a few years left.

To be fair, 1.8M isn't huge savings but pretty significant and it's more about the shift of dollars from LW to D. Clearly D is where they need help so if htey kept Hall at $6M and bring Lucic in at $6-6.5M, then they can't afford a Dman a that point.

I get why they traded for Larsson, good on Chia for having the cahones to break up the core and address a need. It definitely is poor asset management to get the value that he did but I guess you gotta do what you gotta do.

95EG6P - it's a lot for Lucic lol. Which is why I think most Flames fans are more than happy to see Edm or Van throw that kind of money at a second liner. Chances are it'll be a burden on their cap space in a few years.

403ep3
06-30-2016, 03:16 PM
$6.5 for Lucic would be hilarious.. I think he's only on a decline and won't be the player he is in 2-3 years time

BerserkerCatSplat
07-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Lucic goes to the Oilers for $6Mx7, full NMC all 7 years

Reimer to the Panthers, $3.4Mx5

Stall to Minnesota, $3.5Mx3

Ladd to the Islanders, $5.5Mx7

Okposo goes to Buffalo, $6Mx7

Brouwer to the Flames, $4.5Mx4

And inexplicably, despite apparently getting rid of Subban for character issues, the Canadiens have signed Radulov. :rofl:

Kloubek
07-01-2016, 01:49 PM
Eriksson to Vancouver too. Badly needed scoring there, and perhaps the first truly decent linemate for the Sedins ever.

Browser is a nice pickup for Calgary. Was kind of hoping he'd end up in Vancouver too.

Jlude
07-01-2016, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
Lucic goes to the Oilers for $6Mx7, full NMC all 7 years

Reimer to the Panthers, $3.4Mx5

Stall to Minnesota, $3.5Mx3

Ladd to the Islanders, $5.5Mx7

Okposo goes to Buffalo, $6Mx7

Brouwer to the Flames, $4.5Mx4

And inexplicably, despite apparently getting rid of Subban for character issues, the Canadiens have signed Radulov. :rofl:

That contract for Ladd though - they'll regret it. And Okposo's deal is good for him. So much term for players that are already declining.

BerserkerCatSplat
07-01-2016, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by Jlude

That contract for Ladd though - they'll regret it. And Okposo's deal is good for him. So much term for players that are already declining.

Yeah 7 years is too long for Ladd, but they frontloaded the shit out of that contract (~50% of it is signing bonus) so he'll be cheaper to buy out when he regresses. Still a buttload of cash though.

adam c
07-01-2016, 02:59 PM
I guess Lucic doesn't give a shit about winning

asp integra
07-01-2016, 03:57 PM
Originally posted by adam c
I guess Lucic doesn't give a shit about winning

He's already won. Cash money baby!

adam c
07-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by asp integra

He's already won. Cash money baby!

Cash money but he still lives in Edmonton

D'z Nutz
07-02-2016, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by anarchy
95EG6P - it's a lot for Lucic lol. Which is why I think most Flames fans are more than happy to see Edm or Van throw that kind of money at a second liner. Chances are it'll be a burden on their cap space in a few years.

I'm a big fan of Lucic and would have loved to have had him on the flames, but only at something like 2 or 3 years at $4M AAV. I agree that he's only got a two years, maybe three at the most, left in him. He's not a particularly fast skater to begin with and it's going get worse from here because he plays such a hard game. He's definitely the type of guy you want in your locker room.

95EG6P
07-02-2016, 08:06 AM

I'm a big fan of Lucic and would have loved to have had him on the flames, but only at something like 2 or 3 years at $4M AAV. I agree that he's only got a two years, maybe three at the most, left in him. He's not a particularly fast skater to begin with and it's going get worse from here because he plays such a hard game. He's definitely the type of guy you want in your locker room.

yeah battle of alberta is going to be fun

D'z Nutz
08-11-2016, 11:22 PM
Damn, Mike Johnson got the can. He was one of the small handful of analysts I liked on Rogers

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/report-rogers-axes-analyst-mike-johnson-in-puzzling-move.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Surprising news in the world of hockey.

David Shoalts of the Globe and Mail reports analyst Mike Johnson has parted ways with Sportsnet. According to Shoalts, the decision was Rogers.

Johnson’s departure is a significant loss for Rogers hockey coverage. The former Toronto Maple Leafs forward joined TSN in 2011 as a color commentator. He joined Sportsnet’s crew in 2015 after Rogers acquired NHL rights. With Rogers, Johnson displayed a strong, intelligent voice and on-camera presence and wasn’t afraid to speak his mind during broadcasts. He made a serious effort to frequently use analytics in his analysis. Johnson was a refreshing break from other analysts.

