PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads/Rotors: How to choose?

Doogals
06-26-2016, 08:55 PM
2012 Jeep Patriot Limited (4X4 5-speed manual) with 83,000km on the original pads/rotors (which have never been serviced) and need to be replaced.

I've heard from some other Patriot owners who got 150-250,000km out of their original OEM brakes, but that hasn't been my experience so I'm looking at aftermarket options.

Is there any consensus on the best brand of pads/rotors? Does it depend on the vehicle they're installed on? Not sure where to look for reliable reviews.

Any recommendations?

nobb
06-26-2016, 10:27 PM
Take a look on RockAuto. Even with the exchange rate, their pricing is still better than the local options. My vote would be to get an economy rotor + daily driver category ceramic pad from a reputable company like Wagner, Raybestos, Centric, etc. I really like the Centric products because their pads also come with the hardware kit.

Don't cheap out on the lower grade stuff. I bough Napa branded ceramic pads for a Ford Ranger and they'll be done with 40,000 kms whereas the OEM pads lasted 140,000 kms.

J.M.
06-26-2016, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by nobb
Take a look on RockAuto. Even with the exchange rate, their pricing is still better than the local options. My vote would be to get an economy rotor + daily driver category ceramic pad from a reputable company like Wagner, Raybestos, Centric, etc. I really like the Centric products because their pads also come with the hardware kit.

Don't cheap out on the lower grade stuff. I bough Napa branded ceramic pads for a Ford Ranger and they'll be done with 40,000 kms whereas the OEM pads lasted 140,000 kms.

:werd: RockAuto FTW

I prefer Centric rotors and Centric brake pads

GTR_Auto
06-26-2016, 11:58 PM
I can usually get pretty close to rock auto prices

BokCh0y
06-27-2016, 12:00 AM
If I go with aftermarket, it's via Rockauto.

G-ZUS
06-27-2016, 10:39 AM
Shipping rotors is expensive, i never find it worth my while to order rotors off of RockAuto.

BokCh0y
06-27-2016, 12:33 PM
I order a shit ton and pick it all up at the MSO.

J.M.
06-27-2016, 12:59 PM
The price of shipping rotors isn't that bad when you order a bunch of other stuff at the same time. Also make sure it's all from the same location or else it ends up costing more for shipping.

HiTempguy1
06-27-2016, 03:53 PM
Rotors are rotors :dunno:

Most people who complain of "warped" rotors are actually complaining of uneven pad buildup, usually caused by doing an emergency brake to a complete stop, and then keeping the pad roasting against the rotor. The pad material burns onto the rotor and causes a "high spot". This feels like a warped rotor, but it isn't.

Cheapest rotors you can get, my 2 cents. I rally on $45 a piece Certified rotors, they've been great.