PDA

View Full Version : Add wife onto land title...? Only way is to go to land titles office downtown?

JohnnyHockey
06-26-2016, 07:11 PM
Quick question because I'm too lazy to read all the info, but is the only way to add someone onto a land title (for our house) to go down to the land titles office downtown? That's pretty inconvenient as they're only open 8:15-4pm M-F...just curious if anyone else knows of another way that's more convenient?

max_boost
06-26-2016, 07:36 PM
I don't think so.

Also, don't do it haha

Xtrema
06-26-2016, 07:40 PM
You can do it by mail.

But I would do it in person in case someone fucks up or you get the from wrong. Plus Canada Post may go on strike July 1st.

ExtraSlow
06-26-2016, 08:00 PM
Why do you want to do this? Much easier to have only one person on title if you can swing it.

FraserB
06-26-2016, 08:04 PM
Your name on appreciating assets, hers on depreciating ones.

Put your name on the house, and hers on the cars.

I'm sure rage will be by to confirm.

JohnnyHockey
06-26-2016, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
Why do you want to do this? Much easier to have only one person on title if you can swing it.

I'm just thinking if I die...how do I ensure she gets the house? Just put it in a will I guess? :dunno:

Xtrema, are you sure about that? What's to stop someone from filling out a form and mailing it and adding their name onto my house's title?

TomcoPDR
06-26-2016, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
I don't think so.

Also, don't do it haha

Originally posted by FraserB
Your name on appreciating assets, hers on depreciating ones.

Put your name on the house, and hers on the cars.

I'm sure rage will be by to confirm.

These guys got the right idea.
:bigpimp: :bigpimp: :bigpimp:

dirtsniffer
06-26-2016, 09:22 PM
If your married it doesn't really matter if she is on it or not.

BananaFob
06-26-2016, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by dirtsniffer
If your married it doesn't really matter if she is on it or not.

This is correct, she doesn't need to be on title assuming this is for your primary residence.

http://clg.ab.ca/programs-services/dial-a-law/rights-to-your-home-under-the-dower-act/

TomcoPDR
06-26-2016, 10:23 PM
But doesn't dower act apply with long term gf's too?

Clever
06-27-2016, 12:05 AM
No, dower act only applies if you are married and either you or you wife lived in the property. AIP does not fall under the Dower Act, last time I checked.

sabad66
06-27-2016, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by ExtraSlow
why is it much easier to have only one name on the title? (curious because i'm getting married this year and plan on adding her name to the title as well)

rage2
06-27-2016, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by sabad66
why is it much easier to have only one name on the title? (curious because i'm getting married this year and plan on adding her name to the title as well)
Disadvantages are it adds to the complexity in case of a divorce (especially if mortgage is still tied to it), complications if one spouse goes through bankruptcy, etc. There are also tax liabilities if the separation stretches out for long periods of time before divorce and one spouse moves out for long periods of time while property values increase, even though it doesn't affect division of assets in the case of divorce. There are more complications if you're dealing with homes that are not primary residences.

Advantages are in case of death of one spouse ownership is immediate (having it in a will takes time to divide assets and ownership and can lead to other complications), and protects one spouse from fucking over the other by selling the home without permission.

Really, speak to a property lawyer and figure out what works best for your situation before blindly adding someone else to the title.

JohnnyHockey
06-27-2016, 11:23 AM
Great help guys...thanks

ExtraSlow
06-27-2016, 12:30 PM
ONe easy way to do it, if you aren't in a rush, is at mortgage renewal time, since you'll already be messing with the title, particularly if you are switching lenders.