Sportsnet’s hockey coverage has gone through considerable changes with the departures of personalities Damien Cox, Glenn Healy, PJ Stock and George Stroumboulopoulos due to both financial restructuring and to attempt shaking up an often bland broadcast. David Amber and Ron McLean were both given increased roles. Johnson appeared set to have a much larger role on broadcasts, as he was one of the bright spots of the previous incarnation of Sportsnet’s hockey coverage, so his sudden separation from Rogers is surprising.

Why would Sportsnet axe Johnson? Your guess is as good as mine. Viewers were fond of Johnson and he was generally seen as knowledgable and entertaining personality and thus throwing him to the curb is a bit of a head-scratcher.

This won’t affect American fans – Johnson is still in the fold at NHL Network in the States, and will be back on NHL Tonight next week.

Sportsnet will quickly have to find a replacement for Johnson, which won’t be easy. His replacement better be a home run hire or else viewers will certainly question the decision going forward.

Team_Mclaren
08-12-2016, 12:15 AM
Damn, Mike Johnson got the can. He was one of the small handful of analysts I liked on Rogers

http://awfulannouncing.com/2016/report-rogers-axes-analyst-mike-johnson-in-puzzling-move.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Agreed!! Mike Johnson is one of the few i really enjoy listening to.

Quizzes
08-12-2016, 10:36 AM
Ugh... how much longer does Rogers own the broadcasting rights? They've been pretty sub-par with their production value. At least Damien Cox and Healy are gone, that's a big plus!

Mibz
08-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Replace Don Cherry with Patrick Roy and I'll start watching Coach's Corner again.

sputnik
08-12-2016, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
Agreed!! Mike Johnson is one of the few i really enjoy listening to.

Hopefully he goes back to TSN and returns as the colour commentator with Dennis Beyak for Jets games.

Jlude
08-12-2016, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Replace Don Cherry with Patrick Roy and I'll start watching Coach's Corner again.

I don't think they could get over his accent for the english broadcasts, but the rants would be pretty funny.

Jlude
08-12-2016, 07:12 PM

Hopefully he goes back to TSN and returns as the colour commentator with Dennis Beyak for Jets games.

I didn't mind that pair at all.

D'z Nutz
09-20-2016, 09:10 PM
Haha

max_boost
09-21-2016, 01:49 PM
Did I miss the WC thread?

Some really exciting games. Team NA has been awesome.

rage2
09-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Did I miss the WC thread?

Some really exciting games. Team NA has been awesome.
I didn't see it either. Watching the NAT game in the background right now, good to see Gaudreau score on a breakaway, and McDavid choke on his breakaway. That felt good haha.

edit - Gaudreau is playing in beast mode today. The commentators (ESPN) are finally recognizing it. Not sure if they're still McDavid + Matthews nuthuggers over on Sportsnet.

Quizzes
09-21-2016, 02:55 PM
Hughson has been praising Johnny quite a bit, almost as much as McDavid.

rage2
09-21-2016, 03:58 PM
God damn, what a great assist by Gaudreau. What a fucking goal by McKinnon. :eek:

D'z Nutz
09-21-2016, 04:39 PM
Hughson has been praising Johnny quite a bit, almost as much as McDavid.

Johnny knows where the praise belongs :rofl:

Quizzes
09-22-2016, 04:15 PM
Why does Finland suck so bad? That is all.

Oh well, at least Johnny is coming home. :goflames:

asp integra
09-22-2016, 04:51 PM
I was really hoping to see NA vs Canada. Would have been a hell of a game. Oh well, now Johnny can get that contact put to bed!

Jlude
09-24-2016, 08:33 PM
Trouba requests a trade, I hope we do trade him and get something big in return.

http://www.tsn.ca/agent-trouba-requests-trade-from-jets-1.573171

BerserkerCatSplat
09-24-2016, 10:25 PM
I think the trade request is mostly a power play to force the Jets to trade Myers - Trouba's agent is a real bloodhound, and he wants top-4 minutes with Giordano money. If Chevy calls his bluff and he does go, I'd like to see the Jets deal him to the cap-strapped Ducks for Lindholm.

D'z Nutz
09-24-2016, 11:03 PM
I think the trade request is mostly a power play to force the Jets to trade Myers - Trouba's agent is a real bloodhound, and he wants top-4 minutes with Giordano money. If Chevy calls his bluff and he does go, I'd like to see the Jets deal him to the cap-strapped Ducks for Lindholm.

Yeah, I agree. I'm not convinced he really wants to be traded. I think it's just a negotiation tactic.

Jlude
09-25-2016, 02:48 PM

Yeah, I agree. I'm not convinced he really wants to be traded. I think it's just a negotiation tactic.

Yes, it's a play. Bill Watters called this weeks ago and said exactly how this would play out.

I would be OK with seeing him go and the Jets getting a defenseman who can score.

sputnik
09-26-2016, 07:48 AM
Trade Trouba.

Work a deal with Edmonton for Nurse + something else and be done with it.

