PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone learned to speak Mandarin as a second language?

vengie
06-23-2016, 01:31 PM
As the title says, has anyone here learned to speak Mandarin?

If so, what resources did you use? are the classes at the Chinese cultural center worth it? or is there a better alternative?

I appreciate any help.

nzwasp
06-23-2016, 02:31 PM
Do you have a reason for learning it?

I tried learning cantonese through the classes at the cultural center. I think a) if i had tried harder and b) my wife actually spoke it to me then I think I would of known more. However I found they words they teach and what is colloquially said within the family dynamic are two different things.

example (for cantonese)

English:
How are you?

Cantonese (as taught)
Nay ho ma

Cantonese (at home)
Lay ho ma

I imagine there might be some similarities with the official way you get taught mandarin and how people use it in dialog at home.

suntan
06-23-2016, 02:31 PM
For an English speaker it can be very difficult. It has tones, a totally unknown concept in English.

Grammatically however it's SVO, same as English. I also think it doesn't have things like postpositions, gender, etc. You just have memorize a bunch of characters.

nzwasp
06-23-2016, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by suntan
For an English speaker it can be very difficult. It has tones, a totally unknown concept in English.

Grammatically however it's SVO, same as English. I also think it doesn't have things like postpositions, gender, etc. You just have memorize a bunch of characters.

Well you dont have to memorize the characters if you only plan to speak not write it correct?

suntan
06-23-2016, 02:58 PM
I suppose they could just teach you orally. Sounds sexy.

lilmira
06-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by nzwasp

example (for cantonese)

English:
How are you?

Cantonese (as taught)
Nay ho ma

Cantonese (at home)
Lay ho ma

I imagine there might be some similarities with the official way you get taught mandarin and how people use it in dialog at home.

The first is correct and the second is not but a lot of people say it that way. It's almost like people writing should of instead of should have. We know what they are trying to say but only one is correct. Mandarin is probably easier to learn by an english speaking foreigner than cantonese. That would be a nightmare.

Quizzes
06-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Have you tried apps like Memrise that you can install on your phone to learn at your own pace?
I have it on my phone, but never forced myself to learn it, but it's a resource that's free.

Xtrema
06-23-2016, 03:20 PM
Here's some inspiration:

Z1RqxR872uw

Sugarphreak
06-23-2016, 03:34 PM

Strider
06-23-2016, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by Quizzes
Have you tried apps like Memrise that you can install on your phone to learn at your own pace?
I have it on my phone, but never forced myself to learn it, but it's a resource that's free.

I couldn't find Mandarin in any of the popular apps like duolingo or babbel, so ended up with a knockoff app called ChineseSkill which was okay for learning the basics. I swear it probably had some spyware though, as I kept getting notifications telling me to move things to my SD card.

Originally posted by Xtrema
Here's some inspiration:

Wife sent me that while I was in China... so much shame.

As others have said, courses and apps teach a different (usually more formal) vernacular than how people normally speak. The best way is if you can meet someone who speaks native Mandarin and is looking to practice their English.

TomcoPDR
06-23-2016, 04:27 PM
Have you tried "Dimsum Mandrian" on podcast? Have you tried dating a Mandrian speaking Asian?

max_boost
06-23-2016, 04:37 PM
It's much easier to learn Mandarin and lots of white dudes can speak it including Mark Zuckerberg.

Good luck.

rage2
06-23-2016, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
The same word can have multiple meanings depending on if you do an up, down or neutral tone throughout saying it.
gao gao gao. Choose the right combinations of tones and you get plastic dog penis. :rofl:

TomcoPDR
06-23-2016, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by rage2

gao gao gao. Choose the right combinations of tones and you get plastic dog penis. :rofl:

What combos can we get with dieu dieu dieu

Xtrema
06-23-2016, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

What combos can we get with dieu dieu dieu

Change Swap Fuck?

jwslam
06-27-2016, 12:06 PM
http://studymorechinese.com/profiles/blogs/why-are-tones-so-important

Originally posted by lilmira
It's almost like people writing should of instead of should have.
If you're going to post an example, post it properly.
Should have is shortened as "should've". "Should of" is what people who butcher English say.

Cooked Rice
06-29-2016, 02:09 AM
I learned Mandarin via high school. But it's also skewed because I knew a fair bit of Cantonese going into it which helps a lot, and both my parents are fluent in Mandarin/Canto/Viet.

We used the Ni Hao language books. Although just about all my classmates(caucasians mostly) who stuck with the course through Grade 9-12 spoke and understood Mandarin phenomenally well by the end. Of course a lot of it had to do with our very good teacher.

If you could find a tutor that can work with you through the Ni Hao books, I think you could do well.

I'm learning Japanese right now via private instruction. We use the Genki books (considered one of the best for Japanese) and I wish they were written as well as the Ni Hao system.

You can also try online private instruction via iTalki etc...

As for learning the Kanji... It's hard. I learned to read a ton of it in high school but now I've forgot most of it, which sucks because it would sure be helpful with my Japanese at this stage.

4runneron36s
06-29-2016, 03:37 PM
Gawd, I still can't pronounce "beef" properly in Cantonese.

suntan
06-29-2016, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
It's much easier to learn Mandarin and lots of white dudes can speak it including Mark Zuckerberg.

Good luck. His Mandarin is fucking awful.

jwslam
07-07-2016, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by rage2
How many kinds of water are there?
zzLcQu0I1H8

cyra1ax
07-07-2016, 11:10 PM
I grew up speaking a very slanged version of mandarin(east Malaysian/Singaporean)....was all pumped till I went on my first trip over there, and realized that my mandarin wasn't worth a shit outside of Malaysia/Singapore :banghead:

Fortunately, people in China take one look at me and can tell that I'm a banana anyways, so I just stick with English.