Trouba has had issues with the team in the past (coke habit) and doesn't sound like the locker room really likes him. Even Matt Perreault called him out.

"This guy plays big minutes, 22 minutes, and he’s gonna complain some sort of way about his ice time?"

bulaian
09-26-2016, 09:19 AM
Eight years, $49 M deal for Brad Marchand and Bruins

AAV of $6.125M

Marchand has full NMC for first five years, modified NTC in years six through eight. $24M of the $49M is signing bonus(es).

From Bob McKenzie

BerserkerCatSplat
09-26-2016, 01:51 PM
Trade Trouba.

Work a deal with Edmonton for Nurse + something else and be done with it.

Trouba has had issues with the team in the past (coke habit) and doesn't sound like the locker room really likes him. Even Matt Perreault called him out.

"This guy plays big minutes, 22 minutes, and he’s gonna complain some sort of way about his ice time?"

Matty P's second quote was pretty harsh as well.

"I think for his case, you know, it might be even worse not to come play. If we start the year and it goes well, then you know, it feels like we don’t even need you.”

To be fair, Perreault re-upped before his contract was over even though younger players are getting slotted above him, now he sees a young ELC guy trying to force the organization to give him the position he wants. That can't be seen highly in the dressing room, and Chevy can't allow the precedent to be set that ELCs in Winnipeg get to dictate terms or walk - the Peg has a hard enough time attracting players as it is. Shitty situation for the Jets, and if Chevy doesn't get exactly Trouba's LHD equivalent in trade, they could end up just sticking him in a box for a year.

Plus, out of the blue Trouba scheduled a radio interview with Lawless for today, and then suddenly his agent stepped in and said he's going to do the interview instead of Trouba. Very strange stuff, maybe Trouba is getting cold feet and no longer seeing eye to eye with his agent's hardball tactics.

sputnik
09-26-2016, 02:35 PM
the Peg has a hard enough time attracting players as it is. Shitty situation for the Jets

Considering Wheeler, Byfuglien, Scheifele and others have all been more than willing to sign long term contracts speaks to the fact that this isn't really that true. Scheifele has even said that he wants to stay in Winnipeg for his entire career.

At the end of the day as a Jets fan. I couldn't be happier. Trouba is acting like a spoiled brat and can sit if he doesn't want to play. Most of my friends are 100% fine with Trouba being traded away.

and if Chevy doesn't get exactly Trouba's LHD equivalent in trade, they could end up just sticking him in a box for a year.

The Jets depth chart is pretty deep. While it sucks to have Trouba sitting at home pouting about not getting what he wants, its not really a terrible loss even if they have to pull up Kichton or Morrisey from the Moose to cover the left side of the third defensive line.

At the end of the day, letting an RFA ELC think that he can call the shots is no way for a GM to run a team.

Trouba can sit. Especially given that his attitude stinks (me me me) and I wouldn't be surprised if his stint in rehab due to a coke problem a couple of years ago had something to do with the fact that it doesn't look like people really like him.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-26-2016, 02:41 PM
Yeah for sure, the Jets have a great core group of guys that love the team and its fans - but let's not pretend that Winnipeg doesn't find itself on a lot of no-trade lists, unfortunately.

I'm 100% on board with Chevy playing hardball and letting Trouba rot if that's what it takes to show that the GM calls the shots. I think either way, contract or no contract, Trouba is gone within two years - you can't make that kind of a public statement and expect to be welcomed back with open arms. It really just remains to be seen what the Jets can get in return.

I expect things will turn out similar to the Kyle Turris negotiations with the Yotes - lots of bluffing and bluster from the player's camp and then suddenly a change of heart at the end of November, sign a contract, get traded later. Gee, didn't Turris have the same agent as Trouba? ;)

Jlude
09-26-2016, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by bulaian
Eight years, $49 M deal for Brad Marchand and Bruins

AAV of $6.125M

Marchand has full NMC for first five years, modified NTC in years six through eight. $24M of the $49M is signing bonus(es).

From Bob McKenzie

This is great. Good to see a third rounder and someone from small town Canada work hard and get rewarded like that.

Matty P's second quote was pretty harsh as well.

"I think for his case, you know, it might be even worse not to come play. If we start the year and it goes well, then you know, it feels like we don’t even need you.”

To be fair, Perreault re-upped before his contract was over even though younger players are getting slotted above him, now he sees a young ELC guy trying to force the organization to give him the position he wants. That can't be seen highly in the dressing room, and Chevy can't allow the precedent to be set that ELCs in Winnipeg get to dictate terms or walk - the Peg has a hard enough time attracting players as it is. Shitty situation for the Jets, and if Chevy doesn't get exactly Trouba's LHD equivalent in trade, they could end up just sticking him in a box for a year.

Plus, out of the blue Trouba scheduled a radio interview with Lawless for today, and then suddenly his agent stepped in and said he's going to do the interview instead of Trouba. Very strange stuff, maybe Trouba is getting cold feet and no longer seeing eye to eye with his agent's hardball tactics.

I thought that Matty P's comment was great. Hopefully it gives Trouba something to think about. What if the Jets get off to a great start and are looking like they don't even need Trouba. He's fucked then.

I didn't hear about the interview switch, but that could certainly be a number of things. I wonder what the truth really is, if Trouba was talked into all of this by his agent or just really wants out.

Considering Wheeler, Byfuglien, Scheifele and others have all been more than willing to sign long term contracts speaks to the fact that this isn't really that true. Scheifele has even said that he wants to stay in Winnipeg for his entire career.

At the end of the day as a Jets fan. I couldn't be happier. Trouba is acting like a spoiled brat and can sit if he doesn't want to play. Most of my friends are 100% fine with Trouba being traded away.

The Jets depth chart is pretty deep. While it sucks to have Trouba sitting at home pouting about not getting what he wants, its not really a terrible loss even if they have to pull up Kichton or Morrisey from the Moose to cover the left side of the third defensive line.

At the end of the day, letting an RFA ELC think that he can call the shots is no way for a GM to run a team.

Trouba can sit. Especially given that his attitude stinks (me me me) and I wouldn't be surprised if his stint in rehab due to a coke problem a couple of years ago had something to do with the fact that it doesn't look like people really like him.

Yes, we have some of the biggest names in the NHL in Winnipeg. Scheifele just played on a line with McDavid and Matthews at the WCH and he loves it here. Will there be a higher number of players wanting to play in say Tampa over Winnipeg, well of course, but that doesn't mean we're not going to be able to attract talent. Also, when this team gets good, and it's already trending quickly in that direction, there will be players who are going to start looking very seriously at Winnipeg as a chance to win a cup if they sign with the Jets.

I agree, Trouba is acting like a brat, although I agree he should be paid fair market value, he's probably upset that he hasn't played well enough over the last two years to get paid what he had in his mind. I can't speak on the drug problems, but it was going around town pretty clearly that Bogo & Trouba were into it pretty hard. Such a waste of talent.

Yeah for sure, the Jets have a great core group of guys that love the team and its fans - but let's not pretend that Winnipeg doesn't find itself on a lot of no-trade lists, unfortunately.

I'm 100% on board with Chevy playing hardball and letting Trouba rot if that's what it takes to show that the GM calls the shots. I think either way, contract or no contract, Trouba is gone within two years - you can't make that kind of a public statement and expect to be welcomed back with open arms. It really just remains to be seen what the Jets can get in return.

I expect things will turn out similar to the Kyle Turris negotiations with the Yotes - lots of bluffing and bluster from the player's camp and then suddenly a change of heart at the end of November, sign a contract, get traded later. Gee, didn't Turris have the same agent as Trouba? ;)

Does he have the same agent? I didn't know that. I really don't think Chevyldayoff is going to get pushed around. He hardly makes a move and he's not going to do anything to damage the upswing the team has seen last year and in the off season with picking up Laine second overall.

BerserkerCatSplat
09-26-2016, 04:33 PM
Yep, Trouba's agent is Kurt Overhardt, who is the agent for notable RFA holdouts Turris, Dubinsky, and Johansen. He's got a long history of pulling this kind of stunt with his players when they hit the end of their ELCs.

asp integra
09-26-2016, 05:16 PM
Does the money Marchand signed for give the Flames a better bargaining chip to sign Johnny a little lower? Similar figures in scoring, although Johnny I'm sure will outscore Marchand by a few points at years end. Marchand also has more aspects to his game that Johnny doesn't (better defensively/can play PK, agitator/get up skin guy)

Jlude
09-26-2016, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by asp integra
Does the money Marchand signed for give the Flames a better bargaining chip to sign Johnny a little lower? Similar figures in scoring, although Johnny I'm sure will outscore Marchand by a few points at years end. Marchand also has more aspects to his game that Johnny doesn't (better defensively/can play PK, agitator/get up skin guy)

Quite the age difference between the two. I would say that Marchand won't repeat the performance he had last year, in fact I would bet on it. He'll do good, but those were career highs that he'll not meet again. Don't get me wrong, I certainly hope he does.

Johnny is just coming up and has not even begun to peak. I would say that Johnny gets a deal at 7mm AAV or more.

asp integra
09-27-2016, 10:27 AM
Im thinking 7 would be a good number for both sides. I hope they put something together soon, at least he has a good warm up from the world cup games.

dirtsniffer
09-27-2016, 06:12 PM
So no Anthem for team Europe? Seems strange. Should have figured something out. All the fans singing O' Canada was pretty awesome.

:hijack:

Lets go team Canada!

dirtsniffer
09-27-2016, 06:18 PM
Beauty